UnevenEdge

Royal Family heading to be by Queens side

Sawdy

22 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

I could have sworn that in the wake of Diana's death and the levels of people that liked her vs hated him, that Charles had deferred his place in favor of the next-in-line to keep the peace - that Diana's son would be the next King. No one wanted Camille listed as Queen of anything other than an ice cream parlor. 

I too thought he deferred his crown to William but they’re already calling him King Charles in the media so maybe Mandela Effect?

Just now, Top Gun said:

Charles officially became the monarch the moment Elizabeth died. The actual coronation is just a formal ceremony.

Damn they really waste no time but I could have sworn Charles was abdicating to his eldest son

they’re calling Camila Queen Consort, Qu Elizabeth had given blessings on that. So Camila has to be called Queen but she has no sovereign powers like Prince Charles also Queen Elizabeth could have given sovereign powers to her husband Philip but I m pretty sure she never did. He was King Consort. I only get interested when they do something other than that my knowledge is nonexistent on the subject 

is this a mandela thing? because i remember that it was stated charles would not be in line ...

after the death of diana, i distinctly remember this, because charles tried to keep him and camilla's plans to marry on the back burner?

dang, i'm losing my mind?

and i think i read that it will be a year before the crown is placed on his head.

Edited by discolé monade
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

I too thought he deferred his crown to William but they’re already calling him King Charles in the media so maybe Mandela Effect?

There was a lot of speculation that she was going to wait for William to come of age and then name him as heir, but again, nothing official was ever released.

• Like 1

It is sad, but to be honest, I've been expecting this for a while.  I saw the news notification that doctors were concerned for her health this morning and I knew it wouldn't be much longer.

Still, though, sad for her family.  96 is quite and age to live to so at least they can take solace in that, I guess.

Edited by CaptainStarwind
Math class is hard
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Damn they really waste no time but I could have sworn Charles was abdicating to his eldest son

they’re calling Camila Queen Consort, Qu Elizabeth had given blessings on that. So Camila has to be called Queen but she has no sovereign powers like Prince Charles also Queen Elizabeth could have given sovereign powers to her husband Philip but I m pretty sure she never did. He was King Consort. I only get interested when they do something other than that my knowledge is nonexistent on the subject 

Philip was known as "Prince Consort," I guess because there's still a difference in optics between "Queen Consort" and "King Consort." The spouse never gets any sovereign powers, just fancy titles.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

Philip was known as "Prince Consort," I guess because there's still a difference in optics between "Queen Consort" and "King Consort." The spouse never gets any sovereign powers, just fancy titles.

I thought with Queens cuz they’re women she could have made Philip the King but she didn’t want to, or was it the king consort title that she didn’t give him for some reason cuz now that I think about it they did refer to him as Prince Philip, didn’t they?  You seem to know a lot about this. What does the king or queen even do? I get the impression they’re the biggest welfare recipients on the planet but I have no idea if that’s true 

4 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

I thought with Queens cuz they’re women she could have made Philip the King but she didn’t want to, or was it the king consort title that she didn’t give him for some reason cuz now that I think about it they did refer to him as Prince Philip, didn’t they?  You seem to know a lot about this. What does the king or queen even do? I get the impression they’re the biggest welfare recipients on the planet but I have no idea if that’s true 

I don't really know all that much about it. This article explains a bit of the prince consort thing in the UK. Apparently "king consort" was a designation that was used in some places a long time ago, but it's not used in the UK. The long and short of it is that the British monarchy is fully hereditary, so simply marrying into it doesn't give you any particular authority. Elizabeth was the sole reigning monarch, and Philip just happened to be married to her. "Prince Consort" isn't an actual official title, but Elizabeth granted him the title "Duke of Edinburgh," which was really just a formality.

As for what the UK's monarch does, he or she is the official head of state of the United Kingdom. In a lot of countries, particularly those with parliamentary systems of government, the roles of chief of state and chief executive are separated. In a constitutional monarchy like the UK, the monarch is the chief of state, and the prime minister is the chief executive; in a parliamentary republic, an elected president is the chief of state. The United States and countries like us are presidential republics, where one elected president holds both roles together. There's probably all sorts of complications I'm glossing over, but that's the basic idea. At this point the British monarch's powers are largely as a ceremonial figurehead: they formally call parliament into session and dissolve it, and they accept the resignation of or confirms the current prime minister, as Elizabeth did a few days ago. They formally represent the nation in affairs of state, even though they generally don't have any decision-making power; I think the official phrasing is that they "advise and consent" the current government. They have the same role in the Commonwealth countries that are still constitutional monarchies, like Canada and Australia, though in those cases there's an appointed office called the Governor-General that pretty much represents the monarch's authority locally.

As far as finances go, this BBC article seems to explain it pretty well. Basically, the monarch receives a yearly grant from the government, but that money generally comes from the Crown Estate, property that the monarchy "owns" but doesn't actually control. There are also separate private holdings by the royal family that they control directly. The British government is responsible for security costs, which I'd assume are substantial, but the monarchy also provides a huge source of tourism revenue, so who knows how it all sorts out.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

I love that Argentina is still so butthurt that they got curb-stomped and 99% of the people on the Falklands want nothing to do with them.

Top… gun…. Holy shit!!! I remember that top gear episode that got banned for talking about that conflict! you’re fucking James May!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, mthor said:

Well, Henry VIII got to keep it, and he chopped the heads off of 2 of his, and divorced how many more?

I think king Henry the 8th’s wife destiny went something like

Divorced, beheaded, died. Divorced, beheaded, survived.  They did an animaniacs about it. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

I could have sworn that in the wake of Diana's death and the levels of people that liked her vs hated him, that Charles had deferred his place in favor of the next-in-line to keep the peace - that Diana's son would be the next King. No one wanted Camille listed as Queen of anything other than an ice cream parlor. 

I only recall it being something royal watchers were pushing for in the wake of Diana’s death.  Both Charles and Camilla kept extremely low around that time.

2 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

That is pretty damn funny and I too would have loved to see their expressions when they discovered they chatted up the Queen without realizing 😆

I would love for someone to try and track those guys down and ask them what happened.  It would be such an amazing follow up to this.

I cant even imagine what that would have been like.

• Like 2

Just now, Master-Debater131 said:

I would love for someone to try and track those guys down and ask them what happened.  It would be such an amazing follow up to this.

I cant even imagine what that would have been like.

I imagine pretty embarrassing, but that was probably felt after their faces turned white and their stomachs dropped from being told who she was and all the questions they asked her. Pretty cool that she just talked to them and never let on 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

Diana was the one that made Charles palpable to people in general. 

That's not entirely fair.  He wasn't actually hated before meeting her, but she did have far more charisma and presence in general than he did.  The problem with having a partner that charismatic is that when things happen, you become an instant villain.  That's not to absolve him from any blame for the collapse of that relationship and his subsequent inability to protect her from the intense pressure.  It's just that the very thing that made her so beloved to the people was what made her incompatible with the stiff constraints of royal life itself.  A lot of the blame Charles gets for her tragic life is rightly directed at the institution itself.

In the intervening year, Charles' activism has garnered him some begrudging respect and, out of her shadow, he's been able to hold his own.

15 minutes ago, Sawdy said:

I just read Prince Andrew is getting the queens Corgis….

ok… now I’m pissed

I was, too, but he's still sharing a residence with Fergie, who likes dogs and knows the corgis. (Although Andrew may deserve corgis - if you don't know them, they can be total shits.)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mthor said:

I was, too, but he's still sharing a residence with Fergie, who likes dogs and knows the corgis. (Although Andrew may deserve corgis - if you don't know them, they can be total shits.)

I’ve had one…. And the only thing Andrew deserves is a short drop and a sudden stop

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sawdy said:

I’ve had one…. And the only thing Andrew deserves is a short drop and a sudden stop

He may get it - I've been living with two corgis for four years now, and they're a real tripping hazard. (Especially in the kitchen - they materialize right under foot whenever I'm cooking.)

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Sawdy said:

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/scandals-queen-elizabeths-reign-2022-09-08/

I didn’t realize Philip had ties to the Nazi Party

Yep the Mountbattens (his family) had some Nazis. They brought it up in the Crown.

Really funny how stuff like Phillip's Nazi connections, Wales hating British monarchs being their prince, and the end of British colonialism during Elizabeth's reign all came up in the Crown and are now coming to a head IRL with her death.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

The streets were packed with people watching the Queen’s hearse. I guess they love her cuz no one was throwing eggs or garbage at her casket.  What I’m seeing online isn’t matching with reality that’s for sure. 

British decorum. Plus, since it is an historical moment [ the death of a monarch that had always existed as far as the vast majority of the population is concerned ] , even haters in the crowd would refrain from causing a scene. They would be there to silently witness the body passing through. 

By the time the coronation hits, though, the booksellers will be fat with all the books. 

• Like 1