UnevenEdge

Investing in stock

Distinct Lunatic

1 hour ago, Distinct Lunatic said:

I put $50 in Boeing and am doing $10 biweek in that one. $50 in Amazon and $20 biweekly. $40 in Nvidia and $10 biweekly. $40 in NextEra Energy $10 biweekly. $40 in Schlumberger (an energy company) with $10 biweekly.

Boeing is currently in a decline cause the rona at around $150~, but before the rona it's always been well over $350. The covid bs is the only reason I have a decent enough idea on what to invest in. Whenever covid eventually passes and travel bans are lifted I see that stock shooting way back up, so I might be able to make a couple hundreds from that one. Amazon is a stock I see only getting more valuable as time goes by, online shopping increasing while going to physical stores like even Walmart I see declining. Nvidia I invested in cause of the new graphics card reveal making them more valuable. NextEra Energy is apparently the leading figure in green energy, that being something I'd imagine will get more valuable. Schlumberger and one other energy company I invested in were also impacted by the rona, I might be able to make a hundred or so bucks from them after things go back to normal.

airlines are the only thing I didn't turn into a short position for the correction today. except spirit bc FUCK spirit. I probably should have tho since they were somewhat affected but they had a bump early on which made me wonder

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 12:30 PM, Poof said:

I bought tesla today to kill it. I figured it's the only way. I was mad that it went up another 10% in the first 3 hours of trading today. Mad that it could keep going up after becoming so divorced from reality just bc everyone thinks he's tony stark. I said to myself I wish I had the money to short / put it but I don't. Then I realized. Since I'm not allowed to make real gains in the market, if I buy it, it'll just stop or go down. The biggest rally in history would stop if only I bought into it.

And I'm already down 1%

Muahahahaha take that elon musk you're no match for me! I wanted to kick him in the balls so bad and now I've done it. I can't believe I didn't think of this before. I spent about an hour one day trying to find a bear/short fund that had tesla to be able to show my distaste for musk but all this time the answer was so simple. Buy it. Since God hates you, it will stop. It was a eureka moment clearer than air itself.

Just watch. It won't go above $500 now. Poof did that.

I make myself feel better by buying puts against Tesla in my fake money account. It's nice knowing if I had real money, I would have timed it right and gotten a nice profit. That one put cost like 4 grand too.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DragonSinger said:

I make myself feel better by buying puts against Tesla in my fake money account. It's nice knowing if I had real money, I would have timed it right and gotten a nice profit. That one put cost like 4 grand too.

well I backed out as soon as I heard about the 5 billion elon was taking out of it

I didn't go in on SQQQ specifically to short tesla. I just did it as part of reversing the correction today. But technically it gives me a very small exposure to shorting tesla. Also an even smaller exposure to shorting paypal another company that REEKS of MUSK. So that makes me extra happy

Tesla is going to drop more tho I'm sure of it.

That one tesla exec bitch just exercised her option and made $5 million. It was either expiring or she knew this was the top. I'm inclined to think the latter. I think thats why they did the 5 billion offering too.

With all that in mind, it's september, the holidays are coming up. Over the last 4 days tesla has fallen over $100. The last time it had dropped like this was feb 18th to march 18th, the pandemic drop. So if all that doesn't cause a sell off, then it's definitely a cult.

There is an an ETF on the london stock exchange GraniteShares 3X Short Tesla Daily ETF. They opened it in London bc no exchange in the US would let them open an ETF devoted to shorting a single stock. I put off getting access to the london exchange but I'm looking into ways to do that. Interactivebrokers.com apparently is an easy way

It's at $385 now. Falling even after hours just over the course of writing this post.

• Like 1

@Distinct Lunatic you may want to watch out putting more money in right now. My short position is killing it, and if this continues after the labor day weekend, it probably means the bursting of the tech and tesla bubbles.

You could try buying some short/bear/inverse etfs which is what I've got rn. If this is the end of the tech/tesla rally then theres still a lot to be made from shorting. But be careful, it was a really risky move on my part, and you'll have to time the bottom of the drop and sell to make the most money. You seem to be smart about risk and averaging your investments since you're not putting everything in on one day. But still, read about short etfs first before you put too much in if you decide to try and profit from a crash like I'm doing. If the market goes back up, you will lose big time if you don't pull out really quick.

If you don't want to do short etfs, then I would focus on non-tech established companies that are strong fundamental businesses that will be able to weather the tech drop. This could be more of a rotation than a market crash. Meaning ppl leave tech but don't leave the market, they reinvest in non-tech companies.

Or alternatively you could just use the drop as a chance to pick up big tech companies for really cheap.

And one company that could be good for a long position over a few years is westwater resources. They have the only graphite mine in the US. Graphite being 30% of a battery's weight, more than lithium. They're expanding into lithium as well. In the past they were all about uranium. Also the department of defense has added graphite as a critical resource which means they will buy it from US companies whenever they get a chance. And currently most of our graphite comes from china. If there is a trade war, domestic graphite could be in high demand. Elon says he likes to buy from US companies whenever possible too, but I don't think he can really be trusted.. It's trading lower and likely to if telsa drops, so you could get it cheap during this drop. It's also really cheap to begin with, before this correction, it was hovering around $2.00. Now it's at $1.73. They're in early development stages on their graphite so may have to wait a long time before seeing gains.

Anyway that's my scoop. Disclaimer I'm usually a shitty investor. What I'm doing could easily blow up in my face. But westwater seems like a responsible buy right now.

Edited by Poof
  • Like 2

Interactivebrokers.com has turned out to be a good way to get london exchange access with no minimum balance. I should've done it a long time ago since I have to wait 2 business days for my bank to confirm my account with them. I'm a dummy. Could've been shorting the muskrat these few days

• Like 1

I've invested all of like 3 dollars in stock at this point...Oh wait I think I just did like a dollar or two and an app gave me a free stock that.. Let's just say it AINT exactly my favorite area of marketing (oil industry) that shit is jumping around like a cypress hill song from back in the day, but it was free. If it does good should I feel bad? I hate stock exchanges personally even with everything I've done to understand them. 

Edited by PhilosipherStoned

15 hours ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

I've invested all of like 3 dollars in stock at this point...Oh wait I think I just did like a dollar or two and an app gave me a free stock that.. Let's just say it AINT exactly my favorite area of marketing (oil industry) that shit is jumping around like a cypress hill song from back in the day, but it was free. If it does good should I feel bad? I hate stock exchanges personally even with everything I've done to understand them. 

That's how I got started kinda. Small amounts just to see if I could increase it. And way back in the day I used to like doing hollywood stock exchange where it's upcoming movies and actors instead of companies.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 1:01 PM, Distinct Lunatic said:

A buddy of mine has that one app Stash on his phone, where you can invest in stock and so on. I'm not sure how long he's been invested in that stuff but he has been able to profit a couple hundred bucks during that time.

I installed the app and was looking around on it a bit, I do think it's something I want to try out a bit, but the problem is I'm not entirely sure what'd be a good idea to invest in. Amazon, Apple, and Tesla seem like the major ones to invest in but the cost of stock for those three is between $500 and $3400. So that's an obvious no go.

For the record I'm not expecting to make major bank from this, that's the kind of thing that'd only work if you have a large amount to invest, and can buy large amounts of shares instead of only a couple. But if I am gonna give this a try I'd like to get something substantial back so that it's not just a money sink.

If you want to invest in Apple, Amazon, Tesla, Pets.com, etc. but don't have the money for a whole share you can get a Robinhood account and buy fractional shares.  They let you buy a sliver of a share for as low as $1. 

If you don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject or just don't want to have to study to predict what's coming then buying ETFs for sectors, indicies, or broad markets might be the better way to go.  Since they are the equity from different companies bundled into one instrument they allow you to diversify automatically.

I didn't know Stash let you go as low as a penny.  They're being kind of literal.

Edited by YeWhoEnter
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 9:08 PM, Distinct Lunatic said:

For both me and my sis our grandparents bought us bonds very very early in our lives.

I was 19 when I got my first job and a driver's license, I was able to use my bonds then to get my first car.

Nice to have grandparents who thought ahead. 

My goal is to ensure he has a house by the time he is an self sufficient adult.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2020 at 5:46 PM, Poof said:

I'm comin for u elon

So I watched the tesla battery day live stream yesterday. And was worried bc I actually thought the things tesla was pulling off sounded really good. Elon looked not well. Some say he's afraid after what happened to the Nikola CEO guy after he was outed as a fraud. Esp since elon has a tendency to make bold promises on timelines which he rarely keeps. I don't think elon has to be worried, but it did seem like he wasn't going hard w/his usual tony stark showboat style. In fact the evening before the event, he tweeted out that the battery day breakthroughs wouldn't be fully implemented into production until 2022. That made the stock drop. Very un-Musk thing of him to do.

I think I understand the cybertruck and ATV looking like something from a cold future scifi movie now. It's not an advertising ploy. See at first ppl thought it was a prank or just a concept version and the real cybertruck would look more normal. But I don't think so anymore. I think he's in an edgy phase. The graphics, tshirts, and overall style of the livestream felt like it was inspired by nine inch nails. It was all black, gray, and weird.

I always associated tesla w/bright colors, the sun, and california. Just a sleek but conventional looking electric car w/good performance. Strong fundamentals. This new style doesn't seem right for tesla.

I blame Grimez for this. That bitch loves skinny puppy. Her edginess must be rubbing off on him.

After the battery day pump it fell again bc I guess ppl were dissatisfied. It wasn't a very flashy event. I think a lot of ppl don't get the science and manufacturing breakthroughs. Elon kept repeating "and this was very hard to do" like he knew it wasn't flashy but it is important. Now tesla is at $373. Who knows what comes next. 3STS is a 3x leveraged ETN so I could lose it all if I'm wrong. But if I'm right... well then I'm coming for that ass elon

Battery day was a success for me in that it pumped the stock allowing me to buy addition shares of 3STS to short tesla at various prices throughout a range of $450-400. My first buy of 3STS I only got in at $390 before it started falling hard. Still, even tho I don't like him, and it turned out good for my short position, I still feel dissatisfied over how I felt my position was threatened by his accomplishments and yet the world didn't like it. At these extreme valuations, I guess all that matters is if ppl like it or not.

Or maybe he's just such a genius that he knew it'd be better to not make waves right now or else end up like the Nikola guy. Maybe my short position will be obliterated soon when the Tesla optimism comes back even stronger next week once this battery day is in the rearview mirror.

Or maybe he really is not well and in the midst of some kind of crisis. He looks alil fatter too

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2020 at 11:07 AM, Poof said:

And one company that could be good for a long position over a few years is westwater resources. They have the only graphite mine in the US. Graphite being 30% of a battery's weight, more than lithium. They're expanding into lithium as well. In the past they were all about uranium. Also the department of defense has added graphite as a critical resource which means they will buy it from US companies whenever they get a chance. And currently most of our graphite comes from china. If there is a trade war, domestic graphite could be in high demand. Elon says he likes to buy from US companies whenever possible too, but I don't think he can really be trusted.. It's trading lower and likely to if telsa drops, so you could get it cheap during this drop. It's also really cheap to begin with, before this correction, it was hovering around $2.00. Now it's at $1.73. They're in early development stages on their graphite so may have to wait a long time before seeing gains.

Westwater Resources closed at $4.08 for the week w/a high of $4.65. A 135% return had anyone taken my advice when I posted this. Too bad I didn't take my own advice since I thought it wouldn't move yet I didn't bother buying any :/

Edited by Poof
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Poof said:

Westwater Resources closed at $4.08 for the week w/a high of $4.65. A 135% return had anyone taken my advice when I posted this. Too bad I didn't take my own advice since I thought it wouldn't move yet I didn't bother buying any :/

Love you...but you're so bad at this

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sawdamizer said:

We would have been living like kings if we had been in our 20s and 30s in the 80s and 90s...

I wouldn't even be thinking about investing in the 90s since I could make like $5000 off a scene instead of $500. I'd probably be dead

• Like 1

Just now, Poof said:

I wouldn't even be thinking about investing in the 90s since I could make like $5000 off a scene instead of $500. I'd probably be dead

I didnt mention we would have made it to our 40s for a reason.

Jordan Belfort would have just been the G rated story of Sawdy

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sawdamizer said:

I didnt mention we would have made it to our 40s for a reason.

Jordan Belfort would have just been the G rated story of Sawdy

too bad we're stuck approaching our 40s in the crappy 2020s

• Sad 1

On 10/3/2020 at 4:48 AM, Poof said:

Now it's at $14.28

Still haven't bought it

I figured the damage was done and the news was priced in. If I went chasing it, it would start to drop and find its new average. It keeps going up and laughing at me.

I'd have my boobs now if I only put 10% of my portfolio into it when I wrote about it being a good investment.

I still think if I buy it now what I said will happen. I just know it bc God hates me.

• 2 weeks later...

I had carnival cruise UK option expiring today. I sold it and took a 230% return on $167 which is nice, for once... but it couldve been 480% if not for this:

Carnival Corporation’s AIDA Cruises to Restart Cruise Operations This Saturday

Which is the dumbest thing in the world. I was going to sell around noon, and this shit had to come out at 11:30 and fuck me in the ass.

On the cusp of the 2nd wave of the rona, sure why not, let's go stay in a floating hotel. I hope they all die.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Poof said:

I had carnival cruise UK option expiring today. I sold it and took a 230% return on $167 which is nice, for once... but it couldve been 480% if not for this:

Carnival Corporation’s AIDA Cruises to Restart Cruise Operations This Saturday

Which is the dumbest thing in the world. I was going to sell around noon, and this shit had to come out at 11:30 and fuck me in the ass.

On the cusp of the 2nd wave of the rona, sure why not, let's go stay in a floating hotel. I hope they all die.

Yoof

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sawdamizer said:

Fuuuuuuccckkkk.

If I had half a brain in march... dunkin fucking donuts....doubled in price and now bought for 9bn

i got mad bc I got a green egg at a dunkin donuts in boston and threw my coffee on the ground so I feel u

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, resurrected said:

Unless this thread got split, I don't see any cancer jokes in this stock thread. 

I def said that or lupus. I just felt he never cared about how anyone else felt about literally anything so I was going to be as blunt as he was for a moment. I had been trying not to engage him but much like w/the green egg, I lost control. It was only one post so I think they just removed it. He didn't respond to it and he never brought it up until the ghostbusters thread

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Poof said:

I def said that or lupus. I just felt he never cared about how anyone else felt about literally anything so I was going to be as blunt as he was for a moment. I had been trying not to engage him but much like w/the green egg, I lost control. It was only one post so I think they just removed it. He didn't respond to it and he never brought it up until the ghostbusters thread

Ok. By the way he was talking, you and everyone with a heartbeat was all over him about cancer, and it went on and on in the stocks thread. 

I figured there was nothing to it. If he had a problem though, he should have addressed it then and there, and not derail someone's thread about a movie. 

This thread isn't even new. But like I told him yesterday, bruh, you're bringing up shit from April. If someone held a gun to my head and told me to quote something from April, either from here or from real life, I'd be dead. Dude holds on to shit too long. 

And I missed the green egg thing. Doesn't sound appealing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, resurrected said:

And I missed the green egg thing. Doesn't sound appealing. 

1 hour ago, Poof said:

i got mad bc I got a green egg at a dunkin donuts in boston and threw my coffee on the ground so I feel u

• Haha 1

On 8/28/2020 at 5:35 PM, new_disease said:

Beyond Meat is one of them, they're the ones with product in Carl's Jr and Del Taco. Impossible Foods is another, Burger King offers an impossible burger with their meat alternative. I don't think they're public yet, but it might be good to keep an eye out in case they decide to go public anytime soon. The others are regular beef companies that are getting into the plant based meat thing too because of their popularity. So maybe look up Tyson and Kellogg too. 

edit. I found this website if you want to browse through https://vegfaqs.com/vegan-companies-to-invest-in/#:~:text=Unfortunately%2C there's no Gardein stock,some vegan%2C some not).

Companies like Cargill and Tyson are beginning to invest in cultured meat companies. Cultured meat is developing at a fast rate. About a decade ago one burger made by the process cost $250K. The same burger now is less than $13. They're also at the point where it's almost no different than regular meat.

You may hear a bunch of naysayers now, and western countries will probably be among the last to accept it, but once mass production is put in place, you'll find it surge in densely populated countries that have high demand for meat, like China. When you start hearing rumblings that Tyson or Cargill is about to roll something cultured out, I'd say it'd be a good time to look at buy some stock from them. It isn't going to be an overnight sensation, probably, but it will be one of those things that grows, grows and grows over time as it takes a chunk out of the always strong meat market.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 12:29 PM, Sawdamizer said:

If I had half a brain in march...

The real one all this time was Tupperware

March low = $1.40

Up 41% after earnings at $28.12 now

It seems so obvious in hindsight... ppl being thrifty and eating at home they gotta put leftovers in something

• Like 1

Just now, Poof said:

The real one all this time was Tupperware

March low = $1.40

Up 41% after earnings at $28.12 now

It seems so obvious in hindsight... ppl being thrifty and eating at home they gotta put leftovers in something

And everyone leaving their Tupperware at work when forced to work from home...

We are so stupid.

• Haha 1

On 10/27/2020 at 11:02 AM, ZoomBubba said:

Companies like Cargill and Tyson are beginning to invest in cultured meat companies. Cultured meat is developing at a fast rate. About a decade ago one burger made by the process cost $250K. The same burger now is less than $13. They're also at the point where it's almost no different than regular meat.

You may hear a bunch of naysayers now, and western countries will probably be among the last to accept it, but once mass production is put in place, you'll find it surge in densely populated countries that have high demand for meat, like China. When you start hearing rumblings that Tyson or Cargill is about to roll something cultured out, I'd say it'd be a good time to look at buy some stock from them. It isn't going to be an overnight sensation, probably, but it will be one of those things that grows, grows and grows over time as it takes a chunk out of the always strong meat market.

I'll eat it for sure but not super often at first bc I know it won't be quite as nutritious. Not for the technology but the articles you linked cited decreased cost for the nutrients to feed the culture as a major reduction. I'm thinking it'll be the same as with farmed fish where they use the cheapest nutrients available often synthetic since the end product looks the same. I stay away from farmed fish bc of that

Once it becomes really cost effective and mass produced, maybe a company will focus on the nutrient quality.

I'm really just being picky tho. $13 is pretty amazing. I thought it would take them longer to bring the price down for this stuff

2 hours ago, Poof said:

I'll eat it for sure but not super often at first bc I know it won't be quite as nutritious. Not for the technology but the articles you linked cited decreased cost for the nutrients to feed the culture as a major reduction. I'm thinking it'll be the same as with farmed fish where they use the cheapest nutrients available often synthetic since the end product looks the same. I stay away from farmed fish bc of that

Once it becomes really cost effective and mass produced, maybe a company will focus on the nutrient quality.

I'm really just being picky tho. $13 is pretty amazing. I thought it would take them longer to bring the price down for this stuff

I think one of the appeals that it is still developing. They may not have the nutrients now, but they'll get there.

Despite resistance, I think food technology and bio-engineering will win out over the Luddites. By 2030 I think we'll be in a designer food boom, which will include technology like food printing and the aforementioned cellular meat.

In the long run, it works out better for green-minded people as well. Less animals used for agriculture, the less land needed. This can open things up for re-wilding of areas or maybe a new landrush of people who are tired of the burbs that don't want to walk out their door every morning and see their neighbor's house.

1 hour ago, ZoomBubba said:

I think one of the appeals that it is still developing. They may not have the nutrients now, but they'll get there.

Despite resistance, I think food technology and bio-engineering will win out over the Luddites. By 2030 I think we'll be in a designer food boom, which will include technology like food printing and the aforementioned cellular meat.

In the long run, it works out better for green-minded people as well. Less animals used for agriculture, the less land needed. This can open things up for re-wilding of areas or maybe a new landrush of people who are tired of the burbs that don't want to walk out their door every morning and see their neighbor's house.

To my knowledge, there are no fish farms that don't use the cheapest ingredients to feed, so I doubt cultured meat will be any different. I'm gonna eat it esp if it's in fast food, but probably only in fast food. And I'm not saying it's not going to blow up. It's probably a good pick for the future. I'm just saying I'm not going to buy it for my bulk home cooking unless the nutrients are equivalent, and there's not any luddite reasoning behind that decision. I'm very particular about nutrition.