UnevenEdge

2024 Presidential Elections: the schadenfreude commences

NewBluntsworth

6 hours ago, tsar4 said:

He sounds very much like a man angling to be a martyr.  I don’t believe he’s expects to lose, but at least a part of him recognizes that he needs to give up on creating coalition to stabilize his support.  He’s leaning into the unpalatable beliefs of his die hard supporters with the tacit understanding that he’s making himself a bigger target for his many many enemies.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, scoobdog said:

He sounds very much like a man angling to be a martyr.  I don’t believe he’s expects to lose, but at least a part of him recognizes that he needs to give up on creating coalition to stabilize his support.  He’s leaning into the unpalatable beliefs of his die hard supporters with the tacit understanding that he’s making himself a bigger target for his many many enemies.

I think that he and the party are preparing to invite a lot of violence if they lose the election. January 6th was just a prelude

3 hours ago, matrixman124 said:

I think that he and the party are preparing to invite a lot of violence if they lose the election. January 6th was just a prelude

January 6th was certainly a prelude to something, but not to what you might expect.  Since it's given that Biden is most certainly going to clamp down on any gatherings before the certification, it's also presumed that similar violence would happen elsewhere, localized in places where people of similar sentiment have influence in the manner of how Nazi Stormtroopers were able to perpetrate Kristallnacht nearly 86 years ago.  Post WWII, the rise of Nazism has been the basic template for any populist uprising, however 2024 America offers an important wrinkle in this - the underserved people that typically number the virulently racist populist movements are, in fact, the targets of Trumpian populism.  January 6 happened where it did specifically because Washington DC and the Capitol are neutral spaces; you're not likely to see the same kind of torch-bearing march in New York City, Chicago, Philadelphia, or even Dallas.  If such violence were to occur, it would be if smaller, far-flung communities in the Deep South, where the political infrastructure is more willing to tolerate such ugliness and where there is far less social upheaval to inflict.  Ultimately, this ends up harking back to my comments to MD about Civil Wars and, ultimately, why such unrest will ultimately damage conservatism more than it will harm the minorities it targets.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

January 6th was certainly a prelude to something, but not to what you might expect.  Since it's given that Biden is most certainly going to clamp down on any gatherings before the certification, it's also presumed that similar violence would happen elsewhere, localized in places where people of similar sentiment have influence in the manner of how Nazi Stormtroopers were able to perpetrate Kristallnacht nearly 86 years ago.  Post WWII, the rise of Nazism has been the basic template for any populist uprising, however 2024 America offers an important wrinkle in this - the underserved people that typically number the virulently racist populist movements are, in fact, the targets of Trumpian populism.  January 6 happened where it did specifically because Washington DC and the Capitol are neutral spaces; you're not likely to see the same kind of torch-bearing march in New York City, Chicago, Philadelphia, or even Dallas.  If such violence were to occur, it would be if smaller, far-flung communities in the Deep South, where the political infrastructure is more willing to tolerate such ugliness and where there is far less social upheaval to inflict.  Ultimately, this ends up harking back to my comments to MD about Civil Wars and, ultimately, why such unrest will ultimately damage conservatism more than it will harm the minorities it targets.

Trump supporters have guns and a lot of Trump supporters are cops. I wish things are going to be that clean but it's going to be scary. And not just in the Deep South.

MAGA pervades everywhere - and yeah they're a minority but they've dug themselves into so many places of power in the last 8 years

It's not going to be over when Trump loses. We need to prepare ourselves as the GOP completely loses its God damn mind

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

Trump supporters have guns and a lot of Trump supporters are cops. I wish things are going to be that clean but it's going to be scary. And not just in the Deep South.

MAGA pervades everywhere - and yeah they're a minority but they've dug themselves into so many places of power in the last 8 years

It's not going to be over when Trump loses. We need to prepare ourselves as the GOP completely loses its God damn mind

Not all cops are Trump supporters, and certainly not the rank and file cops in major metro areas.  I'm not suggesting violence won't happen, just that the ramifications will be spectacularly different.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

We'll see

You've got to be analytical about this.  No one is suggesting that Trump winning won't be the apocalyptic nightmare he himself has presaged with his comments, so it seems counterproductive to make unreasonable assertions about what will happen when he loses.  More importantly, we can't ignore who the victims are in this case -  there are several racial and socioeconomic identities that stand to lose if we approach a violent backlash in the wrong way.

It would be easier if every racist and bigot decided to go for broke, take up arms against his fellow countrymen and the righteous majority rose up to crush them once and for all.  That's not reality.  If you want to really know what was "learned" by conservatives after January 6th, look at the courts and the state legislatures.  The people who the rioters expected to learn from the uprising did in fact learn, and Roe v Wade was overturned and dismantled at the state level because of them.

When Harris wins, the violence outbursts aren't going to happen because there is no need for them.  It will, instead, be a call to shore up the political turf conservatives clawed back in the wake of the SCOTUS's deplorable decision.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, matrixman124 said:

Not so sure about this.  It may be true for a good portion of the GOP voters, but I have the feeling that the majority of the elected party members and major supporters might just breathe a sigh of relief, and be more than happy to move on from Donny.  If he does lose, I think he might be surprised by how the party treats him afterward, especially if he tries to dictate the future of its platform.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, tsar4 said:

Not so sure about this.  It may be true for a good portion of the GOP voters, but I have the feeling that the majority of the elected party members and major supporters might just breathe a sigh of relief, and be more than happy to move on from Donny.  If he does lose, I think he might be surprised by how the party treats him afterward, especially if he tries to dictate the future of its platform.

The voters aren't going to magically see the light. And the GOP is still going to want those voters. All they'll do is try to pretend Trump didn't happen and use dog whistles again

6 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

The voters aren't going to magically see the light. And the GOP is still going to want those voters. All they'll do is try to pretend Trump didn't happen and use dog whistles again

I know you're never going to get everyone on board, but I also know that there's a large contingent of "my family has always voted Republican" types who will just go along with whatever the party does (same goes for the Dems).

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Sieg67 said:

https://apnews.com/article/haitian-immigrants-springfield-charges-trump-vance-012af00a8677da5caed55d03e8779774#:~:text=Updated 1:57 PM PDT, September 24, 2024. COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP)

Haitian group in Springfield, Ohio, files citizen criminal charges against Trump and Vance

Although unlikely, I hope they become cell mates.

• Like 2

In true pig-boy fashion, he deleted the post and will probably try to pretend he wasn't absolutely promoting the myth of the ignorant savage bullshit. 

And just to be an extra bitch about it because I have an extra minute, a breakdown of how every accusation is an admission [ and how ignorance really is bliss until everyone is laughing at your stupid ] - 

Eating pets - looking at some of the more rabid 'followers' of the Orange Lard, pretty sure they eat anything that doesn't move fast enough to get away. Not seeing a whole lot of size 0's in those pics. A lot of no-neck potato-people, definitely. 

Vudu - nice try but this is a streaming service for people to rent movies and stuff online without having to pay a monthly subscription fee. It's a pay-per-view for the new era, you racist twatwaffle.

Nastiest country in the whole western hemisphere - have you been to Mar-A-Lago? Apparently you can't go to that country club without encountering a strange stench that just sneaks up on you while you are trying to enjoy an overpriced ham-n-egg omelet. 

Cults - literally, takes one to know one. You have your entire party worshipping a felon while claiming they are totally the law-n-order party. Must be talking about the tv series because actively defending a conman, rapist, grifter, pedophile, etc etc etc and ignoring all the red flags of said conman, rapist, grifter, pedophile, etc etc etc because anything like reality is treason is definitely a cult. 

Slapstick gangsters - 

Unflattering photos aren’t a good look for Donald Trump - The Boston Globe

• Like 2

On 9/24/2024 at 8:51 PM, matrixman124 said:

Na, the fire that was there on Jan. 6 isn't there anymore. I live in an county that vote almost 70 percent Trump in a state that voted 70 percent Trump. I've seen less than 1/4 the Trump signs I did in 2020. They aren't holding their meetings like they used to. There aren't any Trump caravans parading around like they did in 2020. Whatever there is, it's low energy.

The Trump thing, or even MAGA, it's not a lifelong state of being for most people. It's kind of a rage that burns hot for a little bit but burns out pretty fast. There's some wildfires here and there but it's not what it used to be. The passionate people the GOP are pandering to, they're mostly there just for Trump. They aren't going to be there after he's gone and if they are, they aren't going to be a majority for long.

I don't want to jinx things with my words but if Trump loses, I really don't see the GOP putting much of an effort into saving him this time. He's bad for business. Outside of a few really red House Rep districts, the prize are mildly conservative and moderate voters, which together make up about 75% of the electorate. If Trump loses, I think you'll see a leadership fight in the GOP that will determine if it remains a viable party (purging Trump appointees and far right internet types from leadership vs. purging the 'winning matters & you can't win with assholes & nuts' crowd from leadership). It'll be interesting to see ... if Trump loses of course.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2024 at 8:46 PM, Raptorpat said:

i have not been following but it's been going on all day

I can't take someone who uses religious buzzwords seriously. Licthman has been right 9 out of 10 times, Silver is just trying to ride his coattails.

ETA: It looks like Silver accurately predicted 2012 and 2020. But in 2016, he only gave Trump a 28.6% chance to win. He's huffing his own farts.

Edited by Blackrose321
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Blackrose321 said:

I can't take someone who uses religious buzzwords seriously. Licthman has been right 9 out of 10 times, Silver is just trying to ride his coattails.

ETA: It looks like Silver accurately predicted 2012 and 2020. But in 2016, he only gave Trump a 28.6% chance to win. He's huffing his own farts.

I don't think Silver is trying to ride his coattails, Lichtman and Silver belong to two utterly different spheres. Lichtman is in the academic sphere and Silver is from the betting sphere, they just happen to both try to predict presidential races. Silver would probably be the one with the coattails since nobody paid attention to Lichtman until he predicted Donald Trump's win. I doubt any coattails come into play because Silver is pollster and lives and dies by them while Lichtman ignores polls and uses economic and political keys to make his predictions.

Silver is trying to sell a book right now, one that seems to be some sort of philosophical/sociological tract even though he's neither a philosopher no sociologist or even a journalist. Also, Silver is trying to prove something with his new model after parting ways with 538. If he has another bust, he and probably the whole polling industry will take another credibility hit. Polling is a big business and the pollsters want to remain relevant in the eyes of the media and the public even though there's a new poll almost every day now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1