UnevenEdge

Paranoia Agent (yes really!) replacing Food Wars

Top Gun

14 minutes ago, 3ngag3 said:

So apparently, getting a new season of a show means a different set of rights which means that unless it's a long runner (Black Clover), that show will likely take longer to air on the block.

i heard the other seasons of Food Wars have rights owned by a completely separate company

On one hand, disappointment that we're not getting Food Wars S3 (at least, not right away).

On the other... let's just say my joy at seeing the show [as] was saddled with in order to air Champloo (no thanks to G4 picking up Gungrave while they were busy with a boards poll) being reaired out of their own volition this time has filled me with enough misguided excitement for eight people.

CjU719I.gif

• Like 2

Oh my God, DeMarco you complete hardheaded idiot.

On one hand, I admire the sheer chutzpah of the man to air a show that bombed on Adult Swim Action to the point it signaled the beginning of that block’s downturn.  “You will enjoy your anime equivalent of vegetables and you will like it!”  You could not get anything else?

On the other hand, Satoshi Kon is no longer with us, is he?  It’s an unusual circumstance, but he’s a figure worth remembering.

Edited by Jman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Comparing Paranoia Agent to vegetables isn't too inaccurate. It's good, but it won't have as many takers in their audience as the Double Baconator that's DBZ reruns, or even the casual junk food that's our current offerings.

And then there's stuff like Tenchi Muyo! GXP, which is just a tub of trans fat. Like, the actual trans fat itself.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jman said:

Oh my God, DeMarco you complete hardheaded idiot.

On one hand, I admire the sheer chutzpah of the man to air a show that bombed on Adult Swim Action to the point it signaled the beginning of that block’s downturn.  “You will enjoy your anime equivalent of vegetables and you will like it!”  You could not get anything else?

On the other hand, Satoshi Kon is no longer with us, is he?  It’s an unusual circumstance, but he’s a figure worth remembering.

I'm still waiting for those surprises Demarco said he had in store for us

I'm ambivalent. For one thing, I never got into Paranoia Agent. I think I saw like 3 of the episodes and I formed no connection whatsoever. That said, this is a very weird choice as a replacement. I know times are tough and they're not getting as many new shows as easily these days, but it won't quite fit with the tone of the block. However, its director became even more famous after he passed away, and I feel like awaiting to see the entire thing for the first time as tribute to that.

42 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

Demarco keeps saying stuff like "don't worry we have some new exciting stuff to share" but then that stuff never gets announced

He's just a corporate shill. Don't ever expect anything resembling honesty out of him. He's literally the kind of person who would tell you Toonami is doing fantastic the day before it was canceled.

But remember, he's an influential tastemaker!

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, elfie said:

I'm ambivalent. For one thing, I never got into Paranoia Agent. I think I saw like 3 of the episodes and I formed no connection whatsoever. That said, this is a very weird choice as a replacement. I know times are tough and they're not getting as many new shows as easily these days, but it won't quite fit with the tone of the block. However, its director became even more famous after he passed away, and I feel like awaiting to see the entire thing for the first time as tribute to that.

someone on gamefaqs jumped on my ass when i said it doesn't fit modern toonami

they were all like "we've had stuff like promised neverland food wars and pop team epic i think this will fit in just fine"

but i dunno...hopping from paranoia agent to black clover will be a bizarre transition

• Like 1

They must have really wanted to replay this gem, considering they are throwing it on very quickly after it escaped licensing limbo. FUNimation probably see's this as an opportunity to promote the upcoming Blu-ray release.

It's pretty wild they are throwing this on in the middle of Weekly Shounen Jump. If anything I would have expected it to slide in after Shippuden and have the rest move up. So I do give them props for not burying it because that would have felt pointless like when they brought back Outlaw Star and it went largely unnoticed.

I would have liked to see something else get a chance to air for the first time but it's such a great show and new anime viewers ought to see it, so I'm for it.

• Like 3

I forgot how much this folder sucks.  I don't give a fuck if it fits, I don't give a fuck how many people watch it, it is one of the greatest motherfucking pieces of animated television ever created and I am goddamn thrilled to have the privilege of seeing it on my screen again.

5008_9c00_420.gif?1318992465

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Guest Sympl&Klyn
2 hours ago, elfie said:

It could be worse.

They could always fill up a slot w/ Code Lyoko or Reboot. 

37 minutes ago, Sketch said:

They must have really wanted to replay this gem, considering they are throwing it on very quickly after it escaped licensing limbo. FUNimation probably see's this as an opportunity to promote the upcoming Blu-ray release.

It's pretty wild they are throwing this on in the middle of Weekly Shounen Jump. If anything I would have expected it to slide in after Shippuden and have the rest move up. So I do give them props for not burying it because that would have felt pointless like when they brought back Outlaw Star and it went largely unnoticed.

I would have liked to see something else get a chance to air for the first time but it's such a great show and new anime viewers ought to see it, so I'm for it.

Woah, so it finally got license rescued?! Surprised I missed that, unlike Tomo-chan...

PoorTsukiko.gif She's always on the mark.

7 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Fucking yes.

I am happy Food Wars is finally leaving the block, and I love this show, but is a show about paranoia, with this tone, really the best thing to be playing right now?  People are already going crazy enough as it is!  Well, I guess we'll just have to see how this show adds to it!

And wow, it's not at the end!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elfie said:

What?!  Bruh, I deem you casual FILTH!  Paranoia Agent is awesome and easily one of the classic must-see/required watching shows along the likes of Coyboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, and FLCL.

Also, it's not very long.  So maybe Demarco is confident they won't need more than a 6 week buffer.  If he planned to air this all along, then LOL. 

Nevermind, it's 13 episodes!  I thought it was 6 for some reason!

4 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

Demarco keeps saying stuff like "don't worry we have some new exciting stuff to share" but then that stuff never gets announced

I think Demarco has announced some of the stuff, but I don't know that he's announced what all of it is.  I haven't really kept that close of track, either.  I remember him claiming there were some shows coming through but then said deals on 2 of the shows fell through.  It would be smarter if he would just say they have anything until they can actually announce it.  But yeah, he's full of shit.

2 hours ago, Top Gun said:

I forgot how much this folder sucks.  I don't give a fuck if it fits, I don't give a fuck how many people watch it, it is one of the greatest motherfucking pieces of animated television ever created and I am goddamn thrilled to have the privilege of seeing it on my screen again.

5008_9c00_420.gif?1318992465

YES!  Clearly these casual plebeian filth need to be educated!

1 hour ago, ben0119 said:

I think Demarco has announced some of the stuff, but I don't know that he's announced what all of it is.  I haven't really kept that close of track, either.  I remember him claiming there were some shows coming through but then said deals on 2 of the shows fell through.  It would be smarter if he would just say they have anything until they can actually announce it.  But yeah, he's full of shit.

i don't want The Lead spot on toonami to be cowboy bebop in a few weeks...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EmpressAngel said:

Ah hell, they're gonna have to cut down Paranoia Agent's OP aren't they.

Truly the greatest consequence of its return. At least we'll get it for the premiere run.

Wait, does FUNi even know that the show title's appearance in the opening credits is ridiculously easy to miss?

7 hours ago, ben0119 said:

What?!  Bruh, I deem you casual FILTH!  Paranoia Agent is awesome and easily one of the classic must-see/required watching shows along the likes of Coyboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, and FLCL.

Also, it's not very long.  So maybe Demarco is confident they won't need more than a 6 week buffer.  If he planned to air this all along, then LOL. 

Nevermind, it's 13 episodes!  I thought it was 6 for some reason!

I would argue that DeMarco’s stated goal for the block, as a bespoke, premium content answer to Netflix, FUNi and Hulu’s next day delivery of anime is exemplified by PA.

I also believe it’s going to tank just as hard as last time, except the anger against it won’t really be there this time.  Ooh, Toonami’s airing Paranoia Agent on a Saturday night.  Forgiving time has lost all meaning until this crisis ends, the options available to viewers have broadened immensely.   “Oh man, Paranoia Agent?  Let me fire up Netflix and watch...hey, Bleach movies!  Ooh, a new Ghost in the Shell!”

8 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I am happy Food Wars is finally leaving the block, and I love this show, but is a show about paranoia, with this tone, really the best thing to be playing right now?  People are already going crazy enough as it is!  Well, I guess we'll just have to see how this show adds to it!

And wow, it's not at the end!

I think Paranoia Agent is the PERFECT show for Toonami to be playing during the pandemic!

It's interesting that DeMarco is saying Food Wars is being REPLACED completely. We're losing Demon Slayer just 2 weeks after PA hits the block. If they were bringing in 3rd Plate, that's when I would put it. I wonder what will be replacing Demon Slayer instead if that's NOT the case.

But it's quite interesting that we have a show that really doesn't fit the feel of Toonami replacing ANOTHER show that never really seemed to fit the feel of Toonami. And that show replaced another show that really didn't fit the feel of Toonami (Promised Neverland), and then of course THAT show ALSO replaced a show that didn't really fit the feel of Toonami (Megalobox), and then...well, you get the idea.

So perhaps this is just a stop-gap before 3rd Plate comes on? While Food Wars is different, I did enjoy First Plate and Second Plate, and would like to be able to see 3rd plate on Toonami. The question is: "When?" I guess the rights issue might be resolved in a month or two, and right now shows that are already dubbed are invaluable since due to the pandemic and the precarious situation of home studios, work on new dubs has slowed to a crawl or at least a slow waddle from its previous breakneck pace. So we COULD see Third Plate return to replace MHA (NOT at Midnight), Black Clover (if it goes into hiatus, which it seems it will) or JoJo.

If Toonami is looking for "low-hanging fruit" for 12:30 to replace Demon Slayer, might I suggest Tokyo Ghoul: RE? Or maybe Blood Blockade Battlefront? How about Star Blazers 2199/2202? That should hold down a timeslot for a while! It seems 2020, with its unique challenges, might be the perfect year to explore some of these overlooked gems, especially during the 2017-19 time frame when the block was loaded, now that it's all they can do to fill 3 hours!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Well one of the "announcements" they appear to deem exciting is that MHA's dub is continuing on Toonami. But they don't say for how long. Like okay but a .... one or two week extension before the dub delay isn't really much to be happy about. Your exciting announcement is about one weekend??

I wonder if they're gonna announce another new show into the year.

Edited by elfie

This is great. I was hoping the pandemic would make them grab some catalogue shows out of necessity, and their first choice couldn't have been better. It's also fitting because this was the last show my college's anime club watched before all the schools shut down, so I know a little bit about this one already. If they can get another show of this caliber to replace Demon Slayer, I'll be over the moon.

As for Food Wars!, the rights are probably entangled because Crunchyroll is the primary streamer for seasons 3 and up. I'm sure the rest of it will show up eventually, which might be good for me because I haven't bothered with it past halfway through the first season.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, elfie said:

Is it? Isn't Season 3 the latest the dub has gotten?

One more full season. AFAIK, 4th Plate is either not dubbed yet or partially dubbed, but 3rd plate is. It seems Toonami is working through the issues and might be able to get it in time to replace one of the other shows temporarily between Black Clover and JoJo that might run out of dubbed episodes prematurely.