UnevenEdge

were any of you in gifted and talented classes in school? what were they for?

quebecelegy

i don't think i knew it was a thing until i was in 4th grade and got a random test like outside of regular class and the next school year i was in the gifted and talented class again.

i dont even think my parents knew about it.

my school had like 6 teachers or so for each grade, and one of them was where the "gifted and talented" students would go

i don't think i was more dumb in 3rd grade than any other grade, but i got kicked out of the program for 4th grade for some reason.

but yeah, what were they even for?

i haven't really done anything so far in my life to deserve going to through those classes  :|

inb4 "ur retarded"

They tried to put me in the gifted class when I was young, but since the first thing they wanted out of me was a test, I got too bored to even feel like it was worth it.

Then in high school, I was in AP English and AP Government.

Though I'm in a masters program for writing now, and graduated with honors with a B.A. in English, I can effectively comment on how little AP English

impacted my understanding and ability to develop academic, analytical work.

So my guess, especially if it's public school, is that they really don't amount to much for the majority of folks involved in them.

nah, i wasn't

my brothers were though

they told my mother that they moved my older brother because it was disruptive to have him consistently questioning teachers and the curriculum during class. my younger brother because he has a reading disability that made it difficult to learn with the regular teachers. his verbal cognition was passed that of most of his peers but he fell very far behind in reading cognition which made homework and self study significantly more difficult.

i knew kids that were in those classes due to violent tendencies as well as mental disabilities as well. so it was basically a throw anyone who was harder to teach in a room together type thing. 

They tried to put me in the gifted class when I was young, but since the first thing they wanted out of me was a test, I got too bored to even feel like it was worth it.

Then in high school, I was in AP English and AP Government.

Though I'm in a masters program for writing now, and graduated with honors with a B.A. in English, I can effectively comment on how little AP English

impacted my understanding and ability to develop academic, analytical work.

So my guess, especially if it's public school, is that they really don't amount to much for the majority of folks involved in them.

it wasn't really optional to take the tests at my school i don't think , after a class one day i and some of the other kids were just called into a random place at the school to take them

nah, i wasn't

my brothers were though

they told my mother that they moved my older brother because it was disruptive to have him consistently questioning teachers and the curriculum during class. my younger brother because he has a reading disability that made it difficult to learn with the regular teachers. his verbal cognition was passed that of most of his peers but he fell very far behind in reading cognition which made homework and self study significantly more difficult.

i knew kids that were in those classes due to violent tendencies as well as mental disabilities as well. so it was basically a throw anyone who was harder to teach in a room together type thing.

that's weird, my classes were a mix of 50% really smart kids, 35% awful, rude ones and 15 percenters like me that were just average/ didn't care enough about school.

what's funny now that i think about it is that in every one of my grades i was around kids a lot smarter than me, until 4th grade where i even won one of those trophies for getting the highest score on one of the end of the school year tests.

the next year i was back to being dumb  :|

it wasn't really optional to take the tests at my school i don't think , after a class one day i and some of the other kids were just called into a random place at the school to take them

The first one I took wasn't optional either. I was excused for an hour from class to go take the test.

Not that I decided not to, rather I just gave up halfway and drew on the back.

The first one I took wasn't optional either. I was excused for an hour from class to go take the test.

Not that I decided not to, rather I just gave up halfway and drew on the back.

i don't really remember the first one i took

i started being in them in 1st, but i doubt i took a test in kindergarten for it lol, i dunno what the criteria for getting into them were, cause im pretty dumb so i doubt it was my grades.

I was put in AP English in high school. Unfortunately, my ADD kicked in hard during that time, and I couldn't force myself to read meh books for assignments.

my add didn't really kick in until high school, i just gave up and cheated my way through it

one of the things i didn't have to cheat at though was english, so i have that to pat myself on the back for.

i don't really remember the first one i took

i started being in them in 1st, but i doubt i took a test in kindergarten for it lol, i dunno what the criteria for getting into them were, cause im pretty dumb so i doubt it was my grades.

IQ perhaps, which has less to do with intelligence and more of one's capacity and ability to absorb information.

If not that, then perhaps a teacher's recommendation.

IQ perhaps, which has less to do with intelligence and more of one's capacity and ability to absorb information.

If not that, then perhaps a teacher's recommendation.

i don't know what an iq test looks like, but i remember taking another random test in middle school and the teachers calling my parents and telling them i should be in an honors program

i was like fuck that, im barely getting by  :|

i had a huge crush on my kindergarten teacher tho, so if it was because of a recommendation like you said, that's now revived  <3

Went from a crummy school to a nicer one when I was in the 3rd grade. Immediately got placed in the AP class. It had a different name, but it was the same concept. Can testify that all the students there were quite intelligent, some way more so than myself. Stayed a part of it for as long as it was offered. Once we hit high school we just had the typical AP/Honors stuff.

It was like a thrice weekly class and let us skip math in particular. Did geometry, algebra, calculus, physics, and I believe a bit of trigonometry. Your scores on the tests in that class replaced all scores in your normal math class. Someone was failing and got placed back into standard classes, though. When we got to middle school we got to choose more specific classes. For example, I took engineering and ended up taking home a bronze medal for bridge building at the state Science Olympiad event. (We made the little wooden ones and they stress tested them with weights until they eventually snapped, and total weight sustained was used as placement for rankings, blah blah blah.)

A good number of us maintained AP classes throughout high school. Beyond Composition/Writing and Art, I didn't take anything in high school, myself. Most of us went to the same college, as well, and reunited again in the honor programs for high GPAs. Lots of high scoring entrance exams, as you might imagine. Unfortunately, I had to withdraw from that school my junior year due to expenses and went to a different university, but I wound up being Valedictorian, graduating Summa Cum Laude.

Yes.  Elementary school started in 4th grade where a small group from my class would leave to go to another classroom where we'd basically work in vocabulary books with the teacher.  The "Wise" (AIG) class also participated in a quiz bowl type event with another local elementary school.  The only thing I didn't like about it was that we'd miss regular classroom time and my bitch of a teacher wouldn't let the AIG kids from my class know what was going on when we'd come back to class.

Middle school and high school, the accelerated learning kids were placed in the same academic classes together.  English and Social Studies were usually the same as the regular classes (just more crammed in) whereas math and science we were usually a year ahead of grade level.

I did AP American Government and a couple honors courses (Anatomy, English, American History). Had to look through old report cards to remember all this, but I did well with English and Social Studies material. Could've gotten further into science because my Physics teacher really wanted me to get into advanced Earth Science and I did much better in Chemistry than my math courses, but I had too much senioritis to pursue anything further.

I was in "gifted" all through elementary and Jr. high.......But even though we did a lot of advanced work, we also did a lot of playing......We basically had a 2 hour period set aside for us to play chess, checkers, connect 4, Videogames like Zany Golf and shit like that.  I saw no real benefits from it, but then again, maybe I wasn't supposed to see tangible results.......The payoff is I'm a human calculator.....Oh, and just because I AM Buddyroe, I'll also say I think my placement in those classes were a bit accredited to some form of juvenile affirmative action....There were only 2 black kids and one Latino in there along with some reaaaaaaaally dumb white kids, though I didn't become so jaded to believe that until my 20s.......Back then I actually felt special.

I was the only one of my siblings not to come up through the private school system because why spend that kinda money on a dud  :L

Public school still put me in gifted classes though, but I don't know why...my grades were average....I think the only regular classes I took were the math classes after Algebra I

I was in a few advanced placement classes. Apparently, they thought it would make me less bored with the curriculum if they made me do way more of it in a shorter time. Obviously it didn't work.

I still graduated, though, so fuck them.

In 3rd grade, we were given some sort of music test.  After the test the music teacher brought me (and only me) out into the hall and asked me if I played an instrument.  I hadn't really, I had a kids toy drum set and got one lesson from my aunt's bf at the time, but they broke up.  The teacher strongly suggested that I learn an instrument, but we moved shortly after that and my folks couldn't afford an instrument and lessons, so nothing ever came of it.  I've attempted guitar and keyboards on my own, but I don't have the patience.

I seem to remember being placed in an advanced reading class a few years later.  Also, I was selected by some computer program to learn Spanish in 5th grade, the first year they had a foreign language in that school.  That was the only year I made the honor roll.  After that, all the moving caught up with me in 7th grade and they found out my math skills were horrible.  We'd move from a school that was about to go into fractions or powers or bases to a town where they'd already covered that stuff.  I didn't really figure it all out until I went back to college.

We had Talented and Gifted (TAG) in elementary school and I did that. We'd leave our regular class and go to the TAG room at designated times and do creative projects, like making our own countries (I was in charge of designing our country's currency, and I remember that another group named their country New Kids on the Block Land which I thought was super silly) or choosing personalities for ourselves if we were stranded on a desert island or something (I think I was the "shy quiet one" and I wrote all of my journal entries with intentionally bad spelling because I decided my alter ego wasn't very well educated). We also put on a performance of The Velveteen Rabbit. I was a donkey and I was very proud of my high kicks. I also remember watching a movie about a place where it rains all the time except for one day and on the day the sun is supposed to come out the main girl gets locked in the closet by her douche classmates and it made me cry.

If we're also talking about honors classes and stuff I did some of those, but that was separate from the TAG program.

I was in a program where if you scored high enough on standardized testing you were permitted to join other kids at a local community college where scaled down college courses were taught to grade school kids over the summer.  During one of these courses, which centered on astronomy, I cut myself with a box cutter knife while trying to build a model rocket ship.  I still have the scar on my thumb.  That's the sum total of my experience there.