UnevenEdge

Happy Writers' Strike Everybody!

On 7/14/2023 at 10:14 AM, Master-Debater131 said:

Thats because you arent looking at all the possibilities

I personally cant wait until I can create a full digital AI version of myself so I can have it sit in on all these lame ass "teambuilding" teams and zoom calls.

What kind of monsters make you use video on your work calls?

• Like 3

Narrow AI once again being used to replace writers instead of jobs people don’t want.  I’ve said it before, but we should have AI waiters and AI handling grunt work before we replace all our poetry with remixed recycled dreck.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jman said:

Narrow AI once again being used to replace writers instead of jobs people don’t want.  I’ve said it before, but we should have AI waiters and AI handling grunt work before we replace all our poetry with remixed recycled dreck.

I don’t think AI is the problem. It's just a new art form in its infancy. Once it's more advanced and people are able to use it to make actually good art, Hollywood in and of itself will effectively become obsolete since people will be able to produce films without relying on ccorporations to fund it.

The problem is with corporations whose only goal is to make money. It's been a problem from the onset and now we're at the point where Hollywood is soulless with or without AI. Of course they're going to shaft writers and actors as much as humanly possible but after a certain point those very people will be able to do a lot more independently.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

What were the strike politics when Conan/Stewart/Colbert returned to air during the last writers strike?

They intentionally made bad/boring shows - so they were on the air, but it was meant to show how much impact the writers had.

Like, Conan spun his wedding band for a bit... 

Edited by Alchemistress

I think it was accepted - some old news articles make it sound like the networks might have forced their hands, but the wga statement said no writing, no monologues, etc. 

I think the hosts were considered allies, crews got paid - but no one wrote. 
If I recall, SAG wasn't striking at the same time either. 

So in Barrymore's case, she's a union member, she actually has an obligation to SAG not to cross the WGA picket. 
Any actor who appears could be in trouble too - 

Thing is I remember the news of it last time, but since I'm both acting and writing now (non union with aspirations) I'm paying a different kind of attention. 

• Like 3

Yeah, I can't quite figure that one out - 
It's another WGA show, but they are using already-created material and recycled material. 
Contestants aren't (usually) union folks, and any production with existing material when the strike started was allowed to complete production as long as nothing new was written (like no edits on the day which is normal) - and those productions still had issues because the wga picketed and other unions wouldn't cross effectively shutting down production. 

Mayim isn't hosting because she's in SAG (which is what we'd expect from Drew too)

And Jeopardy didn't get a carve out, nor did Barrymore or Maher - like some of the awards shows have by coming to agreements with the writers on what would and wouldn't be allowed. Maybe that's the difference with the shows that are getting crap, they're doing it without making wga agreements. 

ETA: Oh! And I think it's all part of the spirit of the strike vs the rule of the strike. No content means no content. Is it painful for advertisers, networks, studios, consumers, etc - yes, and it's not supposed to be easy. The fact that it's hard/challenging demonstrates the worth the writers and actors bring. 

ETA (2nd): So Maher is IN the WGA, so even without his show writers, he is explicitly not supposed to work for struck companies. Period.
And SAG says Barrymore's show isn't struck SAG content, but I'll reiterate, SAG didn't say this: it is WGA struck content, and SAG isn't supposed to cross. 

Edited by Alchemistress
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jman said:

Several months later, and with all sides at an impasse, a few talk shows have decided to return to air sans writers.

Maher will be trash every day of his life, but Barrymore surprised me. She has a well-loved public persona and plenty of money. Don't know why she's killing the goodwill stacked towards her, but I guess the nepo baby in her won out.

I just went looking, and yeah jeopardy is not SAG-struck so that's the contractual out for Ken. Mayim as I understand it stood down out of solidarity at the end of last season, not out of union obligation.

https://www.thewrap.com/ken-jennings-host-season-40-jeopardy-strikes/

And the producers forced production into gear while glossing over the WGA issue by reusing old WGAW material to shoot filler games. A lot of name-brand champs (within the jeopardy universe) refused to participate in a tournament of champions in this context, so they're doing a "second chance" tournament because there's a much larger pool of possible contestants to account for people refusing out of solidarity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, katt_goddess said:

Jeopardy is basically Trivial Pursuit with buzzers. If you are just reading trivia cards that already exist in the world, you aren't really adding to things yourself. Even re-wording something isn't considered writing. 

I would disagree with that.  Like any board game, there is considerable talent that goes into creating clues for trivia question because you're not "just" rewording the prompt.  Jeopardy can certainly continue with old clue prompts for a short period of time, but it's not ideal.

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

I would disagree with that.  Like any board game, there is considerable talent that goes into creating clues for trivia question because you're not "just" rewording the prompt.  Jeopardy can certainly continue with old clue prompts for a short period of time, but it's not ideal.

I'm not dismissing what normally goes into an actual game of 'Jeopardy'. I was pointing out that under the current circumstances, it can get around the whole writers strike thing by being looked at as just a form of Trivial Pursuit since there's plenty of already existing trivia questions to be used and re-used for 'live' shows until the strike is over and the researchers can get back to hunting up things that are actually worth $1,000 instead of some Sports & Leisure card from Genus V. 

It's been a surprisingly eventful couple of days during the strikes.

Negotiations between the writers and the AMPTP are set to resume tomorrow.

To fill in their schedule, ABC went "Fuck it, Monday Night Football is back on network television."  Ratings are now through the roof.

CBS meanwhile is putting Yellowstone on network television.

1 minute ago, Raptorpat said:

While the WGA has actually warned people to be too wary of positive news not from themselves (as there's a fear the leaks are used as pressure to take a deal), the fact that the WGA and AMPTP issued a joint statement that negotiations were set to continue is an encouraging sign.

8 hours ago, Jman said:

While the WGA has actually warned people to be too wary of positive news not from themselves (as there's a fear the leaks are used as pressure to take a deal), the fact that the WGA and AMPTP issued a joint statement that negotiations were set to continue is an encouraging sign.

That statement reads like this:

I'm still very skeptical how this'll turn out. Blackout anything AMPTP shills like Deadline or Variety have to say and wait for official WGA words of comfort (and maybe even *gasp* joy???)

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

Are they going to wait for SAG-AFTRA to resolve or are they starting immediately?

Depends apparently.  Talk shows might start back up as soon as next week, and SNL is confirmed to return sometime in October.  Ongoing shows however that have struck actors may still be striking in solidarity.

17 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Ive missed literally nothing while theyve been on strike. Like, zero impact on life at all.  But if this somehow means Dune gets moved back to November then Im all for it. If not then I will continue to hate everyone involved for pushing Dune back and wish they would stay away forever.

Once they bump a movie to next year, it never gets moved back.

Especially at this point, it's too close to its original release date (plus SAG has to sort out their shit first).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1