UnevenEdge

Toonami Unevenedge Ratings Discussion 3.0: Let The Good Times Roll!!!!!

If you wanted to know how Toonami did last week, you're just gonna have to wait a while:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/saturday-11-12-sunday-11-13-ratings-delayed.html

In the meantime, we do have this...

https://www.spoilertv.com/2022/11/top-200-cable-reruns-week-ending-6th.html

My Hero Academia checked in at #69 in Cable Reruns for the week of 10/31-11/6 with 270K total viewers and a 0.143 in Adults 18-49. Not too shabby!!

Edited by OwlChemist81

Unfortunately, that momentum couldn't be sustained:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-11-12-2022-top-150-cable-originals-broadcast-delayed.html

"Adult Swim’s late-night programming (to the extent we have it) included YASHAMINE down 0.08 to 0.05, MADE IN ABYSS down 0.05 to 0.08, ONE PIECE down 0.07 to 0.05, and NARUTO down 0.04 to 0.05.  "

YEOWCH!! College Football and Midterm Election coverage, as well as the Food Network of all things, apparently combined forces to shut Toonami out of the Top 50, but at least Made In Abyss did pretty decent. But after that, the bottom fell out worse than Moroha's odds of beating Kirinmaru...

I don't think MHA will make the Top 200 Reruns this week, but depending on how far MIA fell afterward, it MIGHT. Stranger things have happened!

Edited by OwlChemist81

This was something I thought might happen. Last week, lots of fans turned out expecting the first episode of the latest season. After all, the block has promptly got the last 3 seasons, so why not this one? Saw lots of people who had convinced themselves that S5 was a typo on the schedule, and the only actual confirmation we got that it wasn’t was a single tweet from Demarco buried in a response chain. 

Even with that in mind though, based on those MiA numbers I have to say MHA probably still did a bit better than HCC. Another black eye for the originals. 

We should hopefully learn what our new midnight show is this week. 

• Thanks 1

More Ratings for November 5th:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2022/11/top-400-cable-shows-week-ending-6th.html

MiA charted for the WEEK (excluding sports and news) at #35. Now THAT'S impressive! As for November 12th:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2022/11/top-400-cable-shows-week-ending-13th.html?m=1

MiA fell to #120, while MHA missed the reruns chart.

First numbers from November 19th:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-11-19-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-11-19-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

MiA made it at #41, but the other 3 premieres were in the 80's. All managed to get >100K viewers, which is on a par with November 12th.

Edited by OwlChemist81

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been a while, folks, but it's finally here: MHA Season 6! Which of course means the lineup and each show's release month (in Japan except where otherwise noted) is as follows:

MHA - October 2022

Made in Abyss - July 2022

YashaHime - January 2022

One Piece - May 2013

Shippuden - July 2015

PRIMAL (USA, rerun) - August 2022

So as 2022 draws to a close, we've FINALLY got a Toonami lineup with 2/3 of its animation first seen THIS calendar year. Of course, the only time in Toonami's entire history that a lineup was completely from the calendar year in which it aired was 10/23/2021, which featured the Fena finale and both parts of the Direct-To-Video 2-part Batman epic Two-Face origin story The Long Halloween, which first appeared on HBO Max in June and July of 2021. Nothing like that is happening with the regular lineup as long as Shippuden and One Piece are on there though, so this is as close as we get without adding another 2022 show, which is highly unlikely!

But I digress. The question you came here to have answered is "how did the block do in the ratings?" Well, l have that info now...

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-12-3-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-12-3-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

So, MHA checked in at #14, which is the highest charting for a Toonami show since Assassination Classroom graduated from the block almost 6 months ago. Also, all 3 of the 2022 premieres made the Top 50, though with fewer than 200K total viewers.

Edited by OwlChemist81

True. However, one interesting twist is that all the biggest conference championship games aired on Network TV, which means Toonami's first half did relatively well with M 12-34 as denoted by the strong green tinge for those 0.09s. MHA even beat one of the afternoon football games in 18-49!

Edited by OwlChemist81

Any other week, numbers like that would barely get a show to crack the top 50. Really shows how down cable is if that’s enough to get #14. 

I think we will see MHA grow further in the coming weeks, as I’m sure many people didn’t even know it started S6 since it got basically zero promotion. Word of mouth should start to spread. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

They didn't even air a promo? Imagine if CR blocked them from advertising it.

Not necessarily realistic, but imagine.

adult swim would rather run commercials for boner pills than promote the anime they toiled to get

1 hour ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

They didn't even air a promo? Imagine if CR blocked them from advertising it.

Not necessarily realistic, but imagine.

Perhaps not explicitly not allowing it, but holding the deal up till the week it needed to go on the air could be viewed as an indirect way of limiting promotion. Can’t make a promo without the material, and we had just come off a holiday weekend. Even if they aired it, that was only 4 possible days of exposure. 

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

Not airing it on TV outright seems like a boneheaded decision, even with Crunchyroll's various rules and regulations. I bet you anything it aired at 3:30am on a Friday night once and only once and no one bothered to check since nobody watches DVR Theater anymore.

Aside from Housing Complex C, AS hasn’t been airing ANY of the Toonami promos outside of Toonami except the generic 12-3 one. Which at this point is omitting 2 shows entirely. Those weekly topicals for MiA/MHA they make every week? Never seen again after airing right after the prior episode. The only place they appear is on Facebook.

I have no idea why they can’t sacrifice even a single commercial slot across the span of 6 days to give those promos more exposure. It makes you wonder why they even make them at all if they aren’t being used.

4 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

1200x-1.jpg

I don’t think our boy Zaslav is the answer to this one. Promos outside of Toonami stopped when they started Yashahime S2. Since then, AS has walked back some controversial changes like speeding up intros and entire shows. There was even a brief internal rebellion phase where some madman was running super long bumpers EVERY break. 

AS has also been struggling to fill their ad time, so it’s not like they don’t have the room now and then. That one HIV medication that has active lawsuits for killing people won’t be any worse off if it airs one less time per night, and I doubt they are paying AS much for that time anyway. 

Not promoting the block at all furthers the concerns that it’s a bottom tier priority, on top of the simple fact it makes it perform worse, at least in regards to brand new content. MHA S6 was their biggest score of 2022, but it feels like half the audience doesn’t even know it happened. 

It seems they may be starting to get the message now...

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-12-10-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-12-10-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

The most remarkable thing about this past week's numbers might be that sizable female 12-34 audience. MHA tied the Hallmark original movie in that demographic, and it remained strong throughout the night. Moreover, it ALMOST cracked 300K last week, and MiA and YashaHime DID break 200K, unlike the week before!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

It seems they may be starting to get the message now...

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-12-10-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Reveal hidden contents

2022-12-10-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

The most remarkable thing about this past week's numbers might be that sizable female 12-34 audience. MHA tied the Hallmark original movie in that demographic, and it remained strong throughout the night. Moreover, it ALMOST cracked 300K last week, and MiA and YashaHime DID break 200K, unlike the week before!

Hell yea!

Hoping we can continue this trend through the winter. Gotta see what the replacements will be in the coming months.

• Like 1

Now that’s more like what I expect to see out of MHA premiers. Last week was no doubt the fault of poor promotion. If it can keep up this pace it’s entire run, the block will be solid up to about June. 

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

But I WILL concede that reinstating double OP at 1 AM once Yashahime ends wouldn't be a terrible plan!

IMO if they want to bring back double OP, ditch the rerun slot and move Naruto down to accommodate it. The block is not going to have many chances to get fresh content in 2023, Yashahime/MiA ending is one of those few times and I’d like to see them capitalize on it before we get weighed down by originals and sequels. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

The block is not going to have many chances to get fresh content in 2023, Yashahime/MiA ending is one of those few times and I’d like to see them capitalize on it before we get weighed down by originals and sequels. 

How many episodes of sequels and originals are there? Uzumaki is supposed to be 4 episodes, no? What about the FLCL sequels?

25 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

How many episodes of sequels and originals are there? Uzumaki is supposed to be 4 episodes, no? What about the FLCL sequels?

2 FLCL for sure at 6 episodes each. Ninja Kamui is also a possibility. So that’s at minimum, 3 and a half months out of the year to originals. MHA will be filling in its slot for 6 months. 

As for sequels, we are certain to get AoT, thats 3-4 months. Witch from Mercury is surely on their radar and probably an achievable goal. On the radar but more difficult to pull off, Bleach and Dr Stone. 

Unless they are willing to ditch the rerun slot and make it a premier slot, we are stuck with only 3 slots to play with. And even a short pickup would fill it for a quarter of the year. So if they want to bring something fresh to the table, they don’t have many opportunities to do so. 

Big-ass Ratings Report: first, week 2 of December all cable shows for the week:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2022/12/top-400-cable-shows-week-ending-11th.html?m=1

Next, MHA's last appearance on the chart in 2022:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-12-17-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2022-12-17-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Unfortunately, everything else made the Top 50 for the last time in 2022 LAST week, and MiA totally TANKED viewership at 12:30 but everything else gradually recovered slightly from there.

Peace out until 2023, ratings reports...

Edited by OwlChemist81

Ouch, that’s a huge dip for MHA coming off last week where it did really good. Hopefully in the new year we can see better from it more consistently. 

I think this also the first time we have seen Made in Abyss be a problem show. That was one of its more actiony episodes too, I wonder what turned people off of it. 

• 2 weeks later...

New year, same old $#!+:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-1-7-2023-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2023-1-7-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

That's pretty good for MHA and not too shabby for MiA, but the other 3 premieres fell hard to the 60's in rank, each getting a 0.06 in 18-49 and averaging 150K. Still, I suppose it's better than they did some weeks in 2022...

New year, same old $#!+:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-1-7-2023-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Reveal hidden contents

2023-1-7-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

That's pretty good for MHA and not too shabby for MiA, but the other 3 premieres fell hard to the 60's in rank, each getting a 0.06 in 18-49 and averaging 150K. Still, I suppose it's better than they did some weeks in 2022...

Best news here is it seems the MHA numbers from the 17th were hopefully just an end of the year hiccup and not the norm. 

Let’s hope Demarco has two winners lined up to take over for MiA and Yashahime, it would be a major help if we could eliminate those huge dives in viewership in the first 90 mins. 

Week 2 of 2023 ratings are out. Both MHA and MiA made the Top 50 again, dropping a few spots to #29 and #37 respectively, and both also dropped in almost every demographic markedly:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-1-14-2023-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2023-1-14-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

YashaHime just barely missed the list at #52, Shippuden's return to canon checked in at #59, and One Piece brought up the rear at #62. All 3 shows made a 0.06 in 18-49 again, but actually ROSE slightly in terms of total viewers. Spoiler TV will show us the thousandths digit later this week and we will see if they actually rose or fell slightly from last week.

Watching TV last night, reading all the Roiland drama and realizing just how much this block relies on Rick and Morty to keep the lights on, I have a simple question.

Was Demon Slayer not coming back the first sign of Toonami going downhill, or were their other symptoms?  I feel like we missed something when it had all the momentum in the world, and that momentum boosted everyone else.

2 hours ago, Jman said:

Watching TV last night, reading all the Roiland drama and realizing just how much this block relies on Rick and Morty to keep the lights on, I have a simple question.

Was Demon Slayer not coming back the first sign of Toonami going downhill, or were their other symptoms?  I feel like we missed something when it had all the momentum in the world, and that momentum boosted everyone else.

I think they missed an opportunity in 2016 to get in on a partnership with Funimation to air simuldubs. Demarco wanted to see if MHA “would stay popular” and that backfired on them. They instead went down the “heavily requested” route of HXH Gundam and Jojo and Funimation kind of got something going without them 

But  I’d say 2017-2018 was when things started to change. Simuldubs were taking off and these companies began to stop even considering Toonami has a place to premiere dubs. Now it was all good because they were still letting them air the shows a little later 

I think the whole thing really shifted with COVID. They were already on a cut budget due to the over spending in 2019 and not being able to pick things up gave the companies a chance to see they could do it without them. 

The complete blocking of shows we see now would be unheard of a few years ago 

I do hope their process isn’t just persuing these shows over and over again every time a slot opens up 

Edited by brianycpht

5 hours ago, Jman said:

I think we had a few warning signs before that. Probably the biggest was CR blocking Mob Psycho S2. A popular title, but not that popular, so why couldn’t the block have it? I believe that was our first warning sign that Crunchyroll was going to block EVERY show they own. 

Next major red flag was during Covid. 2020 started out with Toonami cutting a lot of slots, which they later tried to blame entirely on Covid despite most cuts happening prior to the lockdowns. Then we are mid lockdown and all our planned dub premiers go out the window. Toonami wasn’t able to tap anyone at all for cheap content to fill the time. Not a single ally in the industry came to our aid. We finally got half of AssClass, which between the long wait and the fact S2 took a year and a half to show up, was likely a full price pickup. That was when it was made very clear Toonami was no longer a player in the market at all. 

As for Demon Slayer, I believe that is something even peak era Toonami may have struggled with after the films blowout success. The fact that the block still can’t get it long after it’s relevance is telling, but I think even in the best times the block still would have had to have waited a year or so to air S2.

They were pretty okay even at their worst until 2020 when they were hit with a combination of getting their budget cut after overspending in 2019 and then Covid delayed several shows and made it difficult to spend what meager budget they did have. Despite that they looked rather healthy in early 2021 but it didn’t last and they had nothing left in the tank by late Fall. That lack of budget was probably also due to WarnerMedia’s instability leading up to the Discovery merger.

Crunchyroll didn’t want to work with them beyond partnering for originals (probably forced to by WarnerMedia) and Sony’s desire to own most of the industry only made that worse. FUNimation was one of their most reliable content providers until Sony bought them out and pretty much closed the doors once they also bought Crunchyroll. Sony wanted to keep it all to their own services but now that they’re willing to deal with Netflix for Demon Slayer and Toonami for MHA, perhaps they have realized they’ll make more money lending their shows than keeping them locked down. We can hope.

WBD is not giving Toonami the resources it needs to be able to thrive, just barely what is required to survive. I still believe all they need to do to thrive is put on a good block with appealing shows but they lost the battle of relevancy to the general public the moment DBS stopped airing premieres. Even dub premieres of MHA probably couldn’t fix that but slightly used episodes definitely can’t.

They can’t beat streaming, the most they can do is compliment it or provide a not terrible experience for people who still have cable and don’t subscribe to Crunchyroll or many other services. People like being able to tune in and be entertained a while and not have to search through dozens of options. But we are never going back to the point where there won’t be so many choices for entertainment.

• Like 1

Not bad, Toonami, not bad at all!! Toonami concludes January 2023 with solid ratings:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-1-28-2023-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Spoiler

2023-1-28-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Solid numbers for all Toonami premieres! The audience seems to be slowly growing...

These numbers certainly kick ass compared to a year ago:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-1-29-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

We went from "Oww, my balls!" to "not bad at all!!"

Not bad, Toonami, not bad at all!! Toonami concludes January 2023 with solid ratings:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-1-28-2023-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

Reveal hidden contents

2023-1-28-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

Solid numbers for all Toonami premieres! The audience seems to be slowly growing...

These numbers certainly kick ass compared to a year ago:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-1-29-2022-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

We went from "Oww, my balls!" to "not bad at all!!"

Wow that’s a solid night. When was the last time we saw 0.10 way down at One Piece?

A weird thing that seems to happen a lot, a show can be an absolute blight on viewership it’s entire run, then the few weeks leading up to it leaving, it does solid. We never saw such tight retention from Yashahime any other time. 

Now the question is, can Demarco keep this momentum going with some decent replacements?

January was great for Toonami, but thanks I guess to that damn nothingburger Chinese weather balloon, the first weekend of February was NOT kind to Toonami:

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-saturday-2-4-2023-top-150-cable-originals-network-finals.html

NO Toonami shows made the Top 50 this week. MHA checked in at #56 with a fairly decent 220K total viewers and a 0.08 in Adults 18-49, which DID beat the Senior Bowl, but it just went downhill from there. News programs were mostly responsible for the shutout, so it will be interesting to see how these premieres did on the Top 400 shows, which excludes cable news.

• Sad 1

OK, so I guess the Balloon bullshit didn't help, but Toonami dropped pretty far on its own:

"Adult Swim’s late-night line-up was as follows, MY HERO ACADEMIA down 0.04 to 0.08, MADE IN ABYSS down 0.04 to 0.06, YASHAHIME at 0.06/0.05 compared to last week’s 0.10, and NARUTO down 0.05 to 0.04."

Ouch. That was a reduction of more than half Naruto Shippuden's 18-49 audience, but other viewers DID pick up most of the slack, as it just barely managed to stay 6 digits.

And of course, Toonami's sub-par performance is reflected in the Spoiler TV Top 400 Shows as well, with MHA checking in at #104 and the rest just dropping from there but still making the list:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2023/02/top-400-cable-shows-week-ending-5th.html?m=1