UnevenEdge

SSSS Gridman joins toonami in january

CountFrylock

4 minutes ago, mochi said:

if VLD was as tumblr focused as you like to say it is, don't you think they'd have tried harder to include gay characters?

I think their parading of Shiro around and the whole gay wedding satisfying no one shows the futility of appealing to them.  

14 minutes ago, Jman said:

I think their parading of Shiro around and the whole gay wedding satisfying no one shows the futility of appealing to them.  

you don't have the full story

for almost the whole run of the show the shows fanbase was demanding LGBT rep and the showrunners kept saying 
"oooo sorrryyyy, nooooooo" 

then someone went rogue and said a character named Blaytz was gay so their PR department started placating the fanbase, then their PR team said Shiro was "a member of the LGBT community and you're going to meet his Partner Adam in season 7" to drive up tumblr appeal

then their fanbase saw what Adam was

a postumous character who was already dead who is acknowledged once then completely forgotten about,

the fan reaction was so rightfully pissed off that they delayed the final season to remove anything else that was gonna come across as similarly insulting

including but not limited to

1. nixing an ending where Keith marries an alien girl they had introduced just to be his wife
  2. re-adding the ending from the original where Allura dies (they had planned for her to live so she could marry Lance)
  3. reviving several other characters they had anecdotally confirmed were gay who they had killed off in season 7
  4. straight up confirmed that Shiro was in fact gay, previously they would not say where he fit in in the LGBT acronym
  5. POSSIBLY (this is just from my own observances and theories) removed an ending where Shiro marries Lance's sister
  6. added in a brand new scene to the ending showing Shiro married a random background character named Curtis 
  • Like 1

And this is why Western cartoon writers, to be Frank. Suck.  It’s all about the asspats and trying to clone Avatar the Last Airbender when that formula has worked all of once.

Let me just say it’s not Western writers as a whole, we’re doing pretty damn well pumping out more prestige TV and high quality stuff than ever before, but Western animation writers are butthurt, whiny, heads up their ass hipsters who are more concerned with Twitter claps and being seen as smart than making anything entertaining, when they’re not working their way through their own issues because they never went to their prom.  Boo fucking hoo.  Entertain people.  Or when they clearly project how woke they are to hide trading sex for jobs, Warren Ellis, you jackoff.

The jackasses who make unpopular crap like VLD, like She Ra, like Owl House, honestly probably couldn’t make Gridman without making it a self-aware, pretentious mess with terrible animation and no fights,

Edited by Jman

12 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Didn't they flat out say they wouldn't be picking up Darling in the Franxx?  They don't do that very often.  That show must be REALLY bad.

https://ask.fm/Clarknova/answers/150509188841

LOL I just found this.

I wonder if it is even worth watching in a "so bad it's good" fashion, or if it's just miserable to sit through.

Remember how Gurren Lagan was set in a dystopia and has a huge twist where the real enemy ends up being the Anti Spirals? Well Trigger tried the same thing with this show, but it didn't work at all and was just weird and out of left field.

I actually sat through all the eps, and there's 24 of them. Most of them were... pretty tedious. It tries to use a bunch of metaphors and symbolism.....for example... with the Mecha piloting positions.

Darling-Insert-Image.png?resize=474,267

Zero Two is the only memorable character. The anime isn't awful it's just kind of a mediocre waste of time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Didn't they flat out say they wouldn't be picking up Darling in the Franxx?  They don't do that very often.  That show must be REALLY bad.

https://ask.fm/Clarknova/answers/150509188841

LOL I just found this.

I wonder if it is even worth watching in a "so bad it's good" fashion, or if it's just miserable to sit through.

DITF is genuinely that bad

nutshelled

1. it sets up plot points, then throws out all those plot points and starts completely new ones without ever resolving the old ones, it does this multiple times
  2. it soapboxed EXTREMELY homophobic and transphobic messages in a weird way where it's hard to tell if they're genuinely anti-gay, or if they were trying to be pro gay but messed it up super badly somehow
  3. much of it's in series dogma is contradicted by the show itself (it says same sex pairs can't co-pilot, then lets some same sex characters do so anyway...comes up with an excuse as to why they can, but said excuse makes no sense and doesn't explain how that would make their situation any different)
Edited by mochi
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Daos said:

Remember how Gurren Lagan was set in a dystopia and has a huge twist where the real enemy ends up being the Anti Spirals? Well Trigger tried the same thing with this show, but it didn't work at all and was just weird and out of left field.

I actually sat through all the eps, and there's 24 of them. Most of them were... pretty tedious. It tries to use a bunch of metaphors and symbolism.....for example... with the Mecha piloting positions.

Zero Two is the only memorable character. The anime isn't awful it's just kind of a mediocre waste of time.

Franxx is one of the few handful of anime I dropped midway through.  I am usually a forgiving person when it comes to starting a show.

57 minutes ago, elfie said:

Franxx is one of the few handful of anime I dropped midway through.  I am usually a forgiving person when it comes to starting a show.

The general consensus seems to be after about 6 episodes it goes downhill rapidly.

6 hours ago, Jman said:

So imagine how terrible VLD is for Franxx to outclass it.

All that being said, I’m wondering if Toonami will ever be interested in Promare.

Promare is a movie so no

also considering general belief is that Promare is gay I'm surprised you like it

1 hour ago, Jman said:

Anyway, Gridman is good, but I wonder how many people even remember Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad.

This is the thing: I'm not sure this will be popular on the block because it borrows a lot of inspiration from the old sentai shows, and I guarantee you not a single member here is a fan of those.

On 11/20/2020 at 3:22 PM, Daos said:

On 11/20/2020 at 3:31 PM, mochi said:

DITF is genuinely that bad

nutshelled

1. it sets up plot points, then throws out all those plot points and starts completely new ones without ever resolving the old ones, it does this multiple times
  2. it soapboxed EXTREMELY homophobic and transphobic messages in a weird way where it's hard to tell if they're genuinely anti-gay, or if they were trying to be pro gay but messed it up super badly somehow
  3. much of it's in series dogma is contradicted by the show itself (it says same sex pairs can't co-pilot, then lets some same sex characters do so anyway...comes up with an excuse as to why they can, but said excuse makes no sense and doesn't explain how that would make their situation any different)

Wow that sure does sound pretty bad lmao.  I guess I will probably skip it then, even if the doggy style mecha piloting looks pretty tempting. xD Too many things to watch/read/play to waste on tedious shows!

Umm yeah I had no idea Gridman had anything to do with an old sentai show.  Doesn't seem like it will be a requirement though, given the show's popularity and success, and the liklihood a majority of the fans were not familiar with the sentai show, if not in Japan, then definitely here.  Although this might explain the mecha's more humanoid design compared to others.  It was probably literally a guy in a suit in the old series.

6 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Wow that sure does sound pretty bad lmao.  I guess I will probably skip it then, even if the doggy style mecha piloting looks pretty tempting. xD Too many things to watch/read/play to waste on tedious shows!

Umm yeah I had no idea Gridman had anything to do with an old sentai show.  Doesn't seem like it will be a requirement though, given the show's popularity and success, and the liklihood a majority of the fans were not familiar with the sentai show, if not in Japan, then definitely here.  Although this might explain the mecha's more humanoid design compared to others.  It was probably literally a guy in a suit in the old series.

to elaborate about the same sex piloting issue I mentiond

Spoiler

midway though the series some pilots who pilot in male/male pairs show up despite the series saying this isn't possible....the series then confirms all of them are actually physically female and are aliens......this does not explain why they can pilot in same sex pairs while humans can't
❥ Nine Alpha, too dangerous and beautiful. || Darling in the Franxx. -  YouTube

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Gridman himself isn’t a mecha but a giant hero like Ultraman (same company).  You don’t need to know anything about Gridman or Syber Squad, and the show doesn’t expect you to have that information outside or shout outs and the like.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mochi said:

to elaborate about the same sex piloting issue I mentiond

Hide contents

midway though the series some pilots who pilot in male/male pairs show up despite the series saying this isn't possible....the series then confirms all of them are actually physically female and are aliens......this does not explain why they can pilot in same sex pairs while humans can't
❥ Nine Alpha, too dangerous and beautiful. || Darling in the Franxx. -  YouTube

Hahaha, hoo boy.

I had no idea Tim Curry had anything to do with this.  Looking it up and it looks like he played some sort of role in the Power Rangers-style American adaptation of the Gridman series, which I don't remember at all.  I remember initially disliking Power Rangers at first but started watching it as a guilty pleasure.  It just seemed so silly, cheesy, and corny to me, but I warmed up to it, along with my younger brother.  I remember my cousin who was much younger at the time got way into Power Rangers.  But I certainly wasn't having it with anything that came off to me as Power Rangers also-rans, like that Beetle Borg show and others.  So I don't recall Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad at all.  This is a new one on me.

54 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

SSSS Gridman is a remake/sequel of the original Gridman, which is decades old and was in live-action. The mechs and monsters in the show were costumes, which explains the designs you'll see in the anime.

Gridman-Sigma.jpg

Edited by elfie
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

I had no idea Tim Curry had anything to do with this.  Looking it up and it looks like he played some sort of role in the Power Rangers-style American adaptation of the Gridman series, which I don't remember at all.  I remember initially disliking Power Rangers at first but started watching it as a guilty pleasure.  It just seemed so silly, cheesy, and corny to me, but I warmed up to it, along with my younger brother.  I remember my cousin who was much younger at the time got way into Power Rangers.  But I certainly wasn't having it with anything that came off to me as Power Rangers also-rans, like that Beetle Borg show and others.  So I don't recall Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad at all.  This is a new one on me.

Tsuburaya has always demanded more control over its projects than other companies, so Syber Squad is a pretty accurate version of Gridman, just one with a rather eclectic cast including Curry and Matthew Lawrence of all people.  Ultraman and Sentai are cousins rather than direct opposites, which is probably why Syber Squad did better than most of the PR also rans.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, elfie said:

This is the thing: I'm not sure this will be popular on the block because it borrows a lot of inspiration from the old sentai shows, and I guarantee you not a single member here is a fan of those.

Oh hi, I like sentai and tokutatsu and the American basterdizations of them.

• Like 2

• StarPanda unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

I DVR everything, so Gridman airing so late doesn't bother me.

/co/'s bitching about it however, alongside their continued forced hate of certain shows I won't name and the [as] Discord community's genuine like of them, finally convinced me to quit reading their Toonami generals for good.

They're such asshats in those threads. As much as I enjoy watching them practically tear their hair out over every little thing, the amount of righteous indignation they have about everything is insufferable. And on top of that they're often wrong about behind the scenes stuff but preach their interpretation of reality as the absolute truth. Like they were still going on about the bracket being rigged so Bebop would air.

On 12/27/2020 at 2:15 PM, PokeNirvash said:

I DVR everything, so Gridman airing so late doesn't bother me.

/co/'s bitching about it however, alongside their continued forced hate of certain shows I won't name and the [as] Discord community's genuine like of them, finally convinced me to quit reading their Toonami generals for good.

Yeah the show airing that late is odd.  It definitely deserves top billing over Assassination Classroom.  But since I'm such a night owl anyway it won't affect my watching it.

I don't know why you would go on shitty 4chan in the first place.  

I didn't even know AS had a Discord.

On 12/28/2020 at 1:22 AM, Sketch said:

They're such asshats in those threads. As much as I enjoy watching them practically tear their hair out over every little thing, the amount of righteous indignation they have about everything is insufferable. And on top of that they're often wrong about behind the scenes stuff but preach their interpretation of reality as the absolute truth. Like they were still going on about the bracket being rigged so Bebop would air.

Sounds like those asshats on Youtube that make clickbait thumbnails giving Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy (and now Pablo Hidalgo) evil glowing eyes.  I've lost count of how many times Kennedy has been "fired" or Star Trek Discovery had been "canceled."  I have all those channels marked as not interested so they don't show up in my recommendations, and sure as hell don't go on 4chan!

Lol.  Probably Bebop would have aired anyway right?  Good ole Demarco with his trolling lol.

On 12/27/2020 at 10:49 PM, Daos said:

LMAO!

Edited by ben0119

4 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I don't know why you would go on shitty 4chan in the first place.  

I didn't even know AS had a Discord.

At this point, it's a case of "I don't know how to quit you". There are some interesting threads and some fun moments here and there, and the only reason I've quit their Toonami discussion is that the costs have started outweighing the benefits to the point that the benefits are hardly worth it anymore. For what it's worth, be glad that I only browse /a/, /co/, /d/, and /aco/. I've made it a point to avoid /b/ and /pol/ like the plague.

Yeah, it's mostly made up of people from the video chat on the [as] website.

20 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

At this point, it's a case of "I don't know how to quit you". There are some interesting threads and some fun moments here and there, and the only reason I've quit their Toonami discussion is that the costs have started outweighing the benefits to the point that the benefits are hardly worth it anymore. For what it's worth, be glad that I only browse /a/, /co/, /d/, and /aco/. I've made it a point to avoid /b/ and /pol/ like the plague.

Yeah, it's mostly made up of people from the video chat on the [as] website.

To be more accurate the discord isn't at all official, it's the discord created by the Adult Swim subreddit (r/adultswim) but they do have some AS staff that pop in there.

I only ever read /co but even that is a cesspool 95% of the time. xD