UnevenEdge

PC and Tech Support

Google just randomly locked me out of my gmail.

It keeps asking to send a verification code to my cellphone, but the number it has is very old.

It's not giving me any other options and the recovery info page google has is useless.

Am I just fucked right now?

2 hours ago, Mix said:

Google just randomly locked me out of my gmail.

It keeps asking to send a verification code to my cellphone, but the number it has is very old.

It's not giving me any other options and the recovery info page google has is useless.

Am I just fucked right now?

Would it be possible to sign into another linked Google service and update your number?

24 minutes ago, Sieg67 said:

Would it be possible to sign into another linked Google service and update your number?

No, it isn't linked to anything else.

Question for the panel - My boss swears she has Microsoft 365 Outlook as a desktop app that doesn't open in a browser and does not require a subscription.  She even showed me how it will use the .pst file created by old school Outlook.  I've tried to find the download, but only see Outlook for Windows (which won't import any files), free Office 365 (same thing) and full Office 365 for a subscription, all of which open in a browser. 

Is she wrong?  I don't want the cloud, I don't want the web browser version, I've looked at other email clients (meh) and emails from my late father are on the .pst file.  What do?  (It's the weekend & she's home with her sick husband so I don't want to bug her)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

my old imac randomly stopped recognizing my old external drive, when it's connected I get a button to eject and a button to "initialize", whatever that means

the drive is formatted to my mac so connecting it to my windows device won't help I think

not really sure what to do here

19 hours ago, viperxmns said:

my old imac randomly stopped recognizing my old external drive, when it's connected I get a button to eject and a button to "initialize", whatever that means

the drive is formatted to my mac so connecting it to my windows device won't help I think

not really sure what to do here

Have you run Disk Utility on it yet?  That should give you a little more information on the drive at the very least.

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

Have you run Disk Utility on it yet?  That should give you a little more information on the drive at the very least.

bro I can't even get disk utility to run, and now my computer doesnt want to restart unless I unplug it

I'm too overdue for a new computer fml

5 minutes ago, viperxmns said:

bro I can't even get disk utility to run, and now my computer doesnt want to restart unless I unplug it

I'm too overdue for a new computer fml

Apples are hell of a lot more complicated than they were in the days of Classic Mac OS when it comes to extension issues.  What OS are you running?  Depending on that, the SOP is to start your Mac in Safe Mode.

2 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Apples are hell of a lot more complicated than they were in the days of Classic Mac OS when it comes to extension issues.  What OS are you running?  Depending on that, the SOP is to start your Mac in Safe Mode.

get ready.. prepare yourself..

I restarted again and disk utility is up, now the question is do I try turning on the external again

7 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Snow Leopard?   That is really old bad.

There are a whole host of issues that come with running unsupported software like that.

Do you backup your computer regularly?

I was using this drive to do that, but now I ran into this issue

Most of what I have on it is artworks that I've emailed to myself, I'm kinda sacred of running into problems moving art and software to a new system which is mostly what I'd be worried about

My Surface pro has been my other backup for better or worse

3 hours ago, viperxmns said:

I was using this drive to do that, but now I ran into this issue

Most of what I have on it is artworks that I've emailed to myself, I'm kinda sacred of running into problems moving art and software to a new system which is mostly what I'd be worried about

My Surface pro has been my other backup for better or worse

Well, I guess the first thing is to see if the drive shows up in Disk Utility in Recovery mode.  If that's the case, you might be able to wipe the computer (after disconnecting the drive) and reinstall the OS.  It just matters if the drive still has the sparse bundle file from Time Machine and that it can be read.

2 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Well, I guess the first thing is to see if the drive shows up in Disk Utility in Recovery mode.  If that's the case, you might be able to wipe the computer (after disconnecting the drive) and reinstall the OS.  It just matters if the drive still has the sparse bundle file from Time Machine and that it can be read.

before I do anything drastic I'm wondering what would happen if I connected the drive to a different mac, though I don't currently have access to such a thing

1 minute ago, viperxmns said:

before I do anything drastic I'm wondering what would happen if I connected the drive to a different mac, though I don't currently have access to such a thing

As long as it's still readable by your computer with extensions off, it should be readable by any Mac.  A couple of things, makes sure it's not one of the bottom two:

Image9-19-24at3_41PM.jpeg.4d4b4d19ca1e84be0a153105640fb939.jpeg

Mac can't always see those two without an extension or without an emulator.

27 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

As long as it's still readable by your computer with extensions off, it should be readable by any Mac.  A couple of things, makes sure it's not one of the bottom two:

Image9-19-24at3_41PM.jpeg.4d4b4d19ca1e84be0a153105640fb939.jpeg

Mac can't always see those two without an extension or without an emulator.

ok so my computer can see the drive in disk utility, but now I can't really do anything getting spinning ball

17 hours ago, viperxmns said:

ok so my computer can see the drive in disk utility, but now I can't really do anything getting spinning ball

You probably are going to need to find a friend with a mac to see if your drive works on their computer.  On a lark, i decided to google to see if there were any other options, and I came up with this. 

The key takeaways from that article is that you're going to need to find a way to make your Surface Pro able to read the Mac drive's HFS+ file system.  The article mentions the free software and all the issues that come with it, so it might be worth forking over $20 for something that is more stable and doesn't require installing a vulnerability into your PC.  

• Thanks 1