UnevenEdge

okay, so will smith gets points for style, but he doesn't even crack the top ten all time for me

nameraka

5 hours ago, Sawdamizer said:

Real talk -

it really appears that Will is going through some mental health shit from the look of it, and a couple years now…the dude has been through a lot.. getting cucked was probably a heavy thing.

I've seen a lot of back and forth on this one. Many of the folks on twitter going on about how he should have gotten thrown out of there and/or arrested for assault.

Then there's people that defend him and put the blame on his wife Jada instead. Considering all the shit she's done to him over the years, and how she cheated on him, all that shit that aired on tv back then.

When the joke was first told Will was laughing along, but pictures I've seen showed his wife glaring at him, looking very upset, and I guess he realized he needed to step up to keep her happy. Though I can't blame her for not liking the joke being made, considering that one condition she has that's causing her to go bald.

In all seriousness, I think the disturbing part about this whole misadventure is that one of the most bankable stars is being used to feed the worst tendencies of white people.

Maria Shriver of all people had this to say:

I'm not saying Will has a right to bitchslap Chris in front of millions of people, but tweets like this smack of the kind of hypocrisy that lead to black people being treated differently when they have an unfortunate and very human reaction to something that's painful.  It comes across as patronizing.  It also somehow comes across as chastising Will without showing an empathy for the other black man involved, all while channeling the dark imagery of domestic violence.  Other reactions are also somewhat disturbing, including those that suggest that Jada was using Will as a proxy for her own beef with Chris (in reference to the fact that this is the second time at the Oscars she was the blunt of one of his jokes).  To directly refute what Maria was trying to say, love as Will alluded to in his slapdash attempt at an apology / acceptance speech isn't about violence but it is about compassion in the wake of pain and violence.  And, whether people want to hear it or not, making fun of someone for a medical condition that is unexplained in addition be disfiguring is painful.... enough to cause the emotional distress that leads to these ugly moments.

I get the need to laugh at this.  I just can't help but notice that everyone is dancing around the fact that a very serious personal altercation between two well known and loved black entertainers is being reduced to the same finger wagging that other black people get when their very human reactions run afoul of our sense of decency.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Kudasai said:

In all seriousness where was that smoke for August when slapping his wife's cheeks?

August kept within the preset guidelines.

You can fuck Will's wife, but you can't make a joke at her expense.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, That_One_Guy said:

I mean the joke was in poor taste but it was a joke yo 🤷

It was punching down.  Take this with a grain of salt because of who is saying it, but he has a point.  In particular, making fun of someone for a medical condition, especially for a person who has a well known diagnosis, is dangerous territory if the person is the blunt of the joke as opposed to being in on it (like a comedy roast) and able to give constructive context.  It doesn't help that Jada Pinkett Smith is generally unlikable, and definitely deserves the past jokes directed at her questionable marriage life choices (as Rock has done at the Academy Awards previously):  that tends to give cover to those claiming she needs to lighten up and ignores all the other people that actually might be hurt hearing that joke.

I like Chris Rock, and I will still appreciate his humor after this just the same.  He got carried away and made a joke he shouldn't have, and he didn't deserve to be physically attacked for it.  I also think JPS has every right to be hurt by it, and that Will Smith deserves some empathy for having a momentary breakdown with catastrophic potential.  It's depressing thinking about it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Quite, and it might cost Will his A-List ranking.

I feel like Will Smith would have to do a lot more than that for him to lose any meaningful popularity.

And the only people who are really upset were just looking for a reason not to like him or already actively disliked him.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, PenguinBoss said:

I feel like Will Smith would have to do a lot more than that for him to lose any meaningful popularity.

And the only people who are really upset were just looking for a reason not to like him or already actively disliked him.

The people who most "matter" in that sense are the overwhelmingly white men who bankroll the big budget films and who would gladly use any excuse to not pay top dollar for a "problematic" black actor.  Will was already starting to age out of being top billing in a blockbuster, but this certainly isn't going to help.

2 hours ago, That_One_Guy said:

I mean the joke was in poor taste but it was a joke yo 🤷

It being just a joke doesn't take the sting out of it. It was probably equivalent to the sting of his open hand slap. Doubt it does anything to hurt Will Smith for real. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vamped said:

I'm good. Maybe he'll keep her name out of his mouth going forward.

Well I had someone point this out to me like an hour after it happened. Not extremely interested, but apparently Jada has publically came out about struggling with alopeca to her fans and media saying it's really been causing her some depression. Rocks joke was...on par for him probably I don't know? You heard him say "come on guys that was a good one" after he made the joke because the crowd and everybody kind of gasped after he said it...

7 minutes ago, Vamped said:

It being just a joke doesn't take the sting out of it. It was probably equivalent to the sting of his open hand slap. Doubt it does anything to hurt Will Smith for real. 

I dont disagree it was a bad joke but chris rock was up there doing his job. You dont just walk up and crack someone while theyre working. Especially over that weak ass joke. Willard was clearly being commanded by jada. Dude was laughing hard af till she looked at him sideways. He looks corny for that. He looks even cornier for stealing on a 120 pound 60 year old man and not dropping him 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, That_One_Guy said:

I dont disagree it was a bad joke but chris rock was up there doing his job. You dont just walk up and crack someone while theyre working. Especially over that weak ass joke. Willard was clearly being commanded by jada. Dude was laughing hard af till she looked at him sideways. He looks corny for that. He looks even cornier for stealing on a 120 pound 60 year old man and not dropping him 

Clearly you do now XD

looks like defending his wife's honor to me. 

Don't get on stage insulting a black woman's hair in your future 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, That_One_Guy said:

Yeah she was back there nodding her head when he said "Keep my wife's  name out your fucking mouth." Will Smith actually has a history of assaulting people in hollywood though. It's usually awkward shit like this from what I remember though. I was trying to figure out who it was he supposedly beat up years ago. Idk when I looked it up apparently he's been back in forth with some rappers and had his ass beat back in the day. Too much 'he said she said' bullshit for me to dig through when I looked into Will Smith's rap sheet out of curiousity. 😄

14 minutes ago, Vamped said:

Clearly you do now XD

looks like defending his wife's honor to me. 

Don't get on stage insulting a black woman's hair in your future 

I insulted this dude for having a douchey haircut and he showed me girls he fucked on tinder and called me ugly lol thats as bad as its gotten for me 😂

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

It was punching down.  Take this with a grain of salt because of who is saying it, but he has a point.  In particular, making fun of someone for a medical condition, especially for a person who has a well known diagnosis, is dangerous territory if the person is the blunt of the joke as opposed to being in on it (like a comedy roast) and able to give constructive context.  It doesn't help that Jada Pinkett Smith is generally unlikable, and definitely deserves the past jokes directed at her questionable marriage life choices (as Rock has done at the Academy Awards previously):  that tends to give cover to those claiming she needs to lighten up and ignores all the other people that actually might be hurt hearing that joke.

I like Chris Rock, and I will still appreciate his humor after this just the same.  He got carried away and made a joke he shouldn't have, and he didn't deserve to be physically attacked for it.  I also think JPS has every right to be hurt by it, and that Will Smith deserves some empathy for having a momentary breakdown with catastrophic potential.  It's depressing thinking about it.

His PR chick looked like she was trying to get him air lifted out after that lol. Kept running over to his table whispering to him. His acceptance speech was something else though. Just about had a mental breakdown there as well..

Marshall Herskovitz said Will has disgraced their entire community….

The entire entertainment community is disgraced by what Will did.

this single act, has disgraced the community in which he is part of…. This… act.

B9982C75-5FD5-4FD3-A7B9-493173972993.jpeg

Edited by Sawdamizer
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sawdamizer said:

this single act, has disgraced the community in which he is part of…. This… act.

Lmao so weinstein, epstein, and pauly shore just never happened in his mind?

I guess I'm in the camp that believes Will Smith took so many comedy/media blows over his wife like a champ... and this one was just the breaking point. I mean there's a point here in this meme below. It's just part of Chris Rocks whole schtick is to be an over the top annoying little shit talker so what tWG said. I get that. Will Smith...Lol That man just finally had enough..and I can see how the Chris Rock dynamic and the Oscars setting could contribute as well. Either way like everybody that went up after the incident said he definitely made this years Oscars one to remember lol. 

42cddd03d83e018e2e4c210826b0ff45b8956a3e

That said if someone didn't punch chris rock I never would've known the Oscars happened. Thanks again. Will. ^_^

Edited by PhilosipherStoned
slapped*

1 hour ago, Sawdamizer said:

Spoiler

and later the 2002 Academy Award for Best Director.

Because Polanski would have been arrested in the United States, he did not attend the Academy Awards ceremony in Hollywood. After the announcement of the Best Director Award, Polanski received a standing ovation from most of those present in the theater.

Edited by Seight
  • Thanks 3

IMO, Will had moral justification. I would’ve done the same thing if my wife had an illness and someone made fun of it and her. Ethically, he shouldn’t have hit him. The yelling and possibly going up to verbally defend his wife’s honor would’ve sufficed, but even that would’ve been torn apart.

Furthermore, I absolutely hate these “Will Smith is a cuck” jokes. They’re married, in a true committed relationship, and that means having your spouse’s back no matter what, especially if the both of them worked past the cheating incident. That’s what it means to be a husband.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1