UnevenEdge

SSSS Gridman joins toonami in january

CountFrylock

1 hour ago, ben0119 said:

I didn't even know this was a mecha show since all ever heard anyone talk or show pictures of was the waifus lol.  Seems like people of pretty diverse tastes all seem to like it, so that is a good sign.  Well done by Demarco.

This show was known mainly for thick thighed waifu and foot fetish waifu.

It's critical rating is worse than SAO. If you're expecting some sort of critical darling like Gurren Lagan or Re Zero you're going to be very disappointed.

Just enjoy the Mecha on Kaiju battles and the waifus. It's like watching a Transformers movie. Turn your brain off and enjoy it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Daos said:

This show was known mainly for thick thighed waifu and foot fetish waifu.

It's critical rating is worse than SAO. If you're expecting some sort of critical darling like Gurren Lagan or Re Zero you're going to be very disappointed.

Just enjoy the Mecha on Kaiju battles and the waifus. It's like watching a Transformers movie. Turn your brain off and enjoy it.

Ah ok lol.  Will do.

I have never understood the whole foot fetish thing at all.  Thighs/legs I agree with.  That is a major feature of the feminine form.  Then again I also yearn for the days before the internet when the foot fetishists and BDSM people were the weirdest pervs we knew about.  So maybe I shouldn't complain too much if that is the worst I have to deal with in this show lol.

Lul one of the first results that came up for Google imaging this show -

rikka-takarada-ssssgridman.jpg

Better late than never. I'm looking forward to some giant robot action on Toonami in the new year!

This is about as surprising as Ass Class. Nice to see a couple older but still newish series in the mix. That proves that Food Wars wasn't a fluke.

Really feels like they're gonna need some extra space for all the sequel seasons they could get next year and it does make me a little worried they won't make the space. I'll have faith that they'll make it work at least for now.

• Like 5

Some actual good news for the block -

And yes, it’s not a mecha show per se, it’s more a take on the Ultraman/Giant hero genre.

And most 90’s kids at least remember its (surprisingly faithful, since Tsuburaya had a direct hand in it) adaptation of the original with Tim Curry.  

image.png

6 hours ago, Jman said:

Some actual good news for the block -

And yes, it’s not a mecha show per se, it’s more a take on the Ultraman/Giant hero genre.

And most 90’s kids at least remember its (surprisingly faithful, since Tsuburaya had a direct hand in it) adaptation of the original with Tim Curry.  

That girl towards the end is waifu material Jesus fuck

In case anyone was wondering, Rikka's thick thigh design was not an accident.

"According to Sakamoto, the series director Akira Amemiya personally requested the following for Rikka Takarada’s design: “make her ass big and her thighs thicc.”

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well, looks like 2020 will effectively be a year without mechas, I guess unless you count BallMastrz...

...but they're BACK in 2021! And so are Kaiju!!

Still waiting on you to pick up Gundam Thunderbolt in December one year in some form, DeMarco; its movie form would be great for a takeover night like we had back in August with the Batman nights!

Edited by OwlChemist81

Didn't they flat out say they wouldn't be picking up Darling in the Franxx?  They don't do that very often.  That show must be REALLY bad.

https://ask.fm/Clarknova/answers/150509188841

LOL I just found this.

I wonder if it is even worth watching in a "so bad it's good" fashion, or if it's just miserable to sit through.

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Didn't they flat out say they wouldn't be picking up Darling in the Franxx?  They don't do that very often.  That show must be REALLY bad.

https://ask.fm/Clarknova/answers/150509188841

LOL I just found this.

I wonder if it is even worth watching in a "so bad it's good" fashion, or if it's just miserable to sit through.

It starts OK, then drops in quality.  And it’s still better than Voltron.

7 minutes ago, Jman said:

It starts OK, then drops in quality.  And it’s still better than Voltron.

that's too high a Compliment for DITF....and it has many of the exact same problems as Voltron...such as overt homophobia and changing it's mind about what the plot is over and over, I'd argue it and Voltron are two halves of the same terrible whole

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mochi said:

that's too high a Compliment for DITF....and it has many of the exact same problems as Voltron...such as overt homophobia and changing it's mind about what the plot is over and over, I'd argue it and Voltron are two halves of the same terrible whole

Franxx used its robot.  It wins by default.

35 minutes ago, mochi said:

you just like Franxx more 'cause it made the pilots fuck to move the robots >_>

I have a pretty simple rule for mecha anime - If you have a mecha, use it.  It doesn’t mean do nothing but robot fights at the expense of characters and plot, but robots are there to be used and be integral to the plot.  None of this Diet Avatar crap where two writers with a raging hate-boner for giant robots and pissed that Capcom rejected their Street Fighter cartoon idea (look it up), felt that coddling a Tumblr audience that never buys merch, never appeals to a mainstream audience, and NEVER MATTERS (case in point, the financial failure that is She-Ra and the Proms of Noelle Stevenson’s lost childhood with a conservative mother) was the way to go.  The toys didn’t sell, kids didn’t watch, and the show was a failure in every metric possible except its small, crazy group of hardcore fans that turned once it was clear the two guys weren’t going to be a couple.  

Gridman doesn’t have that problem.  It knows why people would want to watch an animated take on the Ultraman mythos (fun fact, they originally wanted to make an Ultraman anime, but Production IG was already doing the Ultraman anime for Netflix based on the manga, so Tsuburaya offered Trigger a choice between Gridman and an Ultra spinoff called Andro Melos.  Gridman was fairly popular in its day during a lull in Ultra shows, so they chose Gridman), and it’s rather intelligent with its handling of those tropes.  Because they actually know what they’re doing, unlike Western writers with their heads up their asses.

Edited by Jman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jman said:

I have a pretty simple rule for mecha anime - If you have a mecha, use it.  It doesn’t mean do nothing but robot fights at the expense of characters and plot, but robots are there to be used and be integral to the plot.  None of this Diet Avatar crap where two writers with a raging hate-boner for giant robots and pissed that Capcom rejected their Street Fighter cartoon idea (look it up), felt that coddling a Tumblr audience that never buys merch, never appeals to a mainstream audience, and NEVER MATTERS (case in point, the financial failure that is She-Ra and the Proms of Noelle Stevenson’s lost childhood with a conservative mother).  The toys didn’t sell, kids didn’t watch, and the show was a failure in every metric possible except its small, crazy group of hardcore fans that turned once it was clear the two guys weren’t going to be a couple.  

Gridman doesn’t have that problem.  It knows why people would want to watch an animated take on the Ultraman mythos (fun fact, they originally wanted to make an Ultraman anime, but Production IG was already doing the Ultraman anime for Netflix based on the manga, so Tsuburaya offered Trigger a choice between Gridman and an Ultra spinoff called Andro Melos.  Gridman was fairly popular in its day during a lull in Ultra shows, so they chose Gridman), and it’s rather intelligent with its handling of those tropes.  Because they actually know what they’re doing, unlike Western writers with their heads up their asses.

that wasn't a no >_>

3 minutes ago, mochi said:

that wasn't a no >_>

Most mecha shows are better than VLD because VLD is a pile of dogshit made by hipsters more concerned with Tumblr claps than money.  And Franxx’s weird doggy style mecha as a metaphor is dumb, like...really dumb,  but it’s not the worst thing about the show.  It’s just a weird stylistic choice, one that they didn’t need but I’ll laugh at.

Edited by Jman

32 minutes ago, Jman said:

Most mecha shows are better than VLD because VLD is a pile of dogshit made by hipsters more concerned with Tumblr claps than money.  And Franxx’s weird doggy style mecha as a metaphor is dumb, like...really dumb,  but it’s not the worst thing about the show.  It’s just a weird stylistic choice, one that they didn’t need but I’ll laugh at.

if VLD was as tumblr focused as you like to say it is, don't you think they'd have tried harder to include gay characters?