UnevenEdge

Toonami Unevenedge Ratings Discussion 3.0: Let The Good Times Roll!!!!!

So,yeah, for point of reference.....

Batwoman on the CW does better than Toonami.

Think about that for a moment, then know that Toonami needs to revamp its audience engagement level, since it isn't getting the newest material and its few premieres seem to have been significantly delayed. It could build an audience with a few basic steps that I've outlined before, but if they are trying to rely on DeMarco being the arbiter of taste and hip, they are destined for an "L".

Beyond that, premieres being in top 50 is still a good thing, but yeah, room for improvement....

Lots of room.

• Sad 1

Not too shabby, y'all!

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-2-13-2021.html

image.thumb.png.4b763b579838f3876bf6675483ae4257.png

AOT beat back most of the Impeachment coverage in 18-49 and managed its highest number yet this season in total viewers!

Everything else did pretty decent, and Black Clover is FINALLY considered to be in premieres once again! Only SSSS.Gridman missed the Top 50, checking in at #62.

• Like 3

Updated.

"Adult Swim’s late-night line-up performed as follows:  DRAGON BALL down 0.01 to 0.20/401K, ATTACK ON TITAN up 0.01 to 0.20, ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM up 0.04 to 0.17, FIRE FORCE up 0.01 to 0.16, BLACK CLOVER at 0.13, SSSS GRIDMAN down 0.01 to 0.12, NARUTO steady at 0.11/224K, and DEMON SLAYER steady at 0.09.184K."

That's pretty good, I guess! DBS finally cracks 400K total viewers for the first time in 2021! February so far has been quite a bit kinder to Toonami than January was!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Jman said:

I remember back in the day everyone said that Toonami's presentation and advertising were a key part of their success, but looking at these ratings...those days are long gone.

Well... that Cosmo Samurai thing might be helping ratings right now but that's still mostly true.

4 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

An Adult Swim without anime.

An Adult Swim we deserve.

That was something Adult Swim threatened anime fans with constantly during the late 2000s.  “Get on your unworthy knees and watch Kekkaishi because you don’t have a choice!  We’re the only game in town and we will replace it with more Family Guy!”

That threat is kind of toothless today.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jman said:

That was something Adult Swim threatened anime fans with constantly during the late 2000s.  “Get on your unworthy knees and watch Kekkaishi because you don’t have a choice!  We’re the only game in town and we will replace it with more Family Guy!”

That threat is kind of toothless today.

This reminds me about how they constantly talked about ratings, made fun of the numbers, changed the schedule at the slightest problem, and made threats like this. Now whenever it’s brought up to Demarco, he wonders why people are so obsessed with them and basically says we have no business even talking about then because we don’t know anything. 

Well, I think the constant talking about them on their end made the community like this. I can’t think of any other fan base (maybe wrestling) that I’d so ratings focused. 

They created it. Even in Toonami 2.0’s early days, they stressed how important it was. Then in late 2014, we noticed something was slipping they said don’t worry, then they cut the block down saying ratings were bad- again stressing they need to be better to re expand or go earlier again.Maybe it shouldn’t have been a constant talking point on their end. I knew nothing of demos and shares until I was an Adult Swim/Toonami viewer 😂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, brianycpht said:

This reminds me about how they constantly talked about ratings, made fun of the numbers, changed the schedule at the slightest problem, and made threats like this. Now whenever it’s brought up to Demarco, he wonders why people are so obsessed with them and basically says we have no business even talking about then because we don’t know anything. 

Well, I think the constant talking about them on their end made the community like this. I can’t think of any other fan base (maybe wrestling) that I’d so ratings focused. 

They created it. Even in Toonami 2.0’s early days, they stressed how important it was. Then in late 2014, we noticed something was slipping they said don’t worry, then they cut the block down saying ratings were bad- again stressing they need to be better to re expand or go earlier again.Maybe it shouldn’t have been a constant talking point on their end. I knew nothing of demos and shares until I was an Adult Swim/Toonami viewer 😂 

That was the culture, particularly the Adult Swim way of lording their "charity" over the average anime fan.  Let's face it, anime fans and television channels have always a love/hate relationship to the days of censor-happy companies like 4Kids.  Adult Swim could not provide uncensored anime, both because of Standards & Practices -

And the people who were acquiring the shows were the tastemakers, so you had to watch what they wanted, which often times excluded shows with heavy content in favor of lighter faire.  And if you didn't like it, tough shit weeb, ONLY GAME IN TOWN unless you wanted to hit the high seas or pay out the ass for overpriced DVD's.

The ratings were their way of browbeating the fans and lording their choices and superiority over the average fan.  They had the answers, not a lot of people liked this shit, and even less people would like the shit you wanted,   So shut up and watch Kekkaishi.  What, you thought we'd air Soul Eater or Gundam 00?  We said shut up.  SyFy didn't last, did it?

Now everything's been turned on its head.  The entire network is trying to find more hits in the vein of Rick and Morty, they're losing the rights to Family Guy, and most of the audience that was mocked and browbeaten by their monopoly bailed for streaming services to watch stuff they actually wanted.   The culture they created has come back to bite them in the ass.  Hard.

No foolish decision made by Williams Street, be it minor like airing Kekkaishi instead of Soul Eater or major like pushing MHA premieres all the way to the back, made me as pissed off as their decision to demote Geass and Moribito to the graveyard slot while filling most of the Saturday block with comedy.

It's also the objective worst thing they've done with anime, since it was the only time the licensors got pissed enough to force them to put the premieres at a more reasonable time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

No foolish decision made by Williams Street, be it minor like airing Kekkaishi instead of Soul Eater or major like pushing MHA premieres all the way to the back, made me as pissed off as their decision to demote Geass and Moribito to the graveyard slot while filling most of the Saturday block with comedy.

It's also the objective worst thing they've done with anime, since it was the only time the licensors got pissed enough to force them to put the premieres at a more reasonable time.

LOL

I remember that, people were outright roasting [as] over that on their own forums.

Good times....

Didn't see this one coming...

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-2-20-2021.html

image.thumb.png.608baa4dca15816caece7656d83047e7.png

Now apparently all 6 premieres on Toonami qualify for the chart, but Black Clover was the black sheep of the lineup, just barely missing the Top 50 at #51.

Oh well; at least Ass Class managed to get back over 300K for its season finale! It should be noted that this is actually its second time over that benchmark in 2021 though.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

"Adult Swim’s late-night line-up performed as follows:  DRAGON BALL down 0.04 to 0.16/352K, ATTACK ON TITAN down 0.02 to 0.18, ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM down 0.01 to 0.16, FIRE FORCE down 0.04 to 0.12, BLACK CLOVER down 0.03 to 0.10, SSSS GRIDMAN down 0.01 to 0.11, and NARUTO steady at 0.11."

Wow. With this update, we learned that AOT beat DBS in 18-49 AND edged it out in total viewers, and these idiots apparently forgot Demon Slayer was still on the air!

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the positive momentum couldn't be sustained, and February ends with a bit of a thud:

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-2-27-2021.html

image.thumb.png.fcf2b565008ffc79c8f664e6ef700d9e.png

At least all 6 shows made the Top 50, and nothing was under 0.1 in Adults 18-49 or Adults 18-34.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Sad 1

Think we're just going to be living with this until summer when Final Space is over (though I would guess/hope the new episodes will give things a boost.

And yes, while Super is a culprit as well, like Fam Guy and FS, it will probably be parked at the front of the lineup til it's done. Only another 20-odd weeks to go so...

• Confused 1

I REALLY don't want MHA Season 5 at 12:30. It at least deserves Midnight. Of course, in order for that to happen, DBS has to go SOMEwhere. That's either 8 PM or 11:30 PM. Once Basketball season ends, it MIGHT make sense for DBS to finish its run at 8. And it should be done before Football Season!

In other news, the update came in:

"DRAGON BALL down 0.01 to 0.15/323K, ATTACK ON TITAN down 0.04 to 0.14, FOOD WARS at 0.12, FIRE FORCE steady at 0.12, BLACK CLOVER steady at 0.10, SSSS GRIDMAN down 0.01 to 0.10, NARUTO down 0.01 to 0.10/190K, and DEMON SLAYER at 0.10/167K."

Sustained over 0.1 18-49 isn't that bad, I guess. Lord knows we've seen quite a bit worse this year!

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 11:41 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

I REALLY don't want MHA Season 5 at 12:30. It at least deserves Midnight. Of course, in order for that to happen, DBS has to go SOMEwhere. That's either 8 PM or 11:30 PM. Once Basketball season ends, it MIGHT make sense for DBS to finish its run at 8. And it should be done before Football Season!

In other news, the update came in:

"DRAGON BALL down 0.01 to 0.15/323K, ATTACK ON TITAN down 0.04 to 0.14, FOOD WARS at 0.12, FIRE FORCE steady at 0.12, BLACK CLOVER steady at 0.10, SSSS GRIDMAN down 0.01 to 0.10, NARUTO down 0.01 to 0.10/190K, and DEMON SLAYER at 0.10/167K."

Sustained over 0.1 18-49 isn't that bad, I guess. Lord knows we've seen quite a bit worse this year!

To be fair, when it comes to key demo it is basically "everyone is watching college basketball" and the leftovers get split up among the rest of the programs, so .10-.18 isn't exactly terrible.

DeMarco still gets an L though.

On principle.

• Haha 1

Not too bad for the beginning to March:

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-3-6-2021.html

image.thumb.png.525a09bad82e9aa6347624842b46991e.png

AOT (which I guess [as] forgot to list as a rerun this week) was the highest-rated non-sports program in 18-34 and then everything else did relatively well from there! Nothing over 300K, but nothing UNDER 200K either!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 2

"Adult Swim’s late-night line-up performed as follows:  DRAGON BALL up 0.05 to 0.20/362K, ATTACK ON TITAN up 0.01 to 0.15, FOOD WARS up 0.02 to 0.14, FIRE FORCE up 0.01 to 0.13, BLACK CLOVER up 0.04 to 0.14, SSSS GRIDMAN up 0.01 to 0.11, NARUTO up 0.01 to 0.11/245K, and DEMON SLAYER up 0.02 to 0.12/239K."

Well, DBS DID get over 300K and a 0.2 18-49!

• Like 2

AOT did well, and everything else except SSSS.GRIDMAN at least made the Top 50:

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-3-13-2021.html

image.thumb.png.897c7684ae6250507ffbef23df2b77e0.png

And no, Gridman would not have made the Top 50 even if all that "Filler" for the lost hour did not, as it checked in at #63 with 172K viewers and a 0.08 in Adults 18-49.

Pretty cheeky of [as] to throw in their sustaining promo for Gridman that said 2:30 during the commercial break of AOT, since 2:30 didn't even exist!

"Adult Swim’s late-night line-up performed as follows:  DRAGON BALL down 0.01 to 0.19/377K, ATTACK ON TITAN up up 0.04 to 0.19, FOOD WARS up 0.02 to 0.16, FIRE FORCE steady at 0.13, BLACK CLOVER down 0.03 to 0.11, SSSS GRIDMAN down 0.03 to 0.08, NARUTO down 0.02 to 0.09, and DEMON SLAYER down down 0.03 to 0.09/179K".

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 2

I'm surprised nobody's brought up the fact that ProgrammingInsider hasn't posted any Saturday finals in over a month, which means no exact 18-49s for us. Douglas is still active and posting articles, so I don't know what's the matter, but someone should probably ask him about it, if they haven't already.

14 hours ago, Blatch said:

I'm surprised nobody's brought up the fact that ProgrammingInsider hasn't posted any Saturday finals in over a month, which means no exact 18-49s for us. Douglas is still active and posting articles, so I don't know what's the matter, but someone should probably ask him about it, if they haven't already.

According to Douglas, various networks have been cracking down on ratings info being offered to the public. The days of seeing the exact 18-49s may be over.

I've really given up on caring about the actual number of 18-49 year olds watching Toonami, as long as Show Buzz Daily still delivers on the Top 50 like this, because Toonami usually still makes it.

Unfortunately, this week the 2 AM hour is the exception, as College Basketball pretty much dominated everything:

SHOWBUZZDAILY’s Top 150 Saturday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 3.20.2021 | Showbuzz Daily

image.thumb.png.40cad6887eb82fb448141b7ba3f946dd.png

Kudos to Final Space's Season 3 premiere for being the highest-rated non-sports program in Adults 18-49. Meanwhile, Black Clover and SSSS.Gridman checked in at #56 with 186K/0.10 and #59 with 171K/0.09 respectively.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Confused 1

"On Adult Swim, the primetime FINAL SPACE was at 0.21, and the late-night line-up performed as follows:  DRAGON BALL down 0.03 to 0.17/351K, ATTACK ON TITAN steady at 0.15, FOOD WARS down 0.02 to 0.12, FIRE FORCE down 0.01 to 0.12, BLACK CLOVER down 0.04 to 0.10, SSSS GRIDMAN down 0.02 to 0.09, NARUTO down 0.01 to 0.10, and DEMON SLAYER down 0.02 to 0.10/187K."

So, the premiere of Final Space beat all of Toonami. Wonder how long that's going to happen?

And is it just wishful thinking that we may see SSSS.Dynazenon take over 12:30 from AOT when it finishes its current season in May?

• D'oh 1

On 3/18/2021 at 4:49 AM, Sketch said:

According to Douglas, various networks have been cracking down on ratings info being offered to the public. The days of seeing the exact 18-49s may be over.

Really? Well, I can't blame them for that. Funny how Toonami's been "let us care about the ratings" for a while now, and apparently the only way to further that is to take away public access to it. That's what we get for caring about this shit in 2021. 😗

23 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

So, the premiere of Final Space beat all of Toonami. Wonder how long that's going to happen?

And is it just wishful thinking that we may see SSSS.Dynazenon take over 12:30 from AOT when it finishes its current season in May?

Do you think that's a bad thing? I haven't seen anyone talk about if Final Space should be on Toonami or not, but it seems like a pretty decent action/comedy series. It'd probably work better in the block proper than Gemusetto did.

And as for the new Gridman-adjacent thing, probably not. Not when its parent show got shunted to 2:30 from the beginning. I'd sooner expect something like Golden Kamuy to fill the slot.

• Haha 1

Oh yeah, THIS happened today, didn't it?

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-3-27-2021.html

"On Adult Swim, the primetime FINAL SPACE was down 0.05 to 0.16, and the late-night line-up performed as follows:  DRAGON BALL down 0.01 to 0.16/297K, ATTACK ON TITAN steady at 0.15, FOOD WARS steady at 0.12, FIRE FORCE steady at 0.12, BLACK CLOVER steady at 0.10, SSSS GRIDMAN steady at 0.09, NARUTO up 0.01 to 0.11, and DEMON SLAYER steady at 0.10/149K."  

image.thumb.png.87e1a4559b87f4fca7b6142d342b4dce.png

Gridman placed #53 with 149K viewers, tying Demon Slayer for last place in terms of total viewers.

• Confused 1

Well, Gridman at least finished over 200K:

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-4-3-2021.html

"On Adult Swim, the primetime FINAL SPACE ticked down to 0.15, and the late-night line-up performed as follows:  DRAGON BALL down 0.01 to 0.15/330K, ATTACK ON TITAN steady at 0.15, FOOD WARS steady at 0.12, FIRE FORCE steady at 0.12, BLACK CLOVER up 0.01 to 0.11, SSSS GRIDMAN up 0.01 to 0.10, NARUTO down 0.02 to 0.09, and DEMON SLAYER down 0.03 to 0.07/167K."

image.thumb.png.43e3e1db923d642306dd2d91822cfd04.png

As far as basic cable originals are concerned, AOT WON THE NIGHT in 18-34, but the rest of the lineup DROPPED HARD with that demographic for Food Wars and everything after. It also finally managed to do better than Final Space in all demographics except Female 18-49.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Thanks 1

Apparently, Toonami forgot TPN and Black Clover were new.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-4-10-2021.html

image.thumb.png.e76ce6534ed8705272f52d83638e67c1.png

Wow, Fire Force did surprisingly well for...1:30 AM!? DID they not know it moved down to 2? If that's really supposed to be TPN's number, keeping pace with AOT, beating Final Space, and coming in second on the night in 18-34 behind AOT among cable originals is pretty impressive!

• Confused 1