UnevenEdge

Post your unpopular opinions here.

The_annoying_one

54 minutes ago, Icarus27k said:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a bad story, and people should stop making adaptions of it, loosely or otherwise. 

Tales of eccentric rich assholes abusing the meek will always be appreciated. May Charlie and the Chocolate Factory be akin to Aesop's Fables a thousand years from now.

• Thanks 1

Just because something is clearly satire, and you may agree with every single point made... doesn’t mean the satirical piece will always be funny and perfect regardless. 

Satire isn’t this magical bulletproof force shield that makes your shitty movie hilarious simply because it’s satire. You actually have to try still!

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, [classic swim] said:

Just because something is clearly satire, and you may agree with every single point made... doesn’t mean the satirical piece will always be funny and perfect regardless. 

Satire isn’t this magical bulletproof force shield that makes your shitty movie hilarious simply because it’s satire. You actually have to try still!

There's always the danger of getting too preachy. When that happens, the audience will get fed up and demand you drop the attempted delivery and say what you mean. If you're not going to try at satire, just state your point in a straightforward way. 

Edited by Icarus27k
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Icarus27k said:

There's always the danger of getting too preachy. When that happens, the audience will get fed up and demand you drop the attempted delivery and say what you mean. If you're not going to try at satire, just state your point in a straightforward way. 

I could almost excuse satire being flimsy if people were more honest and genuine about any shortcomings.

I’ve interacted with folks who don’t believe it’s possible to have the same identity politics and still find the work to be flawed and non clever in the slightest. It’s enraging.

What’s the point of even observing anything that’s satirical if you don’t allow yourself to question or critique anything you’re absorbing?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Insipid said:

Have you just recently tried it? Supposedly, the new version tastes significantly different. I haven't had the stuff in years myself.

It’s actually been a few years since the last time I tried it. To be fair, I didn’t absolutely hate it. I just wasn’t a big fan. I would be open to trying it again if it has changed.

Just now, The_annoying_one said:

It’s actually been a few years since the last time I tried it. To be fair, I didn’t absolutely hate it. I just wasn’t a big fan. I would be open to trying it again if it has changed.

I heard it has significantly changed for the worse. I don't really like Sriracha that much either, so I dunno.

• Sad 1

I'd rather listen to Christmas music than watch Christmas movies. Maybe I've outgrown Christmas movies but I just get bored trying to watch any sort of Christmas movie or special with the exception being A Christmas Story and Tokyo Godfathers because to me they're actually good movies in general but anything else is just the absolute shits.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Icarus27k said:

DC is more mature and complex than Marvel. There's a reason DC has to keep rebooting its continuity every decade to make it hospitable to new readers. 

Depending on which era or format comic or the comic line the Batman comics are very dark and mature

On 10/27/2023 at 12:41 PM, The_annoying_one said:

Let me rephrase by saying I hate mint-chocolate chip ice cream. That cake honestly doesn’t sound too bad.

Aaarghhhhhh!

No, I totally get it, but...

On 10/27/2023 at 9:56 AM, André Toulon said:

I got hot chocolate this morning and I was about a second away from putting a wintergreen Altoid in it.....then i remembered im not a psychopath 

Why do you have wintergreen anything?  I mean, it's not like chocolate can make something worse when it's already the worst.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1