UnevenEdge

Hogwarts Legacy

Greeny

7 minutes ago, Jman said:

The internet has lost its mind and at this point all I can think is - You’re still buying AAA games Day 1.  You know there’s going to be bugs out the ass and a lot of patches.

I didn't buy it and have no plans to. It just looks pretty boring to me. Maybe when it's $20.

Meh.

The game is probably fine but I never cared for Harry Potter. Always seemed kinda bland.

Like, my Harry Potter growing up was more along the lines of A Wrinkle in Time or Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, so I was spoiled by authors with creativity.

It's not impossible that I might play it someday on a used copy or something. But, like, probably not for multiple years.

I waited to buy it until I heard from friends how it worked. A few of them took the day off of work to play it and are raving about it. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive. So far it sure seems like its living up to the hype.

Purchased it and installing it now.  I cannot wait to play it this weekend.

All the drama around it is dumb as hell as well. And the people out there trying to actively spoil it because someone is daring to enjoy a game are childish as hell. Takes a special kind of joyless and miserable person to try and ruin someone having a good time.

33 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

I waited to buy it until I heard from friends how it worked. A few of them took the day off of work to play it and are raving about it. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive. So far it sure seems like its living up to the hype.

Purchased it and installing it now.  I cannot wait to play it this weekend.

All the drama around it is dumb as hell as well. And the people out there trying to actively spoil it because someone is daring to enjoy a game are childish as hell. Takes a special kind of joyless and miserable person to try and ruin someone having a good time.

Wow, that almost sounds as bad as the murder rates of those in the trans community. It's so rude of them to not want folks to give money to a person who endangers their lives on a daily basis. Why can't they let you play your little anti-Semitic game in peace? I swear, always running your bitch ass mouth about shit while trying to sound like you ain't doin' a thing. Aren't you tired of the 'Aw shucks bigot' routine yet? 

• Like 4

....I somehow avoided all the hype surrounding this and just now even know it's a thing.

My daughter used to be into hatty potter but that was years ago...I was still burning DVDs then.  Not sure if she even cares now...

I certainly don't and I just more than anything want to know why this is supposed to be fun.  I'm not really a franchise snob, I played the first LOTR games because they were fun but knew fuck all about the books and films....so if it's actually fun, I might play....but it doesn't look fun from what I've seen...at least not ground breaking.

2 hours ago, André Toulon said:

....I somehow avoided all the hype surrounding this and just now even know it's a thing.

My daughter used to be into hatty potter but that was years ago...I was still burning DVDs then.  Not sure if she even cares now...

I certainly don't and I just more than anything want to know why this is supposed to be fun.  I'm not really a franchise snob, I played the first LOTR games because they were fun but knew fuck all about the books and films....so if it's actually fun, I might play....but it doesn't look fun from what I've seen...at least not ground breaking.

The thing with HP is that if I think of any of the worldbuilding, I feel icky as hell because Rowling has been fucked up. It's not just the goblins. She pretty much considers any culture outside of her own as beneath hers and barely worth acknowledging other than aesthetics. The whole wizardry world is fascism from top to bottom, and what did Rowling add after having years and money to improve upon it? That wizards shit on the floor. I'm fucking embarrassed for having been into her books. The only things she's good at are swiping magical school tropes from earlier books and channeling some of her past grief. It's why she can't write anything coherently as a prequel or sequel; there isn't much for her to borrow for those kind of stories.

Edited by DragonSinger
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 8:04 PM, André Toulon said:

Only bad things I've heard about it are that it's poorly optimized for PC and there's a serious lack of enemy variety. 

2 hours ago, Greeny said:

Only bad things I've heard about it are that it's poorly optimized for PC and there's a serious lack of enemy variety. 

That's because Warner Brothers gets to hire writers instead of relying on Rowling to handle the overall story like Fantastic Beasts where they're stuck with her playing a larger part.

Am I seriously going to be the first person here to write a more serious review? Fine, so be it. I'm gonna focus more on the creative liberties involved, which Rowling had no part in anyway.

Playing it makes you realize no one ever really had a fully fleshed out idea of how Hogwarts interconnects with all the various areas. Moaning Myrtle's bathroom is right next to the Slytherin common room entrance, when it was supposed to be on the second floor. Also, the entrance doesn't feel as deep as it should, as the Slytherin common room is under the lake, and Hogwarts is on a small cliff. The grand staircase doesn't really feel that grand and is much more circular this time around than previous iterations. I could go on and on about many of the "mistakes" but I realized they did what they could to try to incorporate the layout from the movies into this video game. The Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom looks just like it does in the movies. With the oldest adaptations of the Harry Potter games, they just freely did whatever to try building a world and relied on loading screens for any shortcomings. Honestly, it may have been more interesting if they just built a new Hogwarts layout from scratch. All in all, it makes me appreciate the field of architecture more.

Anyway, so far it seems to be an all right game. I'm only playing it here and there, as I don't have much free time anymore. I have obviously been more interested in the design than the gameplay, and it seems the creators were aware there would be people like me.

Edited by Insipid

On 2/10/2023 at 9:58 PM, DragonSinger said:

The thing with HP is that if I think of any of the worldbuilding, I feel icky as hell because Rowling has been fucked up. It's not just the goblins. She pretty much considers any culture outside of her own as beneath hers and barely worth acknowledging other than aesthetics. The whole wizardry world is fascism from top to bottom, and what did Rowling add after having years and money to improve upon it? That wizards shit on the floor. I'm fucking embarrassed for having been into her books. The only things she's good at are swiping magical school tropes from earlier books and channeling some of her past grief. It's why she can't write anything coherently as a prequel or sequel; there isn't much for her to borrow for those kind of stories.

In retrospect, Rowling was pretty weak at worldbuilding. The wizarding world had to remain secret but still respected modern muggle sovereignty; i.e. there were witches from France, Germany, etc. She could have made it more interested by including Atlantis or a secret Norse tribe or some shit. She definitely is no Tolkien.

I dunno. I definitely see her shortcomings as an author. She is a pretty shitty person too, I know. It's one unfortunate circumstance of separating the art from the artist for me. I think I'll always enjoy Harry Potter though. I only consider the seven books as canon though. Fantastic Beasts series and Rowling's retconning don't mean shit to me.

4 hours ago, Insipid said:

In retrospect, Rowling was pretty weak at worldbuilding. The wizarding world had to remain secret but still respected modern muggle sovereignty; i.e. there were witches from France, Germany, etc. She could have made it more interested by including Atlantis or a secret Norse tribe or some shit. She definitely is no Tolkien.

I dunno. I definitely see her shortcomings as an author. She is a pretty shitty person too, I know. It's one unfortunate circumstance of separating the art from the artist for me. I think I'll always enjoy Harry Potter though. I only consider the seven books as canon though. Fantastic Beasts series and Rowling's retconning don't mean shit to me.

I think it's easier to still enjoy if a lot of that stuff goes over your head. Like it doesn't just smack you in the face right when you read them because before she went full dickhole, a lot of her fucked up stuff was more European coded. I learned a bunch of that stuff while deep diving into fairy tales to avoid Disney trademarked shit that unconsciously imprints on your brain as a kid and finding anti-Semitism behind so many stories or hatred towards the Roma and disabilities.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It looked like your standard licensed game that copy/pasted its best aspects from better games.

Trying to put The Witcher or Souls-like combat in a game where your only attack is wand projectiles also looks & sounds miserable.

HP is also a poisoned franchise with the terrible prequel trilogy and the author’s unfiltered idiocy.

The combination of spite-buying from transphobes and WB’s desperate marketing push made people talk about it more than it needed to be discussed.

And now it’s barely seeing the FOMO hype it got from February as people moved onto hyping Star Wars’ latest Souls-like game.

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2023 at 10:33 PM, Distortedreasoning said:

i heard the ps4 port was pretty good, so i you still have that you should check it out.

i got the pc version and found myself enjoying it more than i thought i would

Yes, I still have my PS4. I use it all the time.