UnevenEdge

Post your unpopular opinions here.

The_annoying_one

8 hours ago, André Toulon said:

Is that the one where Arkham is the whole city. 

I just got bored by those games easily, but there was a batman game I kinda liked...I just never finished it. It was ps3 so I likely never will. I just remember these stupid hard batmobile missions

No. Arkham Origins is the prequel game. It's the one of the four games that fans tend to like the least because it was made by a different production company and Conroy and Hamill don't play Batman and Joker. But it's my favorite.

13 hours ago, Icarus27k said:

Too often during weekends, I hit a point where I'm so idle that negative emotions claw their way to the surface. "Now that I've been alone with my thoughts for a day, I'm a little depressed." 

Although this weekend (I'm posting this on a Sunday night) has been okay. I think because it's been a sunny, cool autumn day. 

Sounds like you need a new hobby to keep you busy on the weekends.

1 hour ago, Icarus27k said:

The hype over artificial intelligence is damaging the reputation of scientists. Most lay people think the concept is nonsensical and see a bunch of supposed experts excited about a quixotic fad. 

AI isn't a fad just like the internet is not a fad. In fact, it is older than the internet. Whether you like it or not, it's going to change society in the coming generations. 

9 minutes ago, Insipid said:

AI isn't a fad just like the internet is not a fad. In fact, it is older than the internet. Whether you like it or not, it's going to change society in the coming generations. 

After considering it, I've sided with the skeptics. The current hype around AI is positively Muskian.

Screenshot_20231120-113723.thumb.png.3cfcff6ee82df84b9ec45a107b09aafb.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Icarus27k said:

After considering it, I've sided with the skeptics. The current hype around AI is positively Muskian.

Ok, this is fair. Elon Musk is known to spout vaporware bullshit. I don't think the change AI will have on society will be that sudden. It will be more gradual.

However, just cause Musk is full of shit and fails to perform to expectations, it doesn't mean we should just say it's not gonna happen. The writer's strike that just happened included a stipulation regarding AI after all.

• Thanks 1

“Hey now! Rogan’s not all bad! He fucked over Mencia’s career for stealing jokes!”

I don’t doubt that, but something would’ve happened eventually when the guy was already conveniently recording and reciting acts before him. It’s not that hard to spot a pear-shaped guy holding a video camera in the Comedy Cellar. And that was before people would even post their sets up on YouTube.

30 minutes ago, Insipid said:

Sour grapes. Have a relationship first, then you can say this.

Ghostrek’s a passionate ladies man who needs to go to the nearest nightclub to really just mingle and let loose.

He’s a handsome and callow fellow, and I know he’s got some suave dance moves so I don’t know why he insists on living in servitude when he should be a sex guru.

Edited by [classic swim]
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, [classic swim] said:

Ghostrek’s a passionate ladies man who needs to go to the nearest nightclub to really just mingle and let loose.

He’s a handsome and callow fellow, and I know he’s got some suave dance moves so I don’t know why he insists on living in servitude when he should be a sex guru.

The nightclub is no place for ghostie. He needs to be fucking miserable housewives. He'll gain a new perspective on life when he hears "that's the first time I didn't have to fake it in years."

1 hour ago, The_annoying_one said:

The younger version of me would’ve vehemently disagreed with this, but I think the school year should be year-round. Minus weekends, of course. And holidays, but only the day of.

I have a similar experience with daylight savings time. I used to dislike it, but now I kind of think it should be year round and that our morning routines (school, business hours, etc.) should start later. 

Edited by Icarus27k
  • Thanks 2

On 11/17/2023 at 5:11 PM, Icarus27k said:

I just saw this. I remember vaguely hearing that about the creator. But that parochial controversy does not get much more than an inkling of interest from me compared to the games.

I was very impressed by the first game's satire of dead end jobs (like a security guard). I think that's why it subliminally spoke to many people at the time. 

To elaborate on this because I've been replaying the game, the satire of deadend jobs is remarkably on point. I've worked in such jobs before, where managers have resigned themselves to burning through expendable employees. They just assume the new employee isn't going to last long.

The Phone Guy character acts exactly like them. Some people are confused by Phone Guy. "Why does he act the way he does?" they will ask. Those people have never worked in a job like that before. 

43 minutes ago, The_annoying_one said:

I don’t know if this really qualifies as an “unpopular” opinion, but I feel the intense need right now to reiterate the fact that I am never having demon kids.

Well, you're under 40, so no, it's not an unpopular opinion for us. Most millennials and Gen Z won't have children.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, naraku360 said:

Captain Marvel is my favorite MCU movie.

No, it isn't good. It's quite terrible. Excluding anything phase 4 onward (haven't seen, most look unwatchable), it was easily the worst one.

It was also fucking hilarious.

I feel like I already said this but don't care enough to check. I'm having a hard time coming up with unpopular opinions, but I'm probably the only one.

• Thanks 1

I don't know if this counts as unpopular, but I have a visceral dislike of most Southern U.S. culture. Hating where you are from may be common and thus not unpopular, you see.

I hate when people try to romanticize the South. Visiting my mom's house for the holiday, she was playing an episode of a show called "The Heartland Series," which I've seen before thru her. It's a long-running local TV show that romanticizes and tells quirky stories about Appalachia. And just listening to it is like nails on a chalkboard. 

Appalachia is terrible, and when people say positive things about it, I feel like I'm being lied to. 

Maybe this is more a thing to talk with a therapist about than a message board thread though. But it's worth trying to keep the thread going. 

• Like 1

Another case: while in college, I needed credits from an English course and the professor turned out to be a poet who writes about Appalachia. I was like, "ahhhhhh fuck".  

I read all of his books of poetry because I had to. Don't remember any of it. But gave them to my mom, who still reads them to this day. 

11 minutes ago, Icarus27k said:

Appalachia is terrible, and when people say positive things about it, I feel like I'm being lied to. 

Maybe the southern part of Appalachia, but there's Pittsburgh in the northern part and I feel this city punches way above its weight for a mid-size city away from the coasts. Fred Rogers, the polio vaccine, first commercially licensed radio station in the world, Andrew Carnegie's legacy, Gertrude Stein, Michael Keaton, etc.

• Like 1