UnevenEdge

Breaking News! Lycoris Recoil coming to Toonami January 20th

3ngag3

6 hours ago, ben0119 said:

What??  Why the hell would show do that?  So strange.  And that's regardless of what happened to the voice actor. 

At its core, Cells at Work is edutainment.  Very bloody edutainment, but edutainment all the same about how the body works and how diseases work.  My guess is they looked at how cancer functioned as this uncontrollable mutation and reproduction of cells and saw it as more inherently tragic than a foreign virus.  I still believe #FuckCancer, but I get why they went that route in the name of educating the audience about how it functions.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Buddy that article is from 21 years ago. Modern day Demarco hates fanservice. Look up his interview about Progressive and Alternative where he talks about intentionally removing fanservice from FLCL. 

And let’s not forget this gem from Kill la Kill.

IMG_1802.jpeg

I'm not your buddy.

Let me think here, Kill la Kill episode 16. What happened in that episode, again? Surely it wasn't mere fan service...

2 hours ago, korosu said:

I'm not your buddy.

Let me think here, Kill la Kill episode 16. What happened in that episode, again? Surely it wasn't mere fan service...

Ragyo molested Satsuki (her daughter) in the bath in... more-than-merely-suggestive detail. It was more than a little excessive, the monologue she dropped was reiterated moments later by Mikisugi, and the truncated version got the point across of what was going on well enough. I'm not nearly as bothered by how they handled it as the dregs of /co/ want me to be.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, korosu said:

I'm not your buddy.

“We edited it as little as possible” turned into just cutting like 3 full minutes out of the episode. Like they had time to run the OP in full that week just to fill the gaping hole left by the sloppy cut. And if you don’t like that one, KLK has plenty of other moronic cuts. 

And it doesn’t change my main point. The Demarco of 21 years ago is a completely different person. He was actually kind of cool back then. The terminally on twitter Demarco has been warped by internet culture where you have to wear all the correct opinions on your sleeve for all your followers to see and pat you on the back for. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

“We edited it as little as possible” turned into just cutting like 3 full minutes out of the episode.

It was one minute, you stupid idiot bastard. One and a half tops. We know you love to exaggerate for the sake of emphasis, but there's a point where it becomes straight-up dishonesty.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Jman said:

At its core, Cells at Work is edutainment.  Very bloody edutainment, but edutainment all the same about how the body works and how diseases work.  My guess is they looked at how cancer functioned as this uncontrollable mutation and reproduction of cells and saw it as more inherently tragic than a foreign virus.  I still believe #FuckCancer, but I get why they went that route in the name of educating the audience about how it functions.  

Yeah, the series is usually pretty good at getting the basic science right, even when it's dressed up in its fun anthropomorphic style. The cancer cell encounters were meant to make the point that cancer originates from the body's own cells instead of being a foreign invader. Granted they probably went a bit too far with the "I'm a cell like you" angle, since no one who's had a personal encounter with cancer would ever have a single iota of sympathy for it, but the underlying point was valid. Something I'd never thought about until the show pointed it out was that all of our bodies occasionally produce new cells with mutated DNA, but our immune systems generally manage to remove them before they cause a problem. It's only when the process breaks down and these cells manage to gain a foothold somewhere that they become cancerous.

As a fun aside, in addition to Code Black which got its own anime adaptation, there are at least a half-dozen other spinoff manga of the main series. The one set in a baby is a thinly-veiled excuse to draw chibi versions of all the characters, but the recent one set in a woman's body seemed like it had some fun potential.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Yeah, the series is usually pretty good at getting the basic science right, even when it's dressed up in its fun anthropomorphic style. The cancer cell encounters were meant to make the point that cancer originates from the body's own cells instead of being a foreign invader. Granted they probably went a bit too far with the "I'm a cell like you" angle, since no one who's had a personal encounter with cancer would ever have a single iota of sympathy for it, but the underlying point was valid. Something I'd never thought about until the show pointed it out was that all of our bodies occasionally produce new cells with mutated DNA, but our immune systems generally manage to remove them before they cause a problem. It's only when the process breaks down and these cells manage to gain a foothold somewhere that they become cancerous.

As a fun aside, in addition to Code Black which got its own anime adaptation, there are at least a half-dozen other spinoff manga of the main series. The one set in a baby is a thinly-veiled excuse to draw chibi versions of all the characters, but the recent one set in a woman's body seemed like it had some fun potential.

Code Black showing the inside of a body that is in shambles honestly makes it the best one for Adult Swim even if it might feel odd to air that and not the original.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

It was one minute, you stupid idiot bastard. One and a half tops. We know you love to exaggerate for the sake of emphasis, but there's a point where it becomes straight-up dishonesty.

You know, 21 years ago you couldn't call someone a "stupid idiot bastard" 'cuz you'd get b& for flaming if you tried! 🤣

11 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Haha, those mentalist tricks that Gen showed us in last nights Dr Stone actually work in real life. A little bit more hostility, but other than that, a flawless recreation. 

6 hours ago, Sketch said:

Code Black showing the inside of a body that is in shambles honestly makes it the best one for Adult Swim even if it might feel odd to air that and not the original.

If offending the audience is the concern, showing most Adult Swim viewers what their insides look like is probably the faster way to do it. 

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

Yea this is a little unexpected, I thought Dr Stone would migrate to 1am here. This strongly implies we are NOT going back to double One Piece for awhile and they have something of significance for 12:30. 

Kinda thought they would do a little more to announce Lycoris since it’s their first new title since Jan 2022. Just threw the schedule out there like everyone already knows what it is. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Well, THIS is unexpected.

FB_IMG_1702659894467.jpg

Questioning breaking up Dr. Stone and One Piece with Lycoris Recoil in-between, but it's just temporary for like 3 weeks anyway. This indicates they may also have a plan for the 12:30 slot when Season 3 of Dr. Stone ends in early February!

I figured it was going to either be 12:30 or 1:00 that gets the Lycoris Recoil slot. Although, looking closer into this block, I think pairing it with both Dr. Stone and One Piece does show some faith in the pickup. At least it could get a couple of viewers compared to IGPX.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Kinda whack that Lycoris isn't getting 12:30 even temporarily but if they have something major coming to 12:30 or bumping Demon Slayer to 12:30 then that does make some sense.

Meanwhile the Dr. Stone airing schedule is more than a little hard to follow for people not entirely up on Toonami's upcoming schedules. This week they suddenly drop an extra episode with mere days notice on the AS site schedule (DVRs might not adjust accordingly in time) then it takes 3 weeks off and doesn't come back in the time slot people expect it to be but one week later it's back to that prior time slot. Sure it's always directly after Demon Slayer but if they had kept it at 1am then you could look at this week as a transition from the 12:30 to 1am slot and then when it comes back after 3 weeks it's still in the 1am slot till it ends. But oh well. I'm not too concerned about Dr. Stone or even Lycoris Recoil being at 1am instead of 12:30 but given it's a totally new show for the block it would have been nice if it wasn't airing a full hour into it where it's less likely to be noticed because of the people that will peace out after Demon Slayer or Dr. Stone.

I hope whatever is coming to replace Dr. Stone is worth slightly undercutting Lycoris for. If it's encores of Rickanime which could easily be slotted at 11:30 instead of midnight, then that's just stupid and they should bring back Two Piece instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...