UnevenEdge

Adult Swim cuts ties with Justin Roiland following domestic abuse charges, says they will recast Rick and Morty and continue the show

Jman

It will indeed be rough, but even though Roiland was the heart and soul of the show (insomuch that it can have a heart), the writing staff are the people who do the real work. Also, the show's continuity featuring alternate universes and the like means they can get creative and change the status quo however they want.

• Like 2

Aw geez, Rick. I can't believe we got infected with that throat parasite from Universe 42069. At least you found a way to get rid of it, but do you think our voices will ever go back to normal?

Uhh, nope. We're gonna be stuck sounding like knockoffs of ourselves forever.

[insert loud drunken belch here]

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

11 minutes ago, EmpressAngel said:

Aw geez, Rick. I can't believe we got infected with that throat parasite from Universe 42069. At least you found a way to get rid of it, but do you think our voices will ever go back to normal?

I volunteer to do the belches!

I will ruin lives, ears, and recording equipment but it will be the highest quality drunken belch possible with no drunken required. :D 

That said, Morty is 'old' enough that his voice could start to 'change' if necessary. Rick will need work though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can’t believe they actually followed through and did it. Even though pressure was probably mounting daily, I put a little respect on their name for following through despite this crippling their cash cow. 

Would be comedy gold if they cast Tracey Morgan. Just send Rick and Morty to the Tracey Morgan dimension that warps their voice just by being in proximity. Kinda like what was implied would happen on the cob planet 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, EmpressAngel said:

Reminds me of when Jason Biggs left TMNT 2012 and Seth Green took over voicing Leo, they wrote Leo's voice change into the show, maybe they will do something like that here lol

though yeah Squidbillies acknowledged that too

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Daos said:

Not entirely sure I agree with the decision, do we just fire anyone who gets accused of anything? Is the evidence strong?

My guess is Warner did an internal investigation, since this has apparently been researched for two years, and think there is a very good chance Roiland is going to jail.  Maybe not for the full 9 years, but definitely for a while.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jman said:

My guess is Warner did an internal investigation, since this has apparently been researched for two years, and think there is a very good chance Roiland is going to jail.  Maybe not for the full 9 years, but definitely for a while.

Yeah but.. an internal investigation somehow determines guilt over say, court? Now if this was an OJ situation where everyone on Earth knew the guy did it, then yeah you can forgo the trial and just fire him.

But what's the evidence here? Is it all he said she said? He said she said isn't good enough to fire someone unless it's an overwhelming amount of people coming forward like say... Bill Cosby.

1 minute ago, Daos said:

Yeah but.. an internal investigation somehow determines guilt over say, court? Now if this was an OJ situation where everyone on Earth knew the guy did it, then yeah you can forgo the trial and just fire him.

But what's the evidence here? Is it all he said she said? He said she said isn't good enough to fire someone unless it's an overwhelming amount of people coming forward like say... Bill Cosby.

Considering the regulations, a weapon he used and evidence of unlawful imprisonment.  The fact this was charged as a felony means they have proof of a weapon.  If this was a misdemeanor charge, it could be written off as he said/she said, but not with a weapon and proof it was used.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daos said:

The fact that charges have been filed means its beyond just a he said she said. Someone had some meat to put on the table to get charges filed. I imagine adult swims legal team was able to negotiate their way into some details of the case to make a determination of how bad things are. I highly doubt they just threw out their bread and butter on a whim. They know something we don’t, and like what they know is Roiland is boned. 

Even if they didn’t, they tossed out Unknown Hinson for a handful of tweets that were against the current approved narrative. They don’t need an actual legally based reason to toss someone out. Right now, Roiland is bad for the brand, and they will be lucky to salvage any of their advertising contracts without him, it would have been impossible with him. 

• Like 4

I think that it's telling that Adult Swim is trying to keep this going when the batting average for shows going when the original creator bounces is close to zero, especially when Roiland was involved in so much of the show.  Remember House of Cards after Kevin Spacy was charged with all those sexual assault allegations?  Or more recently, the trainwreck that is trying to continue The Witcher without Henry Cavil?  Saying that it doesn't work is usually the kindest interpretation.  

But they have literally NOTHING else to work with.  Family Guy is gone, Venture Brothers is gone (and even on its best days we got a few episodes every few years and they never pulled down ratings like FG), the anime lineup's been close to barren ever since Sony deliberately withheld Demon Slayer, DC cartoons are no longer a feasible option and with Zaslav slashing animation left and right, the block is one step removed from having to ask for Velma.  So Pickle Rick is going to need to work, by hook or by crook.

Because if it doesn't, Smiling Friends and Yolo Silver Destinies is not going to keep the block afloat, let alone FLCL This is Completely Played Out.

5 minutes ago, Jman said:

I think that it's telling that Adult Swim is trying to keep this going when the batting average for shows going when the original creator bounces is close to zero, especially when Roiland was involved in so much of the show.  Remember House of Cards after Kevin Spacy was charged with all those sexual assault allegations?  Or more recently, the trainwreck that is trying to continue The Witcher without Henry Cavil?  Saying that it doesn't work is usually the kindest interpretation.  

But they have literally NOTHING else to work with.  Family Guy is gone, Venture Brothers is gone (and even on its best days we got a few episodes every few years and they never pulled down ratings like FG), the anime lineup's been close to barren ever since Sony deliberately withheld Demon Slayer, DC cartoons are no longer a feasible option and with Zaslav slashing animation left and right, the block is one step removed from having to ask for Velma.  So Pickle Rick is going to need to work, by hook or by crook.

Because if it doesn't, Smiling Friends and Yolo Silver Destinies is not going to keep the block afloat, let alone FLCL This is Completely Played Out.

I have hope this will be more like Ren and Stimpy where the show actually flourished after kicking the creator out (he was also a creep but allegedly that had nothing to do with his firing; he just missed too many deadlines). It's also worth noting that John K. voiced Ren (and I think also Stimpy but I'm not sure) before Billy West seamlessly assumed both roles.

As for the fate of AS as a network... I honestly wouldn't mind them going back to their underground low budget origins with cheap but cool and weird off the wall stuff. Whether or not they'd feel the need to bring Aqua Teen back from the dead is something to consider. They still have all eras of Futurama which they're squandering right now (as is Comedy Central, much to my chagrin).... Bring back Mike Tyson for an all new wacky cartoon (Definitely no MTM revival as Pigeon was too much of an important part of the show, and Norm is irreplaceable). Hire the creator of Tucca and Bertie to come up with something new (that show had a shitload of potential until the scandal surrounding Tiffany Haddish). And for the love of fucking god: GET THE FUCKING CRITIC FOR FUCK'S SAKE. ADULT SWIM ARE IDIOTS FOR NEVER BRINGING THIS TO THEIR NETWORK. Duckman would be great too but that might be less than feasible.

I just hope they don't fall back to parades of shitty live action.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

The fact that charges have been filed means its beyond just a he said she said. Someone had some meat to put on the table to get charges filed. I imagine adult swims legal team was able to negotiate their way into some details of the case to make a determination of how bad things are. I highly doubt they just threw out their bread and butter on a whim. They know something we don’t, and like what they know is Roiland is boned. 

Even if they didn’t, they tossed out Unknown Hinson for a handful of tweets that were against the current approved narrative. They don’t need an actual legally based reason to toss someone out. Right now, Roiland is bad for the brand, and they will be lucky to salvage any of their advertising contracts without him, it would have been impossible with him. 

The evidence has been sealed and the person accusing him is anonymous. The only evidence they should have is his dirty tweets, which are unrelated but probably grounds for a firing.

Kobe Bryant faced Felony sexual assault and the criminal case against him was dropped after a year. From what we know so far there was way more evidence in that case than this one.

Don't get me wrong he's probably guilty as hell, but this case lacks the usual transparency we typically see before we cancel someone and ruin their life.

5 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

I have hope this will be more like Ren and Stimpy where the show actually flourished after kicking the creator out (he was also a creep but allegedly that had nothing to do with his firing; he just missed too many deadlines). It's also worth noting that John K. voiced Ren (and I think also Stimpy but I'm not sure) before Billy West seamlessly assumed both roles.

As for the fate of AS as a network... I honestly wouldn't mind them going back to their underground low budget origins with cheap but cool and weird off the wall stuff. Whether or not they'd feel the need to bring Aqua Teen back from the dead is something to consider. They still have all eras of Futurama which they're squandering right now (as is Comedy Central, much to my chagrin).... Bring back Mike Tyson for an all new wacky cartoon (Definitely no MTM revival as Pigeon was too much of an important part of the show, and Norm is irreplaceable). Hire the creator of Tucca and Bertie to come up with something new (that show had a shitload of potential until the scandal surrounding Tiffany Haddish). And for the love of fucking god: GET THE FUCKING CRITIC FOR FUCK'S SAKE. ADULT SWIM ARE IDIOTS FOR NEVER BRINGING THIS TO THEIR NETWORK. Duckman would be great too but that might be less than feasible.

I just hope they don't fall back to parades of shitty live action.

Difference is Ren and Stimpy was for children and that was in the 90s. A lot of kids probably didn’t even notice the change, and without social media the news of his removal from the project would have likely only found adult eyes. This is a prominent adult oriented cartoon, even if AS didnt say a word, people would immediately notice Rick sounds funny and Roilands name isn’t in the title credits. We are well beyond the point where a change like this can happen and just blow over. 

As for replacements, their backlog options are limited. ATHF had major seasonal rot in its later seasons. Not every episode was bad, but it was too the point more episode per season were bad or forgettable. A big reason Mike Tyson Mysteries was cancelled was because Mike Tyson was losing interest in the project. I highly doubt he would want to get saddled with another show. Tuca and Bertie was cancelled due to middling performance, the Haddish controversy never picked up any steam after breaking. I doubt it’s creator would even want to come back after being swiftly cancelled. 

AS burned quite a few bridges thinking that King Roiland would keep the lights on by himself and now they are gonna have to face the music of that choice. Lucky for them, they have Cusack, so they have at least one popular up and comer to make stuff for them. 

3 hours ago, Daos said:

The evidence has been sealed and the person accusing him is anonymous. The only evidence they should have is his dirty tweets, which are unrelated but probably grounds for a firing.

Kobe Bryant faced Felony sexual assault and the criminal case against him was dropped after a year. From what we know so far there was way more evidence in that case than this one.

Don't get me wrong he's probably guilty as hell, but this case lacks the usual transparency we typically see before we cancel someone and ruin their life.

Can you imagine if we go through this entire song and dance and all charges get dropped? R&M fans will demand he be reinstated to the show, but all the power will be in Roilands court. He will be able to ask for the world and a little more for him to return to R&M and AS will most likely have to give it to him to preserve their top show. 

Im no legal expert so I don’t know how, but I do believe AS has a window to information we do not and used that to make their determination. Remember, they didn’t say a word on this topic for over a week, that’s probably the time they were getting the facts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daos said:

The only evidence they should have is his dirty tweets, which are unrelated but probably grounds for a firing.

They also have access to an entire staff of people who worked with him. All they'd really need to do is send out an email saying "We're looking into some things with Roiland. If you've had uncomfortable experiences with him or know about anyone who has, please respond." If he has a history of sending weird, shitty messages to people it probably wouldn't take long to see enough evidence to fire him just for being a fucking creep, even without the added train wreck of the felony charge.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

They also have access to an entire staff of people who worked with him. All they'd really need to do is send out an email saying "We're looking into some things with Roiland. If you've had uncomfortable experiences with him or know about anyone who has, please respond." If he has a history of sending weird, shitty messages to people it probably wouldn't take long to see enough evidence to fire him just for being a fucking creep, even without the added train wreck of the felony charge.

Well if he was leaving a Roger Ailes style trail of sexual harassment and weirdness behind him, he really should have already been fired.

The timing makes it pretty clear they're firing him over charges where no one knows what the evidence is.

In other I DUN FUCKED UP news....

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Following his Monday arrest on suspicion of misdemeanor domestic violence, San Francisco 49ers defensive lineman Charles Omenihu will remain with the team and continue preparing for Sunday's NFC Championship Game, coach Kyle Shanahan said Wednesday.

Shanahan added that the Niners spent the past couple of days looking into what happened with Omenihu and concluded that the best way of handling it is to let the legal process play out before making further decisions.

"We feel very good letting the legal process take care of itself. And don't feel we should kick him off our team at this time," Shanahan said.

I would like to point out that the one thing that R&M have with all this is that while Roiland was the voice of the two main characters, he wasn't on the writing team. That's Hamon's department. So if the writing itself can maintain the levels it normally does, the 'only' problem is the voices of two characters - something that was being done by a single person before which means the vocals of both might be within reach of anyone who can hit one of those voices easily. 

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Daos said:

In other I DUN FUCKED UP news....

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Following his Monday arrest on suspicion of misdemeanor domestic violence, San Francisco 49ers defensive lineman Charles Omenihu will remain with the team and continue preparing for Sunday's NFC Championship Game, coach Kyle Shanahan said Wednesday.

Shanahan added that the Niners spent the past couple of days looking into what happened with Omenihu and concluded that the best way of handling it is to let the legal process play out before making further decisions.

"We feel very good letting the legal process take care of itself. And don't feel we should kick him off our team at this time," Shanahan said.

Breaking news. Completely different person in completely different industry under completely different circumstances sees completely different outcome.

My dude I straight up don't know what the fuck point you're trying to make here. The NFL is a shitty company that doesn't take domestic violence seriously? Because I don't watch football and even I know that.

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Breaking news. Completely different person in completely different industry under completely different circumstances sees completely different outcome.

My dude I straight up don't know what the fuck point you're trying to make here. The NFL is a shitty company that doesn't take domestic violence seriously? Because I don't watch football and even I know that.

So what's your standard? He's been arrested and accused of a crime. Should he be fired?

I, for one, am happy I never have to hear Morty again....Wish Jerry's voice actor would get into shome shit too....not that I have a problem with Chris Parnell's voice....They just always make him the shittiest character in any show.

We can get guf gufston to voice Rick, because no shit....The first time I ever even payed attention to R&M was on a AS game that was kinda like maniac Masion....That was the first time I ever heard ricks voice and I sat there for a while thinking "This sounds like GeeGee...holy shit, did he finally make it".

But seriously...I'm a bit surprised they did this considering no one batted an eye a Harmon's baby rape skit.

On 1/24/2023 at 6:48 PM, Jman said:

"Squanch Games' narrative designer has shared their understanding of Rick and Morty co-creator Justin Roiland's creative involvement with the show in the years leading up to his recent firing from Adult Swim.

On Twitter, Alec Robbins -- who wrote High on Life, the video game created by Roiland -- responded to Elon Musk's claim that the Roiland is "the heart" of Rick and Morty. "[T]o my knowledge, [J]ustin's only real creative involvement with [Rick and Morty] since probably eason 3 is that he recorded the voices from his own basement. 'm told he wasn't welcome in the writers['] room because of multiple covered-up internal WB investigations re: sexual misconduct."

If by did an internal investigation you mean "Already knew about this stuff and covered it up for years" then you are correct sir!

Apparently he was such a maniac he couldn't keep it together enough to be allowed in the writers room. So he wasn't fired over old tweets and these charges were just the last straw.

Edited by Daos
  • Like 1

Sounds like he should have been tossed years ago. But what about royalties? Every time the show airs one of the episodes from the first 6 seasons in any country, Roiland is getting royalties for at least his vocal performances if not producer credit. But they’re not gonna stop airing the old episodes. He’ll be drinking from that sweet R&M teet for many years to come even if he’s thrown in jail.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

Sounds like he should have been tossed years ago. But what about royalties? Every time the show airs one of the episodes from the first 6 seasons in any country, Roiland is getting royalties for at least his vocal performances if not producer credit. But they’re not gonna stop airing the old episodes. He’ll be drinking from that sweet R&M teet for many years to come even if he’s thrown in jail.

Money doesn't help ya much if you're in prison. And he'll probably face a number of civil suits that eat up a good chunk of that. 

But he'll probably still end up richer than most people.

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

Royalties aren't always all that great. They depend on what is set up in initial contracts. 

Plus with all the merch out there, they may have sold their baby at the start. 

22 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

Royalties aren't always all that great. They depend on what is set up in initial contracts. 

Plus with all the merch out there, they may have sold their baby at the start. 

Considering his confidence in hitting on teenagers despite his doughy, babyface appearance, I’m gonna guess his financial windfall for Rick and Morty is pretty healthy. And unless AS is willing to flush 60 episodes worth of reruns, it’s gonna stay that way. 

3 hours ago, Sketch said:

Honestly I'm 100% fine with him collecting royalties if he's doing it from a jail cell.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Honestly I'm 100% fine with him collecting royalties if he's doing it from a jail cell.

Well if he goes to jail, at least there will be a cash pool for the inevitable civil suits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Considering his confidence in hitting on teenagers despite his doughy, babyface appearance, I’m gonna guess his financial windfall for Rick and Morty is pretty healthy. And unless AS is willing to flush 60 episodes worth of reruns, it’s gonna stay that way. 

Creeps will creep regardless of their financials. 

If they didn't, bars would be empty and schools wouldn't have to worry about some lump quoting 'Dazed and Confused' at the volleyball team. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

Creeps will creep regardless of their financials. 

If they didn't, bars would be empty and schools wouldn't have to worry about some lump quoting 'Dazed and Confused' at the volleyball team. 

Perhaps I should rephrase. Considering his success at hitting on teenagers despite his doughy, babyface appearance, I’m gonna guess his financial windfall from Rick and Morty is pretty healthy. 

If he was just your run of the mill creep with no looks or money to lean on, he wouldn’t have gotten away with this as long as he did.

34 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Perhaps I should rephrase. Considering his success at hitting on teenagers despite his doughy, babyface appearance, I’m gonna guess his financial windfall from Rick and Morty is pretty healthy. 

If he was just your run of the mill creep with no looks or money to lean on, he wouldn’t have gotten away with this as long as he did.

Way back when I was in college I knew a kid who was a totally creeper. No looks, no personality and would creep on every girl he could. Didn't matter their age, looks, etc., he was there to 'spit his game'..

One day I was out at the bar and he showed up and started creeping on my girlfriend at the time. I asked him why he had to do this to literally every single girl he meets. Without missing a beat he responds by telling me "It is a numbers game. The more girls I creep on, the more likely I will get some to bite." His response and demeanor reminded me of an animal. 

And sadly he was right. Some poor girl eventually always fell for it. 

I do not know this person anymore, but it shows the mind set of creeps and predators. They just see others as easy meat. They will always grime on others because in their selfish minds you are just a number, and the higher they get those numbers, the more likely they are to get what they want. 

It has nothing to do with money.

It is a predatory mindset. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Along with what atomicinumatt said, I'll also add that some teenagers are just plain stupid as hell.

To make my own clarification, I'm not saying that people look to get creeped on or endure any of the evils that society's creeps are capable of and that they deserve it. 

I am saying I'm old and everyone younger than me is stupid. :P:D:D:D Okay, partially that and partially that there are young kids who will believe any shit someone tells them if they say it with confidence. That Roiland could use the whole R&M thing as part of his bait in recent years was him using the most recently recognizable thing as bait, nothing more. If he wasn't the co-creator, there's still a high probability that something like this would have still happened, we just wouldn't be talking about it because it would just be on a crime blotter in CA along with lists of public intoxication and indecent exposures of other unknown morons. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jman said:

Well if he goes to jail, at least there will be a cash pool for the inevitable civil suits.

My understanding is if a celebrity goes to prison any royalties they would receive usually end up going to pay any legal fees and/or financial judgements against them.

• Like 2

Speaking of jail, can I talk briefly about something bugging me a bit?

It feels like people are trying to downplay these accusations by saying he’s canceled.  No.  Warren Ellis was canceled.  He can’t get work anymore but he can still sleep in his own bed, go to the grocery store, and have dinner at a restaurant whenever he pleases with his Transmetropolitan residuals.

This jackass got ARRESTED.  He’s an accused felon!  That’s not cancelation, that’s potential jail time!  He’s not canceled by the mob, he’s being charged for a crime!  Two!

• Thanks 4