UnevenEdge

You guys still wanna move to IPB?

K_N

Previously, we put this on the back shelf because there were a lot of things that Admin[/member] wanted to do with the site that would take a lot more configuration if we switched platforms.

Unfortunately, with JMC's passing, that's no longer the case, and the site is ending up much more forum-centric.

So, I ask again - does the community as a whole want to move to IPB?

If a vast majority of users want to switch software - we'll strongly consider it - with one caveat:

As many of you are aware, I fork over a couple hundred bucks a month out of my own pocket to keep this site hosted. IPB is a paid software - it would cost $200 for the basic functionality and forum and I don't feel like paying for that on top of the hosting costs. So...

If most people want to switch, and If the community as a whole is willing to piece together $200 - we'll switch to better software.

Let the voting commence.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really see any compelling reason to.  Another one of my forums has used SMF for more than a decade without major issues.

SMF is not in very active development and has a lot of problems.

I had to hack it just to get it to run on a modern server.

This seems to be relevant to the discussion, and I found it enlightening.

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/408009-why-ips-over-other-alternative-open-sourcefree-softwares/

Here is the pricing guide for a self-hosted license. It seems like the initial set up is 200 for a forum only, with options for blog/gallery etc.. However it seems like there is a nominal $50/yr fee for an active license for the forum, with other options having similar small fees.

https://invisioncommunity.com/buy/self-hosted

I didn't delve very deep, but I would be interesting in knowing what kind of development is allowed with that license. If we decided to change themes that probably wouldn't matter, but if we decided that we wanted to develop an ignore feature that is more comprehensive or a restriction feature, or even a real time video chat type of feature would that be limited. 

We can develop anything we want and add it to the software. IPB could tell us "no, don't do that" theoretically - but I could also tell them "no, fuck you" and there's little they could do about it.

If they sent a cease and desist I'd just challenge it in court and it'd cost them way more to defend than they would likely put money towards.

If it's just a 1 time $200 expense then it sounds maybe worth it long term if it means we can have a functional search feature and such but if it's $200 at intervals then don't bother.

It's a one time fee.

There's also a $50/year licensing fee to keep us up to date, but I'm willing to front that.

Look man, I'll give you some money if you don't kill the board, but what legit benefits do you see moving to IPB with such a small user base.  This may have already been addressed but I read the OP and kinda got exhausted.  Truth be told, don't pay anything out of your pocket, you're already the host.

If anyone still wants to come here, we can bang out that $200 a month and the switch money for whatever reason.

Now I have to ask, because I AM that asshole, what server are you using that's costing you 200 a month......I mean iirc, it's not an onsite that you host, so how are you paying $2400 for this server.  Just asking, this isn't a dig, just don't know what you're working with over there.

The biggest thing about switching software is that in order to keep my server secure, I have to keep updates to things like SQL, PHP and Apache going.

SMF is developed so poorly and slowly that it doesn't work with newer versions of that server software - so every time I end up updating the server, I have to hack more of SMF to get it to work, and more shit breaks. Eventually we're going to get to the point where SMF just doesn't work anymore.

As for the server - I originally was hosting this on a $25/month VPS. That's when we had all the slowdown and crashing issues. The fact of the matter is that this site can see anywhere from 10 - 120 people actively clicking around and using it at any given time and that takes enough processing power that it really isn't suitable for a virtual server. So I used a server that I own, and the couple hundred a month I pay is to have it co-located in a data center instead of running out of my home internet connection.

I definitely don't think we've hit the limit on user-base size. Which isn't to say that we've figured out where to go from here, but the pure fact that we've gotten this number of people purely by word-of-mouth (and a convoluted treasure hunt based on some old post on the [as] subreddit) means that there is definitely low-hanging asmb fruit left out there that just hasn't gotten the memo about UEMB.

Which makes sense. On the flip side, I'm sure we've all got connections to other asmb people who just haven't heard yet, and each new/returning voice makes the place a little more whole.

So - I guess, while we aren't doing any sort of major outreach initiatives right now, don't not tell your other asmb friends that the place is here and that it's more than just a splinter board.