UnevenEdge

Happy Writers' Strike Everybody!

i'm just glad that dimension 20 is going to continue with what was already 'written' and continue with the 'ravening war' and the side quests. 

i also think they were able to get a few of the 'game shows' written before all this. 

most of the players are both writers/actors/comedians, so i imagine they are torn between their livelyhood and standing with their fellow writers. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Writers have been watching their salaries decrease over the last 20 years when everyone else in the studio is making more than ever.   Studios are acting like they’re not worried because they have plenty of stuff to release….until they don’t. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In pressing Zaslav-ological news, the WBD CEO is going to be giving a commencement speech at Boston University this weekend, not too far from where I live. How disgusting. The WGA has planned a picket for it, and the local chapter of the DSA plans on joining in. Funnily enough, it wasn't until glossing over the article just now that I found out he went to school there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Does this change even have a point?

Pretty sure the point is they are devaluing the actual jobs of the people involved in films and equating them to the average YouTuber or tiktoker.... thereby paving the way the have things like "writers" removed from credits and allow content creation to be the norm and that makes AI totally ok.

I probably could have worded this better but multitasking 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

They changed the wording from “writers” to “creators”

yeah they’re definitely making room for AI and other dumb shit with that wording 

Just saw the BU commencement ceremony where the graduates booed the CEO or COO of Warner Bros Discovery.  Dude should have just walked off. He kept trying to continue but it only got worse 😆

• Like 3

1 hour ago, discolé monade said:

wait, they are remaking raging bull? hollywood absolutely deserves to burn. 
they have had  original ideas for decades now. *but chop stories to hell and back.

Idt they’re remaking Raging Bull. At least not yet.  They’re just changing wording on credits 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, André Toulon said:

Pretty sure the point is they are devaluing the actual jobs of the people involved in films and equating them to the average YouTuber or tiktoker.... thereby paving the way the have things like "writers" removed from credits and allow content creation to be the norm and that makes AI totally ok.

Yeah, to elaborate, job titles in highly organized sectors aren't just labels. They have very specific contractual/legal meanings and purposes and that's all to protect the workers.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Jman said:

That didn’t take long.  Like, at all.

It should never have been attempted at all. It's important to know exactly who is the director and who is the writer in things. Those are two vastly different things and not every writer can direct or vice versa. 

The only one to be jazzed about being lumped into a 'creators' list would be someone like the dude who got everyone their coffees. It's an important part of the process but it's not 'same line as Martin Scorsese'. :D:D:D 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is why Netflix has been hooking up Korean and Japanese studios with American VFX companies (most notably getting Scanline, the people who do effects for Warner’s big blockbusters, to do Yu Yu Hakusho).

Because if the directors and writers strike, everything stops.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Jman said:

I hope everyone here likes foreign works (then again, we are partially an anime forum) because holy hell.  

We are so getting that All Rounder Meguru series with Netflix money to replace Cobra Kai.

Fuckin d bags 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SwimOdin said:

Welp,  now I’ve got time to watch stuff without needing to see new stuff? Trying to bright side it.

I caught up to season 1 of The Last of Us because of strike, but not having subscriptions to all the services limits my catch-up potential

I think replacing actors has always been the end goal of the AMPTF, as far back as that shitty Final Fantasy movie.  Now you get to replace the writers too?  AI doesn’t have tirades about the climate or heavy handed messaging.  It doesn’t demand diverse casting.  AI actors can’t refuse to show their tits.  AI does whatever you want it to, whenever you want it to.

And that’s creepy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Thats because you arent looking at all the possibilities

I personally cant wait until I can create a full digital AI version of myself so I can have it sit in on all these lame ass "teambuilding" teams and zoom calls.

That’s assuming that corporate America hasn’t already developed an ai that detects when an employee is using ai.

• Like 1