UnevenEdge

I think I have a girl crush on my hormone doctor

Real_AirCooledGirl

2 hours ago, mthor said:

In a kid with precocious puberty, yes, it does - they just go off the med and go on living. But there have been no long term studies on kids who've taken puberty blockers and then gone on masculinizing or feminizing hormone therapy; the process hasn't been around long enough to be evaluated that way.

Jazz Jennings says hello. She transitioned starting young and thus avoided going through the wrong puberty. I envy her for getting to transition that young. I wish I was able to do the same.

12 minutes ago, Real_AirCooledGirl said:

Jazz Jennings says hello. She transitioned starting young and thus avoided going through the wrong puberty. I envy her for getting to transition that young. I wish I was able to do the same.

Jazz Jennings has had at least one revision on her vagina because the patchwork quilt they had to build due to her immature penis unravelled. Lucky Jazz!

Also, Jazz is what, 20? 21? Way too soon for long term effects. What kind of cardiovascular effects is she going to show up with when she is 35 or 40? What's her bone density going to look like when she's 40? What kind of cancers might early transitioning make one more susceptible to? We just don't know yet. Maybe there'll be nothing long term; for Jazz and all the kids like her, I  hope that's the case. But hormones tend to be a double edged sword - the same estrogen tablet that relieves the symptoms of menopause and provides a certain protection from cardiovascular disease can also increase the risk of  endometrial cancer and certain breast cancers. 

But whatever. You believe what you want. I prefer clinical evidence, gathered in an atmosphere of intellectual freedom.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, mthor said:

Jazz Jennings has had at least one revision on her vagina because the patchwork quilt they had to build due to her immature penis unravelled. Lucky Jazz!

Also, Jazz is what, 20? 21? Way too soon for long term effects. What kind of cardiovascular effects is she going to show up with when she is 35 or 40? What's her bone density going to look like when she's 40? What kind of cancers might early transitioning make one more susceptible to? We just don't know yet. Maybe there'll be nothing long term; for Jazz and all the kids like her, I  hope that's the case. But hormones tend to be a double edged sword - the same estrogen tablet that relieves the symptoms of menopause and provides a certain protection from cardiovascular disease can also increase the risk of  endometrial cancer and certain breast cancers. 

But whatever. You believe what you want. I prefer clinical evidence, gathered in an atmosphere of intellectual freedom.

1494948145_OKBoomer.thumb.jpg.96bf696c533e0ce94a8b1da9ec0cd883.jpg

• D'oh 4

2 minutes ago, Real_AirCooledGirl said:

You sound like my Aunt "Maude" trying to talk me out of transitioning. If you're trying to talk me out of it, you're not going to move me one millimeter. I'm already a year in and have given it ten billion percent.

What she is saying is it might be a good thing you didn't start transitioning early and you are better off for starting in adulthood.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

What she is saying is it might be a good thing you didn't start transitioning early and you are better off for starting in adulthood.

So you'd rather I go through puberty in a body I don't identify with? Fuck that noise. I should have done this a long time ago already. Thing was, I didn't have knowledge of puberty blockers and HRT back then, nor the language to articulate my dysphoria. I didn't know any other trans or nonbinary people; my only exposure to such people back then was through Jerry Springer and the odd TLC documentary. What she's saying comes off as cis-splaining. Would you tell someone to go through a puberty they don't identify with? I sure as fuck wouldn't.

That said, I might at least ask my hormone doctor if she can offer any help on getting myself back out there. I still have the hots for her, though. There may be plenty of other women out there but there's only one of her. If she expresses any interest, however unlikely, I'm sure she might make that known. Even then, I think she'd be discreet about it. Hell, I had her authorize a new round of refills on my estradiol recently; I could kiss her for that. And when I say "kiss her", I don't mean in the same way I'd kiss my grandmother.

35 minutes ago, Real_AirCooledGirl said:

You sound like my Aunt "Maude" trying to talk me out of transitioning. If you're trying to talk me out of it, you're not going to move me one millimeter. I'm already a year in and have given it ten billion percent.

I don't know you. Why should I care if you transition or not? You're an adult; you are (at least, theoretically) able to make an informed decision when presented with both the benefits and hazards of your treatment.

What I object to are people who, with the best of intentions, allow children to make life changing decisions before they're old enough to understand the full ramifications of what they're doing.

Edited by mthor
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, mthor said:

I don't know you. Why should I care if you transition? You're an adult; you are (at least, theoretically) able to make an informed decision when presented with both the benefits and hazards of your treatment.

What I object to are people who, with the best of intentions, allow children to make life changing decisions before they're old enough to understand the full ramifications of what they're doing.

Trans kids know themselves far better than you do, far better than you give them credit for.

2 hours ago, Real_AirCooledGirl said:

Did you see all the problems she had with her SRS though she had to go back a few times. Idk if that was a result of having puberty blocked she did have it blocked in the first stage 

she is fortunate to have parents with caring and $.  

• Like 1

Just now, Vamped said:

Im sorry .... did you say the penis unravelled?!

Like unrolling a Swiss roll?!

Now there's a mental picture.

No. It actually didn't unravel. Her penis was so small that the surgeons didn't have enough tissue to create a vagina, so they had to use grafts from elsewhere. She had a hematoma that cause one of the grafts to either loosen or fail, I'm not sure and don't want to be because I'm crossing my legs just thinking about it.

1 minute ago, helpme said:

Waygu is to be cooked no more than medium rare otherwise you just destroyed a perfect steak and your bank account 

https://www.thespruceeats.com/well-done-steak-just-say-no-995235

Fuck that noise! If I ever obtain any Wagyu steak, I'll cook it well-done just to piss you and the rest of the food police off.

If I ever marry a sugar mama, I'll order some Wagyu steak well-done if she and I go to a steakhouse that serves it. I might just put some Carolina Reaper hot sauce on it, too. I'm not "destroying" a steak. It's called eating what I like. Eat what you like and fuck the food police.

2 hours ago, mthor said:

The operative word is "kids." They are children first.

They’re children but they know. RACG mentioned Jazz and her parents said from the time she could talk she said she was a girl.  Whenever she was presented as a boy it was like a traumatic experience for her.  Also, are these blockers easy to get out on?  I’d think it wouldn’t be that easy, but idk. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

They’re children but they know. RACG mentioned Jazz and her parents said from the time she could talk she said she was a girl.  Whenever she was presented as a boy it was like a traumatic experience for her.  Also, are these blockers easy to get out on?  I’d think it wouldn’t be that easy, but idk. 

THANK YOU! DANKE! GRACIAS! SPASIBO! ARIGATOU! KIITOS! qatlho'!

Trans kids are just as certain of their identified gender as cis kid are. Hell, trans people's brains are consistent with our identified gender, not whatever we were assigned at birth.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Real_AirCooledGirl said:

Trans kids are just as certain of their identified gender as cis kid are. Hell, trans people's brains are consistent with our identified gender, not whatever we were assigned at birth.

Do you have a source for this? I'm always curious about this kind of phenomenon, like studies of whether DID patients actually exhibit changes in their EEGs when they switch alters or what different parts of a schizophrenic's brain are active on a PET scan vs a normal brain. The mind/body interface is always fascinating.

Edited by mthor

3 minutes ago, mthor said:

Do you have a source for this? I'm always curious about this kind of phenomenon, like studies of whether DID patients actually exhibit changes in their EEGs when they switch alters or what different parts of a schizophrenic's brain are active on a PET scan vs a normal brain.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-01237-z
https://www.endocrine-abstracts.org/ea/0056/ea0056s30.3.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Real_AirCooledGirl said:

The majority of children with gender dysphoria experience a decrease or complete recovery from it post-puberty. In fact, most adults who experience it began feeling it during puberty.

That's "most," not "all." But that's one of the primary reasons for puberty blockers to be used to delay puberty to see whether or not it fades.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Real_AirCooledGirl said:

I'm not arrogant for liking my steak well-done. It's a matter of personal preference.

Yeah, but you probably won’t get a well done steak at a steakhouse.  There’s nothing in it for them to cater to customers who eat well done steaks.

9 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Yeah, but you probably won’t get a well done steak at a steakhouse.  There’s nothing in it for them to cater to customers who eat well done steaks.

It's a restaurant. I'm the customer, and the customer is always right. I know because I used to work in restaurants. And whenever I'd order a steak for my shift meal, I always ordered well-done no matter what cut it was. Yes, even prime rib. Whenever I go to, say, Outback, I order my steak well-done. I could go to a five-star restaurant with a chef and I'd still order my steak well-done. To hell with all the snobs who try to tell me otherwise. And don't give me the "well-done is shoe leather" bit. It isn't. I've had beef jerky that was tougher than any well-done steak could ever be.

I'm not the only person in my family who likes their steak well-done. My mom does, too. Her husband has tried to get her to go medium or rarer and she simply doesn't like it that pink and bloody. I don't, either, and that's that.

1 minute ago, Real_AirCooledGirl said:

It's a restaurant. I'm the customer, and the customer is always right. I know because I used to work in restaurants. And whenever I'd order a steak for my shift meal, I always ordered well-done no matter what cut it was. Yes, even prime rib. Whenever I go to, say, Outback, I order my steak well-done. I could go to a five-star restaurant with a chef and I'd still order my steak well-done. To hell with all the snobs who try to tell me otherwise. And don't give me the "well-done is shoe leather" bit. It isn't. I've had beef jerky that was tougher than any well-done steak could ever be.

I'm not the only person in my family who likes their steak well-done. My mom does, too. Her husband has tried to get her to go medium or rarer and she simply doesn't like it that pink and bloody. I don't, either, and that's that.

How does Wayne take his steak?

• D'oh 1

14 minutes ago, Real_AirCooledGirl said:

You never worked at real steakhouse, though.  Even a chain like Ruth's Criss or Morton's  isn't going to waste time catering to customers who want well done steaks.  There's no point.  At that temperature, the meat loses all of its juice; it's flavorless outside of whatever charring is on the outside, and no steak preparation (peppercorn, season salt, etc.) or sauce is designed to make up for it.  A Yelp review from someone complaining about an "undercooked" steak is infinitely better than a review complaining about tasteless meat.

22 minutes ago, Real_AirCooledGirl said:

I'm a chef and some restaurants will absolutely not serve you a well done steak. Lower tier places, like Outback or Longhorn, will have no problem serving you one, but places that serve higher caliber meat will sometimes refuse to entirely. It's basically reducing the meat down to a flavorless, often dry husk. That kind of beef has all its charm and flavor profiles in being cooked as little as possible. I won't go above a medium myself, and medium well is quite difficult to do correctly and has to be eaten immediately off the grill. A good steak does not need any sauces or seasonings, or at most a bit of butter and salt/pepper. Not being a snob and telling you how to eat, just explaining how to get the most out of a good steak. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, GunStarHero said:

I'm a chef and some restaurants will absolutely not serve you a well done steak. Lower tier places, like Outback or Longhorn, will have no problem serving you one, but places that serve higher caliber meat will sometimes refuse to entirely. It's basically reducing the meat down to a flavorless, often dry husk. That kind of beef has all its charm and flavor profiles in being cooked as little as possible. I won't go above a medium myself, and medium well is quite difficult to do correctly and has to be eaten immediately off the grill. A good steak does not need any sauces or seasonings, or at most a bit of butter and salt/pepper. Not being a snob and telling you how to eat, just explaining how to get the most out of a good steak. 

Fuck the assholes running those restaurants. Who are they to tell me how I can and can't eat a steak?

Well-done isn't flavorless. That charring is your flavor right there, with or without any butter.

And how'd we go from my having the hots for my hormone doctor to debating about the doneness of steak?

Edited by Real_AirCooledGirl

11 minutes ago, Real_AirCooledGirl said:

Fuck the assholes running those restaurants. Who are they to tell me how I can and can't eat a steak?

Well-done isn't flavorless. That charring is your flavor right there, with or without any butter.

And how'd we go from my having the hots for my hormone doctor to debating about the doneness of steak?

Us "assholes" are trying to serve you the best quality food we can. It may not be your preference but it's the best way to get the most out of your steak. To me, this is like you telling me ice cream is better completely melted versus being served frozen. 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, GunStarHero said:

Us "assholes" are trying to serve you the best quality food we can. It may not be your preference but it's the best way to get the most out of your steak. To me, this is like you telling me ice cream is better completely melted versus being served frozen. 

some places just use yesterdays old steak and give to the well done people the next day no difference in taste

now onto the subject of melted ice cream I do like it a tad softer but not like milk

11 minutes ago, GunStarHero said:

I could be a chef at some swanky restaurant and I'd still cook a primo cut of steak well-done if a customer asked me to make it that way.

32 minutes ago, Real_AirCooledGirl said:

I could be a chef at some swanky restaurant and I'd still cook a primo cut of steak well-done if a customer asked me to make it that way.

You are not a chef at some "swanky restaurant." I have worked in 4 star resorts in Las Vegas. These places are reservation only and have a required attire. You can make all the burnt steaks you want, I don't care, but you are insulting people like me because you're being a petulant child about how your dead cow is torched. 

• Like 4

Back when the restaurant I worked at had steak I would love it when someone ordered well done. Wished it happened more.

Sucked to have it taking up a burner for that long but loved not having to really pay attention to it or worry about them sending it back because it wasn't perfectly medium-rare or whatever. 

Customer basically saying "I really don't care what it tastes like or how it turns out" whew, thank you, now I can focus on these ten other things while your shit burns

Edited by NaBoats
  • Haha 1

My brother-in-law used to eat well-done steaks until he met my sister. Now, he prefers them rare, and he complains at restaurants if they cook it too well. Ridiculous. He still won't try sushi either. Pussy. I do like my steaks medium rare, but I don't care if it's accidentally cooked a little more on the medium side. Plus, I like chicken and seafood much more than steak.

1 hour ago, Real_AirCooledGirl said:

The proper way to cook steak is of greater general interest than your personal life.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, helpme said:

some places just use yesterdays old steak and give to the well done people the next day no difference in taste

now onto the subject of melted ice cream I do like it a tad softer but not like milk

I like it soft enough to stir into peaks.

4 hours ago, Real_AirCooledGirl said:

Charring isn’t flavor, it’s future cancer.

But seriously, like GunStar said, what would a serious chef benefit by giving you an overcooked steak?  The worst you can say is that your beef is too juicy and the minute you put that on a review, you’ll get laughed at for being uncultured.  Whereas if the chef entertained your ridiculous request, all she gets out of that is entertaining a fool who couldn’t begin to appreciate her quality work.

Personally, if you ever asked me to cook you a well done steak, I’d just open a bag of Obertos and plate it with sauce cup full of Tabasco.  Then I’d charge you $30.

8 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

But seriously, like GunStar said, what would a serious chef benefit by giving you an overcooked steak?  The worst you can say is that your beef is too juicy and the minute you put that on a review, you’ll get laughed at for being uncultured.  Whereas if the chef entertained your ridiculous request, all she gets out of that is entertaining a fool who couldn’t begin to appreciate her quality work.

Personally, if you ever asked me to cook you a well done steak, I’d just open a bag of Obertos and plate it with sauce cup full of Tabasco.  Then I’d charge you $30.

The serious dining spots have reputations to uphold, as well. For the amount of money a customer spends there, plus their reservations and any attire requirements, they deserve the best meal that can be provided. I have seen plenty of finished plates pulled off the line because they didn't meet the standards of the restaurant. We often feast with our eyes first, so appearances are everything at that level of dining. Why drop over $100 per plate if it's identical to diner food you can get for a fraction of the price? Plating and garnishing are super important, but above all else the food has to be a certain quality, as well. Not to mention these establishments often run limited items, based on what they were able to get that day/week, so they have to ensure they get things right the first time and not waste any of those precious, limited items. The meals are usually planned in advance, so your choices are limited to what was available and maybe a few different options prepared for that evening, not a full menu. 

Now I have worked at generic restaurants that served 6oz sirloins and we would serve them however anyone wanted them. But when I worked with wagyu? That shit was kept in a locked cooler and I wasn't even allowed to work with it for months until I was trusted. That stuff was often served one way and one way only, depending on the cut of the beef, so no wiggle room. Because what happens when someone gets a bad looking plate and they share it around online? That effects potential covers and it can be an uphill battle to win people back in a restaurant when they believe the quality has dropped, especially fancier places. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Overcooked my aching ass. The food police just don't like well-done steak. That charring is FLAVOR.

On 8/13/2021 at 11:39 PM, Real_AirCooledGirl said:

Fuck that noise! If I ever obtain any Wagyu steak, I'll cook it well-done just to piss you and the rest of the food police off.

If I ever marry a sugar mama, I'll order some Wagyu steak well-done if she and I go to a steakhouse that serves it. I might just put some Carolina Reaper hot sauce on it, too. I'm not "destroying" a steak. It's called eating what I like. Eat what you like and fuck the food police.

So, you'll ruin food because someone said not to ruin food? Are you a fucking child?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, GunStarHero said:

The serious dining spots have reputations to uphold, as well. For the amount of money a customer spends there, plus their reservations and any attire requirements, they deserve the best meal that can be provided. I have seen plenty of finished plates pulled off the line because they didn't meet the standards of the restaurant. We often feast with our eyes first, so appearances are everything at that level of dining. Why drop over $100 per plate if it's identical to diner food you can get for a fraction of the price? Plating and garnishing are super important, but above all else the food has to be a certain quality, as well. Not to mention these establishments often run limited items, based on what they were able to get that day/week, so they have to ensure they get things right the first time and not waste any of those precious, limited items. The meals are usually planned in advance, so your choices are limited to what was available and maybe a few different options prepared for that evening, not a full menu. 

Now I have worked at generic restaurants that served 6oz sirloins and we would serve them however anyone wanted them. But when I worked with wagyu? That shit was kept in a locked cooler and I wasn't even allowed to work with it for months until I was trusted. That stuff was often served one way and one way only, depending on the cut of the beef, so no wiggle room. Because what happens when someone gets a bad looking plate and they share it around online? That effects potential covers and it can be an uphill battle to win people back in a restaurant when they believe the quality has dropped, especially fancier places. 

In these times of easily posted customer reviews, there is way too much at risk.

Also Wagyu is hella overpriced for the experience.  There are a few places that will have it, but only a person who trains to be gourmet food critic could possibly appreciate it to the degree that would warrant paying that price.  I was at an Alexander’s like one day before the lockdown hit and I couldn’t justify the wagyu because I couldn’t even decide what the right source was for what I would appreciate.  I would have just gotten it to say I got it.

• Like 1