UnevenEdge

Toonami Unevenedge Ratings Discussion 3.0: Let The Good Times Roll!!!!!

17 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

It's funny. I was talking to this 18 year-old who was shadowing my radio show not too long ago, they brought up Toonami and apparently nostalgia for AS Toonami actually exists (they were 9 when Toonami 2.0 started).

Then they said "Why did they get rid of it?" I was like "Uh... it's still on the air."

The streaming wars have made them believe Toonami's doesn't exist anymore, because as far as most people are concerned via their viewing habits, it doesn't.

we're in a time where toonami is just seen as outdated and irrelevant

seen some comments from people saying toonami should just die already because streaming is the future and only nostalgic old farts care about A Weekly TV Block in 2022

I’ve given up on them being THE place where big shows premiere. Many just don’t see it as the best way to do that. 

I’ve pretty much come to terms of what Toonami can be so in the time it has left, I’d like it to just play some intresting   shows rather then chase things after they are already popular 

Even the idea of originals seems to just bring a bunch of people wondering when they’ll hit streaming 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

I’ve given up on them being THE place where big shows premiere. Many just don’t see it as the best way to do that. 

I’ve pretty much come to terms of what Toonami can be so in the time it has left, I’d like it to just play some intresting   shows rather then chase things after they are already popular 

Even the idea of originals seems to just bring a bunch of people wondering when they’ll hit streaming 

they are still a business though and have to hype up the audience somehow...

playing for example  Dagashi Kashi upfront isn't gonna do that...

I'm not expecting them to lead any conversation but if it's between toonami being the home of table scrap shows or concluding and riding off into the sunset

I'd take the latter...otherwise toonami runs the risk of just turning into a Classics Line-Up for the old fogies to remember the good old days

at that point why even have toonami if you can't afford anything that wouldn't be in the walmart bargain bin section?

staying up late on a saturday night to watch the classics/obscure shows would seem cool at first but after awhile with nothing actually new to talk about

it would lose it's flavor and eventually It'd be hard to justify staying up to watch such old content where the dub had been available for several years to a decade(maybe older in some cases)

Edited by CountFrylock

RE: This week's numbers, I'd like to point out that the AS broadcast itself has been rife with technical issues lately. The worst of the issues has been the simulcast stream on as.com being down for several hours each night (with even Hulu's Live TV stream being completely off the air this weekend, and showing completely bizarre listings as well), so it's quite possible that's the real culprit here. Hopefully with Gill taking the helm with on air operations, things can stabilize on that front, because quite frankly it's been pretty embarrassing/mind-boggling as to how many screw-ups there's been of late. Also, we need to chill with the 11th-hour show additions resulting in grids not getting updated in time, week after week after week. We get all that settled and maybe we'll be back on a level playing field again.

Edited by wjbraden
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, wjbraden said:

RE: This week's numbers, I'd like to point out that the AS broadcast itself has been rife with technical issues lately. The worst of the issues has been the simulcast stream on as.com being down for several hours each night (with even Hulu's Live TV stream being completely off the air this weekend, and showing completely bizarre listings as well), so it's quite possible that's the real culprit here. Hopefully with Gill taking the helm with on air operations, things can stabilize on that front, because quite frankly it's been pretty embarrassing/mind-boggling as to how many screw-ups there's been of late. Also, we need to chill with the 11th-hour show additions resulting in grids not getting updated in time, week after week after week. We get all that settled and maybe we'll be back on a level playing field again.

still dunno how i feel about doubled up one piece though...even with two episodes per week  it's pacing is terrible

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, wjbraden said:

Good point, this. Ironically, this past weekend was the first time in months the schedule week-to-week was exactly the same--seriously, that hasn't happened since 9/25-10/2--and while I have actually enjoyed the chaos, that is NOT how to grow an audience for a block despite the fact that the 2 originals so far have been consistent no matter what other chaos could be seen deeper in the block. But now Shenmue seems set to upset even THAT--OR DOES IT!? Yes, there will be the knee-jerk moving everything half an hour later this Saturday, but then what happens the week after that? Does a new show replace Black Lotus, leaving Shenmue at 12:30, or does Shenmue move up to midnight? And if the latter, then why not just debut it on 2/12 at Midnight instead? This is what leads me to believe it's the former, and even if the lowest of the low-hanging fruit (AOT) hasn't been announced yet, I gotta believe it's coming.

But then again, that would render the One Piece "shanty" promo obsolete after just one week, unless they recorded an alternate version which replaces "1:30" with "2 AM!"

And though TV grids are supposedly correct, Toonami hasn’t posted a schedule for this week via Facebook so it’s bound to catch people who look for that info on FB a bit of confusion this Saturday.

Probably after next week things will be stable and that should help increase the viewership unless the viewership has decided what Toonami is airing isn’t what they want to watch.

Black Lotus ended and Shenmue began, and Toonami returned to the Top 50 this week:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-2-5-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-2-5-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

All of the first half of Toonami made the chart, and Black Lotus's thrilling conclusion even cracked the Top 30! And, both originals beat the Senior Bowl in Adults 18-49!

Attack On Titan, for all its popularity, returns and misses the Top 50:

Spoiler

2022-2-12-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-2-12-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Checking in at #55 with a 0.08 in Adults 18-49 and 172K total viewers, it just might illustrate why Toonami is leery of paying big bucks for Demon Slayer Season 2. It seems they wouldn't get much bang for their buck in commercial advertising.

Edited by OwlChemist81

Well, AOT IS at least a dub premiere, but it seems the non-dub premiere Yashahime did better in that timeslot last year. But that factor of world premiere vs. dub premiere is why Shenmue comes first.

AOT was and is such an unfortunate phenomenon: a bona fide subtitled Internet success that came close but just couldn't quite find the same success on Toonami. Perhaps Shenmue will be a "sleeper" hit, but if so, it's still half asleep.

And Shenmue does stream on [as] website and app; plus a subtitled version streams on Crunchyroll.

Edited by OwlChemist81

Nobody watches AOT dubbed.

It's a weird situation. For the inaugural season, the dub came out like a full year after the original subbed dropped (it had been on Netflix in the US for like 6 months before a dub was even produced). 

It's a huge contrast to something like MHA, which has plenty of dub watchers simply because by the time that came around the window between the Japanese airing and the dub was minimal.

Doesn't help that AOT's dub is amongst the most hit-or-miss modern dubs either (to the point where I question while watching certain scenes if this is the 90's again).

Edited by MasqueradeOverture
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

it really does seem like the hype for AOT On toonami just isn't there anymore....which makes the "Toonami gets to air the dub one day before funimation streams it" bit pointless

It would probably do even worse if they didn’t get the dub premiere.

• Confused 1

Well, looks like despite the Olympics, we had the best ratings of the year so far!

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-2-19-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-2-19-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

I can't fault the uptick in synergy we've seen lately between Warner Media channels, but if only something Toonami-related aired on TNT after the all-star game, just imagine the ratings! Doubt they'll go that far though...

Wednesday: https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-wednesday-2-23-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Thursday: https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-thursday-2-24-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

See the difference? Everyone was focused on Ukraine. Even NBA on TNT checked in at #19. If Toonami can break through this wall of news coverage at all to land Shenmue in the Top 50, it will be a small miracle!

It's Fat Tuesday, a.k.a. Mardi Gras, so let the good times roll...unless you're in Ukraine.

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-2-26-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Oddly enough, College Basketball was still king, despite the wall-to-wall news coverage. But it did shut Toonami out of the Top 50 as I expected. The same sort of thing happened on 1/9/21 in the aftermath of the 1/6/21 insurrection, BTW. But that eventually cooled off and this will too, at least in terms of impact on the cable viewership landscape. Either that, or it will be the end of the world, so let the good times roll while we still can!

...and pray for Ukraine!

Edited by OwlChemist81

I find it stupid that a major geopolitical event can tank the block's ratings. I would assume people would be more likely to get away from the news, but between the chaos of last January and now this, it seems people want to stay informed. And for that, I wish them a very I hope their brains start leaking out of their skulls.

Now, as for the block itself: it's good! Though I do wish I was watching more than two shows at the moment. Not only is Shenmue doing a backflip over the really low bar the other CR originals have set, but the block finally has some much-needed stability, and it should last for at least another month.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Blatch said:

I don't know anyone who parties for Mardi Gras, and I can't imagine it's a big thing outside of the South. But hey, at least college basketball is a solid vice. I can't wait for this year's tournament to be relatively normal.

Thank God, because MLB just fell off a cliff and into oblivion.

Season starting sometime in April, maybe. It did always seem kinda odd that opening day was during NCAA Basketball Tournament anyway though.

Edited by OwlChemist81

On 2/2/2022 at 7:59 AM, CountFrylock said:

we're in a time where toonami is just seen as outdated and irrelevant

seen some comments from people saying toonami should just die already because streaming is the future and only nostalgic old farts care about A Weekly TV Block in 2022

Well I mean, that time was 10 years ago but yeah.

On 2/23/2022 at 4:26 PM, Jman said:

Shenmue continuing to beat AOT makes me happier than it should.

Shenmue is a better show and at this point it has a coherent and understandable plot.

What was going on in last weeks AOT, Eren got his head cut off and ended up in the dreamtime and ended up in there with his brother who was chained to the ground but not really and there was a weird god child there but apparently Zeke controls the god child because he learned how to do that somehow cuz maybe he read a book or something.

I may sound like I'm drunk but that's a pretty decent summary of what went down.

• Confused 1

The Ukraine news frenzy hadn't cooled off enough to let Toonami shows back into the Top 50, and in fact, only Shenmue cracked 200K and everything did much worse with 18-49:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-3-5-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

I wouldn't expect to see Toonami shows charting in the Top 50 any time soon. Attack on Ukraine is much more important than Attack on Titan, it would seem. Though of course we were also on the cusp of March Madness and College Basketball is king.

Edited by OwlChemist81

Props to Toonami for starting around 200k but not dropping below 100k. Everything after Titan was pretty neck in neck which allowed the 2:30am One Piece and the 3am Shippuden to beat Ass Class, Made in Abyss and the 2am One Piece with 18-49.

Robot Chicken on Sunday also missed the top 50.

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2022 at 11:47 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

Man, the fact that 200K is successful on Adult Swim these days is crazy. Just a decade ago, Family Guy was pulling FOUR MILLION viewers. The bar is so low now it's practically a speed bump!

Wow, just 200k? I remember when Toonami could hit a million in at least one show each week. Thems weres the days.

Americans' obsession with the news hasn't died down yet, as Shenmue checks in at #59 before a HUGE drop for AOT, which actually got beat by Ass Class and Made in Abyss:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-3-12-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Both One Pieces at 3 AM got under 100K. Ouch. Shippuden recovered at 4 AM.

Edited by OwlChemist81

On the plus side, college basketball took the top four spots, sports in general almost swept the top 10, and even a second-tier NASCAR race didn't do that badly. I, for one, welcome our new bracket overlords.

[i picked arizona to win it all]

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blatch said:

[i picked arizona to win it all]

And I picked Kansas. A little predictable, but sometimes that's what works.

Spoiler

I'm also doing an analogous bracket with 68 anime with more than one studio listed on MAL to determine which one gets watched for my participation in the site's Anime Watching Challenge this year. By the ordering process I set up, I have Rizelmine winning, even though if I had to pick a realistic winner I'd want Chivalry of a Failed Knight to win it all.

[r.i.p. 15th seed ODDTAXI]

The Return TIE wasn't the ONLY "Return" for Toonami last week, as the entire 12-2 AM hour makes its triumphant return to the Top 50:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-3-19-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-3-19-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Not only did Shenmue crack the Top 20, but it was in fact the highest-rated non-sports-or-news program! Plus it was also the highest-rated non-sports program in 18-34!

And since Made In Abyss checked in at #48, I guess viewers weren't too horrified at an anime character bleeding from the eyes? 0.10 in 18-49 and 0.15 in 18-34 with 158K total viewers suggest the viewers were overwhelmingly in those demographics--0.10 in 18-49 is about 128K and 0.15 18-34 about 105K.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

All right. Seems like people finally aren't glued to the news anymore, and it's led to modest gains for the block. Though I'd say it also helped that there weren't any March Madness games that went past midnight, while there was one on Sunday night. I saw the end of TCU vs. Arizona, and it was hype.

Let's do "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly," but in reverse:

The Ugly: after cracking the Top 20 last week, Shenmue fell to #62.

The Bad: it only managed a 0.09 in 18-49, which translates to just a little more than 100K in that demographic.

The Good: Cowboy Bebop managed to hang on to 84% of Shenmue's total viewership and 95% of Attack on Titan's, indicating really strong retention throughout the block!

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-3-26-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Edited by OwlChemist81

Shenmue did pretty well last week, but then the rest of the block dropped the ball pretty bigly as people who were intrigued by Shenmue's fetch quest mysteries didn't want to stick around for Conny's cringeworthy plot to save his mom by sacrificing Falco:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-4-2-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-4-2-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Oh well. At least the meat of the block stayed over 100K and 0.05 18-49, and since Shippuden actually rebounded nicely from the post-Abyss abyss of One Piece, Cowboy Bebop probably followed suit...

Edited by OwlChemist81