UnevenEdge

we don't really know what gender Kirby actually is

mochi

25 minutes ago, Gogo Yubari said:

I don't think that's how translation works

It can be.

Many languages, Japanese included, have more genders than male/female. It's pretty common for those genders to have no English equivalent, so translators often have to choose "he" or "she" to replace since it sounds more natural than calling a character an "it".

2 hours ago, bnmjy said:

As much as I hate to back up mochi, that song doesn't mention anything about his gender. The translator just decided to use "he."

yeah no gendered language is ever used in that song

the translation doesn't even seem to be very accurate (not that I speak enough Japanese to know that for sure but the small ammount I do know leads me to belive that the two lines that mention Gender were changed entirely rather than being translated)

Ok, then where's Benji....I'ma need his literal translation since he's the authority on yang shit.

The creator himself named him after a male American lawyer. Pretty sure he wasn't counting on mochi trying to toss an agenda on every cartoon and video game character 25 years later. Kirby doesn't need a gender identity crisis

Edited by Gogo Yubari

26 minutes ago, Gogo Yubari said:

Ok, then where's Benji....I'ma need his literal translation since he's the authority on yang shit.

The creator himself named him after a male American lawyer. Pretty sure he wasn't counting on mochi trying to toss an agenda on every cartoon and video game character 25 years later. Kirby doesn't need a gender identity crisis

he named Kirby after a brand of Vaccumes

and Kirby's original names was gonna be "Popopo"

1 hour ago, Gogo Yubari said:

2 hours ago, mochi said:

yeah no gendered language is ever used in that song

the translation doesn't even seem to be very accurate (not that I speak enough Japanese to know that for sure but the small ammount I do know leads me to belive that the two lines that mention Gender were changed entirely rather than being translated)

The translation was accurate enough. The better way to say it would be not that literal, and sentences literally translated from Japanese usually make little to no sense. Small lesson time: in Japanese, if the subject of a sentence can be inferred merely by context, it does not need to be explicitly stated. For example, in English: "John went to the store. He bought food, but he now has no money." In Japanese, you say: "John went to the store. Bought food, but now has no money." 

It's the same case with the Kirby lyrics that have "he" in the translation at the bottom of the video.

けど本当は強いよ literal translation: but really is strong! 

ホントかな literal translation: really?

• 2 weeks later...