UnevenEdge

2024 Presidential Elections: the schadenfreude commences

NewBluntsworth

1 minute ago, Jman said:

Well if nothing else, Taylor Swift did get a significant amount of registrations.  It also helps that the so-called Red Wave of 2022 fizzled out thanks to younger voters.

I'm not a fan but I do love that about her and I hope she keeps it up. I hope her fans actually follow through with voting too, that would really chap Trump's ass. Lol

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Whelp...........

this tweet has the best angled video i've seen though i'm having trouble hearing the audio with no headset. he and suspenders are just crossing the metaphorical aisle via goofing off - surely no one will deliberately misinterpret it by using the still out of context.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blackrose321 said:

The right also tends to skew older and we know young voters are a large, and largely useless demographic. They'll post progressive diatribes on Twatter but they won't show up when they're really needed. Then they'll go back on Twatter and post more useless bullshit.

About half of them voted in 2020 which was an 11 point increase but goddamn did shit have to get dystopian first for them to bother. Hopefully that number remains high this year.

the problem with young voters is that it's literally a new crop of voters every election cycle, last cycle's young voters aren't this cycle's young voters. so the lesson needs to be taught every single go around.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

the problem with young voters is that it's literally a new crop of voters every election cycle, last cycle's young voters aren't this cycle's young voters. so the lesson needs to be taught every single go around.

Yeah and I'm not sure how you do that. Given the prevalence of social media, and how much of it revolves around politics, I would think that young people are aware but it doesn't translate into votes. But I haven't done any deep dives into why that is and how to increase real engagement.

ETA: I think the age group is usually defined as 18-24 so someone who was 18-20 in 2020 would be 22-24 in the next election. So there's some amount of overlap but I'm sure there are differences there that aren't reflected when you group 18 and 24 together. But I haven't checked for those numbers.

Edited by Blackrose321
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Blackrose321 said:

Yeah and I'm not sure how you do that.

The think the base answer is simply teaching civics in grade school and deliberately incorporating registering to vote and ongoing election discussions into high school civics. Anything else that parties do to organize/activate the youth is on top.

The problem is that schools/teachers will be accused of indoctrinating kids to vote one way or another regardless of where the schools are.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

I sincerely wonder whether he realizes it went bad or whether he genuinely believes his yesmen and snap newsmax polls

If The Apprentice is to be believed, Roy Cohn essentially preached an absolute form of perception becomes reality and manifestation.  Essentially, if you keep repeating something over and over again, and utterly refuse to acknowledge anything that says otherwise, it will become true, at least to the public viewpoint.

Or to paraphrase another author - The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

The think the base answer is simply teaching civics in grade school and deliberately incorporating registering to vote and ongoing election discussions into high school civics. Anything else that parties do to organize/activate the youth is on top.

The problem is that schools/teachers will be accused of indoctrinating kids to vote one way or another regardless of where the schools are.

I'd maybe say before any of that, we could start with having a system that isn't full of clowns. Prolly a lot easier to engage new voters if they're not going into it having, for all their lives, seen nothing but buffoonery and incompetence. We got a whole generation coming into this voting block having just witnessed the government trying to ban TikTok, for example.....

Or maybe some of that onus can be placed on the media outlets that thrive on the worst of humanity, wallowing in the outrageous while our successes quietly wither in silence.

Idk. Just. Getting folks involved in the system feels like a complete mixed bag at best if their perception of the system is that it's completely out of touch with reality.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

Idk. Just. Getting folks involved in the system feels like a complete mixed bag at best if their perception of the system is that it's completely out of touch with reality.

I'd reply that the wholesale changes (short of burning it all down) can only happen from the bottom up. There are obvious limitations but I think that'd be the best way to start.

• Like 2

Vice President Kamala Harris raised $47 million in the first 24 hours following her debate with former President Donald J. Trump on Tuesday night, a sum that will likely expand a widening funding gap between the two campaigns.

That tally, shared by the Harris campaign with The New York Times, included donations from 600,000 people. It is her largest 24-hour fund-raising period since an initial burst of donations when she entered the race in July and raised $81 million on the first day.

Ms. Harris already had a significant financial edge over Mr. Trump entering September. Her operation said it had $404 million cash on hand, while Mr. Trump had $295 million. Ms. Harris’s campaign nearly tripled the Trump fund-raising in August.

Presidential debates often become fund-raising bonanzas because of their audience: 67 million people watched Tuesday’s contest live, not including likely millions more watching on a variety of websites and streaming platforms. And Ms. Harris was widely seen as commanding the performance, with the rush of donations evidence of Democratic enthusiasm.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/12/us/politics/harris-debate-donations.html

• Like 2

"No leader should ever associate with someone who spreads this kind of ugliness, this kind of racist poison," Jean-Pierre said.

Loomer flew with Trump to his Tuesday debate in Pennsylvania and was in New York with him and his team on Wednesday for a commemoration of the Sept. 11, 2001, al Qaeda attacks, according to video and photo footage.

• Like 3

so i don't follow crazy this close. MTG is as close to wanting to know..

but JFC are we fucking serious? as a country? are WE FUCKING SERIOUS?

those people. wow....those people are just the weirdest of the worst kind of weir

racist fucking pieces of shite, that obviously didn't have their ass beat by a ghetto ass bitch. 

“Even on her death bed, this ghetto bitch couldn’t keep President Trump’s name out of her disgusting mouth,” the conservative TV host wrote in a series of posts on X. Loomer initially reposted one of Jackson’s last posts; a July 20 comment criticizing the former president.

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX), a progressive voice in Congress who fought for civil and women’s rights, died Friday evening at 74, shortly after she announced she was battling pancreatic cancer.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

"No leader should ever associate with someone who spreads this kind of ugliness, this kind of racist poison," Jean-Pierre said.

Loomer flew with Trump to his Tuesday debate in Pennsylvania and was in New York with him and his team on Wednesday for a commemoration of the Sept. 11, 2001, al Qaeda attacks, according to video and photo footage.

Yeahapapap

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [classic swim] said:

Yeah I’m sure that’s what that is.

If they’re complicit with MAGA and it goes down to defeat, their grift is gone.  The GOP can’t exist the way it does unless it goes back to saying the quiet part quiet lest an actual Conservative Party, as in real, Nixon-era conservatism, not Reagan era “fuck you, got mine” conservatism, be formed from the ashes of disillusioned party supporters who weren’t on board with sharing the space with conspiracy theorists.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/taylor-swift-harris-walz-endorsement-003928947.html

Meanwhile, the Swifty registration continues to skyrocket.

Edited by Jman
  • Like 2

On 9/12/2024 at 11:23 AM, discolé monade said:

and yet...those people, like MD, also stand for nothing, other than the chaos they truly hope ensues. 

those people don't have answers...but they sure think they are funny with the rhetoric. 

those people are so fucking weird. 

The Ohio town at the center of a culture war over debunked claims about Haitian migrants was forced to close City Hall on Thursday after it received a bomb threat, it announced on its website and social media channels. ... In a press conference Thursday afternoon, Springfield police said that at least 6 buildings, including an elementary school, were closed and investigated as a result of the threat.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

wtf is even happening with Trump supporters?

They insist Trump won the debate but then they say the moderators were biased. They insist that he won yet claim she knew the answers before the debate started. Now it’s she had special earrings to receive answers?  I mean really, wtf?  Why all the excuses if they’re so secure in the fact that he won?  If people were cheating for Harris, then how do they explain away the dumb shit he said all on his own?

I don’t understand this alternate reality some people are living in.  They still insist that she’s the dumb one yet Trump’s vocabulary doesn’t go above the 5th grade.  Fuckin bat shit. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Saddest shit is the media isn’t doing a good job with the Springfield craziness. None, except PBS, are stressing that the migrants are actually revitalizing the town.   Not that town isn’t struggling to meet costs associated with translation services but overall they’re a net benefit 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

wtf is even happening with Trump supporters?

They insist Trump won the debate but then they say the moderators were biased. They insist that he won yet claim she knew the answers before the debate started. Now it’s she had special earrings to receive answers?  I mean really, wtf?  Why all the excuses if they’re so secure in the fact that he won?  If people were cheating for Harris, then how do they explain away the dumb shit he said all on his own?

I don’t understand this alternate reality some people are living in.  They still insist that she’s the dumb one yet Trump’s vocabulary doesn’t go above the 5th grade.  Fuckin bat shit. 

It's a cult, and we have to break it up. When Trump loses in November it will finally be over . . . until the next cult leader inevitably comes, of course.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/28/2024 at 1:43 AM, Distortedreasoning said:

the same one i supported in 2016, jill stein. 

https://www.jillstein2024.com/platform

3 hours ago, Raptorpat said:

Well.. maybe there's something to be said about the relative awareness that could be a reflection of a candidate's supporters....

I mean, in fairness, maybe not quite as agreeable with the statement that an "alternative to the status quo" is a better left... not that I'm against the idea, but that's not exactly doing anything as far as alternatives go.. unless she's advocating building up a pocket in the left that intends to splinter off or something.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

Trump loves doing that shit. Repurposing anything he feels is against him and turns it into a pro Trump thing.  Sometimes he acts like it was always his thing. Like the “fake news” phrase. That was originally about him and the claims he made. 

• Like 5