UnevenEdge

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

StarPanda

Watched the live action Beauty and the Beast - 8/10.

Good movie but not great like the animated version.  I thought it would be terrible like Disney's other live action movies.

Loved Gaston, Lefou, Belle, and The Beast in this.  The original songs were very good.

The CGI looked terrible and I didn't care for those characters even though I loved them in the animated version.

Emma Thompson as Ms. Potts and Audra McDonald as the wardrobe bothered me a lot.  They weren't nearly as good as the originals.

Didn't care for their voices.  Even though I heard Emma Watson was a bad singer, I thought she did a good job.  Emma Thompson didn't though imo.

Topaz - 7.5/10

An interesting film, if a bit overlong. I was very interested during the entire sequence involving the black guy getting photos of the documennt in the red briefcase. Easily the highpoint of the film for me. The whole scene with the wife randomly accusing her husband of adultery, correctly, took me out of it for the whole Cuban sequence. I kinda wanted him to fail during it because he was a cheating douche and was glad when his lover died. Things did pick back up again during the end sequence in France. I both kinda liked the reveal of the wife cheating too and disliked it because of course they had to even it out. But I guess I was glad they sorta reconciled in the end. On the whole slightly better than Torn Curtain, but nothing special and probably not worth ever watching again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wonder Woman 8.5/10

Good movie finally DC does it right, although I also liked Man of Steel, but man was this movie a fun ride great action, good chemistry between actors, funny moments. I felt that the there could have been less slow motion. the third act felt a little to cgi heavy but it's Def worth a watch

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men tell no tales

[3 put of 5]

The first three were great, but these last two have been limping along and there's only so much Captain Jack Sparrow can do to save a movie.

Geoffrey Rush's Captain Barbossa was my favorite character though and in my opinion held as much screen presence as Depp's Sparrow...and now he's dead....again >.>

If he manages to stay dead this time, it kills the only other character that was carrying the franchise....they can't save the 6th one with the wooden acting of Knightley and Bloom...

• 2 weeks later...

Super Dark Times - 9/10

I loved this movie - the cinematography and colors are lovely against the narrative of a fatal accident affecting the teenage psyche pre-Columbine. If you've seen River's Edge then you get the basic gist of this movie, but unlike River's Edge, this one is so formidable in style and dread that it becomes magnetic. The dynamic between the two leads reminded me very much of an odd suburban re-imagining of Kaneda and Tetsuo's relationship in Akira, and a lot of the film is so ingrained in its 90's aesthetic that the comparison doesn't feel like a stretch. It's Donnie Darko meets Stephen King and it works, and the soundtrack by Ben Frost fucking rules.

"I have no maximum velocity."

Mama - 6/10

Most of the movie is a 7 for me because I like the emotional aspect of Annabelle beginning to care for the girls, and the older girl wanting to protect her. I also appreciate that it didn't go for annoying jump scares, but there are problems in me getting to care about what any of the other characters are doing when they get screen time. Like the Games of Thrones dude who felt like he was in the movie just to get it advertising. He pretty much did nothing other than be the blood relative to the girls who instigates a few plot points. He also seemed like a really shitty boyfriend by leaving everything to Annabelle to take care of. The ending is what docked it another point though. I'm not bothered that they went that route, but there could have been so much more impact if it had been handled better.

Silver Bullet - 8/10

It's still in my top five werewolf movies, and it hasn't aged badly for me. I like how who the werewolf is gets treated like a real mystery and there aren't obvious hints until the dream scene. Usually, what I like about werewolf movies is how the creature has no control over their actions and has a tragic choice of die or kill everyone they care about. This werewolf definitely has a human's pettiness in its actions which works nicely because of how cold blooded the murderer is without making that person over the top, and you get to see a werewolf beat a man to death with his own bat. The special effects are a little cheesy by today's standards, but it still has some nice horror touches to it like when the sheriff is walking with the bloody kite and then sits down to pray.

• 2 weeks later...

The Last Starfighter - 9/10.

Great film.  I didn't think of watching it until I saw one of Cinemassacre's videos talking about it.

I might have seen it with my parents when I was a little kid but I don't remember it.

Wow, that was probably my favorite movie as a kid. I must have watched it so many times. Total classic. "We're locked into the moon's gravitational pull. What do we do? ... We die."  :robotlol My favorite part.

Thor Ragnarok 10/10

That was probably Stan Lee's best cameo ever.  Pure awesomesauce. Can't wait for Infinity War.

Justice League 8/10

A lot better than I was expecting, given the pretty poor reviews it got from critics. Like that they injected more humor into it -- even if it is an all too obvious attempt to copy off Marvel. Booyah! :) Great to see too in the after credits scene that they're bringing one of my favorite DC villains onto the big screen.

Edited by Dark_Cloud_Overhead
  • Like 1

Justice League 7.5/10

I enjoyed it a fun film. Yes it's not the best but still they did a good job with it. a lot of things felt rushed but I din't mind it as much. It was nice to see humor in it copying marvel or not it felt good. I really wanna watch the directors cur the movie was suppose to be 2hrs and 40 mins so I'm sure there's a lot of scenes of character back stories and further explanations of plot points. Those last 2 end credits scenes tho

One Piece Film: Gold - 7.5/10

More than anything else, it was nice to get acquainted with the franchise once more. I didn't find it overlong, though the final act did drag some and it seemed to contradict the central gimmick of brains not being outmatched by pure strength. Also, the movie had too many references to watersports.

American Assassin [1 out of 5]

Do not watch this movie...there are bad movies and then there are painful to watch movies....

The Hitman's Bodyguard [3 out of 5]

The banter between Sam Jackson and Ryan Reynolds is really all this movie has, but that was almost enough to carry it...the movie could have been great if the rest of story was more flushed out...

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets [3 out of 5]

The two leads were trash and the dialogue was staggeringly awful, but the visuals and the main alien species were amazingly well done...the main alien group stole the show and would, imho, make for a far better focus for a movie than the completely uninteresting Valerian and Laureline...

Your Name

8/10

gorgeous visuals and good twist in what seemed a basic plot from the trailer I guess im not a total fan of the its a happy ending with out the actual conclusion or the fact that it had to be a happy ending definitely worth a watch though not to long either probably couldve been even better if it was fleshed out more

Coco 9/10

Pixar did it again it was funny,emotional, great story great soundtrack. If you speak Spanish you will get a lot of the jokes but even if you don't you will still enjoy the movie 

Also I saw this while they were playing that frozen 20 minute short it was terrible sitting through that 

• Like 1

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - 8/10.

I enjoyed this a lot.  Definitely a good mix of Star Trek, Star Wars, and Men in Black although it's mostly like Star Wars.

Since I heard Star Wars got some of its plot from the Valerian comic, I expected that.    I thought it was more interesting than Star Wars, but not as good as Star Trek.

It's too bad it didn't do better in the box office.

Justice League - 8/10.

Good film.  Cyborg really should have his own movie.  Loved him in this.

It was weird how much the Flash was like Spider-man.  Not in powers but in geekiness and age.  He's way too young. 

Aquaman was awesome too.  I know Green Lantern wasn't in this since the last and only Green Lantern movie did horribly, but it was still strange not to see him.

10 hours ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Bright

8/10

Critics hate it but its a pretty enjoyable movie.  Has a few parts that are rough, but overall well worth a watch.  

i wasn't as impressed as i was hoping i'd be with bright, but it wasn't a disaster like the critics would have you believe. it was a little weak allegorically. but i don't think you can apply that much weight to what felt to me like an action / comedy. my main problem was, suspension of disbelief can only take you so far when the big baddies kill entire leagues of special forces, but the handful of regular-joe heroes are much more formidable.

i dunno. soundtrack was decent, makeup and wardrobe were great, dialogue wasn't horrible, even with all the throwaway lines (kinda felt like will smith from the "independence day" era, which i prefer), and the action / choreography was enjoyable. plus, the universe has a lot of room for expansion, and it seems like series material i would probably enjoy. overall, not bad for a netflix movie. i'll definitely look out for the sequel. 

7/10

Dunkirk 7.5/10

It was good but not as good as people said it was, it was shot well and the soundtrack was good as other Nolan films but it took me a while to get Intot he movie I do like the 2nd half of the movie and I though the ending was great 

Edited by StarPanda

Star Wars the Last Jedi 8.5/10

Ok so I've seen the audience reaction being mixed now I like star wars but I'm not a super huge fan, so I really like this movie there where some scenes where i was really impressed at how they were shot, of course there are some disappointing things like snoke, Finns side quest and some of Luke but it's worth checking out in my opinion