UnevenEdge

okay, so will smith gets points for style, but he doesn't even crack the top ten all time for me

nameraka

2 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

First of all "alopecia" really just means hair loss, and obviously, that refers to anyone who experiences it.  For most people, it can be attributed to another cause (severe obesity, chemotherapy, genetic traits), but it appears to be more common in black women who don't otherwise have the usual physiological factors.  The causes of it are not fully known yet, but it's a well known fact in the African American community that women run a heightened risk of losing their hair for no discernible reason.

See I didn't know this before i posted anything. My entire life I was under the impression that it affected everyone equally. While I do certainly feel sympathy for the black women affected by it and apologize for my initial ignorance, I stand behind my opinion that will smith was wrong.

Just now, That_One_Guy said:

See I didn't know this before i posted anything. My entire life I was under the impression that it affected everyone equally. While I do certainly feel sympathy for the black women affected by it and apologize for my initial ignorance, I stand behind my opinion that will smith was wrong.

Will Smith being wrong isn't in question, it's whether Chris Rock was also wrong.

Just now, scoobdog said:

Will Smith being wrong isn't in question, it's whether Chris Rock was also wrong.

I said from the beginning it was a bad joke lol. Not defending the joke, I defend his right to tell it as a comic. I hate jokes about rape and pedophilia. I think they are shit garbage,  but I don't walk on stage and slap every open mic comic (of which there are many) that tell them.

10 hours ago, scoobdog said:

The term has an ugly connotation to someone who has previously mentioned that he was subject to at least some bigotry because of his race, and it was a needless personal qualifier to an otherwise perfectly articulated point.  As wrong as his argument is, it’s one that other comics, including WOC, have also made in defense of a comic who is also a POC.

It's relevant because skin color has been a factor in a lot of the responses to this situation. Again, I'm not denying his experiences or his background(now that I've seen he's finally been specific about it), but I doubt his opinons were only influenced by being a comic.

Just now, That_One_Guy said:

I said from the beginning it was a bad joke lol. Not defending the joke, I defend his right to tell it as a comic. I hate jokes about rape and pedophilia. I think they are shit garbage,  but I don't walk on stage and slap every open mic comic (of which there are many) that tell them.

Yeah, but you shouldn't defend the right to tell those jokes.  Maybe telling a bad joke doesn't equate to being assaulted, but it certainly doesn't come without consequences, and, so far, Chris Rock has faced no consequences for it.  This isn't just someone telling a fucking dud of a joke, it's someone making fun of a physical affliction.  Do you think it's just a bad joke is someone makes a joke about Michael J Fox's Parkinsons?

2 minutes ago, DragonSinger said:

It's relevant because skin color has been a factor in a lot of the responses to this situation. Again, I'm not denying his experiences or his background(now that I've seen he's finally been specific about it), but I doubt his opinons were only influenced by being a comic.

Clearly, his opinions were also influenced by general ignorance.

• Haha 1

Here's the last thing I'll say (for real this time lol)

If you don't like a joke you can leave the show, rip the dude on social media, complain to the club owner etc. 

Don't assault people cause you didn't like a joke. You could end up in jail, beat tf up, or even shot. My only goal in this debacle was trying to discourage the four people that come here from thinking its acceptable to come to a comedy show with the mindset of committing physical violence over a joke. Simple. I didn't set out to hurt anyone's feelings or disparage their race. Also, as a new member of the white race I'd also like to take this opportunity to apologize for existing ha.

But fr that's it. It was a bad joke. Will Smith didn't face consequences. Normal people will. 

Love,

King Dick

3 minutes ago, That_One_Guy said:

Here's the last thing I'll say (for real this time lol)

If you don't like a joke you can leave the show, rip the dude on social media, complain to the club owner etc. 

Don't assault people cause you didn't like a joke. You could end up in jail, beat tf up, or even shot. My only goal in this debacle was trying to discourage the four people that come here from thinking its acceptable to come to a comedy show with the mindset of committing physical violence over a joke. Simple. I didn't set out to hurt anyone's feelings or disparage their race. Also, as a new member of the white race I'd also like to take this opportunity to apologize for existing ha.

But fr that's it. It was a bad joke. Will Smith didn't face consequences. Normal people will. 

Love,

King Dick

Will Smith absolutely faced consequences.  And all that's fine if you're going to comedy show, not the Academy Awards.  He wasn't on stage for a comedy  set, he was on stage to present an award.  He contributed to that moment being ruined by making the joke in the first place and he exposed a whole lot of people not just in attendance but watching on TV to a joke they were not there to hear.

Edit:  Also, you don't get to kill this debate just because you're not willing to budge on your point.

Edited by scoobdog

1 hour ago, Vamped said:

Weeelllp I think we saw what happened to that one guy with the intent of committing physical violence at the Chapelle comedy show. 

As much as I can't stand Chappelle, he does actually have real friends who will stomp you out with the quickness. Friends whom everyone knows are fit as fuck and can fight, so dude had to be messed up in the head to try it.

• Like 1