UnevenEdge

Paranoia Agent (yes really!) replacing Food Wars

Top Gun

3 hours ago, scope said:

Id rather watch Satoshi Kon's entire catalogue multiple times than watch any Food Wars. Food Wars sucks a big ol' bag o dicks.

I'm still shocked at how popular it is. I can see why SAO is popular, this I don't understand at all.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Daos said:

I'm still shocked at how popular it is. I can see why SAO is popular, this I don't understand at all.

The first 2 seasons I really liked, but the third had a plot that the mangaka really mishandled, and the drop in quality of the anime made it worse. And the 'best waifu' bullshit similar to the Fate series is annoying as fuck.

I think I actually said this would be the show they'd get last week when I was calling them hipsters in the one isekai thread. I was joking, but damn if that doesn't prove my point. The reason I thought of it though was that funimation kept having ads pop up for PA, and if felt random that they'd suddenly put an ad up for that show. The staff pretty much wants their odd favorite shows over investing in something that will do well. 

29 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

I think I actually said this would be the show they'd get last week when I was calling them hipsters in the one isekai thread. I was joking, but damn if that doesn't prove my point. The reason I thought of it though was that funimation kept having ads pop up for PA, and if felt random that they'd suddenly put an ad up for that show. The staff pretty much wants their odd favorite shows over investing in something that will do well. 

what sucks is PA clashes so much with the rest of the block....not in a good way

it's such a depressing show and dreary that it's hard to transition from that into black clover

7 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

what sucks is PA clashes so much with the rest of the block....not in a good way

it's such a depressing show and dreary that it's hard to transition from that into black clover

I mean I don't think food wars really fits either. Though yeah PA is just depressing and dark. Also if you already know the plot the story isn't all that worth the rewatch. The story revolves around the mystery. When you know everything it just feels like it's overly padded. 

Just now, HardcoreHunter said:

I mean I don't think food wars really fits either. Though yeah PA is just depressing and dark. Also if you already know the plot the story isn't all that worth the rewatch. The story revolves around the mystery. When you know everything it just feels like it's overly padded. 

i mean at least food wars had it's own wacky charm that made it easy to slide in....PA however is just bleak and dark

something we don't really need currently....when the world is suffering from a pandemic do we really need to watch Paranoia agent?

4 hours ago, OSC said:

No episode discussion involvement for this one. You know my rule on shows that already aired on Adult Swim/Toonami. Even with this being one of my all time favorite animes, there are no exceptions.

Why do you have a self-imposed rule for not discussing shows that already aired?

On 4/16/2020 at 2:17 AM, CountFrylock said:

i don't want The Lead spot on toonami to be cowboy bebop in a few weeks...

I know DeMarco probably sleeps with the master tapes of Cowboy Bebop on his night stand but why the hell do you think he would do that?

On 4/16/2020 at 8:46 AM, Jman said:

I would argue that DeMarco’s stated goal for the block, as a bespoke, premium content answer to Netflix, FUNi and Hulu’s next day delivery of anime is exemplified by PA.

I also believe it’s going to tank just as hard as last time, except the anger against it won’t really be there this time.  Ooh, Toonami’s airing Paranoia Agent on a Saturday night.  Forgiving time has lost all meaning until this crisis ends, the options available to viewers have broadened immensely.   “Oh man, Paranoia Agent?  Let me fire up Netflix and watch...hey, Bleach movies!  Ooh, a new Ghost in the Shell!”

I never knew the show tanked back then.  Then again I never paid attention to ratings either.  I still don't know why people care so much about ratings.  As long as the ratings for the thing I like are good enough for it not to be canceled, that's all that concerns me.  I don't recall anyone being angry over this show when it aired either and remember it being well-received.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2020 at 8:53 AM, OwlChemist81 said:

I think Paranoia Agent is the PERFECT show for Toonami to be playing during the pandemic!

It's interesting that DeMarco is saying Food Wars is being REPLACED completely. We're losing Demon Slayer just 2 weeks after PA hits the block. If they were bringing in 3rd Plate, that's when I would put it. I wonder what will be replacing Demon Slayer instead if that's NOT the case.

But it's quite interesting that we have a show that really doesn't fit the feel of Toonami replacing ANOTHER show that never really seemed to fit the feel of Toonami. And that show replaced another show that really didn't fit the feel of Toonami (Promised Neverland), and then of course THAT show ALSO replaced a show that didn't really fit the feel of Toonami (Megalobox), and then...well, you get the idea.

So perhaps this is just a stop-gap before 3rd Plate comes on? While Food Wars is different, I did enjoy First Plate and Second Plate, and would like to be able to see 3rd plate on Toonami. The question is: "When?" I guess the rights issue might be resolved in a month or two, and right now shows that are already dubbed are invaluable since due to the pandemic and the precarious situation of home studios, work on new dubs has slowed to a crawl or at least a slow waddle from its previous breakneck pace. So we COULD see Third Plate return to replace MHA (NOT at Midnight), Black Clover (if it goes into hiatus, which it seems it will) or JoJo.

If Toonami is looking for "low-hanging fruit" for 12:30 to replace Demon Slayer, might I suggest Tokyo Ghoul: RE? Or maybe Blood Blockade Battlefront? How about Star Blazers 2199/2202? That should hold down a timeslot for a while! It seems 2020, with its unique challenges, might be the perfect year to explore some of these overlooked gems, especially during the 2017-19 time frame when the block was loaded, now that it's all they can do to fill 3 hours!

You never explained why this is the perfect show to air during a pandemic.

Fucking hell don't replace Demon Slayer with Food Wars.  We need something good!  I don't think DeMarco could get the deal done that fast anyway.

Food Wars doesn't fit because it's not action and about food and slice of life.  But DeMarco had stated some time ago they would be expanding to non-action shows for Toonami and started with Pop Team Epic.  Obviously Food Wars would be another case.  I'm not sure why you say Promised Neverland and Megalobox don't fit.  Promised Neverland I guess is more psychological thriller than action, but even as hardcore as it gets, the manga is in Shonen Jump of all places!  I suppose the kids can't really fight the adults or demons, but it does have similarities to AoT and I think it fits in just fine.  Even if it isn't considered an action show Toonami isn't bound by that anymore anyway.  Megalobox I guess has kind of an ASA feel but it is fine for the block.  Good to have a more offbeat, different, more mature show now and then.

If it's a stopgap for that and they really want Food Wars back so badly then this show would have been put on regardless.  But then that begs the question of why didn't DeMarco have the deal ready ahead of time?  They knew this entire time these episodes eventually would run out and they would have to negotiate a new deal.  JoJo should have all its episodes dubbed right?  Man I hope Black Clover doesn't go on hiatus.  That would suck!

Tokyo Ghoul?!  BAD OWL!  And a hidden gem, really?  But yes, there were quite a few good shows that got passed over in recent years they could air, if they can afford them.

4 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

4 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

How the fuck does someone have taste this shitty.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ben0119 said:

If it's a stopgap for that and they really want Food Wars back so badly then this show would have been put on regardless.  But then that begs the question of why didn't DeMarco have the deal ready ahead of time?  They knew this entire time these episodes eventually would run out and they would have to negotiate a new deal.  JoJo should have all its episodes dubbed right?  Man I hope Black Clover doesn't go on hiatus.  That would suck!

Gotta imagine they've been talking to Sentai as the middle man for the rights for a while, but I guess it's just taken too long.

Not sure about Jojo since I think the dub pretty much premieres on the block and not on other places like Viz's site but I agree I hope so!

On my FunimationNow Black Clover has the dub available up to ep 123, so there's at least 10 more that have been completed that can air. I think they just posted that ep recently and I think it was on their simuldub delay list starting at ep 124. So it looks like there's about 10 weeks of Black Clover still available before we catch up like MHA.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

How the fuck does someone have taste this shitty.

The only story that I felt was actually done well was the story of the Gay men and the little girl all trying to kill themselves, but they try and ditch her the whole time leading into a reveal that they were dead all along...except they weren't because all of the stories were made-up in the one girls head as she was a having a near death experience. So the one story I liked never even happened...It's like trying to enjoy St.Elsewhere but having to keep in the back of your mind that none of this matters because none of it really happened and was all some kids daydream. This though doesn't mean that PA or St.Elsewhere are bad, but if you already know what will happen, then you really have to be in a good mindset to actually enjoy it.  The message of PA though is a very bleak one. Really I'd have been expecting something more uplifting and light given current events. No lets have a series that focuses on dark themes and isolation instead that's what will hook the viewers. 

4 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

The only story that I felt was actually done well was the story of the Gay men and the little girl all trying to kill themselves, but they try and ditch her the whole time leading into a reveal that they were dead all along...except they weren't because all of the stories were made-up in the one girls head as she was a having a near death experience. So the one story I liked never even happened...It's like trying to enjoy St.Elsewhere but having to keep in the back of your mind that none of this matters because none of it really happened and was all some kids daydream. This though doesn't mean that PA or St.Elsewhere are bad, but if you already know what will happen, then you really have to be in a good mindset to actually enjoy it.  The message of PA though is a very bleak one. Really I'd have been expecting something more uplifting and light given current events. No lets have a series that focuses on dark themes and isolation instead that's what will hook the viewers. 

This is actually a fairly valid point, except the message at the end of the series is one that is fairly optimistic, if brutal in tone.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

That's like saying Twin Peaks is never worth a rewatch.

Spoiler

Because it is. Greatest show of all time.

6 hours ago, Jman said:

This is actually a fairly valid point, except the message at the end of the series is one that is fairly optimistic, if brutal in tone.

Who knows maybe my view of it will have changed as I'm 31 now, and when I first watched it I was 15 or 16. My preference may have changed given it's been half of my damn life by this point. Still Demarco acting like this was going to be a big welcomed surprise was dumb. I already had my expectations pretty low though to begin with. Absolute worst case I foresaw was him saying we'd be getting more DBZ Kai. Between all the reruns of that and any time you play a video game with it covering all the same beats. I could probably go 15 years and not need to watch DBZ again. 

10 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

...what the hell are you talking about with the "near-death experience" thing?  That episode actually happened, as did the rest of the series.  Lil' Slugger was an actual entity, albeit one born from Tsukiko Sagi's lies and desperation.  All of the people in the series were actually attacked.  A prevailing theme throughout all of Satoshi Kon's works is the very blurry line between fantasy and reality, and how the former can spill into the latter and become real.  It's like you missed the entire point of the series.

And how was Paranoia Agent's message "bleak"?  As Jman put it, it's most definitely positive, albeit somewhat harsh.  The overriding theme of the series is that you can't run away from your troubles, or count on some sort of outside intervention to magically solve them.  You may get a temporary reprieve, but at the end of the day they'll still be there.  The only way forward is to face them head-on, to confront them and deal with them once and for all.  The characters who are able to do so are the ones able to stand up to Lil' Slugger, and eventually defeat them.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

...what the hell are you talking about with the "near-death experience" thing?  That episode actually happened, as did the rest of the series.  Lil' Slugger was an actual entity, albeit one born from Tsukiko Sagi's lies and desperation.  All of the people in the series were actually attacked.  A prevailing theme throughout all of Satoshi Kon's works is the very blurry line between fantasy and reality, and how the former can spill into the latter and become real.  It's like you missed the entire point of the series.

And how was Paranoia Agent's message "bleak"?  As Jman put it, it's most definitely positive, albeit somewhat harsh.  The overriding theme of the series is that you can't run away from your troubles, or count on some sort of outside intervention to magically solve them.  You may get a temporary reprieve, but at the end of the day they'll still be there.  The only way forward is to face them head-on, to confront them and deal with them once and for all.  The characters who are able to do so are the ones able to stand up to Lil' Slugger, and eventually defeat them.

From what I remember of it. The girl survived something, I think a building fell and she was trapped in it or something, and the stories were all in her head. She made up everything based on people she'd seen or knew. She even has that moment where she walks past people on the street that were already killed earlier in the series. Lil Slugger was all in her head and just a representation of her inner frustrations in coping with situation.  Possible that I remembered everything wrong since it's been so long. Though at the same time if I am wrong I'd like to give 15 year old me credit on being able to think of something far more abstract than was actually in the series. 

Yeah, that's...not correct in the slightest.  Spoilered for people who care I guess:

Spoiler

As a child, Tsukiko had a puppy that she named Maromi.  One day, she dropped Maromi's leash while taking it for a walk (it's heavily implied that she may have been experiencing period cramps), and Maromi ran out into the street and was killed by a car.  Tsukiko didn't want to admit that she was being irresponsible, so she made up a story about getting attacked by a boy with a baseball bat.  (We see these flashbacks in the final episode of the series.)  Fast-forward to the present, and Tsukiko creates the popular mascot character Maromi, named after her childhood pet.  She's under a shitload of pressure from her company to make a follow-up character, but she has complete writer's block and can't think of anything.  At the height of her desperation, she's "attacked" by a boy on roller blades wielding a bat, Lil' Slugger.  It's heavily implied by evidence presented by Detective Ikari later in the series that Tsukiko hit herself with a metal pipe and made the story up, using the same description of a fake assailant that she used as a child.  But in doing so, her desperation and lying somehow manifests itself into an actual entity, Lil' Slugger, and the story progresses.  There's an actual fake copycat Lil' Slugger responsible for a few of the attacks, but he's later killed by the "real" Lil' Slugger while in police custody.  As the series nears its end, the paranoia over Lil' Slugger grows out of control, and the line between fantasy and reality grows increasingly warped.  One of the big revelations right at the end is that "Maromi and Lil' Slugger are the same thing!", i.e. the fake sense of escapism that Maromi promotes is the same sentiment that gives rise to the phenomenon of Lil' Slugger.

There's certainly a lot about the series that's open to interpretation regarding just how "real" the events portrayed are, but at no point is it ever implied that all of it is just someone's dream.  I feel like you're confusing things with the episode "Happy Family Planning," which does feature its three characters in a building that's being demolished.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

yeah no matter what anyone says...PA doesn't really seem like something that would be wise to air currently because well it is a bleak series  it's marketing always pushed it as that

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Yeah, that's...not correct in the slightest.  Spoilered for people who care I guess:

Reveal hidden contents

As a child, Tsukiko had a puppy that she named Maromi.  One day, she dropped Maromi's leash while taking it for a walk (it's heavily implied that she may have been experiencing period cramps), and Maromi ran out into the street and was killed by a car.  Tsukiko didn't want to admit that she was being irresponsible, so she made up a story about getting attacked by a boy with a baseball bat.  (We see these flashbacks in the final episode of the series.)  Fast-forward to the present, and Tsukiko creates the popular mascot character Maromi, named after her childhood pet.  She's under a shitload of pressure from her company to make a follow-up character, but she has complete writer's block and can't think of anything.  At the height of her desperation, she's "attacked" by a boy on roller blades wielding a bat, Lil' Slugger.  It's heavily implied by evidence presented by Detective Ikari later in the series that Tsukiko hit herself with a metal pipe and made the story up, using the same description of a fake assailant that she used as a child.  But in doing so, her desperation and lying somehow manifests itself into an actual entity, Lil' Slugger, and the story progresses.  There's an actual fake copycat Lil' Slugger responsible for a few of the attacks, but he's later killed by the "real" Lil' Slugger while in police custody.  As the series nears its end, the paranoia over Lil' Slugger grows out of control, and the line between fantasy and reality grows increasingly warped.  One of the big revelations right at the end is that "Maromi and Lil' Slugger are the same thing!", i.e. the fake sense of escapism that Maromi promotes is the same sentiment that gives rise to the phenomenon of Lil' Slugger.

There's certainly a lot about the series that's open to interpretation regarding just how "real" the events portrayed are, but at no point is it ever implied that all of it is just someone's dream.  I feel like you're confusing things with the episode "Happy Family Planning," which does feature its three characters in a building that's being demolished.

The part I'm remembering I think was in the final episode. She's in a building and it begins falling apart. Then we see abstract people and the building being blown apart. Then she's just floating in Black but can hear people talking like a rescue team. After that we just cut to everyone being glued to their phones and she's walking down the street. We also see people walking around the city that were killed, and everyone is acting like nothing had ever happened. Then she walks past the frog looking guy and takes a double take at him as they pass. That's what makes me believe that it was all in her head. The building falling down in Family Planning was symbolic of her being trapped in building rubble. The people in her stories were all just people she'd subconsciously seen in public and used them as the characters in her minds play to escape her reality.  As well she is a writer with writers block and was hit in the head. A lot of these lend to everything being fiction when you take into account the final scenes of the series.   We even have a scene of her seeing the one cop walking with his daughter. As for if she was even his daughter could be up for interpretation as they were just two people she saw together on the street. Everything else about them may have been made up in her mind.  Similar to how someone may people watch and create a backstory for the people they're seeing.  We also see the people from Family planning walking by. Things like that are what make me think that this is what she did. Could be wrong but I went with the far more metaphysical route on this series.  

...she's not a writer, she's a character designer.  She designed Maromi, who's essentially a stand-in for Hello Kitty and other similar mascot characters. 

Spoiler

The building being "blown apart" was Ikari's idealized nostalgic fantasy world that he and Tsukiko found themselves in, and it broke apart when Ikari saw through the delusion and smashed it down.  That's when we get the flashback scene when Tsukiko finally acknowledges that she made up Lil' Slugger as a child and owns up to her mistakes, and the monster that Lil' Slugger/Maromi have become disappears.  The scenes at the end are two years into the future, and Tsukiko looks at the frog character because it's replaced Maromi as the new popular thing on the block.  The ending of the series seems to suggest that the sort of collective escapism that Maromi represented isn't something that will ever go away forever, but will keep popping up in different forms in the future.

So yeah, I highly suggest that you rewatch this series, because there's a lot of it you're not remembering accurately.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

This is why I kinda wanted it paired with Shippuden. You could say it's in kind of a dark place right now too.

But I think it will be fine. It's just one show on a very limited block that will try to keep as much variety as possible. Perhaps Demon Slayer's replacement will be lighter?

since there's been zero word on DS's replacement at this point i expect a rerun(modern or classic)

It may not fit the block well, but I'd say it's the perfect show for our times right now. I'm really looking forward to its return, and plan on participating (or at least following, since I won't be able to say much having seen it already) in the discussion threads for it. I'm very interested to see what people who are watching it for the first time have to say about it.

MellowMaromi.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

since there's been zero word on DS's replacement at this point i expect a rerun(modern or classic)

Where were you last summer when shows were announced literally a week in advance? Food Wars came July 6th and was announced sometime the week of June 29th. Fire Force got announced 8 days before it aired, which led to an awkward early-block rerun of an AOT episode. I'd say we shouldn't be pushing the panic button on the re-introduction of reruns to Toonami for the first time in 2 months unless we get into May and we still don't know! If Toonami's in doubt, they could always bring back Boruto or Tokyo Ghoul! Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 is also low-hanging fruit but it doesn't last as long and the well of new shows from Japan is gonna be dry for a while!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 2:15 PM, Sketch said:

They should totally replace Demon Slayer with the recent Boogiepop anime. That would pair well with Paranoia Agent.

Yup, especially if they want to continue pairing PA with something as dark as Demon Slayer and what a dream team it would be. Although I think that Boogiepop would probably be too much for 12:30am but if it's the second newest show on the block after MHA then it would make sense

16 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Where were you last summer when shows were announced literally a week in advance? Food Wars came July 6th and was announced sometime the week of June 29th. Fire Force got announced 8 days before it aired, which led to an awkward early-block rerun of an AOT episode. I'd say we shouldn't be pushing the panic button on the re-introduction of reruns to Toonami for the first time in 2 months unless we get into May and we still don't know! If Toonami's in doubt, they could always bring back Boruto or Tokyo Ghoul! Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 is also low-hanging fruit but it doesn't last as long and the well of new shows from Japan is gonna be dry for a while!

that well's gonna continue to be dry until this pandemic passes unfortunately

that's the difference between then and now....back then the world wasn't shutdown due to a virus

so we didn't have to worry about shows being yanked because they ran out of dubbed episodes and needed some filler on the block

that's my main concern...that toonami will need a lot of filler shows until this pandemic runs it's course and that stuff like black clover due to the slowed down process of at home dubbing will have it's time slot constantly rotated more often than it should be

and for the short term...that will work but the longer this pandemic lasts the more drastic changes toonami will have to make to the block

with stuff such as S2 of fire force and dr.stone as well as SAO war of underworld Part II delayed indefinitely

i think Paranoia agent's introduction to the block was just the beginning

Edited by CountFrylock

On 4/21/2020 at 2:44 AM, CountFrylock said:

that well's gonna continue to be dry until this pandemic passes unfortunately

that's the difference between then and now....back then the world wasn't shutdown due to a virus

so we didn't have to worry about shows being yanked because they ran out of dubbed episodes and needed some filler on the block

that's my main concern...that toonami will need a lot of filler shows until this pandemic runs it's course and that stuff like black clover due to the slowed down process of at home dubbing will have it's time slot constantly rotated more often than it should be

and for the short term...that will work but the longer this pandemic lasts the more drastic changes toonami will have to make to the block

with stuff such as S2 of fire force and dr.stone as well as SAO war of underworld Part II delayed indefinitely

i think Paranoia agent's introduction to the block was just the beginning

SAO was delayed until July, not "indefinitely."

When I tried to look up Fire Force, a bunch of garbage websites came up that I've never heard of.  ANN doesn't say anything about it.  Not sure why.  The same crap websites came up for Dr. Stone.  Both shows were supposed to come out in July, from what I can tell.  I guess no delays have been announced yet because they haven't gotten close enough to air.  So yeah, please don't add to the misinformation.

But I did find a couple pages that might be helpful that we should probably bookmark.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-04-21/list-of-anime-and-manga-affected-by-covid-19/.158799

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2020/04/20-1/heres-a-list-of-all-the-anime-impacted-by-covid-19

15 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

July is a placeholder date it's not set in stone....especially not with corona virus still going strong

I'd be surprised if black clover resumed production by then and even more surprised if any delayed shows actually came out this year

I remembering wishing Black Clover would end.

I didn't mean like THIS.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

do you really think the corona virus is gonna settle down by july?

We can only go on hope, because no one in the world knows what the FACTS of the virus are since it's a brand new virus and is sparing absolutely nobody. We do hope that like the flu, it will weaken by the higher temperatures in the summer sunlight. Also, we hope that most countries will lower the curve enough by July. Lastly, we hope a real treatment will be made.

Is there anything that came out in Japan in Fall 2019 or Winter 2020 that didn't get a simuldub that would fit Toonami? That show would probably be Toonami's best bet for a post-MHA leading show that is a dub premiere. Well, either that or Uzumaki, but that would only buy them 4 weeks until a new leading show can be secured. If that show is longer than one cour, that would be best because it might buy them enough time to ride out the worst of this pandemic until science can uncover an effective treatment or vaccine, or Japan's model can shift to a method of production of new seasons that is compatible with the precautions that must be taken.

And I guess, barring Japan figuring this out sooner, we'll just have to settle for Toonami being a hodgepodge of classic shows, reruns, and network premieres (for example, I expect Food Wars to return at some point with Third Plate) after the lead show. But that lead show needs to either be a dub premiere or pretty darn close to it!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Why the fuck are you italicizing half of what you're writing? If it's an attempt at grabbing attention, I'm sorry to say that you're failing.

What are you talking about? Looks normal to me.

• Haha 2