UnevenEdge

The turtle is down

SwimOdin

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Raptorpat said:

probably a maga person instead of the human/turtle embodiment of the establishment, which I think is worse to the extent that party has a hard floor of like 48 seats in the best of blue years

I would think Lindsay Graham would be next in line.

Thune and Barrasso are technically second and third in line, but that doesn't mean anything (Schumer was third before leapfrogging to leader after Reid retired). But I feel like the conference will pivot to the maga side for the next guy, though that depends on a lot of things including the next election cycle.

23 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

Thune and Barrasso are technically second and third in line, but that doesn't mean anything (Schumer was third before leapfrogging to leader after Reid retired). But I feel like the conference will pivot to the maga side for the next guy, though that depends on a lot of things including the next election cycle.

The MAGA crowd is practically non-existent in the Senate, though.   You’re two cycles away just to build a real MAGA caucus in the Senate.

Edited by scoobdog
Changed my mind

The leadership vote this cycle was 37-10, but the number is realistically skewed because the people really playing the game aren't going to take a swing at the king if they don't think they can go for the kill. If McConnell retired or dropped dead and it was an open contest, I think that 10 would be joined by a few more "I was on board with McConnell (because I cherish my committee assignments) but now is the time for a change" folks.

29 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

The leadership vote this cycle was 37-10, but the number is realistically skewed because the people really playing the game aren't going to take a swing at the king if they don't think they can go for the kill. If McConnell retired or dropped dead and it was an open contest, I think that 10 would be joined by a few more "I was on board with McConnell (because I cherish my committee assignments) but now is the time for a change" folks.

While that isn’t a particularly close vote, especially given it was for an unexpected (and bitterly disappointing) minority, I agree that anything is possible in a void left by McConnell.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a rumor going around on Twitter that Mitch McConnell might cash in his chips, kick the bucket, shuffle off into the great hereafter, for whom the bell tolls, soon.

I don't know how true it is. Has anyone seen him in person recently? 

Just think about it. 

Edited by Icarus27k

4 hours ago, Icarus27k said:

There's a rumor going around on Twitter that Mitch McConnell might cash in his chips, kick the bucket, shuffle off into the great hereafter, for whom the bell tolls, soon.

Just think about it. 

Even turtles hibernate. 

Plus there's nothing he can say that would change what he's supported in the past at this point. If he pops up, he'll be asked questions that he doesn't want to answer.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Icarus27k said:

Just think about it. 

Fingers crossed!

• Haha 2

I bet that thing is happening where somebody falls unconscious and then an angel goes with them through their life to try to make them change the kind of person they are so they can earn a second chance at life.

He's going to flunk hard.

Edited by Sieg67
  • Haha 4

• 3 months later...
56 minutes ago, Jman said:

You’d figure he’s probably set to retire with a hand picked successor.  Then again considering the rest of our geritocracy…

He wont retire until either its an election year for his seat or a Republican Gov can replace his seat. Hes going to Fienstein this thing to the very end.

It also looks like he was having a Seizure. Thats not a stroke, but does look like a seizure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Master-Debater131 said:

He wont retire until either its an election year for his seat or a Republican Gov can replace his seat. Hes going to Fienstein this thing to the very end.

It also looks like he was having a Seizure. Thats not a stroke, but does look like a seizure.

Petit mal seizure. His brain seized up but he didn't fall down. 

Pretty sure the same people who have been screaming about age being a factor are going to be fine with this very obvious sign that no it's not. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Icarus27k said:

I've also heard presyncope, a.k.a. near fainting. 

Benign diagnosis denied. I've done that and was still able to form words and warn the doctor I was starting to head out. You lose strength fast. He didn't fall and was able to be walked off, not carried. 

The orange man gives his thoughts

"That was a sad thing to see. He had a bad fall, I guess, and probably an after-effect of that," Trump later added. "But it was also sad that he gave trillions and trillions and trillions of dollars to the Democrats to waste on the Green New Deal, destroying our oceans and destroying our great, beautiful vistas and plains all over our country with windmills that are very expensive energy. So that's a very sad thing also."

• Haha 7

On 7/26/2023 at 4:54 PM, Raptorpat said:

Beshear would have to pick a successor senator from a shortlist given to him by the state GOP.

Kind of like how a GOP president can only pick a SCOTUS nominee from a shortlist given to him by the Federalist Society.

He doesn't have to.  Sure, republicans passed a law stating that he would have to, but Beshear's the type who would appoint a Dem and sue for his right to do so.

https://www.kentucky.com/news/politics-government/article277714983.html

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, GuyBeardmane said:

He doesn't have to.  Sure, republicans passed a law stating that he would have to, but Beshear's the type who would appoint a Dem and sue for his right to do so.

https://www.kentucky.com/news/politics-government/article277714983.html

It's a rational argument, but give that a number of states have had similar requirements for decades (and *cough* the political implications) I can't see the current SCOTUS siding with him.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

“Are you running for re-election in 2026?”

McConell: *answers in blank stare*

him and Feinstein really need to retire and if either of them has anyone caring a fuck about them needs to stop them from constantly humiliating themselves. It’s just sad at this point 

• Like 1

Let's never forget McConnell stole Obama's third Supreme Court nomination by keeping the seat vacant for almost a year and refused to convict Trump twice in his Senate trials despite Trump's high crimes, both of which were quite alarming (extorting a foreign head of state and inciting a violent mob). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1