UnevenEdge

Cowboy Bebop (Live Action)

Mix

10 hours ago, wacky1980 said:

Looking fun. I'll be watching. 

But where's Ed? 

Internet theory is Ed is teased at the end of S1 so that they can bring her in on Season 2. They just dont announce who it is so she doesnt age too fast for the part.

Im liking the vibe I get from this though. I have actually hope that its not going to suck.

I think the guy that plays Jet looks alright, and seems alright.

As for Faye and Spike... No. Like I don't give two shits about the original show, and never cared for it, and likely won't watch this show simply because of that, but I'm not a fan of what I see with those two here. I don't care about Spike being played by an asian, but that guy looks way too old for him. Saw some article or video talking about that, how the character is supposed to be in his 20's or so, and the actor there is nearly 50. Also when it comes to his outfit, it honestly looks like a cheap costume.

I don't care about Faye's change of clothes, I just don't care for what I've seen of this version in this trailer. Things could always be better in the actual show, but with what I know of Netflix, it's doubtful.

• D'oh 1

7 hours ago, DBAss said:

I think the guy that plays Jet looks alright, and seems alright.

As for Faye and Spike... No. Like I don't give two shits about the original show, and never cared for it, and likely won't watch this show simply because of that, but I'm not a fan of what I see with those two here. I don't care about Spike being played by an asian, but that guy looks way too old for him. Saw some article or video talking about that, how the character is supposed to be in his 20's or so, and the actor there is nearly 50. Also when it comes to his outfit, it honestly looks like a cheap costume.

I don't care about Faye's change of clothes, I just don't care for what I've seen of this version in this trailer. Things could always be better in the actual show, but with what I know of Netflix, it's doubtful.

I'm most impressed with how well they cast Ein. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

From what I've read on the series from the comments section there and also comments on some other site, this series is holy fuck levels of bad, and a major fuck up on Netflix's part. A lot of folks criticizing the choice of actors, and also just how cheaply made the clothes they have them wearing look.

Netflix also inserting some good ol wokeness with this show. Someone in comments elsewhere was saying they changed Faye from being a sarcastic femme fatale, but now she feels like just some random woman, and I guess they made it where it's her first time on the streets. Also apparently they made her a lesbian, and that she got it on with a butch woman. Not my words, just the way I saw that described elsewhere. Also someone said they made Ed trans, which I'm not surprised Netflix would take a character that's supposed to be like 9 and make them trans. I guess in this series (haven't looked up the actor to verify) but I'm guessing it's a boy that identifies as a girl. Canonically Ed is a girl, even though she acts mostly non-binary from what I understand. I guess maybe they cast a male actor as Ed due to Ed's body shape, and how it's easier to have a boy keep that kind of figure longer than a young girl (whose figure would change after puberty, growing boobs).

If you ask me, if it is a boy actor I'd find that more fucked up, if they're having a boy wear a small pair of skin tight shorts.

I saw VirtualSatyr trashing it on twitter.

I only watched the first episode so far.  I'm shocked at how well Mustafa Shakir is channeling Beau Billingslea.  The extended marital arts fight sequences are somewhat jarring... the high energy, somewhat cartoonish nature of the action and the villains belies the brutality of the sequences.  It doesn't help that John Cho has a dry comedic delivery that kind of glosses over the sheer number of dead.  But, in general, Cho brings more emotional range to the character than the anime VAs ever did.

• D'oh 1

just finished the 1st season. 

again, i''m not disappointed. the story line was a little bit mix matched from the anime series. but eh. netflix.

as far as the clothing and 'faye's character. sounds like a whole lot of 'men being pissed' then anything else. 

'they say' this, and 'they say' that. 

in the anime, i just thought of 'ed' as a pubescent, late blooming female, and  very much tom boy. 

• Like 2

Oh good, this is where we post our thoughts on it.

Episode one was a 7/10, meaning it was great but its in the shadow of a masterpiece and so inherently a score above 8 would be basically a perfect episode.

Episode 2 only gets a 6 out of ten, mostly for the part of the show before the opening credits. Just didn't ring as true as the last one. Brought it back around by the end pretty well though. 6 is still a pretty decent score, i mean most of the Witcher episodes are around a 6 and that was a fun show.

I can see how people complaining that "its live action but trying to be animated" can be legit after 2. Personally I don't know- i feel like "trying to be animated" as a design choice was a decent way to go and people would have been just as upset had they not.

Again, when you're re-interpreting a masterpiece you're setting yourself up for folks to say you failed, whether or not you actually did.

So far i'd say they didn't. 

*** Haven't watched anything w/ Ed yet so as to not spoil myself, but wasn't their whole deal being over-the-top annoying anyways?

Edited by SwimModSponges

Sat down over the course of the week and watched the entirety of season 1. Had no expectations going into this and I still find myself disappointed. There were some genuine glimpses of what could have been, and I think Mustafa Shakir was an amazing choice to play Jet. Other casting choices range from fine to serviceable to downright absurd. 

I did not expect a 1:1 retread of the anime but I can safely say that their choice of direction with the story was odd, at best. Nothing they added or changed really justified itself and sometimes left me scratching my head. There were some exciting sequences and the most enjoyable parts, for me anyways, were when the gang was hunting down bounties or something similar. Unfortunately, they decided to bloat the runtime of most episodes with what felt like trite soap opera crap. The dialogue really bugged me, as well. In the original anime, words were harder to come by which allowed the show to breathe and explore things in different ways. In the live action show, no one ever shuts up and everyone has to be the comic relief character so it devolves into a battle of the quips and disconnected dialogue. And my god was some of that dialogue cringe. 

It also felt like some characters were changed up entirely, sometimes even at the drop of the hat at the very end, just to serve some narrative that carries us to needing another season. While I am all for fresh ideas and new takes on Cowboy Bebop, I didn't like what I saw thus far so I am inclined to believe any original concepts will be mediocre at best moving forward as this show will inevitably have a season 2. 

Personally this came off as boring more than anything else. It was painful at times to watch but overall I got through it fine, I just think it has no real justifiable reason to have existed but if people like it, I guess I'm the asshole here. 

13 hours ago, Mix said:

Live action anime doesn't come from a genuine place. They're just churning out content. 

With that in mind, this is not that bad. 

Some are.  Very few admittedly.  The Kenshin films are legitimately good samurai movies.

7 hours ago, Jman said:

Some are.  Very few admittedly.  The Kenshin films are legitimately good samurai movies.

Those movies are well made, no doubt, but there's plenty to gripe about for fans of the anime. 

I always wonder if the people behind it were creating something they cared about or were they simply hired to put together something profitable. 

Alright, I finished it and my initial impression from the first couple of episodes hasn't changed. 

It's not bad.....the main three were cast well enough and acted well enough that it was worth the watch.

Now to sit back and watch as they Game of Thrones the shit out of season 2. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I finished this series yesterday, and honestly, it wasnt that bad.  It was pretty enjoyable at times, and I really like what they did for most of the show. A few things sucked(Ed :|) but most of it was pretty good. 

Little disappointed that its not getting a 2nd season. I think they could have done a lot of good stuff with it, and figured out how to reduce the parts that just sucked.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

I finished this series yesterday, and honestly, it wasnt that bad.  It was pretty enjoyable at times, and I really like what they did for most of the show. A few things sucked(Ed :|) but most of it was pretty good. 

Little disappointed that its not getting a 2nd season. I think they could have done a lot of good stuff with it, and figured out how to reduce the parts that just sucked.

I think my favorite part was Jet at the recital while Spike in the background doing all the work 

And The Mink 

And some parts where you can see how somebody put curlers in John Cho's hair lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Vamped said:

I think my favorite part was Jet at the recital while Spike in the background doing all the work 

And The Mink 

And some parts where you can see how somebody put curlers in John Cho's hair lol 

The Mink was hilarious.  That whole thing had me laughing.  Really well done.  The Jet thing had me absolutely rolling.  They did a great job in that episode.

Some of the Cho stuff was a little awkward, but I think he actually did a good job. He played the part well, and was good at what he was doing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It was okay. I think the trio nailed their roles. Besides that BURN IT! Burn the script, burn the so called comedy, burn the changes that were made with Julia and Vicious. Julia shooting Spike as Green Bird plays was a big middle fingers to fans of the anime. Just watch the anime or re-watch it. 

• 6 months later...