UnevenEdge

IPB Upgrade Discussion

So we've got a good thing going here now, but it still needs work. For one, while I can do spoilers through a technicality, the text that shows up is almost invisible. I don't want to have it so that I need to change the text color before posting.

Also, we need an option to change the number of posts on a page. I know other people don't mind it, but this is really throwing me off.

1 minute ago, Rogue_Alphonse said:

Just because I had to delete 398% of my inbox does not make this my fault.

Also you can only delete about 25 at a time, then refresh, rinse, repeat.

I accumulated a lot of messages too over the year because of having different discussions with other posters. That's besides my inbox being spammed with 45 PM's earlier this month by someone with OCD.

Just want to say this forum on mobile is great. I love the cool quote feature where all I have to do is highlight a portion of someone's post and I get a "Quote This" button. Especially useful for responding to someone point by point. That alone is worth the upgrade. 

Also appreciate not seeing sigs and being able to see custom rank colors. Idk what this place looks like on a desktop but phone posting is A+

16 hours ago, CAC said:

I've ignored a few but haven't gotten that error.

I do wonder if there is a way to unhide a sig, I see no such option if I change my mind later.

'Cuz it works on everyone's sigs but Rogue's...maybe because he's a mod?

Edit: Yeah lol I tried going to ignored users list to see if I could add his sig and it gave me the "you cannot ignore it" message.

Edited by Mewn

7 hours ago, Mewn said:

'Cuz it works on everyone's sigs but Rogue's...maybe because he's a mod?

Edit: Yeah lol I tried going to ignored users list to see if I could add his sig and it gave me the "you cannot ignore it" message.

:D:D:D

YOU CANNOT LOOK AWAY FROM TEH ROGUE SIG!

Actually, I think he posted somewhere that he was having issues adjusting his own sig so it might be an actual glitch that will get worked out in time. 

1 hour ago, katt_goddess said:

:D:D:D

YOU CANNOT LOOK AWAY FROM TEH ROGUE SIG!

Actually, I think he posted somewhere that he was having issues adjusting his own sig so it might be an actual glitch that will get worked out in time. 

LAWL! Yeah apparently not!

Oh good, I mean I don't like hiding/blocking sigs but shit is HUGE.

So I hope that glitch gets worked out o_O

Ive removed your custom group so now you have the permissions everyone else should have.

I am out of town right now. I was going to sit and spend time fiddling with ranks and permissions this weekend but here I find myself in a car in a different state instead of at my desk. Once it's all straightened out I will give you your custom color back.

On 11/27/2017 at 8:05 AM, Nabloom said:

Also appreciate ... being able to see custom rank colors.

Rank colors?  What are these rank colors you speak of?  Everyone's name is white to me.  In gigantic font.  And when I'm saying a font is gigantic, you know it's yooooj.  Like 20pt, which is bigger than a breadbox. 16pt should be the max.

Why is quoted text so dark in the reply pane?  I can barely see to edit it to the relevant text.

It would also be nice if the text within spoiler tags was just hidden, rather than separating it out into a whole line with a big white box around it.  I mean sometimes you just want to hide one word or a phrase, and tagging it wrecks the whole layout.

Do I need to get rid of the gif in my sig?  I would prefer more control of the leading between lines, but that's out of my hands.  I like the gif, but if it's too much, I'll ax it.  I'm keeping the quotes though.

1 hour ago, Gina Szanboti said:

Do I need to get rid of the gif in my sig?  I would prefer more control of the leading between lines, but that's out of my hands.  I like the gif, but if it's too much, I'll ax it.  I'm keeping the quotes though.

Your sig is much better than some other peoples so don't worry about that.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

Why is quoted text so dark in the reply pane?  I can barely see to edit it to the relevant text.

God, this.

I'm sure there were good reasons for this latest software switch, but there's a lot of little issues that really make it feel like we gave up more than we got.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

Rank colors?  What are these rank colors you speak of?  Everyone's name is white to me. 

vGjU5J7.png

This is how every thing looks to me on mobile, no sigs no giant font, the majority of people's names are white but there are many who requested special ranks/rank colors on the previous board, those people's sn's retained their colors when we moved to IPB. There's several others with colored names on this page, at least 5 or 6. But I've been told these colors don't show up if you're not on a mobile browser, idk I've only ever seen this place on my phone. Posting from a real computer sounds terrible.

18 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

I agree with the dark quote text being trash but I do want to highlight again how cool the "quote this" feature is, if you're going to be editing someone's quoted text then don't use the quote button at all, instead highlight the relevant text in the post you'd like to quote and then hit the Quote This button that comes up, viola instant quote without the extraneous stuff. Thats how I quoted the portions of your post. Obvs I don't know if this feature is exclusive to mobile - if that is the case I really hate it for y'all.

Edited by Nabloom

7 hours ago, Nabloom said:

Thats how I quoted the portions of your post. Obvs I don't know if this feature is exclusive to mobile - if that is the case I really hate it for y'all.

No, it works on desktop too.  Theres a little button that appears below the text when ever you highlight it.  (I'm on Safari.)

12 hours ago, Nabloom said:

if you're going to be editing someone's quoted text then don't use the quote button at all, instead highlight the relevant text in the post you'd like to quote and then hit the Quote This button that comes up, viola instant quote without the extraneous stuff.

Yes, that helps, and I used that when I quoted in my previous message and this one.  However, note the "..." in the quote:

22 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

Also appreciate ... being able to see custom rank colors.

This one wasn't too hard since I only cut a few words.  But if I want to say, cut out several sentences in the middle of a paragraph, there's no way to just select the text I want in one quote if I want to excise text that detracts from the essence of what I'm replying about.  I can highlight it in the quote box to see approximately where the text is that I want to cut out, but I have to super magnify the screen to actually edit the text since the highlighting goes away as soon as you position the cursor, and editing becomes a game of hide and seek.  Drag the cursor...now let's see what's behind the curtain as I slowly draw it back!

Btw, this is how your post looks on Firefox on my Mac (quote and preview to see how it looks on a desktop? I guess?):

Nabloom.thumb.jpg.760278bdb4befeb9ff5af6118cadb716.jpg

And this is how longer names end up:

Emp.jpg.c209ed099833502294e882608462deb4.jpg  :/

For clarity, I'm just making a new post instead of making the previous one even longer.

If you insert a video link and say "yep, go ahead and embed it," I can't see any way to edit the link (say, for start time) after that.  However, if you say, "wait, let me edit that link first," there doesn't seem to be any way to make it embed the video thereafter.  I tried deleting it and re-pasting it, nope, still a hyperlink.  I tried canceling the post and starting over, but as long as it was the same link as I'd used previously (i.e., the corrected version that I now wanted embedded), still hyperlink.  I shouldn't have to clear the cache or cookies to tell it to embed a link I previously asked it not to. Or, if I could edit the link after embedding, I wouldn't have to tell it not to.  Let me change my mind, dammit!! >:(

On 11/17/2017 at 8:07 PM, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

@Stonergoth187 That fixed the animation issue, but now the picture of the character is too small for my liking. Is there anyway you can take this new image and scale the background back down closer to where it was originally? Alternatively, could you keep the dimensions of the whole thing the same but make the picture of the character bigger?

Note that the cropping tool in the board's software doesn't seem to help zoom in on the character.

NNNEW_.gif

@Stonergoth187 That fixed the animation issue, but now the picture of the character is too small for my liking. Is there anyway you can take this new image and scale the background back down closer to where it was originally? Alternatively, could you keep the dimensions of the whole thing the same but make the picture of the character bigger?

Note that the cropping tool in the board's software doesn't seem to help zoom in on the character.

Edited by Stonergoth187
i goofed

NNNEW_2.gif