UnevenEdge

Vic Mignogna is in Trouble

ben0119

I tried watching one of this guy's videos once. Strike one was calling Rial's fiance "Ronald Soye" instead of "Ronald Toye". Strike two was him spelling out certain words to get the video through "the YouTube algorithm". Strike three was him genuinely wishing the end of Anime News Network - an online encyclopedia that I've put years into helping expand and constantly use for staff and cast information - for no other reason than he wants the #KickVic-supportive staff to get sued like Jamie and Monica are right now.

Fuck that guy.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, pail said:

Coming from the sad sack that leaves me 30 or so little presents in my notifications several times a day.

That's not "interacting," that's marking hazardous waste so others are properly warned to stay away.  It's a service I happily provide.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 5:44 AM, PokeNirvash said:

I tried watching one of this guy's videos once. Strike one was calling Rial's fiance "Ronald Soye" instead of "Ronald Toye".

You think anybody's out there stanning Vic Mignogna if they're capable of doing any kind of basic research? Just be impressed he managed to figure out how to upload a video.

Well fuck, this definitely took a bit of a turn!

I can't reasonably say that I expected Vic to actually attempt legal action.  I pretty much expected that he would quiet down for a while, go "find God" or something (or "refind God"?  I dunno), then come back in a few years doing smaller roles.  I expected that he would have a presence, but that it would be substantially reduced and never as great as it once was.

Vic is finished.  No matter how this turns out, Vic is never voice acting in anything of note again.  I can't see public opinion being on his side at all regardless of the outcome.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2019 at 3:22 AM, CaptainStarwind said:

Vic is finished.  No matter how this turns out, Vic is never voice acting in anything of note again.  I can't see public opinion being on his side at all regardless of the outcome.

If his inevitable exit from the industry is indeed assured, innocent or guilty, one truth prevails: Rohan Kishibe is the perfect swan song for him.

Edited by PokeNirvash

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

If his inevitable exit from the industry is indeed assured, innocent or guilty, one truth prevails: Rohan Kishibe is the perfect swan song for him.

No it's not. Araki's work deserves better than that asshat's annoying ass voice. Sakurai's work in the Japanese version doesn't deserve to be associated with him.

• Thanks 1
  • D'oh 2

In my opinion, that is. It's a shame others can't appreciate Vic's final big new role being a creepy guy who finds himself in harrowing situations he manages to weasel his way out of, except for the one or two times he didn't. Just like in real life!

But hey, to each their own. It's not like your opinion of the man invalidates mine or whatever. ¬¬

Edited by PokeNirvash
I really need to learn to not get so mad at people shitting all over my opinions.

True, but that's what it feels like (at least, how I see it) when said disagreement comes off more like a statement of fact.

Or maybe that's just what I think about any difference of opinion that starts out with a "No."

Edited by PokeNirvash

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

True, but that's what it feels like (at least, how I see it) when said disagreement comes off more like a statement of fact.

Or maybe that's just what I think about any difference of opinion that starts out with a "No."

So what you're saying is that you have a personal problem with people disagreeing with you. You've had a problem with me since I said goddamn in your Toonami thread. You get to post your opinion on the asshat and so do I. Deal with it or block me, I don't care.

I don't want to appreciate Vic or any of his work. Period. He's not even that great of a voice actor. He never has been. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

No it's not. Araki's work deserves better than that asshat's annoying ass voice. Sakurai's work in the Japanese version doesn't deserve to be associated with him.

I’ll always associate Rohan’s voice with Hiroshi Kamiya from the recent games since he did such a great job at bringing out how much of a smarmy dick the character is. I had to get used to Sakurai since his voice was a little lighter than I imagined, but he did decently.

But the introductory episodes with Vic as Rohan haven’t given me the confidence that they casted him correctly. With so many awesome choices like their Josuke/Okuyasu VA’s and getting DC Douglas onboard for Kira, Vic stands out like a sore thumb as someone that was casted for their star power.

But he’ll probably still have Broly by the time this ends. Maybe Junpei if they dub any more Persona spinoffs. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

So what you're saying is that you have a personal problem with people disagreeing with you.

In the heat of things, yes, and believe me, I'm trying my damndest to get over it. I'm well aware that everyone's entitled to their opinion, and that if two of those opinions clash, it's not the end of the world for either one. But there's just a part of me that feels irked, to put it lightly, whenever someone says something along the lines of "I don't like ____, and here's why" that, because of my stance on the topic, be it like or love or even toleration, I end up reading as "___ is objectively bad, ergo you suck for liking it". Add in any number of additional facets like choice wording, writer personality, sometimes profanity where profanity isn't required, and that gut reaction ends up overshadowing the response of "That's okay" that I wind up sticking to in the end. Underneath those thoughts, I know full well that such brazen statements as "Nobody needs Toonami anymore" or "Vic Mignogna was always a terrible voice actor" are matters of opinion, but really, you can't blame me outright for having the inverse of "STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE" as the first feeling to pop up in the process of emotions that I go through whenever I read such statements. Come to think of it, my "personal problem" isn't just anger at opinions that counter my own. It's fear that if I read into them, if I really think long and hard about them, I'll wind up having a complete 180 in opinion and end up completely agreeing with the opinion in question. I know, it's a stupid belief system to have, but like I said, I'm trying to move past that phase where I quit following anime blogs because the users wound up hating half the shows I watched in a given year, and towards one where I can just brush off certain opinions after giving them a good read-through if they aren't in line with my own opinions.

12 minutes ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

So what you're saying is that you have a personal problem with people disagreeing with you.

Exactly. Believe me, Queen, I think you're a cool person. I don't want this casual message board acquaintanceship of ours to be soured because I said some stupid things like I did earlier today and reacted in a stupid way like I did the other week. I won't blame you if you decide to downvote me, snark at me, or just ignore me outright after this time-consuming spiel that would honestly be better suited for a private message, that's your decision to make. Just know that I'm not nearly the jerk I've made myself out to be recently, and that I'm honestly trying to better myself from those days in the late-2000s ASMB where I was considered one of the more annoying users by the majority of AD. I may still say stupid things - to err is human, after all - but however you or anyone else responds, especially in the negative, I'll try not to be a complete ass about it next time.

So... truce?

(If you're wondering why I quoted you twice, it's because I watched the last two episodes of Evangelion yesterday (yes, yes, I know it sucks :P), they had scenes where characters responded to the same question more than once, and I was in a psychoanalytical enough mood while writing this that I couldn't resist the opportunity to subtly reference it.)

1 hour ago, imchapp.in said:

I’ll always associate Rohan’s voice with Hiroshi Kamiya from the recent games since he did such a great job at bringing out how much of a smarmy dick the character is. I had to get used to Sakurai since his voice was a little lighter than I imagined, but he did decently.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't take him over from the games along with Wataru Takagi as Okayasu (but then he loves Okayasu so much I don't think he'd let anyone else play him. He'd probably stand outside the studio in protest :D). Sakuari does a really great bitchy dude but mostly because he's great at carrying that sweetness in his voice that it makes you take a minute to realize you've just been insulted.

15 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

It's fear that if I read into them, if I really think long and hard about them, I'll wind up having a complete 180 in opinion and end up completely agreeing with the opinion in question.

Even if that were true, why would that be something to fear?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Gina Szanboti said:

Even if that were true, why would that be something to fear?

Shit, I dunno, maybe because I don't like having my perspective on events as I experienced them changed because I read someone else's perspective on those same events, maybe? Or maybe because if I try to defend my opinion in response, the original opinion-holder will defend theirs right back like they're trying to convince me I'm in the wrong. Like I said, worrying about those sorts of things is stupid, and I'm trying to move away from them before I end up being just as hated here as I was back in 2008 ASMB.

9 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Shit, I dunno, maybe because I don't like having my perspective on events as I experienced them changed because I read someone else's perspective on those same events, maybe? Or maybe because if I try to defend my opinion in response, the original opinion-holder will defend theirs right back like they're trying to convince me I'm in the wrong. Like I said, worrying about those sorts of things is stupid, and I'm trying to move away from them before I end up being just as hated here as I was back in 2008 ASMB.

Than don't share your opinions or read anyone else's.

On 6/1/2019 at 4:27 PM, QueenoftheDorks said:

I'm honestly surprised they didn't take him over from the games along with Wataru Takagi as Okayasu (but then he loves Okayasu so much I don't think he'd let anyone else play him. He'd probably stand outside the studio in protest :D). Sakuari does a really great bitchy dude but mostly because he's great at carrying that sweetness in his voice that it makes you take a minute to realize you've just been insulted.

That definitely gives Sakurai the edge as Rohan. He did a great job at being a self-indulgent shit in Osomatsu-san as the title character, so he did end up meshing far better with Rohan as we got to know him.

3 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

I'm just hoping Viz gets the Rohan OVAs and recasts him to someone who can actually pull off the "smarmy, but ultimately likable" vibe he's supposed to have. Call in the guy who does Reigen, he nails that vibe.

if we learned anything from Boruto it's that the Smash 4 Announcer can sound just like VIC if he wants to

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, mochi said:

if we learned anything from Boruto it's that the Smash 4 Announcer can sound just like VIC if he wants to

Xander Mobus.

.... so so far, we have Josh Grelle, Sam Riegel, Sean Schemmel, and Xander Mobus who can all sound like Vic if they want to!

Also Kaiji Tang, who claims to do a spot-on impression of Vic's voice for Ed Elric.

18 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

I'm just hoping Viz gets the Rohan OVAs and recasts him to someone who can actually pull off the "smarmy, but ultimately likable" vibe he's supposed to have. Call in the guy who does Reigen, he nails that vibe.

As much as I'm... let's say, used to Vic's rendition, I wouldn't mind hearing Kirbopher's take on Rohan.

Edited by PokeNirvash

18 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Yes. I haven't seen dubbed Mob, but that's also Sakurai playing him so let's just do that.

English dubs should just do like the Japanese dubs for live action films and just assign someone to always play them. (Or alternatively the "Marvel said Steve Blum is Wolverine's voice forever" approach.)

LOL. Real "checkmate, libtards" hours.

More than anything, I just think it's time for the anime community to move on from this stuff. It's not like it's hung over fandom as a whole like a dark cloud, but there are certain people who really need to get it drilled into their head that this fanatical appreciation for Vic isn't healthy for themselves and anyone else. They've already discredited themselves so much with all the words they've typed.

" Mignogna is seeking "monetary relief over $1,000,000.00" in part due to Funimation no longer contracting him for future productions, as well as conventions canceling his appearances. "

Fucking christ, somebody wanna tell McNuggets that cons aren't obligated to invite him to shit? Even if you disregard aaaaall the sexual harassment, he's still got a major reputation for being a pain in the ass as a guest and treating con staff like garbage. Eventually that would have caught up to him and enough places would decide he's not worth the money.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1