UnevenEdge

I can't get enough of Isekai

-Ninja_Jesus-

7 minutes ago, ninja_jesus said:

The real world sucks and I want to imagine myself being reincarnated or transported to another world. Sure, with any genre there will inevitably be a sea of garbage but there are plenty of Isekai gems, Log Horizon and Shield Hero and Slime-san being a few. Anyone else here like isekai shows?

Re:Zero is great.

1 hour ago, -Ninja_Jesus- said:

The real world sucks and I want to imagine myself being reincarnated or transported to another world.

1 minute ago, -Ninja_Jesus- said:

??? But Re:Zero is isekai.

I was focusing on the life sucks and I want a better world part, perhaps more than intended.

“Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?” and “I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense” are the only two I’ve gotten into lately.

I prefer the goofier ones that get into of the video-gamey issues that come from isekai VRMMORPGs like flippant mods, gamebreaking glitches, and overpowered weapons/items.

If they get too self-serious or feel too much like wish fulfillment, I tune out or lose interest. I do like Re;Zero though, but I need to find the time to catch up with it.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Jiro_Dreams said:

“Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?” and “I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense” are the only two I’ve gotten into lately.

I prefer the goofier ones that get into of the video-gamey issues that come from isekai VRMMORPGs like flippant mods, gamebreaking glitches, and overpowered weapons/items.

If they get too self-serious or feel too much like wish fulfillment, I tune out or lose interest. I do like Re;Zero though, but I need to find the time to catch up with it.

Bofuri is so sweet, I love that show.

I like fun, but this shit ain't it.  The vast majority of it is just...nothing.  No attention given to crafting a believable world populated with engaging characters, just Truck-kun and then either random comedy lolz or "no we didn't rip these mechanics straight from a generic JRPG why would you say that."  I've yet to read a premise for any of these series that's instilled a desire for me to give them a try.

You know what were fantastic, though?  The older girl-in-another-world series that came out long before the term "isekai" was a gleam in anyone's eye.  Escaflowne, Magic Knight Rayearth, Twelve Kingdoms.  Shows that actually gave a damn about world-building.

2 hours ago, Jiro_Dreams said:

But the defense one isn't an isekai because she isn't trapped in that world. That is like saying fantasy stories are isekai when no one was reborn or transported.

Usually the only isekai that I don't like are the really soulless ones. Like In another world with my smart phone. The Slime one is borderline that level, but it actually has some funny moments and fan service, but I think most of the girls looked better in their monster forms before they made them full human. 

A lot of series do with the cellphone one did where god just makes the mc into the Avatar of that with all types of magic and buffs to their physical ability. It just gets old when 8 episodes of a 12 episode season are; MC does a thing with no effort, Holy shit MC you're fucking amazing,  I'm so wet right now MC-Kun~!  Like there's very little comedy or action, and it's 99% just telling the self insert how amazing they are.  

I probably like Konosuba the most followed by Overlord. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Usually the only isekai that I don't like are the really soulless ones. Like In another world with my smart phone. The Slime one is borderline that level, but it actually has some funny moments and fan service, but I think most of the girls looked better in their monster forms before they made them full human. 

A lot of series do with the cellphone one did where god just makes the mc into the Avatar of that with all types of magic and buffs to their physical ability. It just gets old when 8 episodes of a 12 episode season are; MC does a thing with no effort, Holy shit MC you're fucking amazing,  I'm so wet right now MC-Kun~!  Like there's very little comedy or action, and it's 99% just telling the self insert how amazing they are.  

I probably like Konosuba the most followed by Overlord. 

Smartphone, Demon Lord Retry, How Not To Summon a Demon Lord, stuff like that are so soulless, I hate them so much. Slime-san's manga and a Light Novel are better, since they haven't been stalling on the main plot line like the anime. "Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?" was very borderline soulless but it was funny and had a charm to it. OP MC does not like that she's OP and tries not to stand out, hilariously failing.

Edited by -Ninja_Jesus-

3 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

I will say that the only one that's remotely interested me is Ascendance of a Bookworm, because the premise feels far different than anything else I've heard of, and it seems like there's actual legit world-building going on.

I am eagerly awaiting season 3! I am very tempted to buy the Light Novels because it's further along in the plot.

6 minutes ago, -Ninja_Jesus- said:

Smartphone, Demon Lord Retry, How Not To Summon a Demon Lord, stuff like that are so soulless, I hate them so much. Slime-san's manga and a Light Novel are better, since they haven't been stalling on the main plot line like the anime. "Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?" was very borderline soulless but it was funny and had a charm to it. OP MC does not like that she's OP and tries not to stand out, hilariously failing.

The manga for how not to summon a demon lord was better. The anime fucked up and was doing like half a chapter an episode to stretch the fanservice scenes. The manga isn't a gem, but the anime did it wrong. 

17 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

The manga for how not to summon a demon lord was better. The anime fucked up and was doing like half a chapter an episode to stretch the fanservice scenes. The manga isn't a gem, but the anime did it wrong. 

No wonder it felt so slow. I'm sure Demon Lord Retry is the same way. The anime has it looking like a worse, discount Overlord with a loli sidekick.

31 minutes ago, -Ninja_Jesus- said:

No wonder it felt so slow. I'm sure Demon Lord Retry is the same way. The anime has it looking like a worse, discount Overlord with a loli sidekick.

DLR's anime just seemed so damn dry that I don't even think a faster pace could help it. The MC was just a failure of a protagonist. It's not someone you would root for, or meant to be a self insert. 

A fun series that gets overlooked to check out is, I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job. Also goes by Yusibu for short. The MC got beaten to the punch on beating the demon lord so he gets a job at a Lawsons, and the Demon Lords daughter gets a job with him. 

g9wrsvgerl931.jpg

8 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

DLR's anime just seemed so damn dry that I don't even think a faster pace could help it. The MC was just a failure of a protagonist. It's not someone you would root for, or meant to be a self insert. 

A fun series that gets overlooked to check out is, I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job. Also goes by Yusibu for short. The MC got beaten to the punch on beating the demon lord so he gets a job at a Lawsons, and the Demon Lords daughter gets a job with him. 

I loved it when it came out! The premise of exploring what happens when the Demon Lord gets defeated isn't something I've seen done since, tbh.

Would Misfit of Demon King Academy count as an isekai? I know it's bad but it's so entertaining that I don't really care.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly every season when I read the plots, they just look like trash. If all you can offer me is fanservice and comedy then I'm out. I love fanservice, but that alone is not enough for me to watch a anime anymore.

As a depressed old man, if it doesn't have dark elements and or drama/romance elements to it I'm probably not going to watch.

Re:Zero is probably the best one I've watched. I guess I enjoy sadder things than me.

10 hours ago, CAC said:

Honestly every season when I read the plots, they just look like trash. If all you can offer me is fanservice and comedy then I'm out. I love fanservice, but that alone is not enough for me to watch a anime anymore.

As a depressed old man, if it doesn't have dark elements and or drama/romance elements to it I'm probably not going to watch.

Re:Zero is probably the best one I've watched. I guess I enjoy sadder things than me.

99 percent of them are power trip fantasies. 

Reverse Isekai "The Devil is a part timer" is liked by many.

Have you guys watched Tanya the Evil and Overlord yet? OP characters but done right. As opposed to say.... "In another world with My smartphone."

I've only ever seen SAO and Bakarina, with no real plans to watch any more unless I feel watching one will help with "visualization" for one of my hypothetical animes. And even then, I doubt that'll happen unless there's a storyboard artist or director out there who's only worked exclusively on isekai.

5 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

I've only ever seen SAO and Bakarina, with no real plans to watch any more unless I feel watching one will help with "visualization" for one of my hypothetical animes. And even then, I doubt that'll happen unless there's a storyboard artist or director out there who's only worked exclusively on isekai.

You should watch Log Horizon then, it's like SAO but not garbage after the halfway point. Also, Bakarina was an excellent choice, good anime all-around.

Edited by -Ninja_Jesus-
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Daos said:

99 percent of them are power trip fantasies. 

Reverse Isekai "The Devil is a part timer" is liked by many.

Have you guys watched Tanya the Evil and Overlord yet? OP characters but done right. As opposed to say.... "In another world with My smartphone."

I happen to like power trip fantasies because 2020 has been a garbage hellscape and it's nice to watch some escapism.

I wouldn't necessarily call Tanya the Evil OP, but she does get very powerful. Overlord is a great anime and I'm kinda scared what they're gonna be doing going forward. Slime-san is similar to Overlord in certain ways but definitely zigs when Overlord zags, I just wish Slime-san would get on with the main plot already.

Never seen Devil is a Part-Timer, I'll add that to my queue. :D

On 10/18/2020 at 2:41 PM, Distinct Lunatic said:

Step 1: Go outside and get hit by a truck

Step 2: Wake up in some isekai world where you are the hero

Step 3: ?????

Step 4: Profit

I dont think you have to put forth all the effort of finding a truck to get hit by. The guy from that slime show just stood there as a guy with a knife ran in a literal straight line toward him. 

Isekai's in general dont really hold my attention because somehow theres a harem involved in a good bit of them and that gets really annoying to me real fast. 

>.> I did however appreciate the equal treatment of the men and the women by the potential tentacle monster in the Slime show

On 10/18/2020 at 2:28 PM, -Ninja_Jesus- said:

The real world sucks and I want to imagine myself being reincarnated or transported to another world. Sure, with any genre there will inevitably be a sea of garbage but there are plenty of Isekai gems, Log Horizon and Shield Hero and Slime-san being a few. Anyone else here like isekai shows?

I do.  Even though MAL hates it, I like I'm Standing on a Million Lives this season.  It's a good isekai show.

• Like 1

Speaking of isekai, have you seen High School Prodigies have it Easy even in another World!?  It's pretty good.

There's also a really good one where the main character dies and is reborn in another world with magical power & adopted by Merlin.

He mixes his magical power with science and becomes OP.  I wish I remembered the name of the anime.

9 hours ago, blueraven1999 said:

Speaking of isekai, have you seen High School Prodigies have it Easy even in another World!?  It's pretty good.

There's also a really good one where the main character dies and is reborn in another world with magical power & adopted by Merlin.

He mixes his magical power with science and becomes OP.  I wish I remembered the name of the anime.

Dropped High School Prodigies after 1 episode. It's the absolute bottom of the trash bin for Isekai.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2020 at 10:46 AM, blueraven1999 said:

Kenja no Mago (Wise Man's Grandchild)

On 11/11/2020 at 8:48 PM, Daos said:

It's the absolute bottom of the trash bin for Isekai.

Isekai Cheat Magician? The Master of Ragnarok and Blesser of Einherjar?