UnevenEdge

2024 Presidential Elections: the schadenfreude commences

NewBluntsworth

1 hour ago, Master-Debater131 said:

I got Biden right, and came within an Inch of getting Trump right to.

Can you imagine what it must be like living in the timeline where Trump took a load to the face and covid put Biden down? This honestly feels like smooth sailing compared to the absolute chaos we narrowly avoided..

1 hour ago, Raptorpat said:

Stefanik too

do they really want Kamala to become president? all their "Trump 47" merch would go to waste, even if Trump won

......Ok, so, like.. how late could they possibly push that? Like... even if Trump does win, could Biden, say.. choose to tap out in, like, December, putting Harris in as 47 for just a couple months prior to transfer of power?

Pleasepleaseplease, if everything starts going to hell, please let everyone be that petty. We need one last good laugh.

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

I was thinking it would have been more nuanced, so as to avoid the exact thing Johnson was threatening, but it looks like he was going for a more complete break.  He timed it about as perfectly as he could though… right after the GOP convention.  That was probably the “succession” plan itself.

I was kinda mulling this over, too. After the debate, when whispers started going around.. even if he did seriously consider it, I think the optics of dropping out right after that debate would look horrible. Had to project strength as best he could for the moment, but knowing there was a limit on how long they could push it. Now is maybe more decent timing (and running out of decent time besides). Covid gives another layer, to have a fresh reminder of his health concerns, and you've got an ok narrative to say "ok, yeah, now we can do this without looking like a complete embarrassment."

• Thanks 1

I do hope that if Drumpf decides to go that route and re-cycle that 'blood coming out of...' type of comments when debating Harris [ which, let's face it, he'll be going after those types of comments anyway ], she absolutely brings up the fact that he's the one that decided to wear a maxipad on the side of his head for 7 days. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

Can you imagine what it must be like living in the timeline where Trump took a load to the face and covid put Biden down? This honestly feels like smooth sailing compared to the absolute chaos we narrowly avoided..

I still half expect something to happen to keep Trump from being on the ticket in November.

This timeline is throwing everything at us, and that would be the ultimate finisher.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

I still half expect something to happen to keep Trump from being on the ticket in November.

This timeline is throwing everything at us, and that would be the ultimate finisher.

I'm just saying.. not being on the ticket isn't necessarily the same thing as not being in the ground.. and we weren't that far off from a country mourning both expected nominees.

2 hours ago, discolé monade said:

everybody seems so happy. but i'm pretty sure this just secured trump into the oval office. and instead of the women, this time, he'll be using the men of the family. 

this doesn't seem like a great idea. but, this is the decision clooney and pelosi thought best for the nation. 

XD

giphy.gif

I thought this for the first minute after I heard the news. The "doomed" feeling began to recede when I realized maybe there won't be a bunch of Democrats fighting each other. I'm not entirely convinced I should be relieved yet, but I am not as terrified as I thought I might be. 

I remember JD Vance's wife's speech. She mentioned how she was Indian, as a way to show her husband's open-mindedness.

Now Kamala can be like, I am a black Desi woman about to become president. Bitch, sit your ass down and stay there for the rest of time.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Jman said:

I maintain Hillary’s issue wasn’t misogyny, at least not most of it, it was being portrayed as heir apparent because she didn’t leave Bill, and that upset people.

But isn’t that portrayal born from misogyny?  She was a Senator and Secretary of State. Her Presidential run had over a decade of separation from her husband’s presidency. Where was she being portrayed as heir apparent because of staying married to one? 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Raptorpat said:

I've seen people saying that from the moment she didn't leave him they knew she stayed as a scheme to become president herself, and then used NY as a stepping stone to get there.

That’s definitely a misogynistic shit take

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

I've seen people saying that from the moment she didn't leave him they knew she stayed as a scheme to become president herself, and then used NY as a stepping stone to get there.

Chicagoans knew exactly who she was once she donned a NYY ball cap.

Even if Democrats lose, this sets a precedent: willingly stepping down from power due to old age. Hell, they can now use George Washington quotes on this matter of transferring power.

I have a smidgen of optimism again. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Raptorpat said:

not that she didn't use NY as a stepping stone, but that kind of narrative "Lady Macbeth" framing is generally terrible and misogynistic.

She was also SoS after she was a senator. Between being First Lady, Senator and SoS, she was the most qualified presidential candidate in a long time (at that time). A man would never be questioned for their ambitions or ever be accused of using their spouse to get a leg up. 

• Like 3

Figured this was coming pretty imminently. Good to see Biden making the right choice. When you lose the Daily Show as a democrat, you know you have no chance really going forward. Smart to wait till just after the republican convention till they have their ticket fully locked in now.

This should significantly improve the democrats' chances. Contrary to the republican collective delusion that Trump is a stronger candidate somehow now, I think it's pretty clear he's weaker than ever. What's strengthened his position a bit really is how the right wing brainwashing machine has extended its reach and grown much more sophisticated and relentless in pounding out its programming into people's brains since he left office. The idea the republican party coming out of their convention has any kind of real unity going on is just a total illusion. The only reason it appears that way is because they don't tolerate any dissention and run anyone out of the party who doesn't march in lock step.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Hillary has endorsed Harris, but Obama has not (yet)

AOC also came out and said it is far from a given that Democrats will unite behind Harris and she will get the nomination.

That’s code for “Time for you to start making the rounds.”  It’s why she’s taken ten times the abuse Bobo and MTG have and not become a punchline.  Obama is using his endorsement as an ace in the hole.

Now that Harris is probably going to be the candidate everyone should push that Trump is too old to run.  If it weren’t for the Adderall he’d only be awake 2 hours a day, more house cat than man. 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, tsar4 said:

image.png.141f3c4b0e522399c6ae506f5da3f301.png

Important question...

Did it bounce?

9 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Now that Harris is probably going to be the candidate everyone should push that Trump is too old to run.  If it weren’t for the Adderall he’d only be awake 2 hours a day, more house cat than man. 

Don't insult house cats like that.

They know how to poop in a box, not their pants.

Cat President...coming soon to [ as ] if I ever actually write it...

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, tsar4 said:

Wonks are pointing out Obama's statement on Joe did not endorse Harris.  Neither has Pelosi.

Obama didn't endorse Biden until after the primary wrapped up, he wants to be the uniter after the deciders decide.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tsar4 said:

Or he's gonna push his wife.

Michelle isn’t going to step in, but… I do see her possibly taking a page out of Hillary’s playbook and becoming active in the campaign.  She has a lot of political capital to spend, and using it for Kamala Harris will almost certainly reap rewards.  The question is, will Kamala be able to get Michelle to buy in?  That’s one of the early campaign storylines that will determine how the campaign goes.

• Like 1