UnevenEdge

Pepsi Discontinues Sierra mist in favor of A New Gen-Z Focused Soda(Starry)

CountFrylock

https://www.cbsnews.com/philadelphia/news/pepsi-ditches-sierra-mist-for-new-sprite-rival/

"Starting from a clean slate, Pepsi is positioning Starry toward younger drinkers (i.e. its Gen-Z-appealing slogan that infuses internet slang: "Starry Hits Different") that are shifting away from consuming sugary drinks and are becoming to loyal to smaller brands, like Olipop, that have their "finger more firmly on the pulse," Saunders said.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

Is it just a re-brand? Looks like it.. Sprite is better anyways 

It kinda feels like it, but in the article was this quote:

A Pepsi spokesperson told CNN that Starry has a "higher citrus flavors that are true to fruit and more aromatic" compared to Sierra Mist.

So maybe it will be worth at least trying. I'm not a big fan of either Sprite or Sierra Mist, and I get my citrus soda fix by various Mountain Dew flavors (and am always up for trying new MD flavors) so I have a feeling I'm probably not going to think much of any new lemon-lime, even if it is a little different from the norm. But who knows.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

It kinda feels like it, but in the article was this quote:

So maybe it will be worth at least trying. I'm not a big fan of either Sprite or Sierra Mist, and I get my citrus soda fix by various Mountain Dew flavors (and am always up for trying new MD flavors) so I have a feeling I'm probably not going to think much of any new lemon-lime, even if it is a little different from the norm. But who knows.

It seems that it is going to be sold as a clear, lemon lime and caffeine free soda. So probably the exact same recipe as Sierra Mist, just new label and marketing haha

Also, I did not like Sierra Mist, but loved Sprite for my lemon lime soda. Coke, Dr. Pepper and Dew are my faves though, so I do not care that SM is gone. Will try the new Starry shit but I am sure it will be the exact same as before. 

Edited by atomicinumatt

Pepsi:

ayoooo bruh bruh bruh no cap Sierra Mist is mid. It’s mid bro. It’s actually weird like actually weird. Starry hits different. On god bro facts. Let’s get some RIPs in chat for Sierra Mist. L Sierra Mist bro. W starry on god bro

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Seight said:

I tried some earlier and...I think it actually has more Lemon-Lime taste than Sierra Mist does, maybe?

Hmm. I am in the Mid-Atlantic region and I have not seen it available around me yet, but I will have to find it and try it. I was never really a fan on many of Pepsi's products and always preferred Sprite to Sierra Mist. But I will have to give this Starry a try whenever I see if for sale around me haha 

27 minutes ago, Poofy said:

Pepsi:

ayoooo bruh bruh bruh no cap Sierra Mist is mid. It’s mid bro. It’s actually weird like actually weird. Starry hits different. On god bro facts. Let’s get some RIPs in chat for Sierra Mist. L Sierra Mist bro. W starry on god bro

Yee bro, Starry got dat drip. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

They all taste the same with slight differences but none of them are unique enough for me to show any kind of brand loyalty. 

"Can I get a sprite"

"We have sierra mist"

"Whatever"

Only exception, for completely unscientific reasons, is that there's not replacing 7-Up when you're sick with a cold.

On 1/12/2023 at 4:24 PM, CountFrylock said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/philadelphia/news/pepsi-ditches-sierra-mist-for-new-sprite-rival/

"Starting from a clean slate, Pepsi is positioning Starry toward younger drinkers (i.e. its Gen-Z-appealing slogan that infuses internet slang: "Starry Hits Different") that are shifting away from consuming sugary drinks and are becoming to loyal to smaller brands, like Olipop, that have their "finger more firmly on the pulse," Saunders said.

I want to see a picture of the person who came up with this.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, André Toulon said:

They all taste the same with slight differences but none of them are unique enough for me to show any kind of brand loyalty. 

"Can I get a sprite"

"We have sierra mist"

"Whatever"

They all taste like sugar water to me.  And coke and pepsi taste like syrup.  Not that I don't drink them xD

20 minutes ago, The_annoying_one said:

I’m not really a fan of ginger ale.

The taste, not the spice.

It probably is one of the least favorites out there.  The soda not the spice.

::thinks about it::  Okay, so crandberry juice is good for the kidneys (and has been forced down my throat by my mother as far back as I can remember, she having lost a kidney and her paranoid brain convincing her, to this day, that I will loose one as well one day) except I'm not a big fan of cranberry juice.  However I really like it mixed with ginger ale.  Or do I only think I do through years of conditioning.  I'LL NEVER KNOW!  

Edited by Vela
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Vela said:

It probably is one of the least favorites out there.  The soda not the spice.

::thinks about it::  Okay, so crandberry juice is good for the kidneys (and has been forced down my throat by my mother as far back as I can remember, she having lost a kidney and her paranoid brain convincing her, to this day, that I will loose one as well one day) except I'm not a big fan of cranberry juice.  However I really like it mixed with ginger ale.  Or do I only think I do through years of conditioning.  I'LL NEVER KNOW!  

I LOATHE cranberry juice. 😆 I had to drink it sometimes when I was a kid, too.

Speaking of "starry" shit, Coke had a similar drink that was "starlight flavored" a few months back. I, naturally curious, bought a bottle and got halfway through it before pouring the rest in my kitchen sink. It was just disgusting as hell. Why would Coke put that monstrosity out there and not put out an American-made throwback cola made with actual pure cane sugar? Money? Stupidity? Both?

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, hornedlizardman said:

Speaking of "starry" shit, Coke had a similar drink that was "starlight flavored" a few months back. I, naturally curious, bought a bottle and got halfway through it before pouring the rest in my kitchen sink. It was just disgusting as hell. Why would Coke put that monstrosity out there and not put out an American-made throwback cola made with actual pure cane sugar? Money? Stupidity? Both?

Well, money and stupidity do make the world go ‘round these days, for the most part.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SwimOdin said:

Hits different is my most hated idiom, now that I’m fucking old.

You're not too old, Odin. I am mid 30's and I hate that term as well. 

Whenever I hear someone say 'hit different' it makes me want to hit them a bit differently. But I am not violent so I just tend to stay away from people who say such stupid things. The TikTok generation is another one I do not understand. Hey, we are totally cool using Chinese spyware willingly because cool videos 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 1:58 AM, cyberbully said:

My kids say gingerale is spicy but I just tase the bubbles..doesn't seem "spicy" to me....Now there's bold gingerale....That's kinda spicy

Yes!  I was talking about the run of the mill ginger ale.  Are you talking about Canada Bold?  Haven't tried it yet.  I don't travel much anymore but I used to keep a baggy of sugar coated ginger bits or take a bottle of the strong stuff, anything that boasts real ginger root.

Starry is going to be “an Instagramable” brand

idk shit about GenZ but someone please tell me they don’t really gaf about a brands “Instagramability”. I can’t see it “well it tasted great but aesthetically it’s Instagram shit so I stopped fuckin with it”

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, 1pooh4u said:

Starry is going to be “an Instagramable” brand

idk shit about GenZ but someone please tell me they don’t really gaf about a brands “Instagramability”. I can’t see it “well it tasted great but aesthetically it’s Instagram shit so I stopped fuckin with it”

If it tastes anything like that "starlight flavored" crap that Coke put out, stay away. lol

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, hornedlizardman said:

If it tastes anything like that "starlight flavored" crap that Coke put out, stay away. lol

That starlight shit, was it citrus though?  My other half accidentally bought it and to me it tasted like champagne cola. When he handed it me to try he said “it tastes like champagne” ofc I was like gimme a break, but there it was tasting like the Jamaican Champagne Cola but acting like a unique thing. 

7 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

That starlight shit, was it citrus though?  My other half accidentally bought it and to me it tasted like champagne cola. When he handed it me to try he said “it tastes like champagne” ofc I was like gimme a break, but there it was tasting like the Jamaican Champagne Cola but acting like a unique thing. 

It was cotton candy flavor. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

No shit?!? No fuckin way!  I would have never in a million years guessed that. 

mystery solved. Thank you. 

I only know bc someone let me try theirs (it was warm...) and I was like wtf is that, and they said it was cotton candy and I went "you're right." Just remember it being really sweet. 

37 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

No shit?!? No fuckin way!  I would have never in a million years guessed that. 

mystery solved. Thank you. 

But see, now that it's been mentioned, it actually makes sense. I just wonder what possessed Coca-Cola to put out a flavor like that? Of course, this is the same soda company that thought it was a good idea to come out with an orange vanilla flavor as well as a cinnamon flavor. I didn't like those either, to be honest.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hornedlizardman said:

But see, now that it's been mentioned, it actually makes sense. I just wonder what possessed Coca-Cola to put out a flavor like that? Of course, this is the same soda company that thought it was a good idea to come out with an orange vanilla flavor as well as a cinnamon flavor. I didn't like those either, to be honest.

Never heard of orange vanilla or cinnamon Coke. They sound…fairly gross.

I used to love regular Vanilla Coke, though.

• Like 1

Just now, The_annoying_one said:

I’ll have to get some ASAP

Just make sure they sell it in your area. I'm not sure if it's sold all across the country. (That's probably why you hadn't heard of the orange creamsicle flavor; same with the cinnamon flavor. Well, that and they didn't last very long. Like maybe a few months or so?)

35 minutes ago, hornedlizardman said:

Just make sure they sell it in your area. I'm not sure if it's sold all across the country. (That's probably why you hadn't heard of the orange creamsicle flavor; same with the cinnamon flavor. Well, that and they didn't last very long. Like maybe a few months or so?)

According to Google, the Wal-Mart I shop at sells it. And I was just there last night, dang it!