UnevenEdge

Assassination Classroom premiers 8/29

This will be lots of fun to watch on Toonami. It is a total of 47 episodes and thankfully adapts the manga all the way to the ending.

It's another JUMP shounen but thankfully it is not another Naruto clone like MHA and Black Clover.

Also good news, JoJo didn't get booted to the back, Fire Force reruns moved after Black Clover and for those who wanted it gone Ballmastrz didn't finish it's run on Toonami (personally I'm a little disappointed it didn't since there was only two 11 minute episodes left).

I definitely wish they could have brought this in a month or two ago but it's a welcome addition regardless.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I look forward to this. 

I've been interested in the manga for a bit but have put it off in the hopes it'll be re-released in omnibus forms [ my poor shelves :D ] . So I've only seen bits and pieces of the anime via AMVs and gifs with sound. This way I'll get to sit back and watch it while waiting to see if omnibus happens. 

• Like 1

I'm really bummed to see Ballmastrz leave before finishing its run, but Assassination Classroom has been long overdue imo. It was one of the first shows Funi did a SimulDub of and I think it would have suited the block. Plague 2020 has been a good excuse to go back to some stuff that got looked over or didn't get the Toonami treatment originally. 

• Like 3

Just now, Syon said:

I'm really bummed to see Ballmastrz leave before finishing its run, but Assassination Classroom has been long overdue imo. It was one of the first shows Funi did a SimulDub of and I think it would have suited the block. Plague 2020 has been a good excuse to go back to some stuff that got looked over or didn't get the Toonami treatment originally. 

Yeah. Would really have liked to see Ballmastrz finish, but I'm alright with Ass Class. Always meant to watch this show.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Syon said:

7 minutes ago, TheChuggernaut said:

Yeah. Would really have liked to see Ballmastrz finish, but I'm alright with Ass Class. Always meant to watch this show.

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO how've you guys been?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnimationFan14 said:

I started acting in a few of my director friend’s short films late last year and early this year. Also had interest in joining a podcast. 

I've gone from having nothing to show for myself & hosting a radio show at a college station, to having a pilot teleplay being delayed from shooting until the post-post-apocalypse because of 'Rona & hosting a completely different radio show at a college station.

• Like 2

It wasn't the worst show, but I never got into the hype for it. Story was meh. It felt like there were two entirely different things going on.  Everything with the principal and main school felt like it belonged in another anime. I was fine with the smiley face squid with butts for hands, but had trouble suspending my disbelief when they added in real assassins that get beaten by children and then are just very "we are what they grow beyond" about it. Threats are usually dealt with via the trump card of clapping in someones face. Pretty much a well known but still nani moment among all assassins that they have no counter for. "I mean it's startling, they almost touched my nose and the inner ear thing caused me to trip". The wet bandits in home alone put up more of a fight.  The morals were okay, felt too wholesome for me most of the time. I half expected them to say something stupid like "Maybe the real Assassination Classroom were the friends we made along the way".  Last is just the cast is forgettable. I can remember every character and side characters name in Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, FMA, Inuyasha, etc without needing to look it up. Name every character in this picture from memory. I'll be surprised if anyone can. Most of the class is very NPC. Not saying it's a bad show, just I didn't care for it, and the hype it had at the time was pretty much a flash in the pan that vanished after a year for good reason. 
179e246645e7b164088a13fd869d7c2b5329f8ac_hq.jpg

I admire it for what it's trying to do. I personally have a very storied fascination with the theme of education in fiction, because of how horrible our's has become in this country, and how the lack of it is the cause for most if not all of our problems. Hell, one of my earliest original characters I ever created was an educated talking animal. That said, AssClass isn't perfect. It falls victim to many of the usual problems you see in shonen anime, but the messages and lessons it teaches more than makes up for these issues.

.... it's been a few years since I saw it, so already I forget most of their names lol

It's not a bad show, but really not worth a rewatch imho. It's a one and done for me. I did say though that it's good that toonami is at least trying something different than their usual lineup. I don't what the takeaway for the series is aside from we need to start arming our students/joke.  It's kinda the zootopia of anime.  A overdone story in traditional media that is done slightly different then gets more praise than it really deserves. Like Zootopia was just a generic buddy cop flick. If you removed them being animated anthropomorphic animals then there's nothing new. Assclass is just stand and deliver and the two dozen knock offs that came after it, but with a squid for a teacher in the style of anime. 

Principal - These are problem kids they'll grow up to be nothing

Teacher - They just need the right teacher

Principal - Bah! 

Kids - We don't like authority! 

Teacher - (sits in chair backwards) 

Kids - Nani the fuck!? Hold on lets hear him out. I suddenly feel as if he is relatable.

Teacher - (teaches lesson in unorthodox manner)

Kids - I'm not dumb afterall, all I really needed was to apply myself. 

Principal - Most unorthodox! (tries to sabotage the teacher but the kids come together and prove that his teaching method works) 

Principal - I was wrong about You....About those kids; what do you say about coming back. 

Teacher - No they've learned all they can from me.  I'm needed elsewhere (run credits) 

And I'll be damned if Assclass doesn't hit every beat of the most generic school drama put to film since the 1980s. To it's credit it at least added in some anime tropes to the mix to make it somewhat different.  I think my enjoyment also hinders somewhat on the fact that I've watched a lot of film and anime. I run into that critics dilemma. When you watch too much media to the point you can see it repeating and stuff becomes generic that average audiences enjoy.  For me at least assclass was so by the books in what it was doing that it was like watching a Tom and Jerry episode. Some entertaining parts but very predictable and by the end I was forcing myself to finish. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

It wasn't the worst show, but I never got into the hype for it. Story was meh. It felt like there were two entirely different things going on.  Everything with the principal and main school felt like it belonged in another anime. I was fine with the smiley face squid with butts for hands, but had trouble suspending my disbelief when they added in real assassins that get beaten by children and then are just very "we are what they grow beyond" about it. Threats are usually dealt with via the trump card of clapping in someones face. Pretty much a well known but still nani moment among all assassins that they have no counter for. "I mean it's startling, they almost touched my nose and the inner ear thing caused me to trip". The wet bandits in home alone put up more of a fight.  The morals were okay, felt too wholesome for me most of the time. I half expected them to say something stupid like "Maybe the real Assassination Classroom were the friends we made along the way".  Last is just the cast is forgettable. I can remember every character and side characters name in Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, FMA, Inuyasha, etc without needing to look it up. Name every character in this picture from memory. I'll be surprised if anyone can. Most of the class is very NPC. Not saying it's a bad show, just I didn't care for it, and the hype it had at the time was pretty much a flash in the pan that vanished after a year for good reason. 
179e246645e7b164088a13fd869d7c2b5329f8ac_hq.jpg

You can't really say the hype has died down for a series that ended years ago. That's like saying the hype died down for Stein's Gate or Inuyasha.

S2 is ranked as top 100 on MAL in popularity and critical reception, most people here will like it. A few will be put off by the weird concept.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Daos said:

You can't really say the hype has died down for a series that ended years ago. That's like saying the hype died down for Stein's Gate or Inuyasha.

S2 is ranked as top 100 on MAL in popularity and critical reception, most people here will like it. A few will be put off by the weird concept.

The hype for this died down about as soon as it ended. It went from being on everyone's list of greatest anime of all time; to me not even hearing anyone give it a name drop for at least the last 3 years. It was flash in the pan knee jerk reactions. FMA ended we had like a decade of people still talking about it regularly. Evangelion and DBZ ended we have 25 years of people talking about it regularly etc. Also MAL are the ones who ranked Ping Pong the Animation as a better anime than One Piece or One Punch Man on their top 100 anime. Not to mention they removed Interspecies Reviewers that was chosen by the fans as the greatest anime of all time. I mean if we're going by mal scores being infallible then we can't ignore the masterpiece that won so hard they had to turn off voting for it. 

57 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I watched bits and pieces of this with subtitles with my anime club back in 2015 or 2016. Definitely looking forward to it!!

Cool hope you have fun watching it. Once was enough for me. 

On 8/20/2020 at 7:40 PM, Sketch said:

This will be lots of fun to watch on Toonami. It is a total of 47 episodes and thankfully adapts the manga all the way to the ending.

It's another JUMP shounen but thankfully it is not another Naruto clone like MHA and Black Clover.

Also good news, JoJo didn't get booted to the back, Fire Force reruns moved after Black Clover and for those who wanted it gone Ballmastrz didn't finish it's run on Toonami (personally I'm a little disappointed it didn't since there was only two 11 minute episodes left).

I definitely wish they could have brought this in a month or two ago but it's a welcome addition regardless.

Heh, I wasn't really watching it but they always seem to do that, get right to the end of a rerun then replace it just before it finishes lol.

Still, as usual, if that's all that was left it's a bit weird they didn't just wait one more week to add it lol.

Yeah, good to see Jojo didn't get moved since it's still new eps and Assassination Classroom got put in a good spot since Fire Force is currently a rerun and then I could see them swapping spots when Fire Force S2 premieres.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

I've gone from having nothing to show for myself & hosting a radio show at a college station, to having a pilot teleplay being delayed from shooting until the post-post-apocalypse because of 'Rona & hosting a completely different radio show at a college station.

Glad to hear about everything that’s been going well. I was set to act in a bigger role in an independent feature but filming was delayed by Rona. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 3:54 PM, EmpressAngel said:

Hey look, fresh content that won't have to pause for production delays! Now shut up.

I mean good...I know nothing about this how but it's about damn time they licensed SOMETHING that won't inevitably be delayed by Covid

• Like 1
  • Haha 1