UnevenEdge

What Are Your Reading Habits?

Many people are readers, but no reader reads quite like the next.

So, what are your reading habits? Do you read voraciously? Carefully? Do you read five books at once?

Do you only read one book in your life over and over and over and over? Do you skip to the end to read the final sentence?

I'm a reluctant reader, which seems to surprise a lot of people when I tell them that,

because I love reading.

Still, when I'm about to read, or want to read, it takes something of an effort

to get me to sit down and read, and I don't read too much at once.

(I consider 25-40 pages in a day to be a good amount for myself. It helps me process information.)

• Like 1

I'm the type of reader who plans to read over 30 books in a year but usually only ends up reading 10 to 15. It's still much more reading than the average person my age, so that's good I guess. Most of the reading I do is nonfiction.

You know this from my other thread, but I am currently rereading the Harry Potter series at a rapid pace (today, I plan on reading well over 100k words). Normally, the endeavor would take me 6 to 8 weeks, as I like reading at a more relaxed pace. Reading challenges are fun every now and then.

I'm the type of reader who plans to read over 30 books in a year but usually only ends up reading 10 to 15. It's still much more reading than the average person my age, so that's good I guess. Most of the reading I do is nonfiction.

You know this from my other thread, but I am currently rereading the Harry Potter series at a rapid pace (today, I plan on reading well over 100k words). Normally, the endeavor would take me 6 to 8 weeks, as I like reading at a more relaxed pace. Reading challenges are fun every now and then.

I need to restart Harry Potter. I gave up after the fourth as a kid but honestly I think I'd like it more now. Could not imagine reading over 100k in a day though. Ever. Maybe I did that with Ivanhoe but that's probably the closest I've come to that number. More power to you! Reading 120 pages of Annihilation in one sitting was my last personal challenge. It was awesome but it drained me so much.

I can't read.  :(

The chances of answering my question even coherently with a wild shot in the dark response, in a language whose written word is unknown to you, is staggering enough to baffle those who could calculate the chances of quantum tunneling.

Unless of course you're plugging all this into text to speech

I need to restart Harry Potter. I gave up after the fourth as a kid but honestly I think I'd like it more now. Could not imagine reading over 100k in a day though. Ever. Maybe I did that with Ivanhoe but that's probably the closest I've come to that number. More power to you! Reading 120 pages of Annihilation in one sitting was my last personal challenge. It was awesome but it drained me so much.

It only takes me a little less than 6 hours to read 100k words. I consider myself to be a slightly fast reader. I do recommend you to read Harry Potter at least once. It's a nice bildungsroman and arguably the most influential series of our generation. I'm currently about to reach the middle parts, which is where things drag quite a bit. Fortunately, the final two books, though long, are very fast paced in terms of action.

I've got a room filled with infinite monkeys on infinite keyboards hitting buttons randomly.

Whenever I want a reply, I just reach in and grab one.

So far I've been extremely luckyiouwhpagbuwvaguw hgfwe hpewP uhwe HW9EEHW  hfwpe HNs PHHPI Af PEFHh  ipFE phEF ghsi P;hgisw PHGW [hef {[ hEgweh [ hejwh

I've got a room filled with infinite monkeys on infinite keyboards hitting buttons randomly.

Whenever I want a reply, I just reach in and grab one.

So far I've been extremely luckyiouwhpagbuwvaguw hgfwe hpewP uhwe HW9EEHW  hfwpe HNs PHHPI Af PEFHh  ipFE phEF ghsi P;hgisw PHGW [hef {[ hEgweh [ hejwh

You have to FEED THEM GOOD GOD

• 2 months later...

I tend to have a number of books going at the same time both for variety and for place. Like I can and will read anything that interests me in the privacy of my home but I try not to bring anything super awkward to work. :D Technically, I don't think anything that I would be interested in reading would surprise anyone there but I still try to be nice about things. I also alternate being reading binges where whatever I touch is devoured immediately and the slow savor where it takes forever to get through something.

Currently reading at home a Discworld physics book, a text on Asatru, a butt-ton of Psychology Todays, and a Get Fuzzy collection. For work, I'm currently enjoying 'Princesses Behaving Badly' .

Many people are readers, but no reader reads quite like the next.

So, what are your reading habits? Do you read voraciously? Carefully? Do you read five books at once?

Do you only read one book in your life over and over and over and over? Do you skip to the end to read the final sentence?

I'm a reluctant reader, which seems to surprise a lot of people when I tell them that,

because I love reading.

Still, when I'm about to read, or want to read, it takes something of an effort

to get me to sit down and read, and I don't read too much at once.

(I consider 25-40 pages in a day to be a good amount for myself. It helps me process information.)

That one.  If I like a book you pretty much have to pry me away from it

I think I read the entire Codex Alera series in a week or less.  Most of Stephen King's work I can tear through pretty quickly, I think I finished Salem's Lot in two days.  I was also pretty hooked on the Dark Tower Series so I burned through those books pretty fast. 

It's been years since I've really picked up a book recreationally. Which is not something I'm proud of, but at the same time I binge on media (be it a book, movie, show, or game) and have to get through it in as few sittings as possible with minimal breaks. I just can't read 20 pages or a chapter of a story a night, because I just fixate on whatever it is I'm immersed in. The opposite would be my gf, who has books she's been working on for years because she reads them in her 15 minute lunch breaks (she did the same thing when watching Breaking Bad too). It just boggles my mind how someone can keep picking up and putting something down and not only not lose track of what is going on, but actually enjoy it.

It depends on what I'm reading. Lately though I haven't had much time for recreational reading; instead I've been busy reading NIMS procedures and election law.

I really want to get the time to read the newest by Steven Brust if I can, and chances are I'll make some coffee in the morning and stop reading at night when I get really hungry.  >:D

• 6 months later...

I read first thing in the morning, for anywhere from two to four hours.  Even five sometimes.  Depends how much pain I'm in that morning.  I need a ton of light, I have glaucoma.  I read laying down on the couch.  Sometimes I go read outside in the morning, if it's warm.  I read two or three books at the same time, usually one or two novels and one biography, history, or military/law enforcement book.

Nothing better than a warm morning, a big-ass mug of coffee, and a cigar to wake up.

• Like 1

I'm a highly distracted reader. I'd like to read but don't always find the focus or the patience to do it. Usually when I do, I need a somewhat calm environment, sometimes I'll have calm music in the background while I'll read. I like to drink something too like coffee or tea. 

I usually will binge one book at a time, oh and I one of folding pages people, you can't lose your spot if the page is folded. xD

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I read first thing when I wake up.  I need it to get my brain jump-started.  If I have any, I smoke a little weed, read for an hour or so, then go sit on the porch drinking coffee, smoke cigars and listen to music.  Usually punk or reggae.  Oh, and then I repeat the process for about three or four hours.

It really gets my synapses firing.  I read four hours a day or so every day, if I don't, it's like I'm operating at about half speed.

Edited by AstroCreep
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I read slowly, usually one book at a time. I have ADD so i can't read any certain way by trying. If i try to read quickly i ruin the experience and can't enjoy it. So i leisurely let myself get absorbed into a book and then read obsessively until I'm done with that book. 

It's also amazing how much more one can get absorbed into a book whilst high.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I'm really picky about the books I choose to read for recreation and whenever I'm in school I don't really have time to pick up a novel like I would like. When I do find something I like I have to sneak away to read it so I'll read it in short bursts or finish it too quickly and feel empty after finishing it so quickly

• Like 1

I usually read while I’m watching my shows on Netflix or Funimation.  What I read usually kind of matches what I’m viewing.  For example, if I’m watching Criminal Minds I’ll read my books on serial killers, psychopharmacology, etc.  When I watch anime or superhero/heroine films and show I’ll read graphic novels, manga or YA dystopian novels.  Finally, when the mood hits me I’ll read a silly cat mystery or whatever.  My real passion are mysteries of what is called The Golden Age Of Mystery Writers which included authors from the 1920s to the 1940s.  Agatha Christie is in this group but there are so many other now forgotten authors who shined during that period:  Ngaio Marsh, Josephine Tey, Georgette Heyer, John Dickson Carr, Edgar Wallace, And so on.  When I’m in the mood to read these authors it’s “dim lights please, no tv, no talking, only music on very low volume, with a cuppa tea or coffee and a cat snuggled up next to me, which is pretty much a requirement whatever I’m reading. :)

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 5:16 PM, zombieninjakitten said:

I usually read while I’m watching my shows on Netflix or Funimation.  What I read usually kind of matches what I’m viewing.  For example, if I’m watching Criminal Minds I’ll read my books on serial killers, psychopharmacology, etc.  When I watch anime or superhero/heroine films and show I’ll read graphic novels, manga or YA dystopian novels.  Finally, when the mood hits me I’ll read a silly cat mystery or whatever.  My real passion are mysteries of what is called The Golden Age Of Mystery Writers which included authors from the 1920s to the 1940s.  Agatha Christie is in this group but there are so many other now forgotten authors who shined during that period:  Ngaio Marsh, Josephine Tey, Georgette Heyer, John Dickson Carr, Edgar Wallace, And so on.  When I’m in the mood to read these authors it’s “dim lights please, no tv, no talking, only music on very low volume, with a cuppa tea or coffee and a cat snuggled up next to me, which is pretty much a requirement whatever I’m reading. :)

Golden age is dope af. Hammett is one of my favorite sentence writers. 

Edited by Bouvre

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

it takes me forever to read a book because of all the stuff you can stream and constantly being on my phone. . i think it took me about a year to read Anne Rice's last book 

Right now im reading Magaret Atwood and i started about a month or so ago? only about 200 pages in and is a looong book. 

i supplement my inability to sit down and read by listening to audio books to and from work but i havent even done that in a while.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...