UnevenEdge

Not to be Outdone, Tennessee Dabbles in Fascism, too

PenguinBoss

11 hours ago, André Toulon said:

Couldn't happen to a nicer state.

Wonder what Bama and Ms got cooking...they are the southern trifecta of fucking awful.

I both agree with you and imagine AR being insulted that they aren't on this list.

• Haha 2

I am horrified and pissed off about this, but at the same time, I can't think of more heroic politicians than those three lawmakers who are getting expelled. 

If they are able to run again for their seats, I hope they do. They will be THE state legislature. All those other small, forgettable lawmakers won't be worth mentioning. 

Edited by Icarus27k
  • Like 3

What more proof do we need that the Republican Party is an enemy of the state and that we have to ban it?

A one-party state led only by progressive Democrats is clearly the way to go. When you have right-wing shits win elections and abuse power, what does that say about democracy? That it doesn't work. If I were POTUS, I'd ban the GOP outright and only allow progressive Democrats to hold office. I'd even go so far as to abolish the presidency and declare myself Goddess-Empress and Autocrat of All the Americas for life. My wise rule would be similar to that of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk in Turkey, Josip Broz Tito in Yugoslavia, Lee Kuan Yew in Singapore, or France-Albert René in the Seychelles. In other words, a benevolent dictatorship.

The white woman rep that kept her job by 1 vote straight up said “they kept me because I’m a 60 yo white woman and Jones and Pearson were the youngest reps and black” ofc Rs are denying it claiming her lawyer brought up a good point that she wasn’t as loud as the other two. 

Idaho just passed a bill that would criminalize interstate travel assistance to minors traveling out of state for abortions. New crime “abortion trafficking”

we are no longer living in a democracy we are living in a patchwork of states that allow degrees of freedom and Gd help all those losing the location lottery at birth. 

• Thanks 2

Jones brought up a good point the Rs have a rep that was arrested for domestic violence. They had a rep that was a pedophile and they had a rep that peed, yes you read that right, peed on another Rep’s chair but none of those people were expelled.  Some are even leaders of the state house. Long story short, we all know what this is. 

• Thanks 2

Lolomg one R rep said what the three did was akin to, even worse than Jan 6.  No one died no shots were fired and zero property was damaged, but yup, 3 reps repping the wants of their constituents is worse than Jan 6.  Fuckin clowns. The lot of them 

• Thanks 2

FOX13 also learned that Memphis could lose funding for some major projects if Pearson is re-appointed. According to Shelby County Commissioner Erika Sugarmon, leaders in Nashville threatened to withhold millions of dollars in state funding for projects in the Memphis area if commissioners were to reappoint Pearson.

"We are also being threatened by the state to take away funding, needed funding to run our schools, to run our municipalities," Sugarmon told FOX13. "You know, and so, for example, FedExForum, the promised $350 million, they're talking about snatching that away. So, again, you know this about bullying people into submission. And enough is enough. You know, we've got to stand for something or fall for everything. And we've been bullied by the state for too long now."

https://www.fox13memphis.com/news/memphis-could-lose-funding-for-major-projects-if-pearson-appointed-back-to-seat-commissioner-says/article_a314c216-d582-11ed-9766-8f4212e502ec.html

• Sad 2

In any case the gop is stupid to withhold $ from Memphis. Everything the $ is for probably draws in a lot of tourists. Besides Memphis and Nashville where do people go in TN in enough numbers that if tourists stopped going it would impact the state as a whole 

51 minutes ago, Icarus27k said:

Screenshot_20230410-175754.thumb.png.92ed4ca3a5662807ed04bbd0d8dad872.png

Good. And it was predictable. I don't know what the Tennessee State legislature thought it was going to accomplish by expelling these guys. It was obviously not going to stand.

Hopefully Pearson will be reinstated soon regardless of threats to withhold funding

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Seight said:

The people who voted them out: "Well at least everyone thinks we're racists so...yay us?"

Oh even better since the one big hot shot is now under scrutiny for representing one area while living officially in another area -and- still charging the state for mileage from the old residence to the capital when he basically already lives in the area. And how they like to try to hide their votes on more sensitive matters that might make their voters beat them in the street. 

They decided to make this a circus, they just didn't think they were going to be the main event. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Seight said:

The people who voted them out: "Well at least everyone thinks we're racists so...yay us?"

They’re gonna continue with the racism by not giving the two back their committee assignments because “appointments don’t typically get put on committees”

lol so since this all happened, the internet's been digging up everything on the speaker.

They uncovered that he doesn't love in his district and commits fraud on his per diem reimbursements and a few other things related to that, and I'm just seeing now that yesterday apparently the internet leaked his affair with a lobbyist and tagged his wife in the post.

Too many things I could link so just check this guy's feed: https://twitter.com/BrianManookian

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Raptorpat said:

lol so since this all happened, the internet's been digging up everything on the speaker.

They uncovered that he doesn't love in his district and commits fraud on his per diem reimbursements and a few other things related to that, and I'm just seeing now that yesterday apparently the internet leaked his affair with a lobbyist and tagged his wife in the post.

Too many things I could link so just check this guy's feed: https://twitter.com/BrianManookian

Looking forward to nothing happening to him.

• Thanks 1