UnevenEdge

Vic Mignogna is in Trouble

ben0119

yeah, again, I dunno that his Salvation army thing is a dog-whistle or not but it's a pretty well known fact if you're LGBT that the Salvation army uses almost all the money donated to them to support anti-gay charities and politicians

semi-related this week has been very unpleasant

the Jussie Smollett fake hatecrime thing

then I got a Wisdom tooth and can't get it taken care of because the dentist was asking for more money than I have just to EVALUATE my teeth

then one of the art groups I'm in one of the guys started ranting about how Vic is innocent, and got suicidal over it, 

**sigh**

13 minutes ago, mochi said:

then I got a Wisdom tooth and can't get it taken care of because the dentist was asking for more money than I have just to EVALUATE my teeth

then one of the art groups I'm in one of the guys started ranting about how Vic is innocent, and got suicidal over it, 

**sigh**

See Mochi, this just proves it was all in your head all along. Hate crimes against gays don't exist, they're all fake.

My last root canal was 4k, how much was this guy asking?

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Daos said:

See Mochi, this just proves it was all in your head all along. Hate crimes against gays don't exist, they're all fake.

My last root canal was 4k, how much was this guy asking?

I don't even know the EVALUATION (i.e. they were just gonna look at my teeth) was $280

Try looking up dental schools in your area. They're basically students who have finished the education part of their degree but still need to put in hands-on hours to graduate. There's always a licensed dentist supervising the work and it's usually cheaper than a private office. I know my sister's used them for her wisdom teeth when she didn't have insurance and has never had a problem from it.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2019 at 11:24 PM, mochi said:

**sigh**

So I'm not the only one who's had dentist issues this week?

My dentist forgot to shoot my mouth up with anesthetic before filling my cavities so I felt it every time the drill hit.  Then she didn't even get to one and told me to come back to get it filled.  So I'm now trying to find a new dentist.

• Sad 1

Yesterday a woman by the name of Jamie Lynn started a fundraiser to raise money for the National Organization of Sisters of Color Ending Sexual Assault (SCESA), an organization which I am confident was started yesterday too. Jamie Marchi is the organizer. Tons of Funimation voice actors have already donated. https://www.gofundme.com/VoicesWithoutFear

4 hours ago, elfie said:

Yesterday a woman by the name of Jamie Lynn started a fundraiser to raise money for the National Organization of Sisters of Color Ending Sexual Assault (SCESA), an organization which I am confident was started yesterday too. Jamie Marchi is the organizer. Tons of Funimation voice actors have already donated. https://www.gofundme.com/VoicesWithoutFear

I don't understand why they would create a GFM to donate to the SCESA when they could just tell people to go donate to the site directly. Sounds fishy af.

SCESA.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

"After two months, the online ire from both sides shows no sign of abating. Conventions pride themselves on being safe spaces for fans, notes McManus. But now, according to ANN CEO and publisher Christopher Macdonald, 'every convention is scrambling to figure out how to deal with this in the future.'"

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2019/03/10/general/metoo-allegations-roil-u-s-anime-conventions/?fbclid=IwAR1YiO44QAawztTjKMQ-yWEEWKCUIi-WbBC-PYlHfIp6Lz3CzDJkh5IPs5M#.XIZ5aNF7ln6

8 hours ago, elfie said:

"After two months, the online ire from both sides shows no sign of abating. Conventions pride themselves on being safe spaces for fans, notes McManus. But now, according to ANN CEO and publisher Christopher Macdonald, 'every convention is scrambling to figure out how to deal with this in the future.'"

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2019/03/10/general/metoo-allegations-roil-u-s-anime-conventions/?fbclid=IwAR1YiO44QAawztTjKMQ-yWEEWKCUIi-WbBC-PYlHfIp6Lz3CzDJkh5IPs5M#.XIZ5aNF7ln6

This was the spiciest part of the article:

"In recent years, unlicensed photographers taking pictures of scantily clad cosplayers without their permission prompted the now-standard convention hall warning signs: “Cosplay is not consent.” Last spring, one of the organizers of Houston’s Anime Matsuri publicly apologized for his unwanted sexual advances after former attendees launched a campaign to boycott the con. In October, an anime-con regular, who hosted game shows at several cons, announced his retirement after an alcoholic outburst (at his home) resulted in his arrest for beating a cat."

Vic's behavior has been creepy for years, but there is definitely a deeper issue behind making cons a safer place, especially for younger fans, when convention culture means being in the same room as a handful of potential cat-beaters or Hazukari's. It certainly doesn't help that Vic's situation was the writing-on-the-wall that even the talent at an anime con can't be trusted to behave responsibly.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Daos said:

Lol the furor is dying down. He's going to weasel his way back into the industry.

As said before elsewhere, there is no way people can truly end a person's career unless the person is dead. You see examples of this in the news all the time. One of them is in office. And it's harsh and cruel.

Edited by elfie

6 hours ago, elfie said:

As said before elsewhere, there is no way people can truly end a person's career unless the person is dead.

Or unless they diddle the underage/think about diddling the underage like Illich Guardiola and Scott Freeman.

Or if you're Japanese, doing illegal drugs like Pierre Taki from Denki Groove.

The Denki Groove guy is the most depressing because they're axing him from all copies of the game for doing cocaine. Of course, drugs are far more severe in Japan, but there is definitely a stark difference between mangaka getting caught with CP or molestation charges and Pierre Taki getting caught with cocaine. The Viva Namida guy from Space Dandy also got caught with drugs, so there's hope Pierre won't get completely destroyed, but they're going so far as to changing him in the Western release. I mean, damn, SEGA. 

But as far as Vic goes, him being creepy at cons is mild enough where all he really needed to do was stop feeding the fire and let the next big news story overshadow the scandal. It doesn't vindicate him being creepy at cons, but it's a scandal that he would have easily bounced back from if he just disappeared from the spotlight for a month. There's scandals that lead VA's to live with the shame like Guardiola's underage marriage with a student or Freeman's CP, but Vic is renowned enough where being a creep would be a demerit unless something came out where he fully assaulted/raped someone.

3 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

That is gonna be one awkward convention. I wonder how long it takes him to forget the entire shitshow that just happened and start putting his mouth on underage girls.

... I mean, do these guys have a plan B? What happens if Vic continues to get invited to the same convention they are? Will the rest of their careers be filled with tons of canceled con appearances?

Edited by elfie

4 hours ago, mochi said:

as of this morning, they all Have, Vic is now the only quest

tumblr_ly0e9iqXhp1qihzglo1_400.gif

While I'm sure there are plenty of nutjob fangirls and terrible people happy to see McNuggets, I can't imagine a con can do well with only one guest, especially after his reputation is so stained. The fact that they announced him only three weeks before the con seems really gross to me; it comes off like they were intentionally hiding it as long as possible until it was too late for fans to cancel their plans without losing a ton of money. Add in that their website says tickets are nonrefundable, and they're putting fans in a really uncomfortable situation. I've never heard of this con before, but I'd feel pretty disgusted to find out that my money went towards paying to bring a sexual predator straight back to his preferred environment.

Sidenote, what kind of absolute dipshits are organizing this con? I know Vic was probably cheap to get, but they'd already signed on several of his former coworkers that have been very outspoken against him. Who looked at that lineup and said "Hey, let's throw in the guy that pretty much all our other guests are explicitly uncomfortable being around and who's been fired from the very franchise we're celebrating?"

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Greeny said:

Shatner doesn't run his own twitter account. But of course you knew that, didn't you?

Oddly enough, the guy who does has had beef with Vic for years.

actually that's more interesting....since it makes me wonder who IS running Bill's twitter and what Vic did to them

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mochi said:

actually that's more interesting....since it makes me wonder who IS running Bill's twitter and what Vic did to them

I've read that the guy is just salty that Vic and Shatner are friends but I have no idea whether that's true or not.

1 hour ago, EmpressAngel said:

While I'm sure there are plenty of nutjob fangirls and terrible people happy to see McNuggets, I can't imagine a con can do well with only one guest, especially after his reputation is so stained. The fact that they announced him only three weeks before the con seems really gross to me; it comes off like they were intentionally hiding it as long as possible until it was too late for fans to cancel their plans without losing a ton of money. Add in that their website says tickets are nonrefundable, and they're putting fans in a really uncomfortable situation. I've never heard of this con before, but I'd feel pretty disgusted to find out that my money went towards paying to bring a sexual predator straight back to his preferred environment.

Sidenote, what kind of absolute dipshits are organizing this con? I know Vic was probably cheap to get, but they'd already signed on several of his former coworkers that have been very outspoken against him. Who looked at that lineup and said "Hey, let's throw in the guy that pretty much all our other guests are explicitly uncomfortable being around and who's been fired from the very franchise we're celebrating?"

... Vic is cheap to get? Guy had by far the longest autograph line in a small con I went to that looked like it was quadruple the lines of any other guest.  It was so bad, they had to close the video room, take out all the seating areas, and move every other panel, just to make more room for one line.

6 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Btw do you know the origin of that Gif? It's a god awful non Nintendo Zelda game. It has some real gems