UnevenEdge

Toonami Unevenedge Ratings Discussion 3.0: Let The Good Times Roll!!!!!

58 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

It's ONE week. Can't draw any conclusions from just ONE data point!

MHA pretty much kept pace with DBS last week. Even if it doesn't beat it, if it follows suit when DBS also has a good week, it could still come close to S4 numbers.

Eh We'll just have to wait and see if that happens....currently I Can't see any other show that could come this year with as much mainstream appeal as MHA so  this is about it as far as heavy hitters go

Edited by CountFrylock

So now, on top of ProgrammingInsider not having the numbers we want, ShowBuzzDaily is down. Going to it shows a sample blog that says they'll be back "as soon as possible". But personally, I think it'd be nice if they missed posting on Tuesday, just to force you schmucks to talk about something else. 😗

13 hours ago, Blatch said:

So now, on top of ProgrammingInsider not having the numbers we want, ShowBuzzDaily is down. Going to it shows a sample blog that says they'll be back "as soon as possible". But personally, I think it'd be nice if they missed posting on Tuesday, just to force you schmucks to talk about something else. 😗

Following ratings is pretty pointless at this point. The networks are all pretending that they don't know how many people are watching their shows. 

They know.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2021 at 10:00 AM, Daos said:

Following ratings is pretty pointless at this point. The networks are all pretending that they don't know how many people are watching their shows. 

They know.

and they won't tell us because "Classified" even though without viewers the shows would go nowhere...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the diligent work of AmbientVirus and WJBraden on Twitter, Toonami Faithful now has a new source for ratings info. As far as I know, the site we'll be getting the data from won't be posting it on their own blog or anything so Toonami Faithful will get this data before Reddit or any other site or forum.

They unfortunately cannot get the ratings for May 15th or May 22nd but they have May 29th and should be able to get each week going forward. For May 15th and May 22nd we'll have to hold out hope that showbuzzdaily can post that somewhere eventually.

https://toonamifaithful.com/toonami-ratings-for-may-29th-2021/

• Like 4

Full deets:

8    MY HERO ACADEMIA (00:00)    ADSM    0.18    386
16    FOOD WARS (01:00)        ADSM    0.14    265
18    DR. STONE (00:30)        ADSM    0.14    257
28    PROMISED NEVERLAND, THE (01:30)    ADSM    0.11    223
42    BLACK CLOVER (02:00)        ADSM    0.09    173
44    NARUTO: SHIPPUDEN (02:30)    ADSM    0.08    167

I also asked for AOT and DBS, so awaiting that. They apparently don't post reruns #s anymore, so if someone would be ever so kind as to politely ask the gentlemen to include them each week (I'll probably forget) or see if they can do a special Toonami readout like Doug at PI did, much obliged.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

Looking better.

Toonami Faithful posted May 15th today. May 23rd will be posted on Thursday and June 5th hopefully soon. We got the hookup for the two missing weeks.

Here they are:

DRAGON BALL SUPER ADSM 05/15/2021 12:00 AM 0.17 0.336
MY HERO ACADEMIA ADSM 05/15/2021 12:30 AM 0.15 0.300
DR. STONE ADSM 05/15/2021 01:00 AM 0.15 0.286
FOOD WARS ADSM 05/15/2021 01:30 AM 0.14 0.272
PROMISED NEVERLAND, THE ADSM 05/15/2021 02:00 AM 0.12 0.240
BLACK CLOVER ADSM 05/15/2021 02:30 AM 0.11 0.193
NARUTO: SHIPPUDEN ADSM 05/15/2021 03:00 AM 0.13 0.228
ATTACK ON TITAN ADSM 05/15/2021 03:30 AM 0.10 0.181

DRAGON BALL SUPER ADSM 05/22/2021 12:00 AM 0.17 0.356
MY HERO ACADEMIA ADSM 05/22/2021 12:30 AM 0.17 0.317
DR. STONE ADSM 05/22/2021 01:00 AM 0.15 0.275
FOOD WARS ADSM 05/22/2021 01:30 AM 0.12 0.208
PROMISED NEVERLAND, THE ADSM 05/22/2021 02:00 AM 0.08 0.159
BLACK CLOVER ADSM 05/22/2021 02:30 AM 0.07 0.135
NARUTO: SHIPPUDEN ADSM 05/22/2021 03:00 AM 0.11 0.203
ATTACK ON TITAN ADSM 05/22/2021 03:30 AM 0.10 0.153
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wjbraden said:

Full deets:

8    MY HERO ACADEMIA (00:00)    ADSM    0.18    386
16    FOOD WARS (01:00)        ADSM    0.14    265
18    DR. STONE (00:30)        ADSM    0.14    257
28    PROMISED NEVERLAND, THE (01:30)    ADSM    0.11    223
42    BLACK CLOVER (02:00)        ADSM    0.09    173
44    NARUTO: SHIPPUDEN (02:30)    ADSM    0.08    167

I also asked for AOT and DBS, so awaiting that. They apparently don't post reruns #s anymore, so if someone would be ever so kind as to politely ask the gentlemen to include them each week (I'll probably forget) or see if they can do a special Toonami readout like Doug at PI did, much obliged.

AOT and Super
ATTACK ON TITAN (ADSM) - Sat (03:00) 0.06 140
DRAGON BALL SUPER (ADSM) - Sat (03:30) 0.07 155

Edited by wjbraden
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 10:25 AM, OwlChemist81 said:

Weird--now we know May 29th and June 12th but NOT June 5th!

Well now I wouldn't say that...

Time Program Viewers (000) 18-49 Rating
12:00am My Hero Academia 281 0.15
12:30am Dr Stone 212 0.11
1:00am Food Wars 204 0.09
1:30am The Promised Neverland 171 0.08
2:00am Black Clover 154 0.08
2:30am Naruto Shippuden 146 0.08
3:00am Attack on Titan 129 0.06
3:30am Dragon Ball Super 129 0.06
Source:http://www.ratingsryan.com/2021/06/saturday-june-5-2021-tv-ratings-top-150.html    

• Like 1

Been a while since I've done one of these:

Japanese airdate years for Toonami shows:

My Hero Academia - 2021

Dr. Stone - 2021

YashaHime - 2020

Food Wars - 2018

Black Clover - 2020

Naruto: Shippuden - 2014

Dragon Ball Super - 2018

Leaving: The Promised Neverland - 2021

Pretty fresh lineup. Nothing much more than 3 years old except Shippuden!

5 minutes ago, elfie said:

I  like Tuca and Bertie more.

Tuca And Bertie's far more obscure compared to R&M though which at this point is like A Massive Cultural Show

You'll never have people going ape shit over T&B like you did with Pickle rick and the Mcdonalds chicken nuggets sauce

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

it's crazy how rick and morty just demolishes everything on adultswim(Makes me wonder where all those came from and why they suddenly stop caring to tune in when R&M Isn't On)

Rick and Morty is the new Family Guy, which is good since Family Guy is going bye bye.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jman said:

Rick and Morty is the new Family Guy, which is good since Family Guy is going bye bye.

did family guy ever reach the heights where a fast food restaurant altered it's appearance to be family guy themed?(referencing how recently A Wendy's In California turned into Morty's temporarily and had A R&M Themed Attraction)

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Rick & Morty did well. Granted, it had Family Guy for its lead-in.

Toonami had Black Dynamite reruns as its lead-in, and, though I watched and enjoyed them, Toonami's ratings last Saturday made 2014's look good. Brace yourselves:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2021/06/tv-ratings-for-saturday-19th-june-2021.html?m=1

Huh.

Is this the last time Adult Swim observes Juneteenth?

32 minutes ago, elfie said:

Huh.

They will probably celebrate Juneteenth again but revise how they do it. Perhaps something after midnight right as the day becomes June 19th.

And holy shit, Boondocks and Black Dynamite absolutely tanked Toonami this week. I’m sure they’ll be just fine but it does make me concerned about Toonami’s future without a Family Guy lead-in. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Toonami had Black Dynamite reruns as its lead-in, and, though I watched and enjoyed them, Toonami's ratings last Saturday made 2014's look good.

Even on what counts for a good night nowadays, 2014's ratings look good compared to recent years.

51 minutes ago, Sketch said:

They will probably celebrate Juneteenth again but revise how they do it. Perhaps something after midnight right as the day becomes June 19th.

And holy shit, Boondocks and Black Dynamite absolutely tanked Toonami this week. I’m sure they’ll be just fine but it does make me concerned about Toonami’s future without a Family Guy lead-in. 

I Always never understood how Family Guy And Toonami Meshed so well when the two are drastically different

the chances the average family guy fan would stick around for MHA should be quite low

2 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

I Always never understood how Family Guy And Toonami Meshed so well when the two are drastically different

the chances the average family guy fan would stick around for MHA should be quite low

And yet the data suggests that MHA would have gotten a good 200,000 more viewers with Family Guy airing right in front of it.

37 minutes ago, Sketch said:

And yet the data suggests that MHA would have gotten a good 200,000 more viewers with Family Guy airing right in front of it.

and why is that? I Still haven't found an answer

are they just too lazy to change the channel or something  is that it? because that's the only explanation i can come up with

MHA And Family Guy Are So different that it boggles the mind that A Fan Of Family guy would stay for MHA

Edited by CountFrylock

People can like more than one kind of show. There was a time when I would have watched Family Guy before the anime on Adult Swim. I don’t often do that now but I still can enjoy most episodes of Family Guy I have seen.

And consider teenagers and young adults who like anime, a lot of them would also find Family Guy entertaining in their formative years.

16 hours ago, elfie said:

Huh.

Juneteenth falls on a Sunday next year, and a Monday the year after that (2023). With 2024 being a leap year, the next time it's on a Saturday would be 2027, so if Toonami's still around, it won't affect it again until then.

They definitely should have aired Cleveland-heavy episodes of Family Guy instead of Black Dynamite though.

As for the future of Toonami without Family Guy as its lead-in, my guess is that they'll probably just put American Dad there. That worked for Bleach in 2010. And after Dragon Ball Super ends it's current 3:30 AM run, they might just stick it at 8 PM and double it up.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Sketch said:

People can like more than one kind of show. There was a time when I would have watched Family Guy before the anime on Adult Swim. I don’t often do that now but I still can enjoy most episodes of Family Guy I have seen.

And consider teenagers and young adults who like anime, a lot of them would also find Family Guy entertaining in their formative years.

I enjoyed the flow of the block from 2003-2008 when you had Futurama Family Guy, WS originals, then anime. I never felt like it didn’t all belong together because they were always packaged that way. I especially liked it when anime had its own BW cards (although they wore out the welcome with many)

52 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Juneteenth falls on a Sunday next year, and a Monday the year after that (2023). With 2024 being a leap year, the next time it's on a Saturday would be 2027, so if Toonami's still around, it won't affect it again until then.

They definitely should have aired Cleveland-heavy episodes of Family Guy instead of Black Dynamite though.

As for the future of Toonami without Family Guy as its lead-in, my guess is that they'll probably just put American Dad there. That worked for Bleach in 2010. And after Dragon Ball Super ends it's current 3:30 AM run, they might just stick it at 8 PM and double it up.

I wonder if they even still have the rights to air The Cleveland Show.

Hey everyone. So while not completely on topic, I have a small favor to ask of y'all (if you have a few minutes to spare). I'm doing a short survey to see how current Toonami viewers watch anime, on and off-block, and what their viewing habits are in general. Until it was brought to my attention, I never really realized that there's only a handful of anime that I've seen every single episode of (for one reason or another), despite being a longtime super fan. I don't always watch the block week to week, and many shows that kind of drag for me I don't make a point to stay up and watch or get caught back up (if I jump back in). So I thought it would be interesting see if anyone else feels that same way about things as I do.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FVK6BCC

The savior of ratings humbly requests your feedback. Stay gold 😎

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, wjbraden said:

Hey everyone. So while not completely on topic, I have a small favor to ask of y'all (if you have a few minutes to spare). I'm doing a short survey to see how current Toonami viewers watch anime, on and off-block, and what their viewing habits are in general. Until it was brought to my attention, I never really realized that there's only a handful of anime that I've seen every single episode of (for one reason or another), despite being a longtime super fan. I don't always watch the block week to week, and many shows that kind of drag for me I don't make a point to stay up and watch or get caught back up (if I jump back in). So I thought it would be interesting see if anyone else feels that same way about things as I do.

Dunny done.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sketch said:

i suppose i just don't understand why if these people like anime them sticking around to watch toonami depends on if family guy airs before the block or not

if you like anime and have watched toonami before then deciding not to watch it because family guy isn't airing before it starts just doesn't make sense to me

put family guy in and they'll watch toonami   take it out then they'll skip toonami

i just don't understand the logic there

Edited by CountFrylock

4 hours ago, wjbraden said:

I got you fam

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

i suppose i just don't understand why if these people like anime them sticking around to watch toonami depends on if family guy airs before the block or not

if you like anime and have watched toonami before then deciding not to watch it because family guy isn't airing before it starts just doesn't make sense to me

put family guy in and they'll watch toonami   take it out then they'll skip toonami

i just don't understand the logic there

It’s the nature of a casual viewer but also consider this scenario, someone likes MHA and maybe Dr. Stone but they tune in at 11pm and see Black Dynamite is airing instead of Family Guy and decide to just record the anime to watch later rather than come back in an hour. When the routine is messed with they might just say f it and do something else rather than come back. Casual viewers are fickle like that.

17 minutes ago, Sketch said:

It’s the nature of a casual viewer but also consider this scenario, someone likes MHA and maybe Dr. Stone but they tune in at 11pm and see Black Dynamite is airing instead of Family Guy and decide to just record the anime to watch later rather than come back in an hour. When the routine is messed with they might just say f it and do something else rather than come back. Casual viewers are fickle like that.

i just assumed those people wouldn't have anything better to do so late at night if they were tuning into adultswim 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey y'all. Just wanted to pop in and let you know the results of my survey. Took it over to r/Toonami and did a breakdown there (guess you can't see the images here so you have to click the link and view 'em there):

Interesting stuff overall. Lots of primarily cable-watchers still around, a healthy spread of age groups tuning in, and many people candidly admitting to sailing the seas lol

Edited by wjbraden
  • Confused 2

Pre-4th Of July Toonami not exactly fireworks, but not a dud either, especially MHA:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2021/07/ratings-for-saturday-3rd-july-2021.html?m=1

We have no way of knowing how well the R&M rerun did prior to MHA, but my guess is >500K and 0.22 18-49. Dr. Stone didn't hold MHA very well, but YashaHime and Food Wars! held their respective lead-ins much better. Unfortunately, the recap episode of Black Clover didn't do it or Shippuden any favors.

I guess it was the action-animation equivalent of a Roman candle or a sparkler in terms of ratings, but certainly not boom-cannon level like R&M.

I'd say YH should move up to 12:30 after Dr. Stone ends unless that slot is destined to host an original like Fena. Would they take a chance on paring down to 2 Family Guys and running the R&M rerun at 11 PM and kicking off Toonami with an original. Remember, not all originals got that opportunity: Space Dandy and Samurai Jack certainly did, but FLCL had to follow Dragon Ball Super and DBZ Kai. Fena may also share that fate, following MHA, but I would rather the block expand for Fena and also welcome something like Megalobox 2: Nomad into the fold. But I fear we might not see Nomad for a while, at least not until Black Clover ends, which, take heart, IS only about a quarter-year away.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Confused 1