UnevenEdge

The Popeyes chicken sandwich is so good

That_One_Guy

Why isn't Popeye, the cartoon character, the mascot for Popeye's, the restaurant?

I can't imagine it would be expensive to get the rights for that character. 

I suppose it would be too obvious. 

You can't do the obvious thing, by god. The world might start making sense. 

55 minutes ago, Mix said:

Why isn't Popeye, the cartoon character, the mascot for Popeye's, the restaurant?

The cartoon Popeye's thing was eating spinach.  There are other Popeyes, both real & fictional.  Don "Popeye" Zimmer &  "Popeye" Doyle for example.

9 hours ago, Mix said:

It's always just been Popeyes but I do remember a long time ago Popeye The Sailor actually was on some of the window signs.

4 hours ago, bnmjy said:

Konbinis in Japan, lol

There's probably some small Asian restaurant in Oakland that sells it.

TOT in Little Tokyo does the best Katsu I’ve ever had, but it wasn’t in sandwich form.  Hawaiian BBQ places usually make it too soggy for me.

15 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

TOT in Little Tokyo does the best Katsu I’ve ever had, but it wasn’t in sandwich form.  Hawaiian BBQ places usually make it too soggy for me.

I should mention I meant the Oakland neighborhood in Pittsburgh, not the city in California. The entirety of California has a wide variety of Asian food options. Can't say the same for here.

Katsu sandwiches will eventualy catch on, I feel. Kewpie mayo is currently trending, and kind of annoying because now it's hard to find in stores with the supply chain issue.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, That_One_Guy said:

Where is it

7 hours ago, bnmjy said:

Konbinis in Japan, lol

There's probably some small Asian restaurant in Oakland that sells it.

I searched chicken katsu sandwich to see what it is and google gave me Jimmy Johns as a suggestion. lol

Sounds like it would be easy to make to I'd to want to try out somewhere before I try making it myself.

9 minutes ago, Ric said:

I searched chicken katsu sandwich to see what it is and google gave me Jimmy Johns as a suggestion. lol

Sounds like it would be easy to make to I'd to want to try out somewhere before I try making it myself.

It's currently kind of a niche thing in America. Like scoob was mentioning, it's easier to just find regular katsu (fried meat in panko crumbs) at restaurants. Maybe try that, see if you like it, then try making the katsu sandwich yourself. All the ingredients for katsu can be bought at Walmart. The bread is the most important thing. It's shokupan, and hard to get. Fortunately, the French brioche sliced bread from Trader Joe's is a close enough alternative. Kewpie mayo has been trending because of tiktok lately, so it may be hard to get unless you don't mind a bit of online price gouging. The mayo can be replaced with other sauces, but I highly recommend this specific one. And then you just top the sandwich with shredded raw cabbage, although you can replace it with lettuce if you desire.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Mix said:

Doesn't Disney own Popeye? 

38 minutes ago, Poof said:

The bread ruins it. Chicken must be free to roam

Nothing ruins a nice crispy chicken breast than a soggy bun... except for bun that is so toasted it both refuses to take any moisture and scratches your throat to prove it.

Edited by scoobdog

4 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Nothing ruins a nice crispy chicken breast than a soggy bun... except for bun that is so toasted it both refuses to take any moisture and scratches your throat to prove it.

Nope bread always takes away from the experience when it’s chicken

• Like 1

i genuinely do not get the absurd hype over these basic-ass chicken sandwiches. Like, a nice grilled chicken club with cheese and BLT? Sure, that's doing something. But just slapping the chicken between two slices of bread with some token pickles? That's just lame.