UnevenEdge

Adult Swim cuts ties with Justin Roiland following domestic abuse charges, says they will recast Rick and Morty and continue the show

Jman

Yet people are saying Adult Swim is being too hasty because the verdict hasn’t been decided. We all know WBD would rather jump through numerous hoops than boot Roiland but they had to do their due diligence here and look into the situation. Whatever they dug up had to be enough for them to expect Roiland is guilty of the accusations. Though I wonder if all his other projects would have booted him if Adult Swim didn’t do so first.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jman said:

Speaking of jail, can I talk briefly about something bugging me a bit?

It feels like people are trying to downplay these accusations by saying he’s canceled.  No.  Warren Ellis was canceled.  He can’t get work anymore but he can still sleep in his own bed, go to the grocery store, and have dinner at a restaurant whenever he pleases with his Transmetropolitan residuals.

This jackass got ARRESTED.  He’s an accused felon!  That’s not cancelation, that’s potential jail time!  He’s not canceled by the mob, he’s being charged for a crime!  Two!

Mike Tyson is a convicted rapist. He was sentenced to 6 years in prison and served 3. Should he have had a show?

Being accused of a crime anonymously with sealed records so no one knows what the facts are should never be grounds for being fired or canceled.

Being a maniac that isn't allowed in the writers room of his own show because he's an out of control sexual harassment nut is definitely grounds for being fired.

2 hours ago, Daos said:

Mike Tyson is a convicted rapist. He was sentenced to 6 years in prison and served 3. Should he have had a show?

Being accused of a crime anonymously with sealed records so no one knows what the facts are should never be grounds for being fired or canceled.

Being a maniac that isn't allowed in the writers room of his own show because he's an out of control sexual harassment nut is definitely grounds for being fired.

Mike served his time. He was convicted in 1992. He got his show in 2015. Plenty of time had passed for people to let that go. I don’t think Roiland should be barred from the industry forever. If he is still relevant in 23 years, then go ahead and give him a show. Of course, assuming he stays out of trouble in that time. 

This would be a really dangerous gamble for AS. Let’s say they let the trial play out and he is guilty. AS will get torched for not throwing him out months/years prior when the charges first dropped, especially with the supplemental information coming out. There is too much bad press swirling around Roiland to keep him around. Their number one priority is going to be attempting to salvage R&M as best they can. 

Plus, as I mentioned earlier, AS set the bar really low for themselves with Unknown Hinson. That’s just even more fuel to the fire, you will boot someone for mean tweets, but not for felony charges? Action was not optional for them here, Roiland had to go. If he gets off, they will cross that bridge when they come to it. 

Companies aren't courts. They don't need a legal verdict to take action. As long as they're covering their own asses, they're fully allowed to drop a hot piece of garbage.

Companies also tend to know way more about any given situation than the public ever will, either by having covered it up for a while, or at least doing their own investigations.

End of the day, you just gotta ask yourself: Do you really think they would go through with firing him on a whim? Someone that prominent, and financially crucial, isn't kicked just to save face. He's fired because the alternative is immensely worse.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2023 at 11:17 PM, Daos said:

So what's your standard? He's been arrested and accused of a crime. Should he be fired?

I feel like if a famous, successful white man is getting hit with felony charges in California, there's probably some pretty fucking hard evidence that he did it. So like, yeah I think that's fair.

But that's kinda beside the point. We're random schmucks on the internet, we don't have all the facts about why Adult Swim made that choice, and we're not entitled to that info. We don't know that they made a kneejerk reaction to fire him just because he got accused of something with absolutely zero further deliberation on their part, and there's no reason to assume that's the case. In my opinion, it seems a lot more likely that the felony was a flashing neon sign that made AS stop and think "Hey, this guy's pretty synonymous with our brand at this point and he's getting a lot of negative press right now. Maybe we should look into it and see if he's been a piece of shit in general?" And then they probably did, like, some absolute bare minimum amount of digging within the company and found enough evidence that yes, he is actually a piece of shit in general and they'd rather not work with him anymore.

Is there any particular reason you seem to believe Roiland's been given a raw deal here and AS had no justification in cutting ties with him?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

I feel like if a famous, successful white man is getting hit with felony charges in California, there's probably some pretty fucking hard evidence that he did it. So like, yeah I think that's fair.

But that's kinda beside the point. We're random schmucks on the internet, we don't have all the facts about why Adult Swim made that choice, and we're not entitled to that info. We don't know that they made a kneejerk reaction to fire him just because he got accused of something with absolutely zero further deliberation on their part, and there's no reason to assume that's the case. In my opinion, it seems a lot more likely that the felony was a flashing neon sign that made AS stop and think "Hey, this guy's pretty synonymous with our brand at this point and he's getting a lot of negative press right now. Maybe we should look into it and see if he's been a piece of shit in general?" And then they probably did, like, some absolute bare minimum amount of digging within the company and found enough evidence that yes, he is actually a piece of shit in general and they'd rather not work with him anymore.

Is there any particular reason you seem to believe Roiland's been given a raw deal here and AS had no justification in cutting ties with him?

That was about the 49er. Should everyone accused of a crime be fired? The teams response seems fair unless there's some longstanding pattern of that kind of behavior.

I believe that people accused of stuff like that generally did it, about 99 percent of the time. In light of the reveal that Roiland wasn't even allowed in the writers room due to being a maniac and WB apparently covering up years of misconduct, he should have been canned years ago.

But I'm against Twitter mobs panicking companies into ruining peoples lives before they have any evidence. In this particular case the actual crime he's being fired for involved sealed court documents and an anonymous accuser. The fact that he's probably extremely guilty of everything that everyone has said doesn't mean people shouldn't wait a few days for actual evidence before grabbing their pitchforks.

1 hour ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Now I'm beginning to think Daos has ignored some no's in his lifetime.

Only reason why he'd be up in arms.

I've never been accused of anything, but the guy that trained me for my current job was. He reported a woman for sleeping on the job so she retaliated by claiming that he touched her butt. They did an investigation and found nothing, and no action was taken. But, he said you do have to watch out for retaliation when you report people.

And you kind of prove my point. Shitty people like you are wayyyy too fast to throw out accusations with absolutely zero evidence. It's some weird kind of mob mentality that makes you feel virtuous.

23 hours ago, Daos said:

That was about the 49er. Should everyone accused of a crime be fired? The teams response seems fair unless there's some longstanding pattern of that kind of behavior.

Literally 99% of what I know about the NFL comes from that time a couple years ago where that one player got caught on camera beating the shit out of his wife, and the football bosses decided to just suspend him for two games until there was a public outcry about it. So forgive me for having an extremely low opinion of them.

You said this football guy was charged with misdemeanor. I don't know the specifics of this dude, but considering that's by default a less serious offense than a felony, firing probably isn't warranted. Unpaid suspension is probably fair until there's more info to make an informed decision, and I think it'd be good it if the NFL required any player found to be an abuser to undergo some kind of anger management or behavioral therapy treatment but I'm not holding my breath on that. Of course that's assuming this is a first offense and a player doesn't have a track record of violence that the company is just quietly putting up with because a guy do ball thing real good.

But this is a weird tangent to go on that has basically nothing to do with Roiland, so I don't see much merit in continuing on down this path.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Literally 99% of what I know about the NFL comes from that time a couple years ago where that one player got caught on camera beating the shit out of his wife, and the football bosses decided to just suspend him for two games until there was a public outcry about it. So forgive me for having an extremely low opinion of them.

You said this football guy was charged with misdemeanor. I don't know the specifics of this dude, but considering that's by default a less serious offense than a felony, firing probably isn't warranted. Unpaid suspension is probably fair until there's more info to make an informed decision, and I think it'd be good it if the NFL required any player found to be an abuser to undergo some kind of anger management or behavioral therapy treatment but I'm not holding my breath on that. Of course that's assuming this is a first offense and a player doesn't have a track record of violence that the company is just quietly putting up with because a guy do ball thing real good.

But this is a weird tangent to go on that has basically nothing to do with Roiland, so I don't see much merit in continuing on down this path.

It's not a weird tangent. Roiland was accused and arrested of a serious crime and people want him fired and his IP taken away. What evidence is currently available to the public that he's guilty of the violence and false imprisonment? None that I've seen. The fact that other stuff has come out now that shows that the firing was justified and should have happened long ago isn't the point. People were calling for his head over a case where the court documents are sealed and there's a anonymous accuser.

The 49er's player was arrested and accused of misdemeanor domestic violence. Supposedly he pushed his gf and she fell over. She suffered no visible injuries and refused medical attention. Did he do it? Yeah probably. But maybe he didn't. You advocate for an unpaid suspension for being arrested and charged with this crime, which I would only agree with if there was say, video of him doing it, or at least an eye witness. That stuff that we require in courts... evidence. The team stated that they would let the legal process play out before presuming guilt and handing out punishments and I think that's fair.

You seem to want a system where anyone accused of anything is found guilty in the court of public opinion, fired, and has all their stuff taken away. We set up our legal system the exact opposite way for a reason. Due process, presumption of innocence. I wonder if there have ever been any times when the court of public opinion and the media got it horribly wrong?

• D'oh 1

2 hours ago, Daos said:

You seem to want a system where anyone accused of anything is found guilty in the court of public opinion, fired

11 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

I don't know the specifics of this dude, but considering that's by default a less serious offense than a felony, firing probably isn't warranted.

Okay then, I guess we're done here because you're just straight up not reading the words I wrote. Great job, have fun dying on this hill.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My exact words in the first paragraph. "You advocate for an unpaid suspension for being arrested and charged with this crime"

So I'm not sure why you would say I didn't read what you wrote, I did state your opinion on the subject accurately yes? Would it have made you feel better if I added the qualifier "almost" to the sentence in the third paragraph? But this is just quibbling over semantics at this point. You advocate for immediate punishment for being accused of any crime towards women, regardless of circumstance. That fair?

I think my position is pretty reasonable. We don't find him guilty of things we don't have any evidence for. He's not Cosby, Weinstein or Vic. We don't have dozens, (or in Vic's case hundreds) of people speaking out against this guy, at least not yet. We have some really bad DM's from 7 years ago, and a tweet saying that he's not allowed in the writers room due to constant sexual misconduct. Either one could be grounds for firing.

But they apparently knew about this for years and were fine with it, and covered it up. We have zero evidence on the worst charges, abuse and false imprisonment. That's the serious stuff he faces years in prison for. That's the charge that was apparently a bridge too far for them and resulted in him being fired and basically losing all his IP's and having his life ruined. The fact that he's a creepy weirdo who can't control himself would seem to point to him being guilty in this as well, but can we see any evidence before we ruin a persons life? I'm not even asking people to wait for the trial, just actual evidence. Gross tweets from 7 years ago doesn't automatically mean he's guilty of all the other stuff, it just doesn't speak highly in his favor.

It seems like we've found an end run around presumption of innocence and due process, where we ruin peoples lives first, and wait for evidence later. I'm not a fan.

5 minutes ago, Daos said:

We have zero evidence on the worst charges, abuse and false imprisonment. That's the serious stuff he faces years in prison for. That's the charge that was apparently a bridge too far for them and resulted in him being fired and basically losing all his IP's and having his life ruined.

I don’t think the nature of the charges are the issue. It’s the fact that they are very public and on everyone’s headlines. They had no issue with him being a creep at the office because that was a mostly private matter they could keep a lid on. Now that he has something major public, they don’t really have a choice but to cut him lose to try to save face. 

Imagine you are the head of advertising for Wendy’s. Are you going to keep up your expensive deal with that show that has the guy with felony domestic charges working on it? Probably not. That’s the kind of thing Adult Swim is trying to salvage here. They didn’t fire him because it was the right thing to do, they fired him because he was becoming a greater liability than he was worth financially. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

Why are we using some sports man when we could be using a far more relevant example in Vic Mignogna?

Well, the Niners incident just happened. There's an arrest, and charges. No one really knows what happened yet. The team decided not to rush to judgement and let him play. It's a stark contrast to what is happening with Roiland.

I would argue Vic is a bad example to use against this case. Hundreds of people had stories about him, every convention worker knew they had to try to keep him away from the younglings. OJ levels of evidence there.

1 hour ago, rpgamer said:

Why are we using some sports man when we could be using a far more relevant example in Vic Mignogna?

Vic would probably still be voicing anime if he did hire a circus clown to be his lawyer. Shit, he may have actually faired better with a circus clown, or a monkey, or a brick he found on a stroll. 

1 hour ago, Daos said:

I would argue Vic is a bad example to use against this case. Hundreds of people had stories about him, every convention worker knew they had to try to keep him away from the younglings. OJ levels of evidence there.

Is it? Vic never had any charges against him. His entire situation was he said/she said. Many of the stories that came out against him were walked back or admitted to being exaggerated. Vic was the fujo dream of the 00s. It’s very believable that some clout chasing girls of the time spread rumors that stuck about their exploits with Edward Elric. The only thing believable that came out about him was he doesn’t understand appropriate personal space. 

Unlike Roiland who has felony charges hanging over his head which are quite obviously the reason he is out on his ass, Vic was a very clearly dog piled by people within his own industry that wanted him gone for their own ends. The fact that Todd Haberkorn remains employed despite similar allegations only further supports this. 

• D'oh 1

29 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Vic would probably still be voicing anime if he did hire a circus clown to be his lawyer. Shit, he may have actually faired better with a circus clown, or a monkey, or a brick he found on a stroll. 

Is it? Vic never had any charges against him. His entire situation was he said/she said. Many of the stories that came out against him were walked back or admitted to being exaggerated. Vic was the fujo dream of the 00s. It’s very believable that some clout chasing girls of the time spread rumors that stuck about their exploits with Edward Elric. The only thing believable that came out about him was he doesn’t understand appropriate personal space. 

Unlike Roiland who has felony charges hanging over his head which are quite obviously the reason he is out on his ass, Vic was a very clearly dog piled by people within his own industry that wanted him gone for their own ends. The fact that Todd Haberkorn remains employed despite similar allegations only further supports this. 

Except that's more he said/ she said only with 1000 she's. He was kissing underage girls necks. They don't like that. They also confirmed he gave out his personal phone number to at least one 15 year old. He was trying to bang everything that moved at those cons and he wasn't too picky about age.

"This spurred io9 to conduct interviews with approximately two dozen of Mignogna's accusers, censoring their names to protect their identities. Multiple women recounted their stories of Mignogna inappropriately touching them and aggressively kissing them, with one voice actress recalling a traumatic experience in which Mignogna kissed her and forced her onto his hotel bed, only being saved from further assault by a "door knock." Another industry peer asserts that, after a separate instance of harassment, Mignogna convinced her to briefly visit his hotel room. When she tried to leave, Mignogna forcibly embraced her and began caressing the backs of her thighs without consent, repeating, "'Let me be sweet to you' - over and over, at least five or six times."

Let's be real here, you don't have two dozen accusers if you're innocent, and if they had wanted to they could have found another 10 dozen. He was never charged with any crimes but that is something you can be fired for, in the same way that whatever Roiland did to get booted from the writers room wasn't an actual crime, but something he should likely have been fired for. But we'll find out what he did after the nondisclosure agreements expire and the other writers can talk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Vic would still be employable if he hadn’t tried to  sue FUNimation for defamation. Plenty of creeps still work in the industry unfortunately and most are smart enough to lay low after they are MeToo’d. But don’t dismiss the many many many accounts of Vic preying on teenagers and his colleagues just because no one successfully filed charges. And don’t get me started on how disgusting it is that because he was a big draw, conventions invited him and FUNimation kept casting him even when they knew of his behavior. They enabled Vic and in some cases covered for him. The only solace there is in knowing that is also knowing the management that allowed that is no longer at the company formerly known as FUNimation.

Edited by Sketch
  • Thanks 2

On 1/24/2023 at 7:22 PM, Jman said:

Considering the regulations, a weapon he used and evidence of unlawful imprisonment.  The fact this was charged as a felony means they have proof of a weapon.  If this was a misdemeanor charge, it could be written off as he said/she said, but not with a weapon and proof it was used.

I looked up the charges and actually no, it does not mean a weapon was used.

"Roiland has been charged with two felonies: one count of “domestic battery with corporal injury” and one count of “false imprisonment by menace, violence, fraud, and/or deceit,”

"A corporal injury is a physical injury that causes a traumatic condition" 

It can be anything from a bruise or a cut, to a bullet wound.

"Domestic battery is a misdemeanor. Convictions carry up to:

• 1 year of jail time in county jail, and/or
  • $2,000 in fines.3

Inflicting corporal injury on a spouse, though, is a wobbler. Prosecutors can pursue either misdemeanor or felony charges."

This is why I advise against a rush to judgement on a case where the evidence is sealed.

19 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Tonight at midnight AS aired / is airing two new pilots. I'm guessing they're bracing themselves for lack of Rick and Morty and trying to get some new shows some traction ahead of time.

There were four actually.

Spoiler

I really like Wet City, I'm not sure about Oh My God, Yes!, and MacBeth With Dinosaurs and Yenor both felt like "AHTF we have at home"

Edited by Seight
  • Like 1