UnevenEdge

Sour Cream with your chili???

BlackNoir

12 minutes ago, DragonSinger said:

My breakfast of kielbasa, cabbage, and shredded hashbrowns says y'all are wrong all day every day.

It sounds alright with hash browns and it’s fine if it’s a part of a dip mix or a sour cream donut. But I can’t scoop up sour cream or plain yogurt on a plate and eat it with something. 

I also got a subscription to Hello Fresh recently and every other dish they want you to make has a sauce that uses sour cream as filler. Over time, it just gives me a negative outlook on sour cream even though it isn’t sour cream’s fault that they want me to mix it with sriracha and call it a day. 

50 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

It's bad enough I like beans in my chili.  I feel kind of dirty just saying it.

Wait, wait, wait right the fuck up....What's in your chili if there is no beans....We're not talking hotdog chili here....I mean chili....the meal.

Are you just eating ground beef in tomato soup

8 minutes ago, BlackNoir said:

Wait, wait, wait right the fuck up....What's in your chili if there is no beans....We're not talking hotdog chili here....I mean chili....the meal.

Vegetables like onions and bell/poblano peppers for me, mainly. I do enjoy a good bean but with or without is mainly a regional thing, isn't it?

7 minutes ago, BlackNoir said:

Yeah.  Chili is suppose to be all meat and peppers - the meal, not the crap that is on a Wienershnitzel dog.  That's probably because the original stuff from Mexican vaqueros was usually served with other things, like tortillas.  When you get back to LA one of these days, I'll take you to EL Cholo:  they serve a chili that is just that.  But, personally, I just can't.  I have to have red beans with my chili.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SwimModSponges said:

No strong opinion on sour cream, but here's one for you- Noodles or no?

I saw an idiot pot of chili once with noodles in it....I had no idea it was supposed to be chili...I thought it was home made beefaroni or some shit.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

Do you put elbow macaroni in your chili?

That sounds like what happens when you have leftover hamburger and leftover Kraft's mac and cheese in the refrigerator.  Your head thinks "Meat and cheese?  That's just like a cheese burger!"  But, you completely forget the macaroni is there, and then you take a bite and hate yourself.

1 hour ago, SwimModSponges said:

I should point out that I do not like noodles in chili.

Most people 'round these parts do though.

Sometimes it's called goulash but they're interchangeable.

can vouch for this. it's a northern thing. but iirc, the noodles are added after the fact, like as a leftover addition. something something, subsistence diet.

1 hour ago, BlackNoir said:

my chili has beans. but at the request of family coming over, i made a pot without beans for the first time ever over the weekend. took a bit of re-working to get the flavor profile back into my happy zone, but it turned out pretty good. might try it again next time too.

2 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

Hey man that's not mine, I googled goulash and posted a pic of it to prove to these people that it's real.

Real nasty.

my mom called it goulash, but it was chili with noodles. that pic is ... something else. maybe that's actual goulash? i was almost willing to overlook the celery as a chili ingredient, but there's some weird shit going on in that pot.

i'll still add noodles if there's any chili left a few days later. but then it also gets a pile of cheddar cheese, and that's called chili mac. and it's damn good.

2 hours ago, SwimModSponges said:

I should point out that I do not like noodles in chili.

Most people 'round these parts do though.

Sometimes it's called goulash but they're interchangeable.

I'll put chili on spaghetti sometimes with shredded cheddar, onions, and a dollop of sour cream. That's definitely a thing my family got from Indiana where most of them grew up. *Googles* Oh right, it's called Cincinnati chili.

Edited by DragonSinger

45 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

that's a ... nice pot of chili, packard. is that ketchup?

44 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

Hey man that's not mine, I googled goulash and posted a pic of it to prove to these people that it's real.

Real nasty.

That is goulash and it is gross. It doesn't have to have chili spices in it. It can, but doesn't have to.

It's basically leftovers put in with noodles and just called a different dish. 

That's not ketchup though. Whole peeled tomatoes. 

I've had it, and I would not recommend it. 

• Like 1