UnevenEdge

2024 Presidential Elections: the schadenfreude commences

NewBluntsworth

6 minutes ago, Jman said:

At this point the Trump campaign and honestly GOP ideology is this self-propelled hate machine.  "Owning the libs" is the top priority, over environmental safety, economic safety, or even basic human decency.  Liberals can be annoying.  But the driving philosophy of these boomers is "I don't care if I'm miserable, so long as others are more miserable, and if I show enough loyalty to the Party, I'll be uplifted."

If any of them bothered to read 1984 in depth, they would understand that the key tenent of The Party is that the masses must be made to be miserable, because that's how they keep their power.  They want power and money for its own sake, and only be keeping everyone miserable can that be allowed.

I’m just surprised that she went down the “I’m just gonna make shit up” route

Trump did a political stunt the clown media outlets trying to make it seem like it was honest work is what’s actually making people laugh at him

Trump and the GOP remind me of that saying “the greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the masses that he doesn’t exist” 

100% people like Trump win only because of those voting against their own interests to “own the libs”

I sure feel owned because some jerk off, living in a trailer with no power, voted for Trump 🙄😆🙄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1pooh4u said:

I sure feel owned because some jerk off, living in a trailer with no power, voted for Trump 🙄😆🙄

I grew up in rural PA. You can best characterize this area using the following:

1. Low educational attainment
  2. Poor education system overall
  3. High religiosity (in theory, not in practice)
  4. Low wages
  5. Long job commutes
  6. Homogenous (white Christian laborers)
  7. Racist/fearful rhetoric - see #6
  8. Unhealthy - obesity, drugs, alcohol, poor mental health

Needless to say I left and don't visit often. There's no reason to.

I reluctantly went back last week and there were Trump signs everywhere. The one that really got me though was posted on this ugly ass trailer that I initially thought had been abandoned. Many houses are there. It was filthy dirty, crooked, and surrounded by trash.

But as we drove by, a Trump banner came into view and my mind was fucking blown. Ok sure, vote for Trump to "own" me but at the end of the day, I don't live in a shack, suffer from whatever addiction leads a person to live in squalor, work a thankless manual labor job for minimum wage, and live 30 minutes away from the nearest grocery store. So what point system are we using to determine who has won and who has lost here?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Blackrose321 said:

I grew up in rural PA. You can best characterize this area using the following:

1. Low educational attainment
  2. Poor education system overall
  3. High religiosity (in theory, not in practice)
  4. Low wages
  5. Long job commutes
  6. Homogenous (white Christian laborers)
  7. Racist/fearful rhetoric - see #6
  8. Unhealthy - obesity, drugs, alcohol, poor mental health

Needless to say I left and don't visit often. There's no reason to.

I reluctantly went back last week and there were Trump signs everywhere. The one that really got me though was posted on this ugly ass trailer that I initially thought had been abandoned. Many houses are there. It was filthy dirty, crooked, and surrounded by trash.

But as we drove by, a Trump banner came into view and my mind was fucking blown. Ok sure, vote for Trump to "own" me but at the end of the day, I don't live in a shack, suffer from whatever addiction leads a person to live in squalor, work a thankless manual labor job for minimum wage, and live 30 minutes away from the nearest grocery store. So what point system are we using to determine who has won and who has lost here?

Unfortunately as long as rights are taken away from someone somewhere they feel like they won. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I try to mentally reconcile Trump's unwavering base as the product of generations of inbreeding, and that's only partially tongue-in-cheek. Because while it may not be true biologically, it sure as fuck is intellectually. It's a fundamental inability to look beyond your own failures, to recognize what led yourself and your community to this point and what can get you out of it. No, it's far easier to hang on every word of a drooling idiot who promises the world but doesn't give a flying fuck about you. I have exactly zero sympathy for that level of willful ignorance. Let them rot. 

• Like 3

On Jan 6 insurrectionists [13:38]:

"Why are they still being held? Nobody's ever been treated like this. Maybe the Japanese during the second World War, frankly. You know, they were held, too."

Oh yeah, our treatment of Japanese during WW2 was totally the worst anyone was treated in that war, or ever.

This absolute dumbass. I doubt he even knows the conditions of the "internment" camps were, which he's fucking praised as the best thing our country has done. These conditions were unacceptable and they never should have been a thing to beginwith, but there's a very different place where a very different demographic has forever been associated with being thrown in gas chambers and ovens during that exact time period.

Just get the fuck in prison and die a humiliating death already.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Top Gun said:

I try to mentally reconcile Trump's unwavering base as the product of generations of inbreeding, and that's only partially tongue-in-cheek. Because while it may not be true biologically, it sure as fuck is intellectually. It's a fundamental inability to look beyond your own failures, to recognize what led yourself and your community to this point and what can get you out of it. No, it's far easier to hang on every word of a drooling idiot who promises the world but doesn't give a flying fuck about you. I have exactly zero sympathy for that level of willful ignorance. Let them rot. 

People who support Trump are explained by humans willingly supporting tyrants to lead them throughout history, IMO. 

You know some of the societies I mean. 

• Like 3

Welp, my vote's in, so can't blame me for the potential upcoming impending apocalypse. At least not this one. :RoboIndifferent:

BTW, I challenge anyone to listen to what you know who said about Arnold Palmer and be able to honestly say, "Yeah, that guy's presidential material." I thought we had hit the bottom of the barrel with the whole eating cats and dogs thing, but silly me... I forgot. There is no bottom anymore. ::smacks head::

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Insipid said:

I find it ironic that Trump came to Latrobe and praised a famous golfer's penis, as another person came from the area, one of the most wholesome Americans of all time and perhaps the complete antithesis of Trump: Fred Rogers.

I’m not sure I want to know what Fred Roger’s penis looks like either, but I’m sure he was hung like a beast.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Jman said:

But the driving philosophy of these boomers is "I don't care if I'm miserable, so long as others are more miserable, and if I show enough loyalty to the Party, I'll be uplifted."

Yeah, If could drop that "boomers" reference, that'd be great.

The youngest Boomer would be 59/60 years old.  Compare that to the audiences turning up at Mr Cheetos' "events" and they're mostly younger than that.

And Zamyatin's "We" was the superior novel, Wells even said he borrowed heavily from it for 1984.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Insipid said:

I find it ironic that Trump came to Latrobe and praised a famous golfer's penis, as another person came from the area, one of the most wholesome Americans of all time and perhaps the complete antithesis of Trump: Fred Rogers.

I actually got to meet Mr. Rogers briefly as a child when my mom and I happened upon him on the street one time right when he was about to take off in his limo. It was such a long time ago, I can't honestly remember what he said to me, but he was every bit as cordial and polite to us as he was on his show. That much I remember. Still got his autograph somewhere.

• Like 5

On 10/20/2024 at 12:26 PM, Master-Debater131 said:

While there's a lot of focus on the Presidential race, the Senate races are just as important. And just like the Presidential race, the GOP look good in their Senate races.  All they need to do is win 1 seat to flip the Senate if they win the WH, 2 if they want to win it outright.

Right now, the GOP are poised to pick up 2 seats. West Virginia is absolutely going to flip to the GOP, not even worth paying attention there.

Montana is where the GOP look to get their 2nd pickup. Tester has survived a lot of close races, but this one looks like hes done. Sheehy has a 7 point lead in the RCP averages, and has led in every poll since June.

Ohio is also a potential GOP pickup as well. That race is only separated by 0.5% in the RCP polls. A big GOP turnout in the Presidential election may be enough to bring Moreno over the finish line and give the GOP another pickup.

PA, WI, and MI are all also tightening up as the races come to the finish line. A GOP win at the top of the ticket might pull a Senate win for them as well.

Nevada is a long shot for the GOP, but there has been some clear momentum there for the GOP in recent weeks. Polling has tightened up, but Democrats still hold a 6 point lead. Probably enough to hold that seat, but may be one that produces a surprise on election day if trends continue.

As good as the map looks for the GOP, the Democrats are in the exact opposite spot. There are no chances for a pickup this year. They are hilariously putting resources into Texas and Florida, only for the usual Lucy with the Football result. Neither state is particularly close and at no point in these races have the polls been even within the MoE. They are solidly Republican states, and the Senate results will end up that way.

Actions speak louder than words, or in politics actions speak louder than polls. There is more evidence that the top of the ticket is starting to impact down-ballot races in the swing states. Normally when running ads you embrace the candidate at the top of your ticket and say you will support them. Something else is starting to happen though.

In these tough swing states Democrat candidates are now running ads touting how they have worked, and supported, Trump and Trumps policies. You don't do that if you think your candidate is pulling away in the race. Candidates are seeing something in their internal polls that has them worried that Harris will pull them down and cost their own seats.

Republican candidates tried the same thing during the 2018 mid-terms and 2020 nationals when Biden was on the ticket. They knew that the top of the ticket was an anchor so they tried to abandon ship. It didnt work for them. It might work for Democrats in some of these swing states, but it also could mean there is a true cascade happening that gives the GOP more wins than expected.

Theres going to be a surprise somewhere in here on election day, its just a question of where.

• D'oh 2

1 hour ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Actions speak louder than words, or in politics actions speak louder than polls. There is more evidence that the top of the ticket is starting to impact down-ballot races in the swing states. Normally when running ads you embrace the candidate at the top of your ticket and say you will support them. Something else is starting to happen though.

In these tough swing states Democrat candidates are now running ads touting how they have worked, and supported, Trump and Trumps policies. You don't do that if you think your candidate is pulling away in the race. Candidates are seeing something in their internal polls that has them worried that Harris will pull them down and cost their own seats.

Republican candidates tried the same thing during the 2018 mid-terms and 2020 nationals when Biden was on the ticket. They knew that the top of the ticket was an anchor so they tried to abandon ship. It didnt work for them. It might work for Democrats in some of these swing states, but it also could mean there is a true cascade happening that gives the GOP more wins than expected.

Theres going to be a surprise somewhere in here on election day, its just a question of where.

Source? 

• Thanks 2

First one is trying to do the usual “I’m a bipartisan” thing that’s popular in swing states since it mentions Biden policies as well he supported.

Second one has a sign-up wall.

The third one is an opinion piece from the conservative Telegraph.

A lot of candidates in swing states will promote bipartisanship.  Granted, the virulently reactionary GOP is having none of it, but it has worked.  That’s what this is.  Promotion of bipartisanship.

Edited by Jman
  • Thanks 4

50 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Thanks for providing something. It’s customary to source when one prognosticates, and I’m glad for once you’re at least linking to something. Otherwise it reads as ranting.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

NY Times - The website isn't working for me, it requires my email before I can read the article but the page gets stuck. What I can read at the top says that Trump's campaign denounced Casey.

Axios - Politician vulnerable to losing race decides to suck up to opposing side because his state is purple - not indicative of Kamala's chances, just more political bullshit from a nepo baby.

Telegraph - Trying to charge me to read and I'm not signing up for a trial I'll forget to cancel. lol

What are your thoughts on the people turning on Trump, is that a death knell for him as well? Do you relate to Trump calling you a basement dweller? Do you feel he was correct that if he repeats something often enough that you are gullible enough to believe it? 

Edited by Blackrose321
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, Blackrose321 said:

NY Times - The website isn't working for me, it requires my email before I can read the article but the page gets stuck. What I can read at the top says that Trump's campaign denounced Casey.

Axios - Politician vulnerable to losing race decides to suck up to opposing side because his state is purple - not indicative of Kamala's chances, just more political bullshit from a nepo baby.

Telegraph - Trying to charge me to read and I'm not signing up for a trial I'll forget to cancel. lol

What are your thoughts on the people turning on Trump, is that a death knell for him as well? Do you relate to Trump calling you a basement dweller? Do you feel he was correct that if he repeats something often enough that you are gullible enough to believe it? 

I dont necessarily disagree that people turning on Trump could cost him.There is a big difference between who is turning on Trump and who is turning on Harris.

Trump has former staffers, and ex-office holders, turning on him. While this speaks more to his character, Liz Cheney is not going to make people question Trump. Theres also the supreme irony that Dick Cheney has endorsed Harris. The same Dick Cheny who the Left has spent years saying is a war criminal and deserves to be tried and sent to jail for life.

Harris is losing people currently in office. That has a much more immediate and visual impact on things. If people are happy with their Senator, and that Senator starts to hug Trump, they may decide that its OK to also vote for Trump. Thats a very real danger for Harris.

Trump has also been shedding people since basically day 1 in his office. People are a bit immune to that news. This is a new phenomenon for Harris, and its a new thing in the news. Harris is still not a well defined candidate at all, largely at her own fault for not doing media availability. Trump is Trump, and everyone knows what Trump is. It took a literal bullet hitting his ear to change his image.

• Haha 1
  • D'oh 2

4 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Trump has former staffers, and ex-office holders, turning on him. While this speaks more to his character, Liz Cheney is not going to make people question Trump. Theres also the supreme irony that Dick Cheney has endorsed Harris. The same Dick Cheny who the Left has spent years saying is a war criminal and deserves to be tried and sent to jail for life.

Hey, I hear Hitler liked to breath air. Isn't it supreme irony that you, also, like to breath air? What are you, a Hitler?!

See, nobody on the left gives a shit about Dick Cheney's endorsement. Nobody on the left likes or respects Dick Cheney. "Irony" would be if his endorsement moved the needle in any meaningful way, shape, or form. But it didn't, since everyone hates him and would have preferred if he endorsed a shotgun barrel to his own mouth.

• Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Jman said:

McDonalds shoots back at Trump claiming Harris never worked there.

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-mcdonalds-kamala-harris/?10222024

Funny enough, I think some of the most enlightening polls in the last few weeks have been the Trump campaign's internals that he boneheadedly released. Trump may think they show him in a positive light, but I think it shows some unflattering facts like how he does *not* expect to reach 50% of the vote in most of the individual swing states. 

Trump's pollster put together all the positive data he could find (which probably exaggerates where Trump will end up), and it only gets him to 49% in states like Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin. 

I've heard some Trump supporting people claim his focus on getting low propensity voters (young men) to turn out suddenly is a sign that he needs to do *something* to shake up the race in those Rust Belt states. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Belize said:

I've heard some Trump supporting people claim his focus on getting low propensity voters (young men) to turn out suddenly is a sign that he needs to do *something* to shake up the race in those Rust Belt states. 

He's tried shitting his pants on stage. Given his base, that should be a valid start.

• Haha 3