UnevenEdge

the night shift

19 minutes ago, The_annoying_one said:

I was usually never on past 11 in the ASMB days. Now, I’m here most hours of the night (mostly lurking). Insomnia FTW!

i think thats when things started to slow down, it was around 9pm on the west. but daytime posting was at a crazy high speed. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

i think thats when things started to slow down, it was around 9pm on the west. but daytime posting was at a crazy high speed. 

I remember. Post flooding was a very real possibility most days. Now, I only average about 5-10 posts a day.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

I think pre-2008 or so IB was still hella fast at all hours of the night.

thats true, those times it was popping in ib at all times!

i just remembered it being much easier to keep up with the place at night than in the breakneck speed of the day. 

9 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

for sure started noticing more when i went to pod 6.

ib started slowing down a bunch after 2010, but pod 6 really held its own. 

I actually started night posting in Prospero, partly because I’m a left coaster and partly because there were fewer people posting.  Too hard to keep up in threads during the day.

It always surprised me whenever I’d have a sleepless night & pop into IB at about 5 or 6 am. There’d be a lot more people online than there should’ve been.

These days, I come here around that time when I can’t sleep, and there’s usually only one person online. I always wonder what that one person is doing….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_annoying_one said:

It always surprised me whenever I’d have a sleepless night & pop into IB at about 5 or 6 am. There’d be a lot more people online than there should’ve been.

*waves*

I don't know how many of my posts ended with "Ope, I hear the birds chirping.  Guess this is goodnight then!"

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, The_annoying_one said:

Now that you mention it, I do remember that. Funny how little snippets of the ASMB days are slowly coming back lately.

:RoboSurprise::RoboTeeth: Yeah?  Lol, it was like "Night!"  and then Blayze would saunter in after getting home from work.  There was a brief time where I'm not sure when I slept.  Either IBing or gaming - there were a bunch of us that started playing Halo PvP at one point.

Edited by Vela
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Raptorpat said:

it was kind of crazy that there were whole ecosystems of posters at different times of day

It gives you an idea how big the ASMB community was that you could find someone with similar interests in the same time zone (or at least the next times zone) that you could end up AIM chatting with.  I was lucky I ended up in the same zone as Gina because I had someone to talk with that appreciated a more deep look at anime than a lot of other posters did.  It was right when I was getting into anime too.

Just now, Distortedreasoning said:

i kinda remember that one, reality tv show cartoon. didnt watch it much. 

Yeah, it's one of those series that's easily forgettable, but for those that know, they know. As I recall Comedy Central didn't give it a whole lot of support while it was around, or at least that's how I recall the staff reacting.

4 minutes ago, LoverDemon said:

Yeah, it's one of those series that's easily forgettable, but for those that know, they know. As I recall Comedy Central didn't give it a whole lot of support while it was around, or at least that's how I recall the staff reacting.

like i said, i wasnt watching much comedy central outside of south park so that show fell through the cracks for me. good to know it was a decent show. 

30 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

what was even on comedy central worth watching aside from south park and chappelle show? 

Used to be a fun place, believe it or not.

Besides DT like already mentioned (and I’m well aware that one’s tough to win some over these days), Daily Show and Comedy Central Presents used to be something I’d genuinely look forward to.

I don’t think myself or others would ever care much for stand-up comedy if it wasn’t for that channel. They got me into all that Friars Club shit at a young age.

Edited by [classic swim]
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 11:08 PM, LoverDemon said:

Drawn Together I think is a hidden gem from them personally. (The movie wasn't great though.)

I loved Drawn Together and I really hope for a revival. They have so much material to work with these days it's not even funny.

1 hour ago, nameraka said:

i worked the late shift back then and typically got on from about midnight to 3 or whenever I passed out. 

now i'm usually in bed by...

jesus christ, what fucking time is it? :(

i try to sleep by 11pm the latest now, so i feel you in that one. i try not to work night shift again. 

25 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

i try to sleep by 11pm the latest now, so i feel you in that one. i try not to work night shift again. 

I’m aiming for 11pm each night too and trying to cut out screens 30 min before bed.

Lately I’ve been failing one or both. ☹️

• Sad 3

I basically freelance and work throughout the day (outside of Sunday which is my day to generally do whatever I want to do), but I find the time to do whatever I want outside of when I'm working, such as posting here, which allows me to decompress.

• Like 1

At one time, I worked from 1 pm - 9 pm at a store, then 10 pm - 6 am at the radio station, and back to the store at 7 am until 5 pm.

That didn't last very long thankfully.  Now I'm lucky if I can stay awake until 11 pm.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tsar4 said:

At one time, I worked from 1 pm - 9 pm at a store, then 10 pm - 6 am at the radio station, and back to the store at 7 am until 5 pm.

That didn't last very long thankfully.  Now I'm lucky if I can stay awake until 11 pm.

Why... why would you do that to yourself.....  Were you on the verge of being evicted/foreclosed on or something?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Why... why would you do that to yourself.....  Were you on the verge of being evicted/foreclosed on or something?

Newbie at the station, so I got the overnight learning slot.  A one day a week stint wasn't going to pay for everything (especially at minimum wage).  Most the other jocks that were a couple years into radio were traveling between stations.  You had to be outside the broadcast reach of any station you worked at, so guys were traveling 80 mi or more between stations.  I was Point of Sale associate at the store I was working at & making much better money there, but I wanted to do radio.  I didn't think I could make a go of it money-wise, so I joined the retailer's Management program.  The station's Program Director came into the store and tried to get me back, I was no standout, but I was reliable.  

18 hours ago, tsar4 said:

that sounds terrible. i can feel the burnout just reading that