UnevenEdge

rep. from alabama blocks usmc nomination

discolé monade

GOP: We stand with our armed forces, it's the best and full of the best. We do anything for them. Just check out our twitter on those approved federal holidays to see just how much we support them. 

Also GOP: Wait, the military thinks females are actual PEOPLE? When the hell did this happen? Can't allow that, need to scrum everything up before another approved federal holiday pops up. 

• Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

I knew it had to be Tuberville as soon as the headline said Alabama Senator. He stays in the news with the dumb shit he does, like calling white nationalists “Americans” and refusing to call them racist. 

Rachel Scott from ABC News was riding his ass just because he refused to outright say that White Nationalists are racists.  He's every bit the worthless, piece-of-shit, faded football hero her presents himself as.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Rachel Scott from ABC News was riding his ass just because he refused to outright say that White Nationalists are racists.  He's every bit the worthless, piece-of-shit, faded football hero her presents himself as.

Idk if he was trying to say not all the Jan 6 people were racist or white nationalists but he kept shoving his foot in his mouth.  He kept saying he hates racism but then talks about how he was a football coach and “no one has dealt with…erm um I mean been around more minorities than me” might not be an exact quote of what he said but it’s pretty damn close. Man is dumb as hell 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tuberville was going to remove his block on just the Marine Corps commandant nomination, so Chuck Schumer filed cloture on the promotions of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, the Chief of Staff of the Army, and the Commandant of the Marine Corps to confirm all three tonight.

But they still have to go through each nomination individually because of the hold, which means they can't do this for the other like 300+ nominations.

• Like 4

WASHINGTON — Sen. Tommy Tuberville, an Alabama Republican and former football coach, said Tuesday that the U.S. military is "not an equal-opportunity employer."

The military is an equal-opportunity employer, and the Pentagon has an "Office of Equal Employment Opportunity."

Tuberville made his comment about the military on Bloomberg Television's "Balance of Power" as he explained why he was among a minority of senators last week who voted against confirming Air Force Gen. Charles "CQ" Brown Jr. as the next chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Brown is Black.

"I heard some things that he talked, about race and things that he wanted to mix into the military," Tuberville said about Brown.

"Let me tell you something: Our military is not an equal-opportunity employer," he said.

"We're not looking for different groups, social justice groups," Tuberville said. "We don't want to single-handedly destroy our military from within. We all need to be one," he added.

He also said, "Our military is becoming so political that we're going to go south when it comes to readiness."

Tuberville went on to compare the military to a football team, saying "You can't have different groups. Everybody's got to be together to win."

He coached the Auburn University football team for 11 years, starting in 1998 — decades after the Alabama university desegregated in 1964 and started admitting Black students.

The military began desegregating years before that, in 1948, after an executive order from then-President Harry Truman.

And the Defense Department currently promotes a "diverse and inclusive mission-ready total force."

The Pentagon's Office of Equal Employment Opportunity says it "operates to ensure all individuals are provided a full and fair opportunity for employment, career advancement and access to programs without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, disability (physical or mental), gender, age, sexual orientation," and other categories.

Tuberville this year blocked the confirmation of hundreds of military nominees due to his objections to the Pentagon's policy of covering travel expenses and medical leave for service members seeking an abortion.

The Pentagon has said it would continue providing abortion treatment services under certain conditions in its military facilities after the Supreme Court last year overturned Roe v. Wade, the high court's half-century-old ruling that had said there was a constitutional right to an abortion.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/09/27/sen-tuberville-says-military-not-equal-opportunity-employer.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Why do we continue to allow Alabama to exist?

Because otherwise [ insert other backwoods hillbilly state ] would feel too picked on. 

I refuse to take some yutz who apparently needs to keep reliving the 'glory years' of being some failure football coach at every opportunity seriously. Its like the kid that peaked in high school still bragging about how popular he was in high school...40 years ago. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alabama Sen. Tommy Tuberville blocked the confirmation of more than 60 military nominees amid a direct challenge from fellow Senate Republicans. The push yesterday was led by Alaska Sen. Dan Sullivan, who was joined by Sens. Joni Ernst of Iowa, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, Todd Young of Indiana and Mitt Romney of Utah, who spent several hours requesting confirmation votes on each senior officer by unanimous consent. (Politico)

• Like 2

The Senate easily confirmed President Joe Biden’s picks to be the top officers in the Navy and Air Force on Thursday as frustration with Sen. Tommy Tuberville’s blockade of senior military promotions mounts.

The votes were 95-1 to approve both Adm. Lisa Franchetti as chief of naval operations and Gen. David Allvin as Air Force chief of staff. Republican Sen. Roger Marshall of Kansas was the lone senator to oppose both confirmations. Franchetti’s confirmation makes her the first female member of the Joint Chiefs.

Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has also teed up a vote on the nominee to be the second ranking officer in the Marine Corps, Lt. Gen. Christopher Mahoney. That situation took on new urgency on Sunday, when Commandant Gen. Eric Smith was hospitalized with a medical emergency, leaving a three-star general in charge of the service.

Franchetti and Allvin’s approval gives the Joint Chiefs a full slate of Senate-confirmed officers for the first time since July. Both nominees are their respective services’ No. 2 officers and have been filling the top jobs on an acting basis.

The Joint Chiefs have been hobbled by Tuberville’s blanket hold on senior promotions, which the Alabama Republican has imposed in protest of the Pentagon’s abortion travel policy.

Schumer lined up votes on the two Joint Chiefs picks, along with Marine Lt. Gen. Christopher Mahoney to be assistant commandant, after Tuberville and Sen. Dan Sullivan (R-Alaska) forced the majority leader’s hand by circulating cloture petitions themselves on the nominees.

But the nine-month fight over military nominees has reached a fever pitch, and even Tuberville’s fellow Republicans are signaling they’re growing impatient with his tactics.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/11/02/senate-navy-tuberville-franchetti-00125011

Sen. Tommy Tuberville’s spokesperson asked anti-abortion groups to "make clear" GOP senators risk primary challenges if they support an effort to overcome his military holds over a Pentagon abortion policy, according to an email obtained by POLITICO.

The email, written by Tuberville’s communications director Steven Stafford from his Senate email address, made clear that the Alabama Republican’s staff is worried that at least nine Republicans might join with Democrats to pass a resolution that would allow the Senate to bypass Tuberville's holds. It was sent on Oct. 26, after news broke that senators were going to release a resolution that would allow the Senate to more easily stop Tuberville’s holds on more than 300 nominees up for military promotions.

“In my opinion it is imperative for all of the groups to make clear, in some words, that any Republican who votes for this will be primaried,” Stafford wrote. “In my view, if enough mushy middle Republicans come out in opposition, then this is over. But they only need nine squishes. And they will get there if we don’t act.”

When contacted by POLITICO, Stafford disputed the characterization that he was calling for primary challengers to Tuberville's colleagues. In the email, he also makes clear several times it his opinion.

“That was a private email to a small group of people I thought were my friends, I was giving my personal opinion,” Stafford told POLITICO, when asked for comment. ”It is not the opinion of Coach, it was not on behalf of Coach. He was not aware of the email, and I have apologized to him for that.”

It's a rare move for senators to float primaries against their own party members, and rarer still for staffers to do so. Senate ethics rules prohibit the use of "official resources" including staff time and the trappings of the chamber to do political or campaign work. That includes using a Senate email address, and whether Tuberville knew about the correspondence makes no difference. However, the Senate Ethics Committee seldom takes tangible action.

“He did a ‘no no,’” Tuberville said in a brief interview. “It wasn’t my statement. I totally disagree with that. We’re teammates here.”

Tuberville faced his first real intraparty battle on the Senate floor Wednesday night, when GOP senators led by Dan Sullivan of Alaska and Joni Ernst of Iowa tried to individually confirm 61 promotions that Tuberville is holding over the Pentagon’s abortion leave policy. Tuberville blocked every single one for more than four hours, leading Democrats to more overtly threaten passing a resolution from Sens. Jack Reed (D-R.I.) and Kyrsten Sinema (I-Ariz.) that would allow mass promotion of officers.

That resolution would need 60 votes to break a filibuster — something that remains in doubt even after Wednesday night's floor fight.

https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2023/11/02/congress/tuberville-staffers-anti-abortion-group-ask-00124994

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jman said:

Unless they take a formal vote to override him or the like, this will keep happening.  He’s a zealot for Trump.  Zealots don’t negotiate.

It's not so much his adoration of the Annoying Orange and all that he wobbles for, it's also his own personal feelings of being more powerful than everyone else by constantly being the single asshole that's been blocking all the things. Everytime he pulls this crap, it makes the news and I swear he has it in a contract somewhere that the only way you are allowed to report on anything he is responsible for you have to mention how he once coached FOOTBALL. He's rapidly turning into that one drunk dude at the bar that still delivers pizza in his 40's but gotdamn he was a football hero once so show some respect.

I sometimes think that he'd have an absolutely inexcusable public meltdown if his coach title wasn't brought up with every news story and would triple dog dare all the media outlets to try that for a while - he's now just the idiot from Alabama and all his previous experiences are being a colossal douchecanoe as a Rep.

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

The Constitution says absolutely nothing about abortion. 

In fact, Benjamin Franklin included a recipe for inducing abortions in a book he published - 'The American Instructor or Young Man's Best Companion'. It was considered par for the course back then. 

It's amazing how often the same people so concerned about the 'integrity of our military' never served/actively found excuses to not serve when called. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...