UnevenEdge

Investing in stock

Distinct Lunatic

A buddy of mine has that one app Stash on his phone, where you can invest in stock and so on. I'm not sure how long he's been invested in that stuff but he has been able to profit a couple hundred bucks during that time.

I installed the app and was looking around on it a bit, I do think it's something I want to try out a bit, but the problem is I'm not entirely sure what'd be a good idea to invest in. Amazon, Apple, and Tesla seem like the major ones to invest in but the cost of stock for those three is between $500 and $3400. So that's an obvious no go.

For the record I'm not expecting to make major bank from this, that's the kind of thing that'd only work if you have a large amount to invest, and can buy large amounts of shares instead of only a couple. But if I am gonna give this a try I'd like to get something substantial back so that it's not just a money sink.

Do like the senators did and invest in virtual education programs. 

Tesla will tank before too long. Have you seen their cars? Expensive garbage. In my opinion. 

Anything affected by the pandemic, stay away from right now.

You can always invest in pork bellies. 

13 minutes ago, resurrected said:

Tesla will tank before too long. Have you seen their cars? Expensive garbage. In my opinion. 

I feel like the best strategy is to keep an eye out for any upcoming businesses from silicon valley. To get in there while the stock is so cheap.

51 minutes ago, resurrected said:

I think tesla will fall too. Elon Musk is not tony stark and there will be competition in the luxury/sleek EV market soon enough

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Distinct Lunatic said:

I think Tesla will still succeed as a company but I don't see their stock prices staying that big. Once the hype dies I see it dropping below $1000

It's about to do a 5 for 1 split, so at $2200 right now it would be at $440 after the split. I get what you mean tho, dropping over 50%.

44 minutes ago, Distinct Lunatic said:

Know the name of those companies?

Beyond Meat is one of them, they're the ones with product in Carl's Jr and Del Taco. Impossible Foods is another, Burger King offers an impossible burger with their meat alternative. I don't think they're public yet, but it might be good to keep an eye out in case they decide to go public anytime soon. The others are regular beef companies that are getting into the plant based meat thing too because of their popularity. So maybe look up Tyson and Kellogg too. 

edit. I found this website if you want to browse through https://vegfaqs.com/vegan-companies-to-invest-in/#:~:text=Unfortunately%2C there's no Gardein stock,some vegan%2C some not).

Edited by new_disease

3 hours ago, Poof said:

I think tesla will fall too. Elon Musk is not tony stark and there will be competition in the luxury/sleek EV market soon enough

That's exactly what I think too. Musk is just too "look at me and what I'm spending my riches on." 

It's almost like he's just a big kid, playing. 

I was pulling for him to start with, but he just got too ridiculous in my opinion. 

Investing in him is risky, because he could just get bored all of a sudden, and move on to something else, dropping everything he has been doing in the process. Tanking his stock in the process. 

11 minutes ago, Seight said:

Buy Sears.

Literally, you could probably buy...all of Sears at this point.

If you intend to to buy "old Sears", maybe.  If you're thinking about buying "new Sears" (Transformco), you better bring a lot of green, especially when the owner has this to tool around in - 

image.png.a616c7b41cedb5ae292acb5420e73577.png

3 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

i'd be weary of stocks. especially in super volatile times like these. if i had money to invest in it would be probably spread out in gold, crypto. or even magic cards. not that you cant make anything from stocks but you should probably understand whats going on in global economic news first. 

crypto is more volatile

• Like 1

Taco says, "Disney is up a bit. It might go up more, but you won't make a lot.  Exxon Mobil, or Shell Oil, you'll double or triple your money in 2-3 years.  Airlines are trading low, but risky since it's iffy as to which will survive.  American is a decent choice.  Southwest is a better bet, but less money to be made.  Oil is the clear winner, with the others being more risky by far."

That's paraphrased.  He said a lot more that didn't matter.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, jezebelthenun said:

Taco says, "Disney is up a bit. It might go up more, but you won't make a lot.  Exxon Mobil, or Shell Oil, you'll double or triple your money in 2-3 years.  Airlines are trading low, but risky since it's iffy as to which will survive.  American is a decent choice.  Southwest is a better bet, but less money to be made.  Oil is the clear winner, with the others being more risky by far."

Only the dinky contract airlines are going out of business. The major airlines are safe

• Thanks 1

Didn't oil companies drop real hard at the cusp of disbelief and toilet paper hoarding.....I was thinking of getting in on that but I'm chicken shit about my money and didn't do it.

It's one of the reason I wish financial literacy and wealth building was bigger in the black community. All I know is saving, and no ne ever got rich just handcuffing their coins.....But bigger than that, I'm trying to invest in myself because i only trust me.  But due to the current climate, I'm glad I didn't jump into the medical Mary game, or restaurant biz this year....Because that was the plan, but it seems my inner dragon paid off this time.

Edited by Radical Left
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, jezebelthenun said:

I chose to do $10 every two weeks for Exxon Mobil. It does make sense to me to invest in these oil companies cause once the Rona eventually passes and people are driving more and the demand goes up more it'd make sense for the stock value for those companies to go back up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jezebelthenun said:

Oil Companies are a tough call.  Chevron, for example, left a mess in Ecuador, lost a lawsuit for billions and has been dragging out the thing in courts for years.  Meanwhile, one of their subsidiaries is "EGO Power", creating lawnmowers, snowblowers & various yard tools that run off the same interchangeable batteries.  You can even use the batteries to keep some stuff running during power outages.  I'd love for Chevron to spin EGO off.  I can't support the parent co., but I want to support EGO. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Radical Left said:

Didn't oil companies drop real hard at the cusp of disbelief and toilet paper hoarding.....I was thinking of getting in on that but I'm chicken shit about my money and didn't do it.

It's one of the reason I wish financial literacy and wealth building was bigger in the black community. All I know is saving, and no ne ever got rich just handcuffing their coins.....But bigger than that, I'm trying to invest in myself because i only trust me.  But due to the current climate, I'm glad I didn't jump into the medical Mary game, or restaurant biz this year....Because that was the plan, but it seems my inner dragon paid off this time.

Same. It would have been so nice to have been taught this stuff, and I'm only just now learning about stocks in my free time. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DragonSinger said:

Same. It would have been so nice to have been taught this stuff, and I'm only just now learning about stocks in my free time. 

All I was taught was saving and having a side hustle, but passive income from investments is where it's at.

On 8/28/2020 at 10:26 PM, Distortedreasoning said:

i'd be weary of stocks. especially in super volatile times like these. if i had money to invest in it would be probably spread out in gold, crypto. or even magic cards. not that you cant make anything from stocks but you should probably understand whats going on in global economic news first. 

Any chase mythics out of 2XM are probably good pickups for the next week or so. Also full arts.

You are better off investing in the S&P 500 or Russel 2k if you are just kind of side hustling. SPDR funds are a good option since they are sector wide as opposed to individual stocks.

Anything serious, get a fiduciary and have them do the investing, and make sure they have at least 25 mil in assets under management.

One other thing, if you are serious about the market wait until after the election. If Trump wins, DJIA hits 30k by New Years, if Biden wins it his 20k. Just sayin'.

• D'oh 1

7 hours ago, ITasteLikeSex said:

Any chase mythics out of 2XM are probably good pickups for the next week or so. Also full arts.

i havent really kept up with 2xm but if i were to buy any singles as an investment it would be any of the alternate rt stuff that are played in multiple formats like modern or edh. the tron lands with the karn seem good. modern and edh have historically gone up a ton. especially edh. 2xm is such a gamblers set tho. hard to recommend, you might be better off getting sealed product. 

36 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

i havent really kept up with 2xm but if i were to buy any singles as an investment it would be any of the alternate rt stuff that are played in multiple formats like modern or edh. the tron lands with the karn seem good. modern and edh have historically gone up a ton. especially edh. 2xm is such a gamblers set tho. hard to recommend, you might be better off getting sealed product. 

Ive never heard of any of these stonks

I bought tesla today to kill it. I figured it's the only way. I was mad that it went up another 10% in the first 3 hours of trading today. Mad that it could keep going up after becoming so divorced from reality just bc everyone thinks he's tony stark. I said to myself I wish I had the money to short / put it but I don't. Then I realized. Since I'm not allowed to make real gains in the market, if I buy it, it'll just stop or go down. The biggest rally in history would stop if only I bought into it.

And I'm already down 1%

Muahahahaha take that elon musk you're no match for me! I wanted to kick him in the balls so bad and now I've done it. I can't believe I didn't think of this before. I spent about an hour one day trying to find a bear/short fund that had tesla to be able to show my distaste for musk but all this time the answer was so simple. Buy it. Since God hates you, it will stop. It was a eureka moment clearer than air itself.

Just watch. It won't go above $500 now. Poof did that.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Distortedreasoning said:

I'm gonna pull the trigger on foil full art tron lands this week since they're like 35/ea and non foils are 30ish.

4 hours ago, Poof said:

I told u this was the end bc I bought it. But Elon Musk has foiled me againe!! He waited until I joined in then he took all me money!!!

I'll get you next time Musk! Next time!!!!!

this is playful but it is some bullshit and exactly what i was talking about god hates me

12 hours ago, ITasteLikeSex said:

FETCHLANDS CONFIRMED FOR ZENDIKAR BOX TOPPERS AND IN MH2 PACKS

too bad they wont be legal in standard. the set is looking pretty good from what has been previewed. sets with fetches usually perform well historically so it might be a good set to invest in. again i have to say im no financial adviser lol. im just a guy thats been playing the game for a long time now and have seen card prices go up. 

I put $50 in Boeing and am doing $10 biweek in that one. $50 in Amazon and $20 biweekly. $40 in Nvidia and $10 biweekly. $40 in NextEra Energy $10 biweekly. $40 in Schlumberger (an energy company) with $10 biweekly.

Boeing is currently in a decline cause the rona at around $150~, but before the rona it's always been well over $350. The covid bs is the only reason I have a decent enough idea on what to invest in. Whenever covid eventually passes and travel bans are lifted I see that stock shooting way back up, so I might be able to make a couple hundreds from that one. Amazon is a stock I see only getting more valuable as time goes by, online shopping increasing while going to physical stores like even Walmart I see declining. Nvidia I invested in cause of the new graphics card reveal making them more valuable. NextEra Energy is apparently the leading figure in green energy, that being something I'd imagine will get more valuable. Schlumberger and one other energy company I invested in were also impacted by the rona, I might be able to make a hundred or so bucks from them after things go back to normal.