UnevenEdge

Breaking News! Lycoris Recoil coming to Toonami January 20th

3ngag3

Holy shit. First non-sequel acquisition in two whole years! And it came out of nowhere. I knew next year wasn't going to be a total loss.

23 minutes ago, 3ngag3 said:

I've never seen this before. Is this any good?

It's one of the more well-liked original action shows from the past couple years. I've seen the first two episodes, and I liked 'em very much. I even went with the dub. Not sure if I'll try to cram the rest of the show in for content ratings purposes before the premiere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Super stoked this is coming!!

January 20th though...why?

Are we really gonna get an Aniplex Power Hour out of this, or is this really gonna replace Demon Slayer at Midnight?

Such a STRANGE situation. Obviously this means now one of the first 2 weeks in January is likely to be the conclusion of AOT, but what about the 2nd? Will they start Entertainment District right away or wait until after this airs?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

I bet you anything this is a Durarara!! case where Aniplex is paying [as] to air it, but whether or not that's the situation, I am content with this news.

If that is the case, at least this means they see value in the block. In this environment, you should take a freebie whenever you can get one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Super stoked this is coming!!

January 20th though...why?

Are we really gonna get an Aniplex Power Hour out of this, or is this really gonna replace Demon Slayer at Midnight?

Such a STRANGE situation. Obviously this means now one of the first 2 weeks in January is likely to be the conclusion of AOT, but what about the 2nd? Will they start Entertainment District right away or wait until after this airs?

Unpopular theory - one of those weekends might be a movie type weekend. 

Or one is the conclusion of AOT and the second is a marathon of AOT for anyone that missed the ending the first time and wants to just veg out for like 3 hours straight.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Wait a minute, isn't the first episode of Demon Slayer: KNY Entertainment District an hour-long special? So then that means they probably ARE planning an Aniplex Power Hour!

They really ought to just let Dr. Stone lead off the block in 2024. Makes more sense to do that before AOT's 2-hour finale, which would most likely air 1/6/24. Then we'd get the hour-long Demon Slayer special on at 12:30 on 1/13/24 before the power hour starts with DS at 12:30 and Lycoris Recoil at 1 AM on 1/20/24.

And then when Dr. Stone ends its current arc in February it could be replaced by Ninja Kamui--that would be pretty sweet!

• Like 1

Bruh what the fuck is this, unexpected and unpredictable Toonami news? Something we all didn’t see coming from 6 miles away? Am I awake right now? Bit of an odd start date though, unless they are going to wedge in the AoT special and maybe even roll right into the next season of Demon Slayer. This has been creeping up my backlog chart, thankfully I kept telling myself “eh maybe later”. 

Anyway, the true gem of this announcement is that we finally got a non sequel show. 2023 still goes down as getting zero, but 2024 is starting off strong with one. But with Aniplex opening their door here, our possibilities expand quite a bit. 

This news isn’t even on the Facebook yet, did Aniplex get a little ahead of themselves on the reveal?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Bruh what the fuck is this, unexpected and unpredictable Toonami news? Something we all didn’t see coming from 6 miles away? Am I awake right now? Bit of an odd start date though, unless they are going to wedge in the AoT special and maybe even roll right into the next season of Demon Slayer. This has been creeping up my backlog chart, thankfully I kept telling myself “eh maybe later”. 

Anyway, the true gem of this announcement is that we finally got a non sequel show. 2023 still goes down as getting zero, but 2024 is starting off strong with one. But with Aniplex opening their door here, our possibilities expand quite a bit. 

This news isn’t even on the Facebook yet, did Aniplex get a little ahead of themselves on the reveal?

I think that's exactly what they're gonna do! Seems to make the most logical sense to explain the odd start date.

Just for the hell of it, here’s a theoretical schedule given what we know. I’d say if it were replacing Demon Slayer, it could just start the first week. Since it’s not, im taking that as a pointer towards more Demon Slayer.

12:00a - Demon Slayer

12:30a - Dr Stone

1:00a - Lycoris Recoil

1:30a - One Piece

2:00a - Naruto Shippuden

2:30a - IGPX

As expected, One Piece works as our flex slot. We need the space, so it trims down. If they can’t keep the good momentum going after Dr Stone ends, they simply bump Lycoris up to 12:30 and give OP double duty again. Actually, if that ends up being the case, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Lycoris start its run at 12:30, as Dr Stone would only have 2-3 more episodes left. 

Whatever the case, im just glad to see some evidence that they aren’t dicking around going into the new year. Maybe Naruto leaving is the kick in the pants they needed to get their shit together. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One more interesting observation about this show. I’ll admit, im giving myself a crash course on it as we speak, but it seems that the whole theme is girl protagonist with guns. 

1. It’s not the typical dreck from shonen jump with a male protag who is the chosen one

2. Its got guns, allegedly something Demarco had an issue with in recent years

Who picked this show for the block? Because it sure as shit wasn’t Demarco. Or did hell freeze over and we are about to witness a Demarco redemption arc? 

Gun Gale Online is also an Aniplex title, if Demarco truly pulled the stick out of his ass, could we possibly be seeing that next year too?

IMG_0858.jpeg

• Like 2

Well, this is a new development.

@Mr. Idea Box we got a new show for Toonami in January.

I could see this happening starting 1/20:

11:00: Scavenger's Reign

11:30: Demon Slayer

12:00: Lycoris Recoil

12:30: Dr. Stone

1:00: One Piece x2

2:00: Naruto Shippuden

2:30: IGPX

I did this because Scavenger's NEEDS to air ASAP, Dr. Stone doesn't end until Feb/March and I think they prolly want to keep the hour of One Piece.

Tho if they're still scared of airing action before 12AM, then this could work:

12:00: Demon Slayer

12:30: Lycoris Recoil

1:00: Dr. Stone

1:30: One Piece 

Then replace Dr. Stone with Scavenger's Reign in March at 12AM with Demon Slayer at 12:30 & Lycoris Recoil at 1. I'd probably bring back 3AM in the Spring for reruns of Superman and another show.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Premiering the simuldub of Dimension W, easy.

Either that or Michiko & Hatchin in 2015 though Akame was pretty surprising even if it was relatively popular at the time. Still, getting a random simuldub premiere of an untested property is pretty dang surprising.

Didn't expect Toonami to get Lycoris Recoil. 

Honestly, I have steered clear of this show, because I saw some clips in compilation videos on YouTube that showed fan service, and the girls look like tweens. 

I see now that ANN and MAL don't give the show fan service or ecchi tags.  I guess people have different definitions of fan service.  I just found a screen shot in a MAL thread that would definitely qualify as fan service.  I won't post it since it could technically count as a spoiler.  I guess people aren't counting it as fan service because it's "tasteful?"  That's debatable.

I looked on MAL and it says the two main characters are 16, and 17 years old.  So it's not as bad as I thought, but still, this isn't like some shows, like say Bleach, where the characters are high school students, but drawn more like college students.  These characters are supposedly 16 and 17, but look more like they are 14.

But I guess I have no choice but to watch it, since I am an ASA/Toonami completionist, and the pickings are so slim for the block, anyway.

Honestly that is what surprises me the most about Toonami getting this show.  I don't recall Demarco ever saying anything against getting shows with guns (we did have Black Lagoon and Hellsing of course,) but he ABHORS fan service.

4 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Honestly that is what surprises me the most about Toonami getting this show.  I don't recall Demarco ever saying anything against getting shows with guns (we did have Black Lagoon and Hellsing of course,) but he ABHORS fan service.

Hence the belief that this was either a package deal or a Gill pick.

I don't recall Demarco ever complaining about not wanting guns on the block either, but I do recall Alex von David loudly assuming that to be the reason Toonami didn't go for SAO:GGO instead of, oh I dunno, Kirito not being in it.

Edited by PokeNirvash
  • Like 1

Well hold on now. DeMarco actually said Lycoris Recoil is among his 10 favorite anime he watched in 2022 and it's in good company.

This list also makes me suspect that he'd sooner grab Ranking of Kings, G Witch or Spy x Family (or Mob) but Aniplex is being less dickish than the rest of SONY. DeMarco is probably still trying to get those shows and maybe they'll air in 2024.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 4:36 AM, Otakuninja9000 said:

Well, this is a new development.

@Mr. Idea Box we got a new show for Toonami in January.

I could see this happening starting 1/20:

11:00: Scavenger's Reign

11:30: Demon Slayer

12:00: Lycoris Recoil

12:30: Dr. Stone

1:00: One Piece x2

I did this because Scavenger's NEEDS to air ASAP, Dr. Stone doesn't end until Feb/March and I think they prolly want to keep the hour of One Piece.

Tho if they're still scared of airing action before 12AM, then this could work:

12:00: Demon Slayer

12:30: Lycoris Recoil

1:00: Dr. Stone

1:30: One Piece 

Then replace Dr. Stone with Scavenger's Reign in March at 12AM with Demon Slayer at 12:30 & Lycoris Recoil at 1. I'd probably bring back 3AM in the Spring for reruns of Superman and another show.

We're finally at the point where expansion seems decently plausible though I don't think they'd go straight to 11pm and maybe just have 11:30pm to start if they intend to show Scavengers early next year.  Then if that does well enough they could potentially expand again on March 16th with Uzumaki, Ninja Kamui, Superman or a worthwhile acquisition.

Your second scenario is very likely and while I don't want Dr. Stone to move down it makes sense to give the new show the higher slot even if Dr. Stone's episodes are much newer. Senku and co will do more than fine at 1am in that scenario.

If they intend to rerun Dr. Stone, Demon Slayer or even Lycoris Recoil then they might need some more wiggle room until Shippuden ends because IGPX will last until June. If they do show Uzumaki early next year then I could see them expanding for a rerun of that before giving that rerun slot to Dr. Stone, Demon Slayer or Lycoris Recoil.

Though I hate to see it go, I don't expect double One Piece to be a weekly occasion in 2024. They can double it up whenever they can't easily swap in something else and maybe it returns to full time doubled up airings when Shippuden ends but baring expansion they don't need to rely on doubled up One Piece to fill a spot in the middle of the block. At least not for a few months.

• Like 2

The fact that they actually a content pipeline open again after most of 2023 made it seem like Crunchyroll sealed off what they had with cement is welcome news.  It also reduces if not eliminates the need to make originals, which given their thimble of budget and warped priorities, was never going to work.  They don't have connections to existing IPs the way Netflix does, after all, DeMarco was the guy who asked Kojima to adapt Metal Gear into an anime, and Kojima LAUGHED HIS ASS OUT OF THE BUILDING.  DeMarco ain't digging up Martian Successor Nadiesco out of mothballs, so the smart play is to use the Aniplex pipeline to the hilt and occasionally air a Max castoff to fill the ends.  

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Sketch said:

We're finally at the point where expansion seems decently plausible though I don't think they'd go straight to 11pm and maybe just have 11:30pm to start if they intend to show Scavengers early next year.  Then if that does well enough they could potentially expand again on March 16th with Uzumaki, Ninja Kamui, Superman or a worthwhile acquisition

I disagree about expansion. Right now, we are eating really good and the schedule feels like it’s about to burst, but will that last? I highly doubt it. Dr Stone will be outta here in February, so they already have a little room to play with. Stone, DS and Lycoris all will be out of here before Naruto ends, so they have lots of upcoming space to play with, and even with a more cooperative Aniplex, I don’t think they can plug all those holes with acquired content. Stuff like Scavengers and Superman will serve the same purpose as filler shows did this year, to fill time and save money. The only thing that is really lost in a 3 hour schedule is the consistent double One Piece, which while fans enjoy, still eats up budget and non fans or fence riders would rather see that slot given to another show. I don’t think there is a scenario where we get to keep a flow of new shows and keep double OP. 

As for reruns, those just pop in as needed and aren’t a significant priority. Mugen Train will surely be the New Years or Christmas marathon, and if they think it still has juice in it they can cycle it again later in the year after it’s rested for a time. They presumably hold the license for one full year, so there is plenty of time to cycle those one at a time. 

21 hours ago, Sketch said:

Well hold on now. DeMarco actually said Lycoris Recoil is among his 10 favorite anime he watched in 2022 and it's in good company.

This list also makes me suspect that he'd sooner grab Ranking of Kings, G Witch or Spy x Family (or Mob) but Aniplex is being less dickish than the rest of SONY. DeMarco is probably still trying to get those shows and maybe they'll air in 2024.

Weird list considering we had Made in Abyss last year. Is he implying he didn’t actually watch it before adding it to the block? Same with Mob. I still stand by Lycoris being a really weird pick for him considering his attitude towards similar content. But that being said, he does say he loves Shield Hero, and among all the isekai he could pick he liked one of the most controversial ones. 

2 hours ago, Greener223224 said:

Why isn't he getting Mob Psycho Seasons 2 or 3

Mob isn’t Aniplex. Right now it seems like only shows held by Aniplex have a pathway onto the block. 

This is what Aniplex of America has https://aniplexusa.com/shows/

Of these shows which have dubs and didn't already air on Toonami the best picks are easily Mashle and Gun Gale Online. I suppose some people would still like to see Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Arc but it's been so long since the first series aired that seems pretty questionable. Though if they actually can show Baccano that would be awesome. Engage Kiss came out the same season as Lycoris Recoil and it's pretty neat from what I've seen but the heavy emphasis on kissing in the middle of action could turn viewers off. Kaguya-sama is fantastic and if there ever was a rom com worth trying that had no typical action in it, it's that one. Grancrest War is good fantasy sword and sorcery. Another off beat pick I'd love to see would be Cells at Work and Cells at Work: Code Black is even better for Adult Swim and goes some dark places. There's plenty of shows that would nicely fill a rotating slot after Lycoris finishes.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Of these shows which have dubs and didn't already air on Toonami the best picks are easily Mashle and Gun Gale Online. I suppose some people would still like to see Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Arc but it's been so long since the first series aired that seems pretty questionable. Though if they actually can show Baccano that would be awesome. Engage Kiss came out the same season as Lycoris Recoil and it's pretty neat from what I've seen but the heavy emphasis on kissing in the middle of action could turn viewers off. Kaguya-sama is fantastic and if there ever was a rom com worth trying that had no typical action in it, it's that one. Grancrest War is good fantasy sword and sorcery. Another off beat pick I'd love to see would be Cells at Work and Cells at Work: Code Black is even better for Adult Swim and goes some dark places. There's plenty of shows that would nicely fill a rotating slot after Lycoris finishes.

I can absolutely see Mashle making the cut. It’s got a new season starting in January. Yea it kinda feels like One Punch Man but he is a wizard now (but not really lol) but that’s a formula that just keeps working. 

GGO obviously just because the block is associated with SAO so significantly. 

Engage Kiss is incredibly action dense which to me made the mid action kiss scenes not even noticeable. Bro pipes a nun like halfway in though (like actually pipes not the will they won’t they crap) so I don’t think that one would get the Demarco stamp of approval. 

I have seen requests for Kaguya ever since the first season. It’s never too late to give a new genre a try and this one is so widely liked the risk of it tanking is pretty low. 

I know at this point Madoka is pushing 13 years old, but I still think it deserves a Toonami run. It’s one of the defining anime of the 2010s. If Demarco needs to scratch the “old” itch, better something like this than another recycled 90s show. If it goes over well they could air Magia Record. Since they can’t afford movies, they can never make everyone mad with Rebellion.

I enjoyed Darwin’s Game, but I think that might be tied up on Netflix. If not, it has my vote.

Toonami has never touched video game adaptations, but that doesn’t mean I don’t think Nier Automata wouldn’t be a great pick. 2b is a popular enough character that people will recognize but may not actually know anything about which I feel would drive some engagement. 

I don’t care what anyone says, I like battle harems. So The Asterisk War and The Irregular at Magic High School has my support. Toonami viewers want to see action and tits, so those would be ideal 1am time filler. I believe Irregular only recently got a dub, so it would be good promotion for Aniplex. It’s also one of the few I have yet to watch myself. 

The Misfit of Demon King Academy is comedy gold, one of those shows where you aren’t sure if it’s supposed to be a parody or not. I’d love to see this dude spin an entire castle on his finger like a basketball on basic cable. Unfortunately, I’m only seeing S2 on this list, so they don’t have both I guess? Can’t have two without one. 

I could go on but I’ll just stop here. My concern for the future isn’t lack of options, if Aniplex is playing ball, they have plenty of toys to play with. I have two main ones. 

1. How thick is the Toonami budget for 2024? No money, no shows unless Aniplex just gives things to the block. They might offer deals but I think the era of just getting things for free is long over. 

2. Is Lycoris Recoil a sign of Demarco finally broadening his horizons, or is it our bi-annual oddball pick that sneaks by to the confusion of everyone? If this is just a pick he liked that fell in his lap, that’s not going to be a recurring thing. 

If we reach the spring where these new pickups start wrapping up and they all get actual acquired replacements, that might open me up to the need for more time just to squeeze on some of the obligations. 

I remember a similar look through the Sentai warchest when that was deemed to be an option, only for DeMarco to not go near anything there.  So this may be a case of having too high expectations just because something good finally fell in.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Sketch said:

Of these shows which have dubs and didn't already air on Toonami the best picks are easily Mashle and Gun Gale Online. I suppose some people would still like to see Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Arc but it's been so long since the first series aired that seems pretty questionable. 

Isn't Japan actually producing new Blue Exorcist in 2024? And damn right Cells At Work would be a great pick! Might even try a Toonami block on Science Channel between that and reruns of Dr. Stone, making good use of the Discovery connection for once!

Nah, that's a stretch...

5 hours ago, Jman said:

I remember a similar look through the Sentai warchest when that was deemed to be an option, only for DeMarco to not go near anything there.  So this may be a case of having too high expectations just because something good finally fell in.

That’s why I remain skeptical for now. I enjoy tossing ideas around, but I’m also being realistic that Lycoris may end up being a one off thing and we go right back to how things were when it ends. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 11:04 PM, Sketch said:

We're finally at the point where expansion seems decently plausible though I don't think they'd go straight to 11pm and maybe just have 11:30pm to start if they intend to show Scavengers early next year.  Then if that does well enough they could potentially expand again on March 16th with Uzumaki, Ninja Kamui, Superman or a worthwhile acquisition.

Right, but starting or ending on the half hour is just.....weird............

And I don't think Uzumaki has a chance until next Fall. Superman prolly won't come out 'till summer and I think Ninja Kamui could be more of a late summer thing. However, maybe there's a chance that Bleach: The Thousand Year Blood War, Zom 100, Urusei Yatsura, Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken or Undead Unluck could air this year as well......

Or we could get another out of left field pickup......

On 11/19/2023 at 11:04 PM, Sketch said:

Your second scenario is very likely and while I don't want Dr. Stone to move down it makes sense to give the new show the higher slot even if Dr. Stone's episodes are much newer. Senku and co will do more than fine at 1am in that scenario.

If they intend to rerun Dr. Stone, Demon Slayer or even Lycoris Recoil then they might need some more wiggle room until Shippuden ends because IGPX will last until June. If they do show Uzumaki early next year then I could see them expanding for a rerun of that before giving that rerun slot to Dr. Stone, Demon Slayer or Lycoris Recoil.

Though I hate to see it go, I don't expect double One Piece to be a weekly occasion in 2024. They can double it up whenever they can't easily swap in something else and maybe it returns to full time doubled up airings when Shippuden ends but baring expansion they don't need to rely on doubled up One Piece to fill a spot in the middle of the block. At least not for a few months.

Right, and I do think that would be a better overall choice for Toonami next year.

On 11/20/2023 at 8:43 AM, Jman said:

The fact that they actually a content pipeline open again after most of 2023 made it seem like Crunchyroll sealed off what they had with cement is welcome news.  It also reduces if not eliminates the need to make originals, which given their thimble of budget and warped priorities, was never going to work.  They don't have connections to existing IPs the way Netflix does, after all, DeMarco was the guy who asked Kojima to adapt Metal Gear into an anime, and Kojima LAUGHED HIS ASS OUT OF THE BUILDING.  DeMarco ain't digging up Martian Successor Nadiesco out of mothballs, so the smart play is to use the Aniplex pipeline to the hilt and occasionally air a Max castoff to fill the ends.  

Right. Wait, they almost made a Metal Gear anime? Damnit........

On 11/20/2023 at 6:35 PM, Toonamiguy321 said:

I disagree about expansion. Right now, we are eating really good and the schedule feels like it’s about to burst, but will that last? I highly doubt it. Dr Stone will be outta here in February, so they already have a little room to play with. Stone, DS and Lycoris all will be out of here before Naruto ends, so they have lots of upcoming space to play with, and even with a more cooperative Aniplex, I don’t think they can plug all those holes with acquired content. Stuff like Scavengers and Superman will serve the same purpose as filler shows did this year, to fill time and save money. The only thing that is really lost in a 3 hour schedule is the consistent double One Piece, which while fans enjoy, still eats up budget and non fans or fence riders would rather see that slot given to another show. I don’t think there is a scenario where we get to keep a flow of new shows and keep double OP. 

As for reruns, those just pop in as needed and aren’t a significant priority. Mugen Train will surely be the New Years or Christmas marathon, and if they think it still has juice in it they can cycle it again later in the year after it’s rested for a time. They presumably hold the license for one full year, so there is plenty of time to cycle those one at a time. 

Weird list considering we had Made in Abyss last year. Is he implying he didn’t actually watch it before adding it to the block? Same with Mob. I still stand by Lycoris being a really weird pick for him considering his attitude towards similar content. But that being said, he does say he loves Shield Hero, and among all the isekai he could pick he liked one of the most controversial ones. 

Mob isn’t Aniplex. Right now it seems like only shows held by Aniplex have a pathway onto the block. 

Right, but I also think 2024 could be the year Cartoon Network as a whole starts redeeming itself.........I'm not pinning on it at this point, but it's nice to just imagine a good year rather than a year CN actually died...........

18 hours ago, Sketch said:

Those could all really work. Aldonalh.Zero also looks cool.

17 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I can absolutely see Mashle making the cut. It’s got a new season starting in January. Yea it kinda feels like One Punch Man but he is a wizard now (but not really lol) but that’s a formula that just keeps working. 

GGO obviously just because the block is associated with SAO so significantly. 

Engage Kiss is incredibly action dense which to me made the mid action kiss scenes not even noticeable. Bro pipes a nun like halfway in though (like actually pipes not the will they won’t they crap) so I don’t think that one would get the Demarco stamp of approval. 

I have seen requests for Kaguya ever since the first season. It’s never too late to give a new genre a try and this one is so widely liked the risk of it tanking is pretty low. 

I know at this point Madoka is pushing 13 years old, but I still think it deserves a Toonami run. It’s one of the defining anime of the 2010s. If Demarco needs to scratch the “old” itch, better something like this than another recycled 90s show. If it goes over well they could air Magia Record. Since they can’t afford movies, they can never make everyone mad with Rebellion.

I enjoyed Darwin’s Game, but I think that might be tied up on Netflix. If not, it has my vote.

Toonami has never touched video game adaptations, but that doesn’t mean I don’t think Nier Automata wouldn’t be a great pick. 2b is a popular enough character that people will recognize but may not actually know anything about which I feel would drive some engagement. 

I don’t care what anyone says, I like battle harems. So The Asterisk War and The Irregular at Magic High School has my support. Toonami viewers want to see action and tits, so those would be ideal 1am time filler. I believe Irregular only recently got a dub, so it would be good promotion for Aniplex. It’s also one of the few I have yet to watch myself. 

The Misfit of Demon King Academy is comedy gold, one of those shows where you aren’t sure if it’s supposed to be a parody or not. I’d love to see this dude spin an entire castle on his finger like a basketball on basic cable. Unfortunately, I’m only seeing S2 on this list, so they don’t have both I guess? Can’t have two without one. 

I could go on but I’ll just stop here. My concern for the future isn’t lack of options, if Aniplex is playing ball, they have plenty of toys to play with. I have two main ones. 

1. How thick is the Toonami budget for 2024? No money, no shows unless Aniplex just gives things to the block. They might offer deals but I think the era of just getting things for free is long over. 

2. Is Lycoris Recoil a sign of Demarco finally broadening his horizons, or is it our bi-annual oddball pick that sneaks by to the confusion of everyone? If this is just a pick he liked that fell in his lap, that’s not going to be a recurring thing. 

If we reach the spring where these new pickups start wrapping up and they all get actual acquired replacements, that might open me up to the need for more time just to squeeze on some of the obligations. 

Right, and in fact, all of these potential pickups backed with the new originals and Scavenger's Reign and Superman could make next year a good year.

12 hours ago, Jman said:

Eh.......at this rate, other than Eizouken and Urusei Yatsura, I've basically written off the possibility of any other Sentai series airing on Toonami.

8 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Isn't Japan actually producing new Blue Exorcist in 2024? And damn right Cells At Work would be a great pick! Might even try a Toonami block on Science Channel between that and reruns of Dr. Stone, making good use of the Discovery connection for once!

Nah, that's a stretch...

Toonami on Science? That'd be weird as hell, but this would be cool and be made full of awesome!

Toonami on Cartoon Network

WEEKDAYS

5:00PM: Steven Universe

5:30PM: One Piece - NEW!

6:00PM: Naruto Shippuden

6:30PM: Young Justice

SATURDAYS

7:00PM: Digimon Adventure(2020) - NEW!

7:30PM: Jade Armor - NEW!

8:00PM: Villainous - NEW!

8:30PM: Gremlins: Secrets of the Mogwai - NEW!

9:00PM: One Piece - NEW!

9:30PM: Mashle - NEW!

10:00PM: Young Justice - NEW!

10:30PM: Dr. Stone - NEW!

6 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

That’s why I remain skeptical for now. I enjoy tossing ideas around, but I’m also being realistic that Lycoris may end up being a one off thing and we go right back to how things were when it ends. 

Right.

• Confused 1

The Metal Gear story is only notable because Kojima laughed DeMarco's ass out of the building.  He never had a chance to make Metal Gear.

That being said, the Metal Gear movie is eyeball deep in Development Hell, despite TECHNICALLY casting Oscar Issac as Solid Snake.  So maybe it's a draw.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jman said:

The Metal Gear story is only notable because Kojima laughed DeMarco's ass out of the building.  He never had a chance to make Metal Gear.

That being said, the Metal Gear movie is eyeball deep in Development Hell, despite TECHNICALLY casting Oscar Issac as Solid Snake.  So maybe it's a draw.

Damn..........where did you hear of this rumor that Demarco asked for a Metal Gear anime?

22 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

I feel like a lot of people would be uncomfortable watching a series that paints cancer in a sympathetic light when the main character's voice actor died from cancer pretty recently. 😬

You have a point. Maybe at least wait a few months for that?

Nah, that happened in 2022, so that's old news in 2024. Besides, aren't there VAs who are now dead in currently-airing and newly-remastered IGPX?

Interesting that he was actually replaced by Gundam IBO star Kyle McCarley in the spinoff Code Black...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

I feel like a lot of people would be uncomfortable watching a series that paints cancer in a sympathetic light when the main character's voice actor died from cancer pretty recently. 😬

That was like 2 years ago. And the vast majority of viewers don’t keep up with VA news or even know most of their names. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

That's because WBC and RBC from the original Cells at Work are completely different characters from WBC and RBC from Code Black. A recast was not only inevitable, but inappropriate to even be called a "recast".

Thanks. Though I never knew that, that DOES make sense. After all, it does involve a different person from the original Cells At Work. Still, I suppose it's not THAT far-fetched that cells with the same jobs in different people might have the same voices either? 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, korosu said:

Buddy that article is from 21 years ago. Modern day Demarco hates fanservice. Look up his interview about Progressive and Alternative where he talks about intentionally removing fanservice from FLCL. 

And let’s not forget this gem from Kill la Kill.

IMG_1802.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 6:47 AM, PokeNirvash said:

Hence the belief that this was either a package deal or a Gill pick.

I don't recall Demarco ever complaining about not wanting guns on the block either, but I do recall Alex von David loudly assuming that to be the reason Toonami didn't go for SAO:GGO instead of, oh I dunno, Kirito not being in it.

Yeah, GGO is a spin-off.  But Kirito not being in it and the story being written by another author might make it more appealing to people who don't like the main SAO series.

On 11/19/2023 at 7:46 PM, Sketch said:

Wow, so Demarco really did like Lycoris Recoil.  I'm shocked.

Demarco will be hard-pressed to get most of those shows, especially Cyberpunk, since it's a Netflix show.  I'm not aware of any cases of Netflix leasing out their originals.  

Most of the shows mentioned in the thread wouldn't be too bad to air.  I watched through Kaguya-sama a while back and it is really well done.  It would be another non-action show after Food Wars and that other show.  Yes Madoka is legendary and should be aired.  

Most of the stuff mentioned I wouldn't mind airing.  Though it makes me wonder if I should avoid watching any of the shows on the list any time soon, in case Toonami gets them.

I recently watched Irregular at Magic High School and hope it doesn't get aired.  It's full of a bunch of technobabble bullshit that never makes any sense.

At the risk of having my cake and eating it too, I hope we can still have double One Piece AND plenty of new shows. 😄

On 11/23/2023 at 4:58 AM, EmpressAngel said:

What??  Why the hell would show do that?  So strange.  And that's regardless of what happened to the voice actor. 

• Thanks 1

It's a foregone conclusion that either December 23rd or 30th has to at least be an incoherent expansion just to get in all 7 episodes of Demon Slayer: Mugen Train in a marathon.

Might as well keep it going on January 6th and beyond if it's the latter!

Hell, maybe it will expand enough for all 11 episodes of the Entertainment District arc to air in an all-night marathon at some point, and since [as] is 13 hours now there would still be room for plenty of other shows on the lineup with a 6.25-hour marathon!