UnevenEdge

One Piece is BACK on Toonami this Saturday

3ngag3

You know what? I think I'm gonna sit this one out. If they were starting right from where they left off in 2017, I'd have been game to get back in, but... yeah.

I hope you all enjoy One Piece's return. I, on the other hand, will continue waiting for the next show to be announced.

[c'mon, oddtaxi or sonny boy]

Edited by PokeNirvash

looking back at this video with today's announcement is just weird.....the vibe was that one piece wasn't returning and that they couldn't justify paying toei's asking price for a show that was filler on the block not even sure  if things will be any different now

it's been five years and that's enough time for any one piece fan to just say "Screw it...I'm gonna watch this on funimation's service"

Edited by CountFrylock

Woah nelly! I was actually thinking this might happen, but after Toonami picked up a sequel season plus a brand new show, it seemed they were focusing on shorter shows, so it didn't come to mind for me. Picking things back up at the timeskip seems like the best way to do this, but my pipe dream idea was that they'd go even further and start airing episodes as recent as Funi has dubbed. I think they're on Dressrosa right now.

It's a testament to how things are right now in a pandemic-addled world that Toonami is bringing back a show they've had to drop multiple times dating back to the CN era. And hey, whatever helps to smooth out the schedule after the absolute chaos of the past few months. I feel like we're at the nexus of possibilities right now. Who knows what wild new show they'll grab next? For what it's worth, DeMarco says to maybe expect another announcement next week.

Never say never they say.

I don't know how the hell they pulled this off. Toei must have been feeling generous.

I'm a huge fan of One Piece so I'm naturally stoked that this is happening but I'd be lying if I said I thought this was the best show they could have picked up right now.

But I'm cautiously optimistic. One Piece is arguably more popular in the US now than it was between 2013 and 2017 and the bar is real low now. But this will surely test the limits.
Starting at the time-skip is a gamble to be sure. If the prior viewers didn't continue where Toonami left off nearly 5 years ago then they have quite a lot of episodes to watch before... Saturday. It's a very tall order. And if those viewers did continue it, did they stop at 516? I highly doubt it. There's even a One Piece watch-a-long on Twitter that formed when Toonami took it off the air which is 200 something episodes further than that. 

Their best hope is people want to watch those episodes again and also that new viewers will find the show approachable enough. To that I say, it's at least a better place to start than the Davy Back Fight and the Foxy Pirates. But you're still missing huge moments that define the series. At least thematically it will feel right that the Straw Hats are reuniting in these episodes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

After giving it some extra thought, after reading others' justifications for the situation behind its return point, I've decided I'll watch the two One Piece episodes this Saturday. How much I'm able to enjoy them despite not seeing the 132 episodes skipped will determine whether or not I keep with it. Knowing me and anime, chances are I'll stick around.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Sketch said:

Never say never they say.

I don't know how the hell they pulled this off. Toei must have been feeling generous.

I'm a huge fan of One Piece so I'm naturally stoked that this is happening but I'd be lying if I said I thought this was the best show they could have picked up right now.

But I'm cautiously optimistic. One Piece is arguably more popular in the US now than it was between 2013 and 2017 and the bar is real low now. But this will surely test the limits.
Starting at the time-skip is a gamble to be sure. If the prior viewers didn't continue where Toonami left off nearly 5 years ago then they have quite a lot of episodes to watch before... Saturday. It's a very tall order. And if those viewers did continue it, did they stop at 516? I highly doubt it. There's even a One Piece watch-a-long on Twitter that formed when Toonami took it off the air which is 200 something episodes further than that. 

Their best hope is people want to watch those episodes again and also that new viewers will find the show approachable enough. To that I say, it's at least a better place to start than the Davy Back Fight and the Foxy Pirates. But you're still missing huge moments that define the series. At least thematically it will feel right that the Straw Hats are reuniting in these episodes.

As long as they're covered in flashbacks going forward, I think it will probably be alright.

As for this show's permanent timeslot, I believe it will be 2 AM when something else knocks Ass Class down to 1 and maybe Made In Abyss down to 1:30 on 1/29. The 1:30 offering is most likely just a one-time thing.

Toonami is wisely airing Toys In The Attic alone, but Cowboy Bebop is likely to re-expand to the whole 3 AM hour for the Jupiter Jazz saga next week, even if just for one night. If I'm right, we'll have 6 premieres of different shows from 12-3 AM for the first time since early October!

Edited by OwlChemist81

I wasn't expecting One Piece. If anything I was expecting Boruto, and it still might show up after Shippuden finishes it's run.

Starting after the time skip makes some sense, and you get a couple really decent arcs to start with, before it goes off the rails utterly.

I guess DeMarco has managed to do good, so props to him for the effort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 3ngag3 said:

He also said that they're trying to make another run at Fairy Tail which is...interesting because not only is the show finished, it's also kinda old by their standards.

It’s old (the guy’s follow up series is on Netflix, Eden’s Zero, which is Fairy Tail IN SPAAAAAACE at least on the surface) and it’s got a lot of boobage and fanservice by Adult Swim standards (again, something retained in Eden’s Zero).  Interesting if they do get it.

Edited by Jman
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, 3ngag3 said:

He also said that they're trying to make another run at Fairy Tail which is...interesting because not only is the show finished, it's also kinda old by their standards.

Toonami never seems to “give up” on getting older shows they have had their eye on. Case in point, One Piece. I swear they will try to get JoJo back if Netflix ever releases it’s death grip on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I figured as much that the changing TV landscape allowed for this. Also, it's always nice to get the rights to a show straight from the JP side, especially given how stormy the waters of English licensing have been lately.

Fairy Tail would be... interesting. I've read the manga, and while it's objectively okay, it feels like an assault to my senses. Seemingly every other line has three or four exclamation points attatched, and there are lots of wild takes. It's like someone turned on the radio in my brain and put a megaphone next to it. I understand that this might be the series' growing pains, but it's made me put the series on hold for now. Does the anime handle it any better? Either way, it's another long runner, and (to repeat my previous post) Toonami could use an anchor in the middle of this storm.

[boyoyoyo]

Didn't expect One Piece to come back to television, but I guess their chosen starting point (post-timeskip) makes sense, it's the easiest spot to jump into for new people.  

Doubt I'll be watching though because while I do follow the manga, I've heard the anime's pacing can be pretty bad.  😅

• Confused 1

Thanks, Sketch. It's always good to have some blanks filled in, even when you're as overly saturated with big spoilers as I am from browsing TV Tropes and /a/ for over a decade.

Spoiler

Since we're now past the two big ones, here's a Nedroid comic refitted to include OP characters that I just really like.

Q1vZW1h_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

• Haha 2

On 1/20/2022 at 4:11 PM, Sketch said:

Toonami never seems to “give up” on getting older shows they have had their eye on. Case in point, One Piece. I swear they will try to get JoJo back if Netflix ever releases it’s death grip on it.

Well, Netflix lost 20% of its market cap today, so its supply of "Fuck You" money might be drying up.

• Thanks 1

Advanced schedules are showing double One Piece will stick around for at least 3 weeks. It will however move down a half hour on February 5th when Shenmue bumps AC and MiA down a half hour as well. Shippuden drops one episode and only airs at 3am followed by Bebop reruns. Place your bets on whether or not the extra One Piece is keeping a spot warm for something Black Lotus reruns, something else or is actually something they'll keep going for a while. With 500+ episodes to air (250+ that are currently dubbed) they have plenty of episodes to run for years if their deal with Toei is so good that they can afford to run two episodes a week. There are certainly worse ways to fill the 2am hour and only Naruto and reruns would get stuck airing after it so that's fine by me. But that said, I wasn't expecting double One Piece to last more than one or two weeks so I can hardly judge what their intentions are but you wont see me complaining. The pacing of Fishman Island onward would greatly benefit from back to back episodes, maybe they think so as well.

• Like 1

Trying to make another run at FairyTail? I thought it wasn't good enough for Toonami? If they had gotten it back in 2009 it probably would have been a big hit for them on the level of Inuyasha. It's kind of a gateway anime for people that want something simple and fun. And boobs.

I will continue never ever watching One Piece. Now that the ratings for everything is god awful, they said hey... fuck it!

• Haha 2

I knew it was just a matter of time before they got One Piece back, but I gotta admit, I never thought it would could back this soon. I thought it would be at least a few more years towards around the time when it was getting closer to wrapping up in Japan before it happened. Anyway, I watched ahead to the where the New World part was about to begin which is right after Fishman Island, so them skipping forward from where they left off works kind of perfectly for me. Really happy to see they're doubling up on it for a while. I hope they keep that up so it won't take to long hopefully before they get to episodes I haven't seen yet.

1 hour ago, Top Gun said:

Fairy Tail is what happens when someone wants really really hard to be Oda but doesn't realize that they're not talented.

But dammit, Mashima keeps trying! And he got three anime adaptations and a J-drama cameo for one of them out of it, which only proves that springtime can and does exist for hacks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 3ngag3 said:

He got it right for the first half of Rave Master before he discovered that if teens are horny enough, they'll buy anything no matter how shitty the story turns out.

I don't know what you're talking about.

I was going to link 10 other fairytail videos that were much worse, but they were all age restricted.

• Haha 1

Wow, I would never have expected One Piece to come back.

Toonami must be really desperate to bring One Piece back, since it was removed due to bad ratings.  I wonder if it's just a placeholder for something else.

At least I watched to 511 after it got canceled, so I don't have to much to watch to catch up.  But that was still years ago.  Some flashbacks and recaps will be welcome for once.

Edited by ben0119

On 1/19/2022 at 10:43 PM, Blatch said:

Woah nelly! I was actually thinking this might happen, but after Toonami picked up a sequel season plus a brand new show, it seemed they were focusing on shorter shows, so it didn't come to mind for me. Picking things back up at the timeskip seems like the best way to do this, but my pipe dream idea was that they'd go even further and start airing episodes as recent as Funi has dubbed. I think they're on Dressrosa right now.

It's a testament to how things are right now in a pandemic-addled world that Toonami is bringing back a show they've had to drop multiple times dating back to the CN era. And hey, whatever helps to smooth out the schedule after the absolute chaos of the past few months. I feel like we're at the nexus of possibilities right now. Who knows what wild new show they'll grab next? For what it's worth, DeMarco says to maybe expect another announcement next week.

I thought we were supposed to get a new premiere every week of this month?  Now it's maybe?  Eh, I should have known.

On 1/20/2022 at 2:42 PM, Sketch said:

DeMarco on why One Piece is back:

In short. FUNi/Sony bad. Toei good. I figured as much.

What happened to their relationship with Funimation?!  They used to be their best partner!

On 1/20/2022 at 2:54 PM, 3ngag3 said:

Really?  I remember people were requesting Fairy Tail like crazy and they would never pick it up.  I recall at one point Demarco saying he never even saw it before.  So it really didn't seem like something that was on their radar, regardless of fan requests.  But NOW they want it?  They should have struck while the iron was hot!  It's a little late at this point to be going for Fairy Tail.  But I guess at least my request would finally be granted.

8 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Honestly for like the first year of Fairy Tail's existence I thought there was just a weird trend where people were editing Nami to have blonde hair.

Lucy and Nami don't even look alike!  Besides, One Piece is difficult to fap to, due to the wonky art style.  Fairy Tail has more realistic body proportions.

e7b7d7194ae04e671450e9d0d12c13b2.png

story-about-nami.png

Here is some fan art I found of Nami.

d92555b7c2a8254eaddfd20a58a53b3d45ea9f97.thumb.png.14fa5332a3212510ba920e1f3a50c237.png

Too bad Nami doesn't look like that!

5 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I thought we were supposed to get a new premiere every week of this month?  Now it's maybe?  Eh, I should have known.

What happened to their relationship with Funimation?!  They used to be their best partner!

Really?  I remember people were requesting Fairy Tail like crazy and they would never pick it up.  I recall at one point Demarco saying he never even saw it before.  So it really didn't seem like something that was on their radar, regardless of fan requests.  But NOW they want it?  They should have struck while the iron was hot!  It's a little late at this point to be going for Fairy Tail.  But I guess at least my request would finally be granted.

Lucy and Nami don't even look alike!  Besides, One Piece is difficult to fap to, due to the wonky art style.  Fairy Tail has more realistic body proportions.

e7b7d7194ae04e671450e9d0d12c13b2.png

story-about-nami.png

Here is some fan art I found of Nami.

d92555b7c2a8254eaddfd20a58a53b3d45ea9f97.thumb.png.14fa5332a3212510ba920e1f3a50c237.png

Too bad Nami doesn't look like that!

what happened to the funimation relationship is that sony probably wants to keep the newer funimation content exclusive to the funimation now streaming service

demarco confirmed sony was blocking them from airing demon slayer season 2 and several other shows fell through around the same time

so it's no doubt other funimation titles they tried to grab before sony forbid them from touching any of them because they see cable tv as irrelevent and why bring anything to toonami when they can make people come to streaming to watch the newest shows? excluding attack on titan due to that ancient toonami contract obviously

17 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

what happened to the funimation relationship is that sony probably wants to keep the newer funimation content exclusive to the funimation now streaming service

demarco confirmed sony was blocking them from airing demon slayer season 2 and several other shows fell through around the same time

so it's no doubt other funimation titles they tried to grab before sony forbid them from touching any of them because they see cable tv as irrelevent and why bring anything to toonami when they can make people come to streaming to watch the newest shows? excluding attack on titan due to that ancient toonami contract obviously

https://blog.funimation.com/2017/08/01/funimation-agrees-acquired-sony-pictures-television-networks/

Sony bought Funimation on October 27, 2017.  Why would the relationship suddenly go to shit now?

I mean, is Toonami really considered a form of competition to Funimation Now, though?  Sadly, the shows Toonami gets are bigger than Toonami itself.  Toonami isn't making names anymore.  Toonami needs these shows more than the shows need Toonami nowadays.  Streaming services for anime like Funimation Now and Crunchyroll are also vastly more known than Toonami, and especially the more general ones like Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Max.  There is also a higher barrier to entry with a cable bill that costs hundreds of dollars a month, to watch Toonami.  So, would Sony really care that much about shows being on Toonami and not just Funimation Now?

Also it's not very wise of Demarco to openly complain about the companies he's trying to make deals with.  That's not likely to get them to be nicer to him and cooperate more.

5 hours ago, ben0119 said:

https://blog.funimation.com/2017/08/01/funimation-agrees-acquired-sony-pictures-television-networks/

Sony bought Funimation on October 27, 2017.  Why would the relationship suddenly go to shit now?

I mean, is Toonami really considered a form of competition to Funimation Now, though?  Sadly, the shows Toonami gets are bigger than Toonami itself.  Toonami isn't making names anymore.  Toonami needs these shows more than the shows need Toonami nowadays.  Streaming services for anime like Funimation Now and Crunchyroll are also vastly more known than Toonami, and especially the more general ones like Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Max.  There is also a higher barrier to entry with a cable bill that costs hundreds of dollars a month, to watch Toonami.  So, would Sony really care that much about shows being on Toonami and not just Funimation Now?

Also it's not very wise of Demarco to openly complain about the companies he's trying to make deals with.  That's not likely to get them to be nicer to him and cooperate more.

two things changed....1: sony acquired  crunchyroll and   2: the demon slayer mugen train movie made so much money

that second one most likely led to them wanting to keep DS S2 exclusively streaming because it's a major money maker and toonami likely couldn't afford to pay the price tag they'd put on it even if they were willing to give it to toonami

so it's not so much that sony considers them competition...as much as it is they see no incentive in working with toonami now i guess

seeing how much money they can make from demon slayer if they just kept it to themselves and since demon slayer wasn't the only show toonami was denied

it's likely that toonami got denied a bunch of funimation shows as they are the dominant dub company in the united states and typically air the most content on the block