UnevenEdge

Jackson Public confirms Venture Brothers has been cancelled

Jman

Being the optimism-leaning engineer I am, I'm hoping this is just a cheeky dig at VB's constant hiatuses and Jackson liked it because he found it funny, while everyone's taking it seriously because it's nearly impossible to convey sarcasm through internet text.

Edited by PokeNirvash

I really want to say that this is a poke at the massively long hiatus between seasons where everyone always seems to think that they've been cancelled and then 'new episodes starting ...' happens. 

If you follow the Dragon Con virtual con thing going on this year, there's a Main panel tomorrow at ~1:30 central 'We Got This' featuring Jackson and Doc. It was recorded earlier obviously but there should be info about VB and maybe the twit was either an early warning or bait to get people to tune in. 

• Like 2

In the slight possibility that people interested are watching this particular thread, the panel will be airing at 1:30 central. 

www.dragoncon.org

It's in the Main Events link as the 'We Got This' panel. 

Naturally, any news from the panel will hit the webs within seconds of it being said anyway so there's that. :D 

Summary - the only thing VB that came up during the online panel was the origin of 24's voice [ they heard someone with that exact sort of voice at a Thai restaurant and couldn't get it out of either of their heads ] . The topic of New York movies and they managed to stay to topic even with Doc. :D Which, if you know anything about Doc, is a minor miracle some days. 

However, the info that I do have at this moment is there is a current request for polite demands for the continuation of 'Venture Brothers' from the fan base. Season 8 is confirmed - it was being scripted, storyboarded, and all that fun for the past couple of years [ it's slow careful work and the slowdown due to covid hasn't exactly sped things up for the scattered team of AstroBase ] . But, it is not confirmed that there will be a renewal for a 9th season at this time or that a renewal is even being considered. 

The call is to hit up [ as ] on their various social media accounts to #SaveVentureBrothers. Show your love and support for the program. Show them that the fan base is quite alive and well and numerous. This is not a call to repeat the reactions of DethKlok fans [ disclosure - total fan here, did not have a flaming meltdown but still pissed ] or behave like one of those mental midget fans who decided screaming and acting up in McDonald's was entirely 'swifty'. This is a call to make those fan numbers less 'number' and more 'reality' through the straightforward art of online postings. 

Further, I propose the use of the physical mail to make those numbers known as well. However, due to general restrictions and work-at-home orders for most of those at [ as ] / WS , no packages. No one will be there to get them in any sort of time, any sort of packages that they would need could be lost in a pile which wouldn't make anyone all that happy [ this is a battle but not of assholes ] and there are plenty of people who couldn't send a physical package out if that was the requirement [ ex...cans of spinach...pizza box tops...candy...fake money...there's been a lot of campaigns in the past on the old boards after all :D ] just out of money concerns. The proposal is postcards or single sheet printouts featuring Monarch butterflies [ because a single sheet is quick to mail and quick to count ] . Keep the message simple on the post card or the printout - save Venture Brothers, the fan base is here, we care. Sign it. Be a real person to those that will get these mailings. One person could spam the same line over and over again on a twitter or facebook account and it'll end up being considered spam from one person who didn't even leave their couch to do so. You can't really say that about actual physical mailings. Pass along this suggestion to all those that you think would help with this. Go online, let your voice be heard that way, and send them a postcard / printout in the mail.

[ adult swim ]

1065 Williams Street

Atlanta, GA 30309

Go Team Venture.

feb2fac636ab8f2be03918b0930a2b3c.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YeWhoEnter said:

Yep it's true, it got cancelled.  For some reason the link isn't formatting. 

Got it to work finally.  Jackson says they got the information a few months ago so it's a done deal.

Other shows have been brought back. Hell, how many times has Family Guy been cancelled and it's still here?

The call for support and mailings is still valid. Flood the building with butterflies. I'm planning on a stop at a local vintage shop tomorrow after the doctors to see if they have any Monarch postcard singles floating around. If not, I'll art something up since I don't have a social media presence to exploit. 

Yeah but Family Guy got brought back because it did phenomenally in syndication, something that has never been true of Venture Brothers despite its devoted fan following.  Barring the network not doing another Metalocalypse and actually permitting a Kickstarter campaign to fund a final season or movie I think this is a done deal.

36 minutes ago, YeWhoEnter said:

Yep it's true, it got cancelled.  For some reason the link isn't formatting. 

Got it to work finally.  Jackson says they got the information a few months ago so it's a done deal.

you know, it's been on hiatus for so long, this discovery oddly doesn't make me feel any difference.

Kind of an anti-climactic end though. No fanfare, no nothing.

Edited by elfie

On 9/7/2020 at 6:35 PM, YeWhoEnter said:

But the management at adult swim is new as of this spring, which coincides with when the show was canceled according to Jackson.  Maybe they will be open to a crowdfunding campaign in ways the network previously wasn't.

Lazzo isn't there anymore. There's a greater possibility of a polite but strong fan base reaction to things having a better response than the 'I know more about these things than any of you because I said I do so there' doorslam response garnered by both Metalocalypse fans and Moral Orel fans. 

Jackson and Doc aren't able to do more than cheerlead us on at this point because they would naturally be seen as wanting to do more as it's their livelihood which makes their voices less. 

As for syndication, Venture Brothers, like pretty much all the [ as ] originals, never got it's chance at that because until streaming services really started to gain in popularity, [ as ] bunnyhugged all their shows in order to funnel views only towards their cable block and the website and to get people to buy the DVDs / Blurays in between. Family Guy had basic tv Fox, then [ as ] picked it up, and now it runs on basic Fox, [ as ] , a few other Fox owned channels on cable and I think it's on all the more-open streaming services at this point as well. So syndication numbers shouldn't be allowed to play a part in this since [ as ] doesn't aim for personal syndication. If they did, they wouldn't have arfed up their dealings with the Frisky Dingo peeps and would have had Archer from the start. 

If this was 12 years ago, I'd have pulled a "Geass and Moribito premieres shunted off to 5AM" and called this worse than an actual real-world tragedy that shouldn't be joked about. But I know better than I did back then, so I won't do that.

Still, this sucks. Like, really, really sucks. I'd have been fine if it was just "you're done after season 8", but to can it so hard that we're not getting even that? That's just flat-out retarded bullshit.

Hopefully Jackson and Doc find a way to finish VB on their terms. But until then, I'm just gonna sit here mad as hell and keeping my urge to beat the nearest thing to smithereens in check.

4 hours ago, SwimModSponges said:

the thing is, season 8 was set up as the perfect final season, with how season 7 ended.

They were finally bringing all fhe plotlines to their conclusions, and it was going to be epic.

But no.

Let's just invest everything into Dan Harmon.

adult swim is really setting itself up as the rick and morty network

Edited by CountFrylock

13 minutes ago, Jman said:

It was the Family Guy Network, but that show has a set leave date.

Is that still happening? I keep tuning in, and it's still there...

VB has probably been doomed for a while. Undoubtedly expensive production, stupidly long breaks. They just naturally killed all the momentum they may have had. What can you expect when nobody remembers you exist?

I would further ask, did they truly expect, back in the beginning, that it would take so long to tell the story they had? Cuz, either they've been dragging it out, or they've been dragging their asses.

• D'oh 1

1 hour ago, NaBarney said:

Can someone please just tell me, will there, or will there not, be a season 8 on adult swim? 

Because it sounds like no. 

No.  There will not be.  And apparently the orders saying such came from above Adult Swim.

• Sad 1

Welp, after finding myself unable to go to sleep with this news on my mind, I decided to write a letter to [as] to express my feelings in the most civil manner I could muster (read: surprisingly civil for a shithole site like this one). I'm wholly expecting it to be trashed immediately at the earliest or halfway through at the latest - keeping with the narrative that [as] is a suck company that doesn't deserve its views - but at least I got my thoughts out there instead of wallowing in despair over it like some people.

Spoiler

The theory I saw online is that [as] was cancelling all their shows that exclusively stream on Hulu so that they could be put on HBO Max, but they could be trying to bring some back under a different name, which at the very least may explain why Mr. Pickles became Momma Named Me Sheriff suddenly. 

• Like 1

Bringing in some more contact infos for peeps compliments of the People's  Republic of Venture: 

You want contact info? We got contact info! Write, DM, or email the following to help us save The Venture Bros.!

AT&T Headquarters Address: 208 S Akard St, Dallas, TX 75202 (Write a letter requesting Venture Bros)

AT&T Headquarters phone: (800) 331-0500 (Request Venture Bros)

Joe Chandler (Assistant VP / PR): Email: [email protected] Twitter: @jchandler1159 (Request Venture Bros)

Warner Bros. Entertainment INC. Headquarters Address: 4000 Warner Blvd, Burbank, CA 91522 (Write a letter requesting Venture Bros)

Warner Bros. Entertainment INC. Headquarters phone: (917)-902-3516 (Request Venture Bros)

Jeff Cusson (Senior VP Corp Coms): [email protected] [email protected]

Kevin Brockman (Executive VP Global Coms): [email protected]

Johanna Fuentes (Executive VP Global Coms & Public Affairs): [email protected] (Request Venture Bros)

Adult Swim and Turner Broadcasting System INC Headquarters Address: 1065 Williams Street NW, Atlanta, GA 30309 (Write a letter requesting Venture Bros)

Adult Swim Feedback: https://www.adultswim.com/footer/contact/ (Request Venture Bros)

HBO / HBO Max Emails: [email protected] [email protected] (Request Venture Bros)

And as always, clicking and signing the petition link I posted earlier in the thread. Every time someone signs through that one I get a little ping in my e-mail so thanks to all those who have already spammed my e-mail. :D:D:D

• 7 months later...

I’ve been reading some comics and looking at some materials, and I think it hit me why VB was shitcanned by higher powers than Adult Swim, why Birdgirl doesn’t use a single Hanna Barbera character, and why a lot of the parody of older cartoons is now verboten (besides Clay Martin Croker sadly passing away a few years ago).

Warner Bros wants to use the HB characters again.  They began the rehabilitation of those characters with the “Hanna Barbera Beyond” comics a few years back, and characters like Johnny Quest and Space Ghost are frequently seen in crossovers with those characters.  Hell, there’s a comic crossover between Scooby Doo and Space Ghost that literally retcons the entirety of Coast to Coast as a hypnotic illusion Space Ghost breaks out of.

Warner wants to make a Johnny Quest movie.  But as long as Venture Bros exists, Johnny Quest is pretty much radioactive.  So the solution is to kill VB and rehab Quest.

Just a theory, but it seems that a lot of the parody that Adult Swim freely indulged in is now off limits.  And it’s also why Birdgirl sucks ass, but that’s another topic.

• D'oh 1

On 5/8/2021 at 11:41 PM, Jman said:

I’ve been reading some comics and looking at some materials, and I think it hit me why VB was shitcanned by higher powers than Adult Swim, why Birdgirl doesn’t use a single Hanna Barbera character, and why a lot of the parody of older cartoons is now verboten (besides Clay Martin Croker sadly passing away a few years ago).

Warner Bros wants to use the HB characters again.  They began the rehabilitation of those characters with the “Hanna Barbera Beyond” comics a few years back, and characters like Johnny Quest and Space Ghost are frequently seen in crossovers with those characters.  Hell, there’s a comic crossover between Scooby Doo and Space Ghost that literally retcons the entirety of Coast to Coast as a hypnotic illusion Space Ghost breaks out of.

Warner wants to make a Johnny Quest movie.  But as long as Venture Bros exists, Johnny Quest is pretty much radioactive.  So the solution is to kill VB and rehab Quest.

Just a theory, but it seems that a lot of the parody that Adult Swim freely indulged in is now off limits.  And it’s also why Birdgirl sucks ass, but that’s another topic.

They tried re-booting Johnny Quest ages ago. It blew ass so bad I don't think the episodes were ever even used as late night / early morning filler material for a significant amount of time. They can try to do a movie all they want but unless it's animated straight-to-DVD-&-TV, they aren't going to make jack on it. Haji might be seen as a racist depiction unless his backstory is something other than some white dude took pity on an orphan and gave it to his son as some sort of pet / friend. And they can't go around getting kidnapped by savages in the jungles of wherever without that also being called into question. If they try to go eco in the messaging, there's going to be people bitching about that as well. In the end, you'll end up with a watered down version of James Bond Meets Babysitter's Club. So Johnny Quest by itself is already toxic. 

Neither Warner Bros nor Hanna-Barbara own the rights to all things topic'd 'super science' or 'adventure' . While Venture Brothers fully acknowledges their origins in a Johnny Quest-like environment [ Rusty having grown up in a golden age of Boy Adventurers whether he liked it or not, having a single super scientist father, and getting kidnapped left and right when he wasn't just plain forgotten somewhere / kids now in the same sort of situation only their dad is a failure for most of the series and arching is regulated ] and used echoes of that nostalgic past, it's gone far beyond that initial connection. Even those things that could be considered a very direct homage to Johnny Quest have since been written out of the series. The 'Bandit' of the Venture family was skinned alive in the pilot. Bannon died in that plane accident right off the bat. Action Johnny got sober and made amends with Dr. Z so he's not likely to need to make any more appearances with Rusty at a future therapy session for Boy Adventurers. Even the Walking Eye is on a shelf somewhere now that there are other things to explore in the R&D section of VenTech. Venture Brothers, in short, is it's own thing at this point far beyond anything that Johnny Quest had done and it's continued storyline would have continued to prove that. 

My thought on the move away from reusing older characters is that there is a call for more original work in an attempt to continue to build on what they've had. An original character is not only unlimited in a way in what they can and can't do since their story would be actively expanding as a new series progresses but it also gives them the opportunity to potentially own that character in perpetuity depending on how the contract is worded. HB characters are already under contract and owned elsewhere in the system. They can be used with permission since it's the same general system but it's usually as you guessed it based on what other things might be coming up in the future and whether a character's use might be considered oversaturation or outright competition. I'd watch George Lowe's Space Ghost, I doubt I'd pay a lick of attention to some other version. George Lowe is a pip. And outright competition if it came down to which people might watch more - [ as ] Coast-to-Coast version vs. HB's likely dark broody dead space batman version. 

There's also the darker side of things where incoming individuals may have a pathological need to get their dick prints on everything and the only way to do that is to slowly but steadily burn away whatever the previous in-charge put their name on. Unfortunately the cost for that is lost content and lost creatives which is counterproductive if the idea is to raise your content. 

Ehh, that theory seems kinda silly. When there were talks of rebooting Jonny Quest in '08, they didn't cancel VB then, they just changed all the names of the JQ characters they had active in the show.

I'm sticking with the theory they canned it to save money, and plan on bringing it back - if only for a single finale special - via HBO Max once it's financially feasible for them.

Edited by PokeNirvash