UnevenEdge

Vic Mignogna is in Trouble

ben0119

Vic is a skeevy dude, and well, hasn’t this been an open secret for years now?  It’s just no one wanted to really say anything until now.  Granted, I view ANN roughly the same way I view a lot of video game “journalists”, but when your co-workers as well as fans all go in on you, and your primary defense is a fan club run by your own mother...I’m sorry, but the evidence seems to support to accusers a lot more.  I’m inclined to believe the people who have come forward, the industry insiders, and everyone else over the fan club.

Edited by Jman
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, stilgar said:

The people willing to defend abusers never think those people are abusers even if there is concrete proof that they are. Also, get the fuck outta here with that youtube garbage. 

This 100%. 

In my community there was a pretty prominent member who was convicted of sexually assaulting young boys a couple of years ago. There were tons of evidence and his own mother (who worked for the county hospital as a youth advocate!) helped cover it up and even attempted to help him flee from charges. He's currently serving time in a state prison and there are still to this day, people here who claim it was a frame job. That all the text messages and even a DNA test were all just fakes made up by some mysterious entity.

• Like 3

On 2/9/2019 at 5:50 PM, Blatch said:

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

~Desmond Tutu

So you're telling me it's impossible for me to be indifferent to the Vic incident and not be a jerk at the same time. I expected better of you, Blatch.

Edited by PokeNirvash

2 hours ago, stilgar said:

The people willing to defend abusers never think those people are abusers even if there is concrete proof that they are. Also, get the fuck outta here with that youtube garbage. 

That YouTube garbage proves my point: People are taking Vic's side, really knowing nothing about the situation, just because they think it's an SJW witch hunt. Outrage Culture is hurting actual victims.

• D'oh 3

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

So you're telling me it's impossible for me to be indifferent to the Vic incident and not be a jerk at the same time. I expected better of you, Blatch.

All part of the SJW narrative. You either side with them or you're a Nazi.

• Confused 1
  • D'oh 6

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

I mean if someone, even a stranger, tells you they were assaulted or harassed and you say you don't care either way... that kinda makes you a jerk.

41 minutes ago, RPD said:

All part of the SJW narrative. You either side with them or you're a Nazi.

But saying assault/harassment is bad is not an us vs. them situation. It's a common human decency situation.

• Thanks 8

It can be argued that ANN helped steer the focus on Vic to take the heat off of themselves for hiring Hazukari, a molester/sexual predator, on their writing staff for a few appearances or featuring an editorial on a Happy Science anime film.

However, anyone who tries to pretend that Vic isn't guilty of everything that everyone says he has must have never seen the mountains and mountains of evidence that steer towards him being notorious for kissing his fans of all ages, being a nightmare for convention staff, and getting uncomfortably candid about others religious views. I would understand why people would be skeptical if these were accusations about some elusive Hollywood celebrity, but Vic is pretty out in the open about everything that everyone has ever accused him of. It's not as if he's being accused of being a rapist, but accusing Vic of kissing or touching his girl fans a little too much at cons, regardless of whether they're interested or not, is widespread for everyone to see, especially since con footage is all public.

For all the sleuthing that Youtube channels featuring neckbeards drawing themselves as Master Roshi on a crusade against SJWs or Caulifla or whatever, a simple Youtube search could also pull up many of the times that Vic's pulled fans in for kisses. What seemed like a super cool mark of appreciation for someone in the Risembool Rangers in 2004 is going to be seen by many outsiders as him kissing young fans at cons regardless of the angle. It's not going to suddenly be innocuous because he didn't pull his dick out. He's just reaped the benefits of having so many young girls wanting to be kissed by him for voicing Ed or Tamaki that he didn't realize that people would be making receipts of these moments because it's become a pattern that's spread towards girls who didn't want to be kissed by him.

• Thanks 8

Believe me, given the facts, I feel that Mignogna did do wrong and that the victims should be believed. I just don't feel disgusted or vitriolic at the news coming out about him, and would rather keep my distance than be part of the #KickVic movement because of the side of common human decency I'm taking, given there's only just the two.

• Thanks 1

Given the situation, the conclusion that his chosen industry has made is to boot him from productions and not let him in conventions.  I think that’s fair all things considered for being a creep.

And when it comes down to it, the wrongs of ANN being a bunch of self righteous idiots who can’t keep their house in order but whine about Shield Hero doesn’t excuse Vic.  They’re separate.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

I mean if someone, even a stranger, tells you they were assaulted or harassed and you say you don't care either way... that kinda makes you a jerk.

But saying assault/harassment is bad is not an us vs. them situation. It's a common human decency situation.

When you're presented with a giant pile of evidence suggesting that Vic did at least most of this, you should feel empathy for the victims. Claiming neutrality and blaming both sides is a bad tactic has to do with the conservative mindset invalidating the experiences of others that don't affect you. It could also be based off of someone's incapability to take a stand on anything that has even a whiff of politics, but that's a bizarre trait I haven't seen anywhere else.

Now, the funny thing is when "anti-SJWs" try to claim that I'm enforcing my morality on others. I am, and rather proudly, but I'm not trying to be militant about it... which is something I can't say for the other side. :ph34r:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

Of course assualt is bad, but attacking and ruining someone's reputation isn't good either. It's the judicial system's job to determine guilt. That's why we have one.

• Thanks 1
  • D'oh 2

51 minutes ago, RPD said:

Of course assualt is bad, but attacking and ruining someone's reputation isn't good either. It's the judicial system's job to determine guilt. That's why we have one.

And it's also well within the rights of your employer to fire you for sexual harassment and to be removed from public functions at the behest of the organization which is hosting it which are literally the only new things that has happened here. 

• Thanks 4

Not surprised, supposedly he grabbed a VA by the hair and whispered sexual things into her ear. Another weird one was he slept with a VA's friend that was staying with her in her hotel, and wanted to know which bed was the VA's so he could bang the friend in her bed. Dude's got some serious problems that go way beyond an unwanted kiss on the cheek. I can see why they said he needs help, sounds like a sex addict.

And now people are claiming Monica Rial is lying so she can steal Vic's jobs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RPD said:

That YouTube garbage proves my point: People are taking Vic's side, really knowing nothing about the situation, just because they think it's an SJW witch hunt. Outrage Culture is hurting actual victims.

So, what you are saying is people who are willing to defend abusers will us any excuse to justify their defense of said abuser. Also, you act like people were taking the word of victim over the word of their abuser for thousands of years until those pesky "SJWs" with their "PC" culture upset them so much they decided "nah, fuck victims."

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

And it's also well within the rights of your employer to fire you for sexual harassment and to be removed from public functions at the behest of the organization which is hosting it which are literally the only new things that has happened here. 

But think of the poor abuser, you are ruining their life. They couldn't help but touch all those people!

• Like 4

Jamie Marchi gave a rather detailed account of an incident where he Sexually Harassed her

according to her, he Grabbed her by the hair and yanked her head back and whispered something sexual into her ear and she yelled at him so he let her go and backed off

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daos said:

And now people are claiming Monica Rial is lying so she can steal Vic's jobs.

What in the fuck? Like, I know abuser apologists aren't the smartest knives in the drawer, but how the shit does that narrative go in their mind? This woman is trying to get a man fired to steal his roles that her voice is completely unsuited for and were never on the table for her range?

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, elfie said:

Because clearly her voice can mimick Vic's perfectly??????? *_____*

**imagines a cutesy high-pitched little girl voice coming out of Broly's mouth**

tenor.gif?itemid=5651435

Edited by mochi
  • Haha 4
  • D'oh 1

56 minutes ago, mochi said:

**imagines a cutesy high-pitched little girl voice coming out of Broly's mouth**

tenor.gif?itemid=5651435

Now when you hear the “KAKAROOOOOOT” shout in future Super episodes, you’ll have a hard time telling if it’s Broly getting pissed or Bulma picking up on Vegeta’s vocabulary

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, RPD said:

Again, stop associating with fucking idiots.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RPD said:

And what happens when the actions don't rise to the level of being prosecutable, or are outside the statute of limitations? Do we just ignore them then?

• Like 1

Whoa.  I expected the situation with Vic to end up this way, but I don't think I expected it to happen so quickly.  Admittedly, I haven't been keeping up with anime/anime news as much as I used recently (I only just started on my Fall 2018 shows), so maybe part of it is me just hearing all of these developments happen at once, as opposed to a couple of days in between each one.  Not really much that I can give in the way of my thoughts on the situation, but here they are, for what it's worth:

-As I mentioned before, I've heard the stories about Vic before.  I think everybody in the anime community knew of them, on some level.  But as I learn more about Vic, he just seems more...I guess "disturbing" and "off-putting" would be the right words. And this isn't even considering the multiple sexual assault allegations against him.  It was only recently that I heard about the "Risembool Rangers" and the Christian singing and CDs at his con appearances.  I would agree that the "Risembool Rangers" themselves seem oddly cult-like, and while I have nothing against Christians, the mixing of that, Vic's behavior, and his fan club all form a sense of unease in me about the whole situation.

-As a person, I'm largely apolitical.  For that, you can thank 24 years of getting politics shoved down my throat at every conceivable moment.  But in spite of that, I hold stronger opinions when it comes to assault, particularly violence against women.  If #MeToo taught us anything, it's that ANY allegation of assault can be credible, and should be taken seriously.  We should not just assume that someone is making an allegation to discredit a person, because in the vast majority of instances, that's not the case.

-Taking that, as well as Vic's behavior and the LARGE number of allegations against him into account, I believe that releasing him from upcoming con appearances, as well as kicking him out of studios and his current dub roles, would be the correct course of action.  He will hopefully be tried.  I will stop short of calling him guilty, but considering everything that's come out about him so far, my sympathy lies with the accusers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Top Gun said:

And what happens when the actions don't rise to the level of being prosecutable, or are outside the statute of limitations? Do we just ignore them then?

You just have to deal with it. If we start ignoring the system where does it end? We have laws against slandering people, and I'd love to see someone get their ass sued off for it. Let the law do it's job.

• D'oh 1

20 hours ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

It's within an employer's rights to fire someone for any reason, most times. They're called "right to work" states. However, it's not the public's right to badger a person's employer in order to get them fired.

2 hours ago, RPD said:

You just have to deal with it. If we start ignoring the system where does it end? We have laws against slandering people, and I'd love to see someone get their ass sued off for it. Let the law do it's job.

"Deal" with sexual harassment and unwanted physical contact.

This is documented.  It happened.  Vic is a miserable sack of shit and he can go fuck himself.  Feel free to join him.

Edited by Top Gun
  • Thanks 2

On 2/11/2019 at 4:30 PM, EmpressAngel said:

This woman is trying to get a man fired to steal his roles that her voice is completely unsuited for and were never on the table for her range?

I think the narrative is that she's accusing him because she wanted his behind the scenes jobs, like writing or directing or whatever.  But it's weird that he cites that it would've been fine if Sabat or Schemmel took those jobs, even though both of them, especially Sean, have landed on Vic with both boots.  It's apparently only bad if women take harassers' jerbs.

I seem to have missed where Monica finally said what her story was other than "it happened to me," let alone how it's been "proved" false.

One of the things I noticed in a lot of the photos, even of apparently happy fans, is not just that he puts an arm around them or lays a hand on their shoulder, but that he's got them in an iron grip on both shoulders or upper arms.  It's a very possessive, controlling approach, especially when he's behind them.  Even if you were up for a peck on the cheek, that would make most people uncomfortable.

It's also beyond creepy that he uses his fan club as unpaid labor to sell his merch at cons, staffing tables, collecting money for him and handing it over to him at the end of the day.

He had so many chances to change his behavior but didn't, and even then I might've been willing to cut him some last-chance slack if his apologies sounded genuinely contrite and sincere, but despite his being an actor he couldn't even pull that off.  He still either doesn't think he did anything wrong, or he firmly believes he's entitled to behave that way because he's a "star."

I imagine he can still find work in games, since the dudebros will be on his side and happy to support his work just to pwn the sjws.

• Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I wonder how long it will be until Aniplex recasts Ed in FMA 03 and FMA:B and then charges an arm and a leg for them?

... old dubs?

Vic has 288 anime roles according to Behind The Voice Actors.  I HIGHLY doubt studios would have the money and time to totally eclipse his past work.

38 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I wonder how long it will be until Aniplex recasts Ed in FMA 03 and FMA:B and then charges an arm and a leg for them?

Vic's old roles aren't going to be recast, not at this point.  That goes doubly true for his bigger roles like in Fullmetal Alchemist.  His voice is so closely associated with Edward Elric that it would be nigh impossible to remove him from that role.

• Like 1