UnevenEdge

One Piece is BACK on Toonami this Saturday

3ngag3

Not even gonna argue that in the slightest. My sister's become a huge Demon Slayer fan in the past year - even cosplayed as Mitsuri for Halloween - and from what little I can tell, she got into it through Netflix. Compared to me, who just watched it through Toonami because I've been regularly watching [as] anime premieres for over a decade at that point.

Edited by PokeNirvash

On 1/24/2022 at 4:30 AM, PokeNirvash said:

And as far as differences go, they're minor stuff.

Lots of other areas as well.  In general that fan art (and most fan art) "normalizes" the look of most One Piece characters so they don't look so impossible in their anatomy.

On 1/24/2022 at 7:51 AM, CountFrylock said:

two things changed....1: sony acquired  crunchyroll and   2: the demon slayer mugen train movie made so much money

that second one most likely led to them wanting to keep DS S2 exclusively streaming because it's a major money maker and toonami likely couldn't afford to pay the price tag they'd put on it even if they were willing to give it to toonami

so it's not so much that sony considers them competition...as much as it is they see no incentive in working with toonami now i guess

seeing how much money they can make from demon slayer if they just kept it to themselves and since demon slayer wasn't the only show toonami was denied

it's likely that toonami got denied a bunch of funimation shows as they are the dominant dub company in the united states and typically air the most content on the block

How does buying Crunchyroll effect things?

So Sony just doesn't feel the extra buzz and word of mouth, viewers, etc is worth the effort to license the shows to Toonami?  If that is the case, that is a real shame, and Toonami is definitely going to have to do scramble if they can't get many, or at least not the new popular, Funimation shows, going forward.

On 1/24/2022 at 9:05 AM, Jman said:

The Demon Slayer thing is a big one since S1 aired on Toonami, but it didn’t become a national phenomenon until it left Toonami to air on Netflix.  From that POV, Toonami actively inhibited its popularity.

That is ice cold, if true.  The idea that Toonami not only doesn't even add a little bit of extra awareness of shows, but actively stops them from becoming more popular than they could!

On 1/24/2022 at 8:52 PM, PokeNirvash said:

Not even gonna argue that in the slightest. My sister's become a huge Demon Slayer fan in the past year - even cosplayed as Mitsuri for Halloween - and from what little I can tell, she got into it through Netflix. Compared to me, who just watched it through Toonami because I've been regularly watching [as] anime premieres for over a decade at that point.

Is your sister younger than you?  I know a lot of younger anime fans don't even know Toonami is a thing, sadly.  When Toonami was a major factor of helping anime get as popular as it has gotten in the United States. 

4 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Lots of other areas as well.  In general that fan art (and most fan art) "normalizes" the look of most One Piece characters so they don't look so impossible in their anatomy.

How does buying Crunchyroll effect things?

So Sony just doesn't feel the extra buzz and word of mouth, viewers, etc is worth the effort to license the shows to Toonami?  If that is the case, that is a real shame, and Toonami is definitely going to have to do scramble if they can't get many, or at least not the new popular, Funimation shows, going forward.

because now sony has funimation aniplex and crunchyroll they can charge whatever they want for those shows and toonami will either have to pay up or find something else

if sony isn't interested in working with toonami anymore then that's a lot of content toonami wouldn't be able to access outside maybe older titles that are on the cheap

Sony most likely doesn't see the benefit in airing demon slayer season 2 on cable television when it's popularity means people will happily subscribe to a streaming service to watch the dub

On 1/27/2022 at 4:44 AM, PokeNirvash said:

By two and a half to three years. She's aware of Toonami - I brought up the broadcasts of Alicization eps 6 and 10 to her during a conversation we had about SAO - but she doesn't watch it.

Oh ok.  I was going to say, if she was much younger, she might not even know about Toonami.

On 1/27/2022 at 7:13 AM, CountFrylock said:

because now sony has funimation aniplex and crunchyroll they can charge whatever they want for those shows and toonami will either have to pay up or find something else

if sony isn't interested in working with toonami anymore then that's a lot of content toonami wouldn't be able to access outside maybe older titles that are on the cheap

Sony most likely doesn't see the benefit in airing demon slayer season 2 on cable television when it's popularity means people will happily subscribe to a streaming service to watch the dub

I hope this is just for Demon Slayer and not the whole libraries of Funimation, Crunchyroll, and Aniplex.

But Demarco said in the past that old shows are no cheaper than new ones.  That's what he said when people complained about Toonami not bringing back any classic shows when it returned.

On 1/30/2022 at 2:43 AM, ben0119 said:

Oh ok.  I was going to say, if she was much younger, she might not even know about Toonami.

I hope this is just for Demon Slayer and not the whole libraries of Funimation, Crunchyroll, and Aniplex.

But Demarco said in the past that old shows are no cheaper than new ones.  That's what he said when people complained about Toonami not bringing back any classic shows when it returned.

considering demarco's tweets about having to potentially air older shows less shonen content and more shorter series/originals

it's clear things are changing and demarco isn't sure how toonami can keep people tuning into toonami in this age of streaming

so many people online don't even know toonami still exists they think it's something that died long ago and never came back

On 2/1/2022 at 11:44 AM, CountFrylock said:

considering demarco's tweets about having to potentially air older shows less shonen content and more shorter series/originals

it's clear things are changing and demarco isn't sure how toonami can keep people tuning into toonami in this age of streaming

so many people online don't even know toonami still exists they think it's something that died long ago and never came back

Maybe things changed now and older shows are cheaper, or Toonami will have no choice but to air older shows, regardless of price, because most of the new desirable titles will be out of their grasp.

That is what is bad about getting canceled.  People think something is gone and don't expect it to come back, and don't check back up on it.  It definitely damages a brand.

6 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Maybe things changed now and older shows are cheaper, or Toonami will have no choice but to air older shows, regardless of price, because most of the new desirable titles will be out of their grasp.

That is what is bad about getting canceled.  People think something is gone and don't expect it to come back, and don't check back up on it.  It definitely damages a brand.

what damages toonami are two things

1.streaming services....everyone has gotten used to the idea of watching a show when they want and never having to set aside time to watch tv shows

2.The Time Slot...for me toonami starts at 11:00 PM and that's not a very lucrative time slot to be in you aren't really getting much attention at that time    it doesn't matter what you show....11:00 PM on a saturday night just isn't something everyone can handle

• Confused 1

On 1/24/2022 at 9:05 AM, Jman said:

The Demon Slayer thing is a big one since S1 aired on Toonami, but it didn’t become a national phenomenon until it left Toonami to air on Netflix.  From that POV, Toonami actively inhibited its popularity.

I'm not so sure this is true. The subtitled version was streaming in the usual places subtitled versions stream for 6 months by the time it made its way to Toonami in October 2019. That period is where it got the most of its popularity; in fact when it came to Toonami, we were dumbfounded that they would give it a 1:30 AM timeslot in mid-block instead of a headliner like One-Punch Man, but thankfully that error was corrected when the calendar rolled over to 2020 (and Fire Force ended), and its first run concluded at 12:30 AM behind only MHA. And as far as I can tell, Aniplex's contract with Toonami was a 2-year deal, so they would have fairly recently lost the rights, allowing Netflix to swoop in last October.

it's crazy to think one piece was on toonami in 2005...then again in the early years of the toonami reboot before leaving in 2017 then this year it comes back for a third time

what's even crazier is the realization that if someone was watching this in 2005 when they were 10 years old...they'd be 27 right now

Edited by CountFrylock

4 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

it's crazy to think one piece was on toonami in 2005...then again in the early years of the toonami reboot before leaving in 2017 then this year it comes back for a third time

what's even crazier is the realization that if someone was watching this in 2005 when they were 10 years old...they'd be 27 right now

HOLY SHIT IS THAT MAN IN A BOX!?

I technically watched 4Piece via Miguzi, but that is literally me you're talking about right now.

Edited by PokeNirvash

4 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

HOLY SHIT IS THAT MAN IN A BOX!?

I technically watched 4Piece via Miguzi, but that is literally me you're talking about right now.

stuff like this not only makes me feel old but also reminds you that one piece has been going on for so long that it's been on the foxbox  toonami and the adultswim version of toonami all while still being a currently running series